Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?

How do you haul your bikes when your destination is too far to ride?

I have a Short Box Ram (6'4") that can't hold two fatties without the tailgate down.
    I also have a Bakflip tri-fold hard tonneau cover, Bedrug carpeted box liner deck and sides (basically a large trunk lol)
    Last time I had to haul them I needed the Bakflip all the way (blocking the rear window and view of the bikes in the mirror)

For the first time I tried to hang the front wheels over the tailgate like I've seen others use for their MTB's.
    Just used an old moving blanket instead of paying $200 for bike pad.

I added a couple ratchet straps in an X pattern to the 4 box hooks in the bedsides front and rear near the floor.
    Very light tension just as a precaution, single wrap around the top tubes nearest the frame gussets at the seat post.

Is there any harm in that? They sure felt solid and barely moved. (even before the straps)
    I may use a microfibre towel to prevent any potential paint rub if they shift in the future.

The rear tires are at ~8psi and should absorb any potential box flex (highly unlikely to happen) Front forks felt totally locked down.
    Other option may be to remove the front wheels, to avoid the overhang, but that's a bit of a PITA, so this seemed the quickest to load and unload.

Also have a couple U locks and thick Cables for security "if" left unattended.

I will probably need them a little closer together next time to avoid blocking the tail lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-20191006_102140.jpg  

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-trek-load-_2.jpg  

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-trek-load-_3.jpg  

2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I do the same, and can get up to five bikes...

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-tailgate_haulin.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've got a Toyota Tacoma and a Kona Wozo with a Mastodon Ext. Fork. The fork hits the bumper, so I hollowed out a tennis ball to wrap around the axle. Travels well. The extra foam pad may just be enough to raise it up under the pickup pad. Good info.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Krampus fits exactly with pressure on the tires. Have a Thule rack and another one I made out out a hitch haul and two rooftop carriers. If I need the hitch in the back I added one in the front.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    There nothing wrong with that method, but if you drive in dusty bumpy roads it will eventually scratch stuff.

I just saved up and bought a 1Up rack. Expensive but will last a long long time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    Krampus fits exactly with pressure on the tires. Have a Thule rack and another one I made out out a hitch haul and two rooftop carriers. If I need the hitch in the back I added one in the front.
    Nice Ram Yeti!

Mine is a 10' 4x4 (lowered 2/4) updated to 14' heads/tails and wheels, Ripp Supercharger (500whp)
    I love the new Rams but they don't even make them in a Single Cab Sport anymore :'(

If I could get both Farleys to fit like that, Id definitely consider adding a Topper (Ramcharger style)

I've had a Swagman rack on my lifted Jeep (spare tire mount) that I really liked,
    but road spray on a long road trip in rain/snow gets pretty ugly. Love your front hitch idea!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-ram-charger.png  

Professional Crastinator
    You probably don't want to change your whole rig, but a rack over the bed (with a roll-up tonneau) + a hitch rack = ~8 bikes at least

-F

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-100_0253.jpg Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-20170509_193655%5B1%5D.jpg
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Not supercharged yet, but headed in that direction. 2" rear drop. If you decide to go topper get the hi-top version or you won't be able to stand the bikes up. Was from Maine so I get the salt/ spray mess. Just moved to Houston this week so won't be an issue for now.

Rippin da fAt
    The Yota provides airconditioned comfort for my bikes...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Stack 'em up!

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-bs6410.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    How do you haul your bikes when your destination is too far to ride?

The dealership tried to sell me a truck with a shortbed, but I resisted. I wanted a truck not a fancy station wagon. Threw a tall metal cap on it.

I can haul 4 bikes and riders with all their gear comfortably without any hassles. We can get 6-7 bikes in there with some work and another 2 on a rear rack if we move it over from the GF's car.

The bikes inside are out of sight and protected from the elements which I like a lot.

There is a custom wooden rack inside that'll grab a bike tire to make loading and unloading easy. They can be made to any width depending what tire size you are hauling most of the time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Great Pic's Everyone, Lots of creative ideas!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Since I don't have a truck anymore I had to go with this option.
    I would prefer to have it inside all the time but since I can't it is not a bad option.

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-img_3170.jpg
    Last edited by Dawgprimo; 4 Days Ago at 05:21 PM.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

The dealership tried to sell me a truck with a shortbed, but I resisted. I wanted a truck not a fancy station wagon. Threw a tall metal cap on it.
    I also have an F150 Super Crew, but unfortunately I have the short box. Fortunately I got a sweet deal from the father in law and then bought a fiberglass topper. I ordinarily only haul one bike, so it lays down on its side, locked away and free from the elements. If I need to haul my bike and the 2 kids bikes, I open the side window, and the handlebars of my bike sticks out the side, but they all fit with the tailgate closed. If I need to haul 2 adult bikes, front wheels come off and they both fit inside the bed, tailgate closed. If I need to haul more than 2 adult bikes, I have a Thule 4 bike tray rack. The rack interferes with the backup camera/warning system and I prefer to keep my bikes locked inside, so I try to avoid the rack.

EDIT - and the advent of dropper posts sure makes loading bikes easier.

mtbr member
    Here's the thing with 4th Gen Ram tailgates - they're insanely thick at the top of the gate where the black "spoiler" is - if you strap bikes in when they are over the tailgate and are effectively strapping them down into the bed, you run the risk of putting little dents in the top of the tailgate panel - even with a blanket over it. I'm sure you can figure out how I know.

Get a pad. Pad is attached to the panel, bike is attached to the pad. They're expensive but worth it if you're going to ride a truck for a while, so long as you don't go from a full size truck to a smaller truck you just take the pad with you. They go on sale from time to time.

Edit: The thickness of the tailgate on Rams actually means the pads look kinda funky, but you can make it work.

mtbr member
    Yes the top spoiler is Fat especially near the middle, why I moved the bikes closer to the ends where it's tapered down a little more.
    Most of the pressure seemed like it was the fat tires against the tailgate and the underside of the lip of the spoiler though, actually made it even more secure.

If anything, I was more worried about the inner tailgate top edge putting a dent in the bikes down tubes,
    The doubled up moving blanket worked....this time. But maybe I just got lucky, thick foam as posted above would be better.

Next weekend I'm going to see what I can do to keep both bikes fully inside the box by taking the front wheels off.
    I might even make a 2x4 frame with some kind of fork mount brackets...quick google search turned up this:

If I could fasten a pair of these DIY brackets to the underside of the Tonneau (exposed only facing up when folded up and retracted)
    That just might work with bikes both facing forward, front wheels off and tucked inside laid flat underneath along the front near cab.

Source: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mountain-Bike-Fork-Truck-Mount/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-fork-mount.jpg  

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-fork-mount-2.jpg  

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-20191009_094002.jpg  

Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-20191009_094011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Yes the top spoiler is Fat especially near the middle, why I moved the bikes closer to the ends where it's tapered down a little more.
    Most of the pressure seemed like it was the fat tires against the tailgate and the underside of the lip of the spoiler though, actually made it even more secure.

If anything, I was more worried about the inner tailgate top edge putting a dent in the bikes down tubes,
    The doubled up moving blanket worked....this time. But maybe I just got lucky, thick foam as posted above would be better.

Next weekend I'm going to see what I can do to keep both bikes fully inside the box by taking the front wheels off.
    I might even make a 2x4 frame with some kind of fork mount brackets...quick google search turned up this:

If I could fasten a pair of these DIY brackets to the underside of the Tonneau (exposed only facing up when folded up and retracted)
    That just might work with bikes both facing forward, front wheels off and tucked inside laid flat underneath along the front near cab.

[/URL]
    I had a bar that went across between the bedsides just under the rear glass with fork mounts on -but the bikes stood way up, and taking the wheels on/off was a pain.. Also hopping up in the back to attach/remove the bikes from the bar was annoying, even with a 4 inch drop on the truck lol.
    I was thinking of doing something similar to your suggestion by reusing the bar but lower in the bed, and possibly by the tailgate rather than the front of the bed.

The pad I have (Raceface version 1) was on sale so I got it thinking if I didn't like it I could sell it for mostly what I had into it, but I use it all the time when riding now.

If I ever get my shell, I'll re-evaluate the bar in the back so the bikes can be contained entirely in the bed and covered.

mtbr member
    I'm kinda Diggin' the shell idea too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-racked.png  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Pro Crastinator
    if you flip the bikes upside down against the back of the cab and alternate directions, you can get like 10 bikes in the back of a truck...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    if you flip the bikes upside down against the back of the cab and alternate directions, you can get like 10 bikes in the back of a truck...
    Our record was 12 bikes and 11 people in an F350, up a fairly rough access road at Sunday River ski area.

Not highly recommended, but pretty friggin' amusing at the time.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sunday River is awesome. The biggest downhill run I get here in Houston is my driveway. Only been here a week, but I miss the trails in Maine. Every day I go exploring some new part of the suburbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Unless that is an 8 ft bed (and it doesn't appear to be), it IS a shortbed. Perhaps they offer a microbed?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Regarding Ram tailgates.....Dakine makes one that is designed for Ram and Ford curved tailgates. It's called the DLX Curve. While the thickness of the tailgate in the middle is still an issue, these pads work much better than others.

Professional Crastinator

Does that fit in your garage?

If so, pix of the garage!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Does that fit in your garage?

If so, pix of the garage!

-F
    Multi-Bike Hauling with Pickup Truck?-8461564817_b40535f191_o.jpg

Garages are for bikes, sports gear and tools. If my vehicle can't handle living in the driveway I have the wrong vehicle.

I told my GF when we moved I wanted a 2 car garage instead of the small 1 car unit we currently have. She asked if that meant she could park her car inside. I laughed so hard I fell off my chair.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [ATTACH=CONFIG] If my vehicle can't handle living in the driveway I have the wrong vehicle.
    Or not enough vehicle variety!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8461564817_b40535f191_o.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	335.4 KB 
ID:	1285563

Garages are for bikes, sports gear and tools. If my vehicle can't handle living in the driveway I have the wrong vehicle.
    Only people with small garages say that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Only people with small garages say that.
    Maybe. I never get to talk to people with big garages out on the trail to find out how they like them though. Not enough money left to spend on gear and travel to use it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com