My Review of the 2014 Surly Pug “Ops” the Green one.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My Review of the 2014 Surly Pug “Ops” the Green one.

Review of the 2014 Surly Pug “Ops” the Green one.
    <O</O
    -94b38ca0-b441-4113-a8ff-3e29fbdff86c-9702-0000060ef3ae29f3_zpsfc1024d3.jpg

List price $2150
    <O</O
    A bigger footed, much more color matched version of a standard Pugsley. Where the standard Pugsley sports 65mm-wide Large Marge double-wall rims, the Pug Ops (the “ops” is for optional) utilizes our 82mm-wide single-wall Holy Rolling Darryl rims to expand its tireprint, thereby increasing its traction and snowshoe-like float over all sorts of terrain. The increase in rim width does put the tire closer to the chain, so to avoid chain rub we spec’d this bike with our OD Crankset. This provides all the chain/tire clearance necessary while retaining low- and mid-range gearing for crawling through the sticky and flying under the radar. The Pug Ops is available as a complete bike (with a Moonlander fork) and as a frame, no fork. Choose the right one for you from our fat bike fork offerings…or pick something else (there are a few non-Surly options out there) and build up your ride to suit your specific needs. Frogman suit not included.

Frameset

Frame</SPAN>
    Surly Pugsley, Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double butted. TIG-welded</SPAN>

Fork</SPAN>
    Surly Moonlander, 135mm O.L.D., non-offset. 4130 CroMoly. TIG-welded. 1-1/8˝ threadless steer tube, uncut</SPAN>

Drivetrain</SPAN>
    Crankset</SPAN>
    Surly OD, Offset Double, 36/22</SPAN>

Bottom Bracket</SPAN>
    Surly Enduro with sleeve, external, Cormoly, for 100mm shell</SPAN>

Front Derailleur </SPAN>
    Shimano SLX, FD-675-D, direct mount via Problems Solvers adapter. Top Pull. Black</SPAN>

Rear Derailleur </SPAN>
    LX RD-T670 SGS, black, LX RD-T670 SGS, Black</SPAN>

Cog or Cogset</SPAN>
    Shimano HG62-10-speed, 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-26-30-34</SPAN>

Chain</SPAN>
    KMC x10RB, It busts rust!</SPAN>

Components</SPAN>
    Headset</SPAN>
    Cane Creek 40, 1-1/8˝ threadless. Black</SPAN>

Brakes </SPAN>
    Avid BB7, Cable actuated. All black 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors</SPAN>

Brake Levers</SPAN>
    Avid FR-5, Black</SPAN>

Shifters</SPAN>
    Shimiano SLX, SLX front, Shimano SLX 10spd rear</SPAN>

Stem</SPAN>
    Kalloy AS025N, 31.8mm bar clamp</SPAN>

Handlebar</SPAN>
    Salsa ProMoto 2, 31.8 clamp diameter. Width 700mm XS-M, 750mm L-XXL</SPAN>

Saddle</SPAN>
    Velo VL215, Feels pretty o.k.</SPAN>

Seatpost </SPAN>
    Kalloy 27.2 x 350mm, 27.2mm. 350mm. Black</SPAN>

Extras</SPAN>
    Champion spokes, black, 12mm brass nipples-yup, black </SPAN>

Wheels</SPAN>
    Front Hub </SPAN>
    Surly Ultra New, 32h. 135mm. Unthreaded. Bolt on, Black</SPAN>

Rear Hub </SPAN>
    Shimano Deore, M529. QR. 32h. Black</SPAN>

Rims</SPAN>
    Surly Rolling Darryl, 32h. 82mm width. Black. Holey.</SPAN>

Tires </SPAN>
    Surly Nate, 26x3.8". 120tpi realbig.</SPAN>

Some of my comparisons will be vs my Scott Scale 960 29er. </SPAN>

Ok….this is my first Fatbike. I bought this bike for one main purpose, to commute to and from work (26miles rd trip) during the winter months when snow on the ground/road/sidewalks won’t allow my 29er to make it. I’m also training for the Trans Iowa so I figure a “heavier” ride can only help while training. </SPAN>

I have the small frame, it weights in right at 35.8 pds, and this is with Shimano Pd-M24 peddles. I chose these peddles so if I needed to I could easily ride with snow boots on. The only other mod I have made is a pair Ergon grips. I have ordered and plan to equip it with a Surly Front Nice Rack. My secondary use with this bike will be for long distance overnight camping trips, again, training for Trans Iowa.</SPAN>

On the road: I really like the feel; it’s surprisingly a comfortable bike to ride, I’ve gone as far as 20miles straight with no discomfort at all, the stock saddle seems to be pretty good. It is a “slower” ride, I keep the tire pressure around 10pds so if I want to I can jump off the road and hit the multiple creeks and Mississippi river here as well. I’ve dropped the pressure to as low as 5pds just to test how well it “floats” across soft boggy river banks and rocky areas. </SPAN>

Noise on the road? Yea, you sound like a jacked up 4x4 on Mickey Thompson tires. On my route home I take a paved walking/biking trail and when on my 29er I usually get past them without them even noticing till they see me, on my Ops there is no sneaking up on anything, you can hear it coming, it rumbles, more so the faster your going.
    </SPAN>
    Gearing: The gearing on this thing is perfect, it’s gets low enough to push through almost anything and can climb just as well as my 29er, granted a little slower. On the high end it moves pretty quickly. You really can get this thing going on a decent and the gearing stays up with the speed, I really like it.</SPAN>

Braze on mounts: Like it says above, it’s got them all over it. I like the flexibility of being able to mount just about any type of load carry rack available. This very reason alone was enough to make me not even consider a carbon fork.
    </SPAN>
    Look/style: It speaks for itself; I think it looks pretty badass. I wasn’t sure I’d like the color as much as I do but it’s growing on me for sure. It’s defiantly a head turner bike, I’m constantly getting looks and commits, I even had a “WTF is that” yesterday when I passed a few joggers.</SPAN>

Single Track: Yesterday I took it for a ride on about 8miles of single track and was very pleased. Again it’s slower going up steep climbs but the handling was much better than I expected. Wither I was seated in the saddle or standing up and cranking hard on the peddles, it climbs over anything and in some places (loose rock) it grips even better then my 29er. Another surprise was how easily it takes corners at higher speeds, you really can tell the difference in the tire width, it grabs and goes where you want it to. The only issue I had initially was fast downhill switchback turns (180degree). The first few times I had problems with locking up the rear tire when slowing into these turns, for a bike this heavy the rear end seems VERY light. It took a few miles for me to move around on the bike to find the right balance so I could feather the brakes and not lock up the rear going into tight turns.
    </SPAN>
    Workoutability (my new word). It does the job. After yesterdays 20mile continuous ride I was pretty smoked. More so than I ever am on my 29er at that same distance. I’m the guy you see on the bike path usually passing up road bikes while on my 29er. I don’t know how to not “try” to go fast; on the flat bike path I was averaging easily 18mph.
    </SPAN>
    Overall I’m very pleased with this bike, the look, the feel and the ability to use and take it anywhere is very appealing, I’d highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a workhouse of a bike to use for camping, commuting, hitting single track or just looking to have fun, this bike does all the above for me. </SPAN>

</SPAN>
    Last edited by Armyballer; 09-06-2013 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great review and write up! Sounds like you picked the right bike, I hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice review, and great bike! But, don't you mean 2014? It is still 2013, but I think you are talking about a 2014 model year bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Nice review, and great bike! But, don't you mean 2014? It is still 2013, but I think you are talking about a 2014 model year bike.
    Your right, I brainfarted.

mtbr member
    Nice! I have a 2012 Necro myself. Love that damn thing to pieces! There is stuff I can ride through that I can't even walk through with it! I ride mine year round with the same tires(BFLs) and gearing. I rode mine 150 miles on gravel in a race 2 weekends ago. My lack of needing to recover or take Tylenol the day after told me I rode the right bike! Slow is fine with me
    Best part is that I do duathlons(run & bike) and you'd think I had a jet engine on my road bike since I am used to cranking on a 45lb monster truck bike! So it builds ya too!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: My Review of the 2014 Surly Pug “Ops” the Green one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Nice! I have a 2012 Necro myself. Love that damn thing to pieces! There is stuff I can ride through that I can't even walk through with it! I ride mine year round with the same tires(BFLs) and gearing. I rode mine 150 miles on gravel in a race 2 weekends ago. My lack of needing to recover or take Tylenol the day after told me I rode the right bike! Slow is fine with me
    Best part is that I do duathlons(run & bike) and you'd think I had a jet engine on my road bike since I am used to cranking on a 45lb monster truck bike! So it builds ya too!
    Awesome....I think I'm goona ride her in a 65mile night gravel event next week as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott CX Comp (gravel grinder)
    2014 Surly "OPS"
    2013 Scott Scale 960

I'm a beer drinker with a mountain bike problem...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Enjoyed the write-up!

Welcome to the forum.