mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Need advice for getting fat

I could use some advice for getting fat! First, some info about me, I'm 5'10", 160#. I'll be using the bike for winter riding (oh yeah North Dakota) and bikepacking, so durability and ease of maintenance are high priority. I prefer slacker geometry so I could ride it on trails too, rigid and 1x drivetrain would be nice for the durability factor. I've done some research and found a few options, suggestions welcome for other rides under $3K.

- Trek Farley 7, 2016 model, $1850. I don't know what I'm waiting for on this one, really.
    - Specialized Fatboy or Comp Carbon. These have a bit steeper head tube angle than I'd like. $1600 or 2800 at my LBS.
    - Custom Surly ICT with SRAM GX, Hayes Prime brakes, RaceFace Turbine cockpit and cranks, Hope Pro 4 hubs/Mulefut 80 wheels. $2860, but I can build it exactly how I want it and maybe trim the price with online deals.
    - RSD Mayor.

I'm leaning toward the Surly build, but not convinced there's nearly a grand in value over the Farley 7 there. Thanks for ideas, tips, ridicule, etc....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Aluminum vs steel, and the ability to choose exactly what you want on the build and have hand built wheels to boot? That's so worth a grand to me, but you need to do what works for you.

If out of the box and ride works for you, and money's tight, well, then that's a different story.

I'd go SLX build, right down the brakes, (cranks, well, yeah, where are ya, Shimano??) but to each their own in that debate.

If you know enough about it to care about choosing parts, building, while more $, is always more fun too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yeah, the fun of building a bike myself is why I'm leaning that way. I can dial in the colors, and I'm sure Hope hubs are a nice step up from the OEM Trek/Specialized. I've really been wanting to try a steel frame too. I suppose the devil really is in the details, because my proposed custom build has nicer parts in places people usually don't look. Hubs, BBs, stems, seatposts.

Mostly wanting to bounce some ideas of the wall, since the Farley 7 is pretty close to what I was building in my head. Same rims, drivetrain, RF cranks.

I also like the idea of riding something "different". Even if there are a million Surly fat bikes out there.

FB&H rider
    If you've got the cash.... sure go for it!
    Definitely ride a few if you can. I had trouble finding fatties where I live and almost went for the Spesh - really loved my first ride but was finally able to find another shop and tried a Surly, another Specialized, and a couple Treks. My wife and I both noted that I rode much better and looked/felt more comfortable on the Trek.

But all good bikes in any case!
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

Nice little extra with Hops hubs, if you order from them as opposed to a supplier (they have a distribution center in TX) you can get the stainless freehub body, which will hold up far better to the large range cogs everyone's using nowadays too.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VCaddy View Post
    I could use some advice for getting fat! First, some info about me, I'm 5'10", 160#. I'll be using the bike for winter riding (oh yeah North Dakota) and bikepacking, so durability and ease of maintenance are high priority. I prefer slacker geometry so I could ride it on trails too, rigid and 1x drivetrain would be nice for the durability factor. I've done some research and found a few options, suggestions welcome for other rides under $3K.

- Trek Farley 7, 2016 model, $1850. I don't know what I'm waiting for on this one, really.
    - Specialized Fatboy or Comp Carbon. These have a bit steeper head tube angle than I'd like. $1600 or 2800 at my LBS.
    - Custom Surly ICT with SRAM GX, Hayes Prime brakes, RaceFace Turbine cockpit and cranks, Hope Pro 4 hubs/Mulefut 80 wheels. $2860, but I can build it exactly how I want it and maybe trim the price with online deals.
    - RSD Mayor.

I'm leaning toward the Surly build, but not convinced there's nearly a grand in value over the Farley 7 there. Thanks for ideas, tips, ridicule, etc....
    I'd be on that Farley bargain based on your mentioning budget and my renting and riding them and the Surly. They're just nice bikes. I love steel frames but the feel didn't seem so important with fat bikes. Trek's sliding dropouts will be nice if you're interested in 29+ or Trek's 27.5 wheels.

Not fair for exact bike but probably fair for weight, I did a comparison ride with friends a few weeks ago. One had an Wednesday, a Mukluk owner, a Farley 7 and steel Kona Honzo. In that case and with whatever fatter tires do the steel fat bike just felt heavy opposed to the Honzo's fun.

This might kill your bike packing idea but we just got a closeout Farley 9.6 for a super price and I'm sure more are around.

IMO most if not all well known bike companies have good stuff these days. You can't beat the value of the OEM stuff, and working on your bike engine will do a lot more than special bike parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My current stable houses 3 fatbikes, Surly Moonlander, Spec. Fatboy and a 907. Ive owned several others as well.

I love Surly, but they're heavier than heck. They are steel, and thats awesome. I just had my Moonlander welded back together, steel is real.
    The Fatboy is a rocket ride. Fast, nimble and it uses the same geom. as some of their XC oriented bikes. The FB is my current favorite trail/snowbike, followed closely by the 907.
    My 907 is a little smallish for me, but Im digging it for its laid back geom and its flick-ability. This bike makes me wanna to fast and catch air.
    Ive custom built well over 5000 bikes so far, Ive worked in bike shops for over 30 years, so Ive had access to the best of the best. I prefer a custom build, but only when I can do it in a timely manor. None of this 6 month wait crap.
    Honestly though, after years of riding only the best, I find a certain novelty in riding off the shelf bikes. Less of a pain in the ass.

turtles make me hot
    I happen to like 907 frames very much. I've built a bunch of em for my family and friends.
    For you, I'd do something like this: 907 alloy frame, Hope hubs with stainless driver, Raceface Aeffect cranks set up single with a Wolftooth 28 tooth ring, Shimano 11-42 11 speed cassette, Other Brother Darryl rims and whatever tires suit your needs.
    My current favorite combo is 4.8 Knard rear and 4.8 Bud on the front. You could get away with much smaller, lighter tires. I weigh about 100 pounds more than you.
    I also run 29+ wheels on this same bike.
    Plan B: Build a Surly Moonlander or Pugsly since they use regular 135mm rear hubs and are pretty foolproof.
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Or you can get a XD driver and an E13 cassette (or SRAM) and be done with a Shimano type freehub body.
    I've replaced 4 XD drivers in the last two months.

Weak ass design IMHO, but, YMMV.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Fit, fit, fit.
    Ride, ride, ride.

I agree with you needing to ride them to feel out what fits YOU best. Sure, you can adjust things here and there, but one will speak to you and just feel right.

Also, if you are bike packing, plan on what mounts and racks you are thinking will be good. Are those included in your budget? Quality lightweight back/bike packing gear is NOT cheap, but worth every penny. Depending on your trip, more so than some nice hubs or cool matchy grips and bits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just got a '16 Fatboy for the wife, and a '17 for me. I tried Spesh, Trek Farley 5 & 7 Surly, and Framed. The Spesh hands down had the best geometry and feel. It rides and climbs awesome. Also, I believe the Farley has a steeper head tube. The Spesh gives you a more upright feeling. Just a thought. It comes with a carbon fork, Aeffect crank. Only thing no good is the brakes. I paid 1700 for mine, and it looks sic in white.

Just some thoughts, as I rode a bunch of different brands, and spent over a month making a decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Some thoughts. Is the Farley a 27.5 rim? Planning on running studded tires? Haven't seem them in that size yet. Running 5" tires? 26 " rims seem to have the most options? No front fork? I love my bluto for the frozen ruts and footprints in the winter. The sus fork , for me, makes it more of a 4 season all around trail bike. Bikepacking? Looked at rack mounts on each frame? Also think about your bike packing rig with 29x3" tires and a front fork. Options are a good thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
    Also, if you are bike packing, plan on what mounts and racks you are thinking will be good. Are those included in your budget? Quality lightweight back/bike packing gear is NOT cheap, but worth every penny. Depending on your trip, more so than some nice hubs or cool matchy grips and bits.
    The bikepacking gear will be a little later on, but that's a good idea to think about what bags and racks are gonna work. Mostly trying to get on a fat bike for this year's winter, but you can probably tell that I'm trying for a highly versatile ride here.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Some thoughts. Is the Farley a 27.5 rim? Planning on running studded tires? Haven't seem them in that size yet. Running 5" tires? 26 " rims seem to have the most options? No front fork? I love my bluto for the frozen ruts and footprints in the winter. The sus fork , for me, makes it more of a 4 season all around trail bike. Bikepacking? Looked at rack mounts on each frame? Also think about your bike packing rig with 29x3" tires and a front fork. Options are a good thing.
    The Farley 7 is set up 26x4.7, I think it's capable of 27.5x4 and 29+ though. I rode my 29er last year through the winter, so I don't really need studded tires. Not much for hardpack snow or ice around here, at least that's what I figure studs would shine on. I'd like the frame to be suspension corrected, in case I wanted to upgrade to a Bluto. Seems like riding in -20 weather would be hard on one though.

Only fat bike I've ridden so far was a Farley 5, it felt pretty light and nimble. I could get the front wheel up over obstacles easily, maybe easier than my Goblin Evo. I could try the Specialized, and I have a friend with a Salsa Mukluk. No Surly ride options around here though.

bigger than you.
    eat bacon, drink beer. repeat. you'll be fat in no time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I tried this a few years ago, it was really effective. Until I decided I wanted to ride the Maah Daah Hey 100.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I am currently following this advice. Gotta stop but bacon tastes SO good.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Borealis Flume! Nice bike and in your price range.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

banned
    Aug 2016
    Pay no mind to the "need slack" jibber jabber mindset. It's bull. Just picked up a Fatboy comp from specialized and it's way quicker sharper handling for trail riding than my slack trail bike.

mtbr member
    I just got a 2017 Farley 7 and am super happy with it. It has an aggressive feel and is pretty quick and responsive. Love the Barbergazi 4.7 tires. The bike has a nice ride and will corner with the best. It weighed in at 30lbs out of the box (21.5 w/tubes and pedals).That being said you may want to go and ride as many as you can as they all feel a little different. All I can say is there is no buyers remorse here for sure!
    Good Luck
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Farleys are sweet. Excellent geo, newest tech, options.

Specialized - I didn't get one because the models I saw were still 9mm axles with quick release. Unless you're really really light, that adds a lot of flex. My dual through axle rig tracks with laser precision. If the new ones are through axle, I'd consider them.

Ice Cream Truck has all the right specs and fantastic geometry but is heavy as hell.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Farleys are sweet. Excellent geo, newest tech, options.

Specialized - I didn't get one because the models I saw were still 9mm axles with quick release. Unless you're really really light, that adds a lot of flex. My dual through axle rig tracks with laser precision. If the new ones are through axle, I'd consider them.

Ice Cream Truck has all the right specs and fantastic geometry but is heavy as hell.
    The 2017 Specialized have thru axles, but I think my LBS has 2016 models on the floor still. They're still using 1x10 drivetrain too, I'd rather have 1x11. Might as well jump on the hottest bandwagon if I'm getting a new bike.

The new for '17 Ice Cream Truck is yellow, can't say I love that color. I doubt there's many blue '16 models in the supply line given the recent clearance sales.