My Dolomite Just Arrived! ..and I've never assembled a bike before- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

My Dolomite Just Arrived! ..and I've never assembled a bike before

Ok, so my first thought is to take it to the lbs here in South Florida, but I hear all kinds of nightmare stories about angry shop owners that are pissed you bought the bike online and want to teach you the 'look who needs my help now' lesson. I'm assuming it'll run another $150-$200 (the cost of the bike itself) for them to assemble and fit, so am I just better off learning how to do this on my own? Any really detailed video tutorials on how to assemble and calibrate a mongoose dolomite? I'm afraid I'll neglect to lubricate something or calibrate somethings and end up doing more damage than good.

I forgot to order the "YST BSA Cup & Bearings, with seal to spindle shaft" which I'm reading is highly recommended from the start. I'm about to place the order for this: Yst Sealed BSA Cupset W/Bearings > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA

I figure after I get a bit used to the bike as is, I'll upgrade the freewheel for a better ride. ..but in the meantime, what should I do?
    Roll my own? or seek professional help?

any advice is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm OK with what a lbs charges but a dolo is basic enough you can do it all yourself via internet/YouTube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I dont know how much the Dolomite comes preassembled but I'm guessing it's pretty much assembled.

The handlebar, seat tube, and saddle can be assembled with metric allen wrenches. The pedals will need a tool thin enough to fit. I use a pedal wrench but I've used pliers before. The right pedal is reverse threaded so make sure you have the right pedals for each side.

Then the insert the wheels in the dropouts and tighten the quick release or nuts.

You can find all the intstructional videos on youtube.

If you get stuck, come back to the board and ask.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I say just enjoy and ride the bike. Replacing the bearings in the bottom bracket is not an easy task if you've never worked on a bike.

You will need to remove the chainrings, crank arms, and bottom bracket. You're going to need special tools to remove the crank arms and bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I took my bike to my LBS around the corner from my house (Lurch w/bluto). I wanted them to really just "tune" the bike as everything came to gather pretty much. They repacked all bearings including the BB, adjusted brakes and all shifters, installed some minor stuff like carbon seat post, Easton stem and Carbon bars. They did it all for 54 bucks. I will be taking my rolling darrly so they can lace up a new 150 mm hub and they will run me 60 bucks. I am in Pembroke Pines so if you want more info on my LBS let me know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by linklight View Post
    I say just enjoy and ride the bike. Replacing the bearings in the bottom bracket is not an easy task if you've never worked on a bike.

You will need to remove the chainrings, crank arms, and bottom bracket. You're going to need special tools to remove the crank arms and bottom bracket.

You've all given me the confidence to give it a go... that, plus I really cant afford to shell out much more right now, other than the cost of tools. ..maybe a repair stand to make my first attempt a bit easier.

That bearing issue concerns me though, as I've read that the Dolomite arrives a bit dry and needs a few issues addressed in that area. I'll need to do some reading on that, hopefully it's not over my head.

I'll post a detailed thread in the beginners forum maybe, photoing each step so they can stop me before I do something stupid.

you're all the best. thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frisco_byke View Post
    I'll post a detailed thread in the beginners forum maybe, photoing each step so they can stop me before I do something stupid
    Or you can be a little more self-reliant and go look at the links in the first post of the Dolo thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dol...te-902410.html)
    Includes a link at Park Tools on the bottom bracket.

mtbr member

I'll post a detailed thread in the beginners forum maybe, photoing each step
    Don't start yet another dolomite thread, use the existing one here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dol...te-902410.html

That way all the info is consolidated and easier to find.
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-19-2015 at 06:23 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Elitest thrill junkie
    Good luck!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    You've all given me the confidence to give it a go... that, plus I really cant afford to shell out much more right now, other than the cost of tools. ..maybe a repair stand to make my first attempt a bit easier.
    The bike comes with assembly instructions. Basically you put the front tire, handle bars and the seat post on the bike. Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh1nDsYlBDk

mtbr member
    My LBS here in Dayton, Ohio would assemble it for $60 bucks, but I'm sure your not near here, if you were I would do it for a 12 pack of Bud Light.

But, I can tell you how here. First, go buy a good Allen wrench set. I'm sure your LBS carries Park Tools Allen Paks. Lift bike out of box, making sure you don't pull in front brake lever (Left One). Remove all packing material from bike. Slowly install front wheel, making sure front brake disc line up with the brake caliber. Tighten down axle nut on each side. (Now it's okay to pull on the front brake lever) Slide seat post in seat tube hole, can't miss it. I think the seat clamp is a quick release lever. (you may have to screw that in a little so the lever is tight when you close it). Now straddle your bike and line up handlebar and stem (The goose neck looking thing) with front wheel. Making sure you have stem facing forward, not backwards. Now snug up top cap allen bolt. ( Do Not TORK) just snug it. Now tighten the two other allen bolts at base of stem. Your bike is ready to ride, as long as the brake calibers are adjusted right. Your owners manual will tell you how to adjust those. Good Luck

OPPS, Install pedals too. The left pedal has the backward tread, not the right one. Remember, bike pedals always tighten the way you pedal.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    Do it yourself! Then when you break something or something goes out of alignment/tune, you can fix it yourself. Get yourself a set of tools instead of waving your cash goodbye at the bike shop. There's so many online tutorials and good info out there to clear up any mysteries you may encounter.
    The only thing I have the LBS do now are wheel builds. The one I go to (Ricks - Queensbury, NY) charged me $86 for labor and spokes after I supplied the rim and hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would do it yourself also.There is a ton of information plus books that can be bought or borrowed on bike repair.Adjusting spindle bearings has not changed in years and years nor has greasing a BB, tools are cheap as are replacement parts on that model if you got it to tight or loose.The existing thread on this bike will give you two tons of info and help from other owners.Canoe is a real gent and has kept that thread informative.I've thought of getting one just for wrench time fun then give it to a kid or something when I get bored with it.
    -CL

PS: My LBS charges 90$ for a tune up plus parts which is why I wrench my own its just not that hard.

Bedwards Of The West
    This thread makes me thankful that I started tuning, breaking, and rebuilding my own stuff back in my Jr High, GT Performer days Now my 2 bike repair stand usually has one of mine and one of someone else's on it.

If you start learning now, pretty soon you'll do all your own work because you enjoy it, not because you don't want to pay for it. I support my LBS for any purchase I can, but I'll never take my bike in for work...not because I don't want to give them my business or because they're unfair, but because that feels like defeat

Do your own work on this one. Screw some stuff up. Pay your "stupid tax," and then you'll be all the more confident on the next one. Gotta start somewhere.

The Park Tools website is a great resource if you haven't stumbled on it yet.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)