mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My new Fat Boy - maiden trail ride

So I stop by a local bike shop here in Phoenix on Thursday night and saw they had a fat boy on the rack wasn't really interested but more curious about how it would ride. I rode the bike in the parking lot and had a grin from ear to ear. The bike made me feel like a kid again.

I couldn't get myself to give Specialized 2K of my money so I left with out the bike in hand. That night I couldn't stop thinking about how much fun I had on the test right.

I showed up the next morning 20 minutes before the bike shop opened and bought it.

Took it on a maiden voyage today with a buddy on the trail called Havelina. I had such a blast the only negative was all the attention that I got. Folks get pointing and ogling and stopping me to see what the hell I was riding.

It's not a typical bike for the desert trails but what a f-ing fun ride I had.

I made some quick changes to the bike before I took it out. When I got it home I immediately switched out the stock Tektro brakes and put some quad caliper Avid Codes but I left the stock rotors on. Huge difference in braking performance. I also swapped out the stock handlebars for an Easton Carbon Haven handlebar. The cockpit also felt a little short so I installed a Thompson setback seatpost and my favorite Forte. saddle.

Suffice to say that it was a *****in ride and I was giggling the whole time. The only negative was trying to figure out tire pressures. I don't have a good pressure gauge to measure down in the single digits so I did it by feel. It was all good until I decided to experiment with even lower tire pressures at the top of the hill just before the downhill. The rear tire felt pretty low and felt like it was folding over on the turns . However on the climbs the bike was unbelievable. I cleaned up hills and chose the most difficult lines and he never lost traction. The bike has rekindled my love for riding. I am really excited and can't wait to ride it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looks great.

mtbr member
    Grats. Nice machine. I'd ride that.

Human Test Subject
    Fun fact- your bike never sued anyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sweet.............I really want a Fat bike. Like the green

mtbr member
    Nice bike. What shop had that?
    " F#ck it, lets go ride bikes!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Global in Awhuatukee had it (Former SMC). They actually advertised it on Craigslist. That's how I knew they had it

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice-looking bike!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are those codes?

Anyways, unless the surface is real soft, you can't really run super-low pressure...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Thumper
    Good for you caving in like that all within 24hrs.

2k... sounds like you already got your monies worth, smilin and exercisen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

First thing tomorrow I'm getting me an ATV pressure pencil gauge. Something simple that doesn't need batteries.

I talked the guys down to $1850 so I feel like a gotta decent deal for a retail purchase.

It weighs 31.6lbs as it sits now. Not bad but could easily be 29lbs with some lighter wheels and cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice report Good luck with the bike

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Awesome, the green looks tops (better than the black), now I want one even more
    always mad and usually drunk......

Thumper
    Hey palmermtb, there are plenty of pumps out there that have guages which is easier than having another tool along.

I went with a Beto pump which comes with a guage. It can be switched from hi volume to hi pressure so you can use on shocks too. You never know you just might get one. I did, and highly recommend.

I will not recommend this pump yet since I have not tested it but just mentioning what's out there.

BETO Bicycle Double Cylinder Pressure Pump MP-036 - Tmart.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for posting--especially since the official Fatboy thread has derailed big time.

There's a post elsewhere that the tubes are over a pound....you could lose at least one pound if not a pound and a half switching to lighter tubes (or tubeless).

I am seriously considering this bike in black with a BEER eccentric and a new crank to race SS on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunttofu View Post
    I am seriously considering this bike in black with a BEER eccentric and a new crank to race SS on.
    Has BEER come out with one that works with 100mm bottom brackets or is it as easy as finding longer bolts for the current ones?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Hey palmermtb, there are plenty of pumps out there that have guages which is easier than having another tool along.

I went with a Beto pump which comes with a guage. It can be switched from hi volume to hi pressure so you can use on shocks too. You never know you just might get one. I did, and highly recommend.

I will not recommend this pump yet since I have not tested it but just mentioning what's out there.

BETO Bicycle Double Cylinder Pressure Pump MP-036 - Tmart.com
    I seriously doubt that this pump's gauge will read anywhere near accurately at fat tire pressures since it goes up 300 psi.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Thumper
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I seriously doubt that this pump's gauge will read anywhere near accurately at fat tire pressures since it goes up 300 psi.
    Umm. yup yer correct. I just checked and you can't see low psi whatsoever.

Guess I'm goin by feel and I have a quick tire pump/shock pump.

mtbr member
    I just took possession of one of these today - will try it out when I get home tonight - 0-15psi dial gauge.

Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome, and congrats on your new bike.

I'd been eyeballing a 2013 Salsa Mukluk 3 in my local shop a couple months ago, went in last Wednesday at lunch, it was still there. I suffered for about two hours, quit work early, then rode it home. Talked mine down to $1400.

Same as you, all smiles and giggles. Bit different conditions - I've been on about 4" of fresh snow.

Mine's also army green, which I think is totally appropriate for a bike that rides like a tank over or through anything.

mtbr member
    Is it a Medium?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Has BEER come out with one that works with 100mm bottom brackets or is it as easy as finding longer bolts for the current ones?
    Pretty sure they are stock bolts...Tacoma Screw has got to have some long enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride my Salsa Mukluk 2 on Javalina alot..fun trail.. and if you connect up with Pima Wash that is where the fatbike shines because you can ride right down the center of the wash, also in the Wash the slickrock waterfalls are fun to come down. I have even taken the Mukluk up National but the rock drops are not that fun on a fatbike. I use to run my tires at 11-12psi but now run 9-10psi. Dynamite and Pima is also a good place for a fatbike with all the sand and washes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    Is it a Medium?
    It is a medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Just sold my pugsley and am picking up my fatboy tomorrow hopefully

Maybe I'll see you out there

Misspelled by using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AZtransplant; 12-21-2013 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Very nice. Your post is a good summary of the fat bike feeling. Makes you feel like a kid again. Makes you buy another bike you dont need. Cant stop smiling.
    Enjoy...looks nice
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9