A neat idea.- Mtbr.com

Thread: A neat idea.

This place needs an enema

A neat idea.

Link here.

I think I'd be more likely to skate on those trails if I had them in my backyard, but it seems that studded fatties could have some fun there, too.

Maybe ride the fatty *to* the trails, skate, and then ride home...

Candlestick Maker
    I enjoy just going in circles, but trail skating would be awesome! I'll have to see if there are any places like that near my wife's hometown (N Ontario, a few miles from the Quebec border)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A neat idea.-keystone-skating.png  

baker

turtles make me hot
    I would be way more likely to skate on a trail. Rinks are boring. Kinda the same reason I wont do stationary bikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    We have a skate trail in Michigan. And after you done skating you can go down one of the three luge tracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnjbStA1vwo
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

beer thief
    Pretty cool. I wonder if bikes are allowed on these networks? The article does not mention that. We have some areas that are maze-like ice in certain conditions. Fun when it happens.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I'll have to see if there are any places like that near my wife's hometown (N Ontario, a few miles from the Quebec border)
    There is one in Val-d'Or, QC if you're interested. Only for skating but it attracks a lot of people it seem.

mtbr member
    Just remember, if you step off your bike (w/studs) onto the ice, you will probably fall on your ass.

Not speaking from experience or anything lol.

Snow Dog
    I would be there in a heartbeat!!! I like rinks as well, having been a rink rat all my life.

Back in the 70's and 80's, when we had real winters here, we would also skate on rivers and ponds. That was a bit rougher to skate on b/c of what froze into the ice...sticks, rocks etc. We always had our rink skates (better ones) and our pond skates (older ones)

I doubt they would let bikes/studs on the ice cause it would really tear it up for the skates, but it would be cool to build a secondary lane for bikes only that followed the same trail.
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    There is one in Val-d'Or, QC if you're interested. Only for skating but it attracks a lot of people it seem.
    Thanks! I've never been over there, but would like to check it out some year. I'm always reminded how enormous and unpopulated Canada is when I look at a map. Val-d'Or is apparently about 2:45 away from my in-laws place near New Liskeard.
    baker

mtbr member
    My old stomping grounds. I used to live in Montreal, but when I was there it was all about downhill skiing for me.

I doubt they let fat bikes on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Looks fun. A lot better than skating in an oval with 50 other people.

Back in the late 70's we had an ice storm. I remember putting on the skates and going through all the neighbors backyards. Then got the idea to take the schwinn out on it and that was awesome too. Back when I was 9 yo wiping out on ice was fun and even probably done on purpose.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Once you get past the mixed ice/dirt (like field skating), the core 'lake' in the middle goes on for a while.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uubECEZgnFU&t=870

Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Thanks! I've never been over there, but would like to check it out some year. I'm always reminded how enormous and unpopulated Canada is when I look at a map. Val-d'Or is apparently about 2:45 away from my in-laws place near New Liskeard.
    The country is big yes and here up North everything just get farther apart from each other.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm thinking that maintaining a skate trail of any considerable length (keeping it snow and debris free and always iced up) would be cost prohibitive. Thus the reason we have indoor and outdoor rinks and that you don't see many skate trails. Rinks are easy to maintain and less expensive.

If skating in circles is boring then look to skating frozen lakes, flowages and rivers.

mtbr member
    Depends on the rink probably. I have set up ones at parks where it is boards and once snow arrives you pile it at the edge and then flood it, but it still needs maintenance when it snows etc and smoothing out. For the most part mother nature takes care of the surface. That's proabably the cheapest way to do it. The last few years a local club has paid us to set one up in the parking lot of an indoor ice rink so the kids can always have ice time. Foam underlayment, pex tubing for the cooling system, boards, and a cooling system with 250gallons of glycol. Conservatively setup and teardown is 10 grand/year, then the rental of a semi trailer cooler unit. Then clearing snow and ice that doesn't bind to the surface, and running a zamboni over it. Probably ends up costing as much as ice time, but the kids love playing outdoors so it's kinda cool. The cost of running an indoor rink is crazy. But even a simple outdoor one needs a fair amount of volunteer upkeep at the minimum.

Growing up we skated ponds, frozen waterways, drainage ditches. Those were some of the best times I remember skating. I think for a trail once you get the snow piled at the sides it would hold water and freeze it. then it would be minimal to run a snow blower up and down it. I can't imagine too many people going there to shred and cause it to get tore up to the point it would need a zamboni run over it. And yes, they do have a zamboni about 24" wide

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Back in Victorian England, specifically in the east where there's flat low lying ground, when there was a prolonged frost they would deliberately flood a field with a few cm of water, just enough to cover whatever vegetation was there. Being shallow it would quickly freeze then they'd skate on it until the thaw. No risk of drowning that you might get on a pond or river. I'm not sure how they kept it clear of snow unless they just let the wind do that and then skated on the clear areas.

The Dutch used to have skating races on their frozen drainage ditch systems but I don't think they've been run for a few years now. They weren't short track races either, maybe upto 50km.