Mulefut 80 sl tubeless nightmare - tips?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Mulefut 80 sl tubeless nightmare - tips?

So my wife has a norco bigfoot vlt (e-bike... and yes it is a monster!).

Anyway, it has the new mulefut 80 slís, with the larger triangular cutaways. The damn thing just keeps going flat. First in the rear... then it was re-taped twice (gorilla tape). Now the front is going (as is the rear again). My feeling is that the liner (the part you see through the rim holes) seems insufficient in strength for the size of the holes, as they bulge out... and that is where the many many leaks develop around most of the rim.

Yup... i have pumped, rolled, shaked, pumped, rolled, shaked... they just eventually fail.

I can ride on them... but the slow leaks get you overnight. Then they become many large leaks and repeat.

Never have i had such fuss from a tubeless tire, let alone fatbike tire. We have two norco ithequas that have the old mulefults and i would pump them up maybe twice a season. They were bulletproof.

Wtf? Any tips? Using stans.

mtbr member
    Shit can the gorilla tape and use some Sun Ringle, Kapton, Zip or some other tape that is less permeable than gorilla and is full width to run up the side of the rim into the bead seats.

Clean the rim with some alcohol and then stretch the tape tight while taping. I put the wheel in the bike and then use a velcro strap to keep the brake lever depressed. It holds the wheel nice and firm. You can use a stand or flip the bike over on it's bars and saddle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Or ditch the tape altogether and go with Fatty Stippers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    are fat bike tubless tires like little kids and pets? (bad to leave inside a hot van)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just finished about the 20th pair of Mulefuts (old style) with shrink wrap. Still under $20. Jumbo Jims 4.8 and 4.4. set up with floor pump.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

Nutrailer
    When I converted my DT2250 wheels that have a similar cut out pattern I spent a while roughing up the surface before applying the tape. I used 75mm wide adhesive tape from a building supply store. (I've used this for all my tubeless conversions).
    I think the secret is that the tape is wide enough so it's trapped between the rim and tyre bead.
    I only run one loop of tape with approximately 3 inches of overlap.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Shit can the gorilla tape and use some Sun Ringle, Kapton, Zip or some other tape that is less permeable than gorilla and is full width to run up the side of the rim into the bead seats.

Clean the rim with some alcohol and then stretch the tape tight while taping. I put the wheel in the bike and then use a velcro strap to keep the brake lever depressed. It holds the wheel nice and firm. You can use a stand or flip the bike over on it's bars and saddle.

This, and then /thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post

And be totally anal about cleaning the rim, take your time and get that sucker clean as the day it was made, then wipe it down with any good solvent, let it dissipate, then put the Sun Ringle tape on. I like it, (Sun Ringle tape, because it WORKS) because after both my LBS's did tires for me that leaked (one eventually getting better, only needing air once every 2 weeks, the other other every other day) the next time I decided to do it myself. Guess what, my first attempt, and now over a month later, no further air needed. Same rims you have.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This, and then /thread.
    Only thing I'd add is those rims have multiple drain hole sites, (rather than just at valve hole and rim seam like normal) and those hols have been often drilled maddeningly close to the rim edge, making getting them fully taped over, a royal PITA.

I've had luck with small bits of thinner actual tubeless tape (forget Gorilla tape, it sucks) first on those sites, then what BlueCheesehead said...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    use the proper SunRingle strips and tape for a bomber setup
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    This^^^
    The one thing I add to this setup is to put a few wraps of light but strong packing tape over the rim strip, far enough up on the side channels that it has something to grip too, but not far enough up into the beadlock channel to interfere with the tubeless tape in the beadlock area. I feel that this adds some non-stretchy support to the layer of mulefut tape. I don't get the cutout bulges this way that deforms and pulls on the tubeless tape, and could pull the tape away from the bead seal area. The added wraps weigh next to nothing, and if put down tight and clean, do not interfere with tubeless tape layup.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    +1 and make sure you cover the small holes MCS mentioned.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Uh oh, someone mentioned "ebike" on the fat bike forum! Release the hounds!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Uh oh, someone mentioned "ebike" on the fat bike forum! Release the hounds!
    Soooo much fun!!!

All fat, all the time.
    Yep there are much better options than gorilla tape now. Even split tube is so much more reliable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So i used sun ringle 78mm rim tape, and some wide rim strips. The tires sealed even dry.

Lesson: Use proper gear for the job.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yep there are much better options than gorilla tape now. Even split tube is so much more reliable.
    That is how I have done both of my Fat bikes, split tube, works like a charm. I know someone that tried to use the tape method and what a freaking mess and it never worked.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    this. I use these on my mulefut 80's with dillingers and hodags and have zero problems running tubeless.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    So i used sun ringle 78mm rim tape, and some wide rim strips. The tires sealed even dry.

Lesson: Use proper gear for the job.
    Agreed ^
    I think the trick is to make sure it's wide enough to not pull away when inflated, I've had good luck with the tape from Whisky, expensive but worth it.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I messed with gorilla tape and it sucked. The OEM tape from Sun Ringle works but you gotta pull it super tight and make sure it's laying perfectly flat. I had to redo one with the Sun Ringle tape but now they're both holding great, just like if they had tubes

mtbr member

Second that one.

Second that one.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Steering Box Scraper #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    are fat bike tubless tires like little kids and pets? (bad to leave inside a hot van)
    And in the sun for too long!
    Anthony

Steering Box Scraper #1
    EXCELLENT!!! I wish I had read this before I wasted money on Gorilla tape. Well I got mine to seal, but these would have saved me the headache with tape! Thank you, I will be using one set to seal my wife's tires.
    Anthony