Mukluk vs Wednesday fit comparison (for those who have ridden both)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Mukluk vs Wednesday fit comparison (for those who have ridden both)

My local Salsa & Surly dealers (zip = 11693) stock almost nothing when it comes to fat bikes (I called around and there are no Mukluks or Wednesdays in a small/medium). I'm thinking one of these will be my next bike, but I'm wondering how they fit. I need a "big" Small or a "small" Medium; I've never owned a bike that fit correctly- all the mediums were too big and the smalls were too small.
    For reference, I'm 5'7" with about 28.5" inseam which puts me on the border for most brands S/M divider.
    My bikes in the last few years (modern geometry) have been:
    Niner One 9 (medium) - too big
    Trek Stache (medium) - too big
    Carbon Beargrease (medium) - too big
    Trek Farley 5 (small) - too small
    Jamis Dragonslayer 26+ (small) - too small

I'm looking at the Mukluk and Wednesday because the specs for a Small look like they might work for me. I want sliding dropouts to run single speed (also, I'll use a Bluto or similar fork). I don't need a 197 rear because I want to be able to use tires from 3 - 4.5" wide (so, a 177 rear is fine in some brands). Also, I like a short-ish chainstay.
    I'm a 50-year-old mellow trail rider; I got back into riding bikes to rehab a broken leg from an off-road motorcycle crash. I don't mind buying used (so an older Mukluk with a 177 rear would work). But I'm hoping to get something that actually fits for once.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i am 5'8" with a 28.5 inseam. I ride a medium Wednesday with a 175 dropper and 40mm stem... I have thrown a leg over the small, and it is too small for me.

I live an hour north of you. my surly dealer is another hour north, and i think he has a Medium Wednesday in stock.

when you say you want to run a 4.5, the Wednesday will not fit a 27.5x4.5. I have 29x3, 27.5x4 and 26x4.6 on a 90mm rim on my wednesday.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i am 5'8" with a 28.5 inseam. I ride a medium Wednesday with a 175 dropper and 40mm stem... I have thrown a leg over the small, and it is too small for me.

I live an hour north of you. my surly dealer is another hour north, and i think he has a Medium Wednesday in stock.

when you say you want to run a 4.5, the Wednesday will not fit a 27.5x4.5. I have 29x3, 27.5x4 and 26x4.6 on a 90mm rim on my wednesday.
    Thanks. With the fatter tires (over 4"), I'm good with 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I am not too far off your size, and I am happy with my Rocky Mountain Blizzard -30. It is a 2016 model, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    I am not too far off your size, and I am happy with my Rocky Mountain Blizzard -30. It is a 2016 model, FWIW.
    Rocky Mt doesnít make any bikes with sliding dropouts, do they?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know this is a long shot, but Iíll add a Kona Wozo to the mix, if anyone has owned one. Itís more than I want to spend, but the Manitou is part of the cost (maybe if I can find a leftover). The specs on the Small looks like itís pretty big, kind of what Iím looking for.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
    I know this is a long shot, but Iíll add a Kona Wozo to the mix, if anyone has owned one. Itís more than I want to spend, but the Manitou is part of the cost (maybe if I can find a leftover). The specs on the Small looks like itís pretty big, kind of what Iím looking for.
    177 wozo is a cracking hazard. great bike, till it breaks....I would not buy ones used. everyone i know with one has had the frame replaced once, if not twice. not to mention, kona is leaving the customer footing the bill for a new wheel/crank when hey swap the 177 frame with the 197 frame.

My buddy has a medium, and the reach is way longer then my wednesday, so i figured i would get the small. but, again, she is a brittle frame.

I would go farley over a new wozo, but don't you have a farley already?
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    177 wozo is a cracking hazard. great bike, till it breaks....I would not buy ones used. everyone i know with one has had the frame replaced once, if not twice. not to mention, kona is leaving the customer footing the bill for a new wheel/crank when hey swap the 177 frame with the 197 frame.

My buddy has a medium, and the reach is way longer then my wednesday, so i figured i would get the small. but, again, she is a brittle frame.

I would go farley over a new wozo, but don't you have a farley already?
    Thatís good info, thanks!
    Yes, I have a small Farley, but Iím actually considering a Medium since Farleys are sized ďsmallĒ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I second that about the Wozo. A great fn bike but a POS when it comes to durability. I've broken 2 in 18 months. Then to be forced to shell out big $ to get it to new 197 frame. I will never purchase a bike from Kona again. There are better options out there.