Thread: Nates and sand?

mtbr member

Nates and sand?

My fat tire options [for two Pugsleys] are:

- Endos x 4
    - Larry x 2
    - Nates x 2

All in good to new shape.

I'm hoping to get to the OR Dunes this year at least once...ideally twice. Once solo to scout and then once with the GF to get her Fat Bike virginity taken care of in style!...

Anyways my question is given a high degree of laziness on my part is there any major downside to Nates on sand [assume a variety of water content and softness]? If there is I can spoon an Endo/Larry onto my Pug, but for 2 days of sand riding I'm tempted to just run Nates.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Lake Michigan

I've ridden on the sand along the shores of Lake Michigan (northern Illinois) with both the stock Larry/Endo combo and a pair of Nates (27tpi) on my Surly Necromancer. They both work, but the Nates are definitely slower and kick up sand like you wouldn't believe.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I probably don't need Nates here in the summer so I can get lazy the other way and just leave the Larry/Endo combo on until it gets wet again in the fall.

I find team morale is higher when my GF and I are running the same critical items of gear.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Thanks. I probably don't need Nates here in the summer so I can get lazy the other way and just leave the Larry/Endo combo on until it gets wet again in the fall.

I find team morale is higher when my GF and I are running the same critical items of gear.
    You do not want to dig in on the Oregon Dunes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Geordie biker
    Yeah, my experience nates on sand are they drag and although you can manage, it's harder work, regardless of dry, wet or sticky sand.

Pugsley was ok with nates on as was the moonlander but I preferred the endo/larry setup when on dunes and beaches.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll swap over to the Larry/Endos. I have 'em in the garage. I just needed the justification to crank open a couple beers and get the swap done...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've run Larry x2 and Larry / Endo on a pugs in sand. I couldn't tell a difference in the sand, but i liked the Larry x2 combo better on the roads around the sand.

I wonder when you're heading down? I'm in Seattle with a Moonlander and have been meaning to get down there.

Rednose/Greenback
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbrubaker View Post
    I've run Larry x2 and Larry / Endo on a pugs in sand. I couldn't tell a difference in the sand, but i liked the Larry x2 combo better on the roads around the sand.

I wonder when you're heading down? I'm in Seattle with a Moonlander and have been meaning to get down there.
    Also have Larry's x2 (70mm rims) on my greenback. Earlier this year, I was down on Amelia Island (Florida) a couple of times and rode it on the around Ft Clinch State Park and some local beaches. No issues at all once I lowered the pressure a bit. Some types of sand conditions were easier to ride than others but there was never anything where it got too bad.

Transitioning from sand to adjacent roads and paths was easy and often required no change in PSI either- at least for me. FWIF, I do not use a guage- just hand squeeze to guesstimate air pressure. Being a true clyde, dual Larry's are proving to be great tires where ever I ride.
    38 54' -77 15

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    And if you can get a BFL for the back, that might be as good a setup as you could squeeze into the pugs

And if you can get a BFL for the back, that might be as good a setup as you could squeeze into the pugs
    Rim width makes more difference than swapping an Endo/Larry for a Big Fat Larry.
    On 65mm rims the BFL is only a few mm wider than the smaller tires and much rounder.
    On 100mm rims the difference is much greater,
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    True, but you can run a bit higher pressures, which seems easier to pedal to me. And it's easier to swap tires than rims.

mtbr member

I won't be buying a $140 tire for a few days of sand riding. I pack light and I'm a median weight for a man so my rear tire doesn't see an unusual amount of weight.

I've spent months at the beach on Endos over the years I've owned my Pugs. I know 65mm rims and 3.7" tires are old news, but they still work great like they did when they were the only option...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

True, but you can run a bit higher pressures, which seems easier to pedal to me. And it's easier to swap tires than rims.
    Not the direction you want to go for dry, deep, soft sand.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    My first ride on Nates was in the sand and it was far more work than an Endo. Nates are the trick for certain snow conditions and places where riding in mud is acceptable but and Endo in the rear and a Larry in the front is the best setup IMO

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How would Nates go in the sand for towing? The Endo tends to slip a little which is loss of energy.

Al

Geordie biker
    they dig in on damp sand, dry sand they are ok but still hard work over distance compared with BFL, larrys etc....

heres my puglsey with nates and my moonlander with BFL.....

girlfriend was slower and used more effort to keep up with me....

she had to use my tracks in the end, to keep up!

www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

is buachail foighneach me
    The rolling resistance is not as noticeable with a Nate up front, and the steering is hard to beat. I've used it briefly(1.5hrs) on wet sand and tidal mud and it worked fine with a Larry out back.

And comparing Nates on 65's to BFLs on 100's isn't exactly a fair fight, Saltyman...

mtbr member
    I'm running a Nate in the rear with a RD and a Nate in the front with a Clown Shoe. Significantly better in sand (wet or dry) than the Endo and Larry combo on LM's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Saltyman,
    I may be way off the mark here but it doesn't look like the bike your GF is on is running a low enough tyre pressure for that sand and her weight

Al

Geordie biker
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Saltyman,
    I may be way off the mark here but it doesn't look like the bike your GF is on is running a low enough tyre pressure for that sand and her weight

Al
    its was, it actually had a slow puncture from sand dune thorns and was just left as it was for the beach, so was running around 3-4psi!....against my own bikes 5-6psi.

didnt bother fixing it as it was suitable for the sand as it was stable for the time we were ther.....this picture shows rear tire softness.

www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Geordie biker
    i did manage a days testing on rocky/sandy coast line, didnt experiment with tire pressures but im keen to give it a new go with the moonlander/nate setup soon.

was ok, especially coming from rough ground to sand then back into boggy areas where the tires self cleaned really well.

my pugsley was better on sand with nates on than the moonlander, probaly because the tire pressures were more dialled in, rim choice didnt make much difference but could do if i dabble pressures.
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Saltyman, Told you I may be off the mark! One is able to see the low PSI in that pic.

Al

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you've got the chance, try a pair of Black Floyd's in the sand...

Members who have read this thread: 0