My son took my Tallboy; need to modify Fatback for rooted rocky New England riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My son took my Tallboy; need to modify Fatback for rooted rocky New England riding

My son is using my full squish Tallboy (which I love) and left me his Sette carbon hardtail which is a nice bike but brutal for New England conditions. I have several options and need advice so please bear with me:

1. Put 30mm inside diameter rims on the Sette and run a 2.4 Ardent in back plus Syntace P6 seatpost to dampen the ride.
    2. Put a suspension fork on my aluminum Fatback, running Hed 85mm rear wheel with Snowshoe in back. I would have to buy a fork with straight steerer which limits the choices but I could get a Rockshox Sid for $580.
    3. Buy a carbon fatty frame and use the Fox F29 from the Sette (tapered steerer which is why I can't use it with the Fatback). I would have to find a carbon fatty with 170mm qr rear as I don't want to re-build my Hed wheel.

Option 2 would be the easiest but option 3 would get me a lighter bike. I realize 1/2 fat won't be the same as full suspension but running the rear at 8psi would be much more forgiving than a conventional 29er hardtail like the Sette. Of course I would switch back to my carbon rigid 135mm fork for snowbiking. Any opinions and similar experiences would be appreciated.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    You can buy headsets to install a tapered fork into a straight head tube. I just did it on my wife's bike using a headset from Hope. That would get your Fatback on the trail
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    You can buy headsets to install a tapered fork into a straight head tube. I just did it on my wife's bike using a headset from Hope. That would get your Fatback on the trail
    If it is a straight 44mm headtube, you can. But if it's a straight 34mm headtube, it's a no go.

If it was me, the boy wouldn't be taking my FS bike.

But I can't really tell you what to do about the bike. I would in no way consider purchasing a SID fork for rocky trails on a fatbike. 1/2 fat is usually done on the front, not the rear. So I'd expect odd handling with a narrow front and fat rear. I'd look at a Wren fork for the fatbike, to be honest. Get the 110mm travel version and use the included clips to set the travel/a-c to where you like it best. You can get it with a straight steerer, though the wait would prob be longer. Might also have to look for a local Wren dealer or e-mail Wren about it.

Also, which hubs are on your HED wheels? They can probably get new endcaps to work with a thru axle, is my guess. HED doesn't sell their stuff with cheapie hubs, AFAIK.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wren has a couple of their 2014 forks for straight steerers on sale Wren Suspension Forks | Wren Sports

there's also the rst renegade which has a straight steerer option.

turtles make me hot
    I ride my fat bike in Maine from time to time on 4.8" tires. Rigid fork. Get the pressure right and it works fine.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    Wren on the fatback FTW!
    Add a carbon seatpost if you don't have one already, should ease the roughness in the rear

Norūwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
    there's also the rst renegade which has a straight steerer option.
    This RST review is quite good really, if my bike didn't come with a bluto and I wasn't going to spring for an olaf I'd definitely consider a renegade.

https://fat-bike.com/2016/08/review-...spension-fork/