mtbr member
    Aug 2016

My Decision on Bike

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, and have gone back and forth on a new fat bike. I originally was looking at the Trek Farley 5/7. Then I started looking at a Framed Alaskan Alloy with carbon fork, RF turbine, 4.8" tires, and their Pub Hub.

Well, today, I ended up with two Specialized Fatboy base models. I got my wife a 2016 left over for 1350.00. I got myself a 2017 in the black, light blue, and orange red. I don't know much about Specialized besides being a huge company. My question is, did I make the right choice over the other two bikes. Mine has TA front rear, RF Aeffect, 28T RF chain ring, Gemini brakes, which I am not a huge fan of, and the carbon fork. When I looked at the Farley 5 and 7, it seem liked the welds, and some of the fit and finish wasn't as good as the last generations of Farley. Maybe I am wrong.

Anyhow, what do you guys think? My LBS has a return policy, so I am just curious.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think you made the right choice. The new Fatboys sound awesome. Please post some pics of the new '17!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Here you go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Decision on Bike-image2.jpg  

My Decision on Bike-image1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Don't overthink this. It's a solid bike, you're good to go. Get out there and ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can't go wrong with those bikes; you could do a lot worse.
    As time goes by you can research what you want in upgrades or your next bike, but still enjoy what you have now.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    They are great bikes. You did good. My family has 4 Fatboy's. My advice is to set them up tubeless with split tubes and swap to a lighter tire like Schwalbe Jumbo Jim Liteskin 4.8" you will be amazed how much faster it will roll and just mow right over the rough stuff and keep its momentum. Wheel/tire weight are the best things you can change on any bike but are even more important on fat bikes.

turtles make me hot
    The shop I hang with has Fatboys on sale right now. 1400 dollars marked down from 2000. I think they might be Euro models because they're other colors than I've seen. I think they have carbon forks.
    Too bad I don't know anyone looking for a bike at the moment.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    2017 Fatboy's have a bunch of nice updates on the previous models. I've loved riding my 2015 Fatboy for the past few years and have made a bunch of upgrades as parts wore out.

As for tires the stock 120TPI's are great tires. I rode mine until I wore them out and then swapped to Jumbo Jims. I was surprised as the worn GC's were actually slightly lighter than a new JJ.

For tubeless, My buddies and I have been using this method for over a year now: https://youtu.be/KUr5LDjBi_s
    It works great, is cheap, much lighter than split tube, and easily reusable unlike fattystrippers.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will say, this bike handles awesome on the trails. It's light and nimble, and can climb like none other. The geometry is way better in my opinion than the Farley's, which I have ridden numerous times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aelf View Post
    Ya Spesh nailed the GEO. They ride so well. So much more nimble than my 68 HA low BB short CS bike.
    Totally. I rode Surly, Trek, Framed, and Spesh. The Fatboy just feels good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Also, will 5" wide tires fit front and rear on the Fatboy?

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Enjoitheride: I don't believe the new generation of 5.05 inch tires will fit the Fatboy.

My only fatbike, my only point of reference: a 2014 Fatboy, carbon front fork. Absolutely love it, a game changer for myself. Haven't been on any of my other bikes since buying the FB in late 2014; not a once. As time goes by, you can upgrade the components on your FB's, but other than that, the FB is an outstanding fat bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Enjoitheride: I don't believe the new generation of 5.05 inch tires will fit the Fatboy.

My only fatbike, my only point of reference: a 2014 Fatboy, carbon front fork. Absolutely love it, a game changer for myself. Haven't been on any of my other bikes since buying the FB in late 2014; not a once. As time goes by, you can upgrade the components on your FB's, but other than that, the FB is an outstanding fat bike.
    Hey Mike,

Yeah, I couldn't turn up any solid info on the tires. I was curious if the 4.8"-5" tires would work front and rear. Trek is saying that the new Farley can do 5" wide, and Framed says 5" on their new Alaskan bikes. Specialized does not have any clear answers.

I like the idea/option to run bigger, especially up here in the N.E. However, I am not sure if it makes a huge difference from 4.6 GC to 4.8/5"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoitheride View Post
    Hey Mike,

Yeah, I couldn't turn up any solid info on the tires. I was curious if the 4.8"-5" tires would work front and rear. Trek is saying that the new Farley can do 5" wide, and Framed says 5" on their new Alaskan bikes. Specialized does not have any clear answers.

I like the idea/option to run bigger, especially up here in the N.E. However, I am not sure if it makes a huge difference from 4.6 GC to 4.8/5"
    I'm running Surly Bud and Lou's (4.8") with 90mm rims on my 2015 Fatboy with no issues. I think the Vee Snowshoe 2XL 5.05" tires could be too big though, at least on the larger rims. Maybe somebody else will chime in if they've tried it.

The traction with the Bud/Lou combo is terrific, but I couldn't say whether it's from the slightly larger size versus, say, a Ground Control 4.6, or if it has to do with the taller lugs.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Hey Mike,

Enjoi: Just from my own perspective....there are lots of other folks with real time running in snow with the 4.6 Ground Controls that could offer a more learned opinion. We had a 26 inch storm last winter and by the time I got out, it had a few days of freeze/thaw cycles that compacted the remaining stuff into a hard/crusty on top layer of 6 inches of snow. And airing down the GC's to 6 psi and it was still too much after about 2 miles of slogging through that stuff. I'm convinced that the Surly 4.8's or even the 5.05's would not have been any better. There is only so much my internal motor can put out!

In the NJ Pine Barrens, the 4.6's did a nice job in deep sugar sand, after again, airing down to about 6 psi. I can't speak for the other tires. But I can with the GC's. I do a lot of road/asphalt miles (I post up on the Fat Biking and Health thread started by OldBear. Aired up to 17psi, it is a nice ride. The tires allow me to do anywhere from 11 to 13-15 mph (if I'm feeling frisky enough). Minimal tread wear has been noted. I really cannot see going to the Surly tires; instead I'll just go back to the GC's when these eventually wear out.

I again swim upstream compared to others on this forum in that I run tubes (I prefer Kenda's) along with Mr Tuffy tire liners that have done a nice job with the smaller thorns that were giving me flats on the canal towpaths I travel on.

Take Care,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    '16 Fatboy Pro Trail - ran the GCs on the stock 90mm rims in last winter's blizzard here in PA plus snowmobile groomed trails in a couple smaller snows.

Truth in advertising - GCs are good on dirt but definitely NOT a great snow tire.

Running Clownshoes now and planning to go with Bud n Lou this winter but I'm guessing a 100mm/4.8" combo is as much as it'll take accounting for snow buildup even though Spesh states it'll run to 5.05"

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    '16 Fatboy Pro Trail - ran the GCs on the stock 90mm rims in last winter's blizzard here in PA plus snowmobile groomed trails in a couple smaller snows.

Truth in advertising - GCs are good on dirt but definitely NOT a great snow tire.

Running Clownshoes now and planning to go with Bud n Lou this winter but I'm guessing a 100mm/4.8" combo is as much as it'll take accounting for snow buildup even though Spesh states it'll run to 5.05"
    Is Spesh stating you can run 5" in the stock rims? Or, is that just for the FB Pro Trail? Even when I spoke to Spesh tech service, they couldn't verify if a 5" had been tested on the FB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I think that was for the Pro Trail specifically if I remembered their website blurb on it correctly. Bluto definitely looks like enough room. Out back looks like it'd be doable but close with 4.8" like Bud/Lou. I just can't picture any 5" tire developed that would work, especially stretched out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    I think that was for the Pro Trail specifically if I remembered their website blurb on it correctly. Bluto definitely looks like enough room. Out back looks like it'd be doable but close with 4.8" like Bud/Lou. I just can't picture any 5" tire developed that would work, especially stretched out.
    Okay. I would be happy if I could get a 4.8" back there. I'm wondering why they didn't add room like Trek did with the new Farley stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Okay. I would be happy if I could get a 4.8" back there. I'm wondering why they didn't add room like Trek did with the new Farley stuff.
    4.8" work fine on the Fatboy. I've run Bud/Lou the past two winters and Jumbo Jim 4.8's this summer with no issue.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Why aren't the GC's good for snow? I ran knard 3.8's for 2 winters in all types of snow and those were great, i can't imagine the 4.6 GC's with way more aggressive tread not being way better.
    GC's are great in snow in a straight line. Once you start cornering though, there are better options available. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/win...a-1000161.html
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    4.8" work fine on the Fatboy. I've run Bud/Lou the past two winters and Jumbo Jim 4.8's this summer with no issue.
    Thank you for your response. You ran them stock rims, and no rubbing front or rear?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I use a bud/lou on my fatboy as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you for your response. You ran them stock rims, and no rubbing front or rear?

Thanks again!
    Yes, I run them tubeless as well, which yields a larger tire.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Yes, I run them tubeless as well, which yields a larger tire.
    Awesome! With the desire to run 5" tires and bigger, do you think the larger tires are truly better or needed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Awesome! With the desire to run 5" tires and bigger, do you think the larger tires are truly better or needed?
    I've found the Bud and Lou work pretty well in ungroomed snow and for the riding I do are a great compromise between Rolloing resistance and traction. My neighbor just bought a set after our testing last winter and sold off his Snowshoe XL's.

The only bigger right now is the 5.05" Snowshoe 2XL, which unmodified only fits a few bikes and won't fit a Bluto. I've ridden one briefly and it grips even more than the Lou, but at the cost of rolling resistance.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is no right answer to this question. It depends on you. If you need lots of traction or just love the look of big aggressive tires then they are better. If you ride where ultimate traction is not needed and react badly to higher rolling resistance, then not so much.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    From what people say, the Vee 2XL actually comes in bigger that the advertised 5.05" (prolly the only tire that underpromises/overdelivers on size) even before stretch.

Glad to hear Bud n Lou work great. Sorry for threadjacking but anyone here running those on Clownshoes atm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What is everyone running for frame size? I am about 5'11, 32" inseam, and 150-55 pounds. I got a large. I am wondering if I should have done medium. When I stand over top tube, it grazes/slightly lifts the goods. My seat is about level with bars. Actually a hair lower. When I place myself on the seat, and step down, I am more on my tip toes/ Front balls of my feet. My wife got a medium I cannot tell if it's right for me or not. Obviously the top tube is shorter, so I feel like I am more far forward. My reach seems to be the same on both. I can plant feet on ground while on seat, but hers is a hair lower.

I am not an expert on this, but I want to make sure I have the right setup.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. You guys have been very kind. Sorry for so many questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Correct seat height means you pretty much have a straight leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke. As a result you should not be able to touch the ground with even the balls of your feet while sitting on the seat. Tippytoes maybe depending on how big your feet are.

Either go to your LBS or google proper seat height to get your seat height correct for your leg length.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You are a spot on large.
    Aelf,

I am guessing you are saying I am a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Correct seat height means you pretty much have a straight leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke. As a result you should not be able to touch the ground with even the balls of your feet while sitting on the seat. Tippytoes maybe depending on how big your feet are.

Either go to your LBS or google proper seat height to get your seat height correct for your leg length.
    Okay. But, is a large the correct frame size? I could adjust a seat on another size, and have a straight leg pedal stroke.

Thank you for your response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone else about my height/weight/inseam riding a large Fatboy? I would like to hear some more opinions on what is working for everyone. I am new to specialized, and for whatever reason seem tripped up by this sizing. I can not get a feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    By the way, i'm about exactly your size cept maybe a 1/2 inch taller and have ALWAYS (for 30 years) ridden size large/19-20" frames. Proper cockpit length trumps standover height every time. Don't size so much based on standover height. And NEVER standover height alone.
    Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I am about 5'10 3/4...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You're welcome. if you were 5'10 i'd say Medium

I'm 5'11.5
    Dang it. I feel like I'm on the cusp. It's really hard for me to figure out what's right. The bike shop was the one that recommended this size, but if you ask some others, a few will say large, and some don't seem to have an opinion.

And, I can be indecisive. I just want to make sure I have the right. Ike for many times to come. This is a tough spot

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just measured. I'm 5'10 1/2. 32in inseam. One of my arms from shoulder to middle finger is 32 1/4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    [QUOTE=aelf;12803941]I think you're fine. Better to ride the large with stock 75mm stem as you say it's comfortable then to feel somewhat cramped or as you say, "forward" on the meduim and have to run a longer than stock stem on it and throw the cockpit outta whack.[/QUOT

Okay. I found a sizing chart on a UK cycle store. For some reason can't find anything US

Anyhow, it said 5'9- 5'11 on a 2016 fatboy would be a large. Not sure if the bikes are different for overseas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Actually it was up to 6'1