my fat bikes 120mm bottom bracket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020

my fat bikes 120mm bottom bracket

so its time to replace my bb for the first time. i naturally want to upgrade to a 1x from a 2x8. but my local bike shops are unsure of how bcause they cant find 120mm bottom brackets. i called fox/raceface to ask if they had one not in stock i could be on a waiting list for. he said to just remove the sleeve of a 100mm and go from there. are all threaded brackets a standard circumference ?is the width the only variable? i located a 120mm sleeve, can i just put the cups from a 100mm onto the longer sleeve? is running it sleeveless fine?if i get that to work, will it be easy to find a crank for it then? and compatable derailer etc. i dont care what i have to change to make it work just asking is it possible?

mtbr member
    following.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    First off consensus is that you want a sleeve, esp with a fatbike, because of snow, wet conditions. You can run without it but risk getting more water or "bits" into your bearings.

Not sure if all sleeves from different brands are swappable, and would highly doubt it. The way they mate to the bearing shell or wherever they mate is likely independant on the manufacturer

The crank compatibility is only dependent on the BB you have and rear hub spacing. If the sleeve was from a different BB standard than your BB, the spindle might not fit into the sleeve. (if you have a 30mm spindle, but a 24mm BB sleeve).

Rear derailleur doesn't depend on any of this, as long as you have the same speeds as your crank/chainring states it is.

I am thinking of replacing my 100mm PF30 BB currently and seem to me limited to WM or RF. There's plenty of PF30's out there for regular MTB, and at least half the price. Got me thinking of doing something makeshift with the sleeve.

I saw a blog? about a guy who cut the sleeve in half basically, then used an old tube and some other parts/glues to mate the two sleeve pieces together to make a seal, which then allowed the sleeve to be a few mm longer to fit his bike. I will try and post if I can find it. Doing this you could buy a "cheap" regular MTB BB and chop the sleeve and extend it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobMTBer View Post
    so its time to replace my bb for the first time. i naturally want to upgrade to a 1x from a 2x8. but my local bike shops are unsure of how bcause they cant find 120mm bottom brackets. ...
    Which bike?
    Photos?
    Crazy on this ship of fools...