My Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

My Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes

Transporting a bike hanging off a hitch mounted bike carrier can be pretty nasty in Alaska and driving a truck with a fat tire bike hanging off the end in winter would end in an ice encrusted monstrosity if you drove any distance in nasty weather so I wanted to make an internal rack for my bikes.
    My truck has D-Rings at both ends of the bed so I bought two lengths of angle iron with holes spaced the same as my Saris Fork Mount. Bolt the angle irons together so they reach between the D Rings and attach the Fork Mount and my ROAD bikes get a nice, enclosed ride in the back of my truck with it's Leer Topper. The angle iron at the end of the bed is just for attaching miscellaneous whatevers.

BUT...my fat tire bike's fork (and my wife's) will not fit in the space between the angle iron the the back of the truck bed so I had to glue and screw some wood together onto which I could bolt a Saris Fork Mount, to which I in turn attached a Hurricane Fork Up adapter for 15mm thru axles. Now we can take off the front wheel and "toss" the bikes in the back and start a winter ride with clean mean rollin machines.

My Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes-1.jpgMy Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes-2.jpgMy Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes-3.jpgMy Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes-4.jpgMy Truck Rack for transporting fatbikes-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Very Nice!
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pretty sweet. I'm thinking you could bolt the front axle holders to the front plane of the angle iron so the bikes sit lower and you won't need the wood blocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My buddy just bolted his straight to the bed of his truck. Added some epoxy to seal it. Seems to work well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    Pretty sweet. I'm thinking you could bolt the front axle holders to the front plane of the angle iron so the bikes sit lower and you won't need the wood blocks.
    Bikes are too big. 🚴

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I thought about that...