mtbr member
    Jul 2018

My very cheap fat bike build

So i bought this monstrosity the other day for a price i could not refuse. It was spraybomb green and pink. The brakes are garbage. I rode it for about 60 seconds before tearing it apart. My first time on a fat bike but it was super fun. I'll need to replace some parts but I think i can have a nice fat bike for 200-250 bucks. I was told the frame was from a schwinn biggity but i don't really know.

My very cheap fat bike build-received_245057806423143.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-received_277019676326207.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    First thing I stripped the whole bike and painted it. I paint in a collision shop so i stripped the paint, epoxy primer, then base and clear. A very high quality, durable paint job. Handlebars were flaked and rusty so i redid them in black.

My very cheap fat bike build-20190125_084024.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-20190125_120125.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-20190124_134619.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-20190124_134638.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cool! Looking forward to seeing how your bike evolves!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Don't be afraid to spend on the tires. They'll make or break your fatbiking experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Don't be afraid to spend on the tires. They'll make or break your fatbiking experience.
    BME107 hit it on the head. New tires is like a new bike

Up In Smoke
    Pretty sweet score. I'm all for these budget builds.

This place needs an enema
    Rusty bars = sketchy. Bars are cheaper than new teeth.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Yep. And fwiw, looking at Universal Cycles online, they have closeout Schwalbe Jumbo Jims, 4.4 and 4.8 tires on closeout at 66 bucks a piece. Figure this is a great chance to upgrade those crap tires for one of the best all-around fat bike tires at a bargain price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Rusty bars = sketchy. Bars are cheaper than new teeth.
    It was just surface rust...nothing a little 500 grit couldn't take care of.

I had painted the handlebars but a local guy gave me some parts for free!

Got an easton carbon bar, avid juicy 7 hydraulic disc brakes and rotors, a new seat, longer stem and a set of grips. Also picked up a set of victor pedals, new and still in packaging, from kijiji for 10 bucks.

Started putting it together today.

My very cheap fat bike build-20190128_000935.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-20190128_122745.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-screenshot_20190128-152254.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Yep. And fwiw, looking at Universal Cycles online, they have closeout Schwalbe Jumbo Jims, 4.4 and 4.8 tires on closeout at 66 bucks a piece. Figure this is a great chance to upgrade those crap tires for one of the best all-around fat bike tires at a bargain price.
    thanks but i'm in canada. i did find a guy selling a surly nate and endomorph, 3.7 and 3.8 but i do't know how they compare to wider tires (i also don't know the width of my rim)

my other options for tires are 2 takeoffs from a LBS for $40 each tire (not sure what brand) or canadian tire has kenda k1188 but could't find any reviews for them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Antonovich View Post
    thanks but i'm in canada. i did find a guy selling a surly nate and endomorph, 3.7 and 3.8 but i do't know how they compare to wider tires (i also don't know the width of my rim)

my other options for tires are 2 takeoffs from a LBS for $40 each tire (not sure what brand) or canadian tire has kenda k1188 but could't find any reviews for them.
    Hi, looks like the rims are 100m wide or thereabouts, might be a bit less measured internally. Running 3.8 tires on those will be a bit of a stretch as basically the rim will be wider than the tire (not very secure and limited rim protection etc). For Canada and snow you'd be better off with 4.4/ 4.8s as long as they fit the frame etc.

The few upgrade bits look good. Just about any aluminium seatpost would be an improvement in looks and function (no big exposed bolts to hook up on your clothing).

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    Hi, looks like the rims are 100m wide or thereabouts, might be a bit less measured internally. Running 3.8 tires on those will be a bit of a stretch as basically the rim will be wider than the tire (not very secure and limited rim protection etc). For Canada and snow you'd be better off with 4.4/ 4.8s as long as they fit the frame etc.

The few upgrade bits look good. Just about any aluminium seatpost would be an improvement in looks and function (no big exposed bolts to hook up on your clothing).
    Thanks, I thought it might be stretched. I'll look into something else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    As you can see, spray bomb isn't a very good option. hit it with a little squirt of thinner and it immediately fried up and lifted right off. I could just get it off without even wiping it.

My very cheap fat bike build-20190130_172100.jpg

Painted the rims black and did a mid coat over top of pearls and metallic. just whatever was leftover from painting cars. the red line is just a reflection of a heat lamp. the only issue now will be respoking the wheels which i have no idea about lol.

My very cheap fat bike build-20190131_102912.jpg

My very cheap fat bike build-20190131_102944.jpg