Mukluk Riders: How many headset risers are you running???- Mtbr.com
    Smash Mode: ON

Mukluk Riders: How many headset risers are you running???

Just picked up a medium muk 2 and it came with 3 spacers at 10mm and 1 at 5mm for a total of 35mm rise. The geometry on this bike is a little different than I am used to riding but it seems to work very well. That being said, I can't stop wondering if I'd like it better without so much rise. I will likely try a few different heights on my next ride but in the mean time I am curious if anyone else has played around with this? Are all those spacer there to allow for some adjustment or is this where salsa thinks it works best??.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    I started out with 2x 10mm under the stem on my Mukluk 2 and it was too much. I just went to 1x 10mm last night and after the rain stops here I'll give it a go and see how it is. I wouldn't be surprised to see myself going to 1x 5mm or less, though.

The bikes come to the shops with uncut steerers, so what you see there was decided on by your bike shop. Sounds like they used all the spacers in the package to give you maximum flexibility in adjusting the bike to fit you. Once you find what works for you, if you wanted you could probably ask the shop to cut the steerer so you don't have too much extra knob sticking up.

Remember that fit is all about your comfort. Don't read too much into what other people do and play around and adjust things as you see necessary until it works you.

'Calm Down'
    The steerer is left long so you can fine tune the position that works best for you. My Mukluk2 steerer is running 35mm of spacers as well and I'm running 25mm below the stem and 10mm on top. Seems to work well for me and the trails I ride, we'll see once snow flies if I still like the position or want an even more up right ride.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Just picked up a medium muk 2 and it came with 3 spacers at 10mm and 1 at 5mm for a total of 35mm rise. The geometry on this bike is a little different than I am used to riding but it seems to work very well. That being said, I can't stop wondering if I'd like it better without so much rise. I will likely try a few different heights on my next ride but in the mean time I am curious if anyone else has played around with this? Are all those spacer there to allow for some adjustment or is this where salsa thinks it works best??.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

I'm a Target Too.
    Zero.

Just like every other bike with an Aheadset-style headset/fork/stem, the spacers are there to allow you to adjust the bike's fit to your riding style and the myriad stem/handlebar combinations available. Move them around to your heart's content.

Many people prefer a much more upright position on their fat bikes. I tried it for a while but couldn't get used to bolt-upright feeling. It felt like pedaling an office chair. I'm now using no spacers, a 0 stem and a small riser bar. Even so, with Mukluk's tall head tube, it is still a very upright position for me.

Harmonius Wrench
    I agree with the comments here, but for another data point, I have one 2mm spacer and that's only so I am not putting my stem right on the head set.

As a point of reference, my drop bar Karate Monkey's bar tops are lower than the handle bars on my Mukluk. The Muk's head tube top is higher than the stem cap on the KM! Mukluks have pretty long, high head tubes as is.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm running 30mm of spacers on my 2010 Mukluk. It's much higher than what I run on my Dos Niner, but I didn't see the need to run a super aggressive seating position on this bike. I'm fairy comfy on it right now.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Stack height (how many spacers) depends on your physical ability (bad elbows, backs, wrists, etc.), frame fit, riding style, and riding conditions. I'd think riding in snow would benefit from a more upright position, FOR SURE. You need to stay centered and only weight the front when it works for the conditions. having your nose over the front wheel XC style is a good way to smash your face on the ground when you instantly wash out, eh? To that end, I would want to maintain the flexibility of being able to flip those spacers all over the place. In other words, I would not be quick to cut the steerer based on one ride type. Wait till you experience all of the conditions/equipment you might likely encounter. Until then, just swap spacers around and don't hit the knob with anything... delicate.

And, you can't uncut a steerer. It never fails that I end up raising my stack height eventually, for one reason or another. I always leave at least an inch.

Losing Ground
    ditto with cendres. But I also have a race 29er and race road bike that have a low stack. I prefer an aggressive stretched out position. That was my main reservation about the Muk, but I figured I won't be racing in the snow anyway, just having some fun.

Yeah it's all just for preference and comfort.

NMBP
    I use all of the spacers and a 2" high rise bar. But then again, I have these darn long dancer's legs!

Smash Mode: ON
    Thanks for the feedback on this. I think I am going to play around with this for a while before I do any cutting.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

which 2" high riser bar??? looking at options - currently

Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I use all of the spacers and a 2" high rise bar. But then again, I have these darn long dancer's legs!
    running the stock Truvativ AKA 25mm (1") riser bar with a 60mm stem for kicks and giggles. Liked the 90 as well but I am still experimenting with stem length and have left the steerer tube uncut with one small spacer above the stem.

What is the model and length of your 2" riser bar?

Thanks,

is buachail foighneach me
    OP, I agree with almost everyone that you're just going to have to try and find what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

Stack height (how many spacers) depends on your physical ability (bad elbows, backs, wrists, etc.), frame fit, riding style, and riding conditions. I'd think riding in snow would benefit from a more upright position, FOR SURE. You need to stay centered and only weight the front when it works for the conditions. having your nose over the front wheel XC style is a good way to smash your face on the ground when you instantly wash out, eh?
    For me, a more upright position is not better for snow. I run my saddle about 1-2" above the bar on my snow bike. Having more weight on the front helps keep the front end tracking straight through sketchy conditions. Unweighting the front end is as simple as moving your shoulders back 1" and flexing your core(even if your core is hidden beneath a layer of insulating blubber, like mine currently is). I've found that higher bar setups have made steering far too light, and the front end wanders more than I would like.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    running the stock Truvativ AKA 25mm (1") riser bar with a 60mm stem for kicks and giggles. Liked the 90 as well but I am still experimenting with stem length and have left the steerer tube uncut with one small spacer above the stem.

What is the model and length of your 2" riser bar?

Thanks,
    Answer Pro Taper 720mm AM Riser Bar. I am probably going to cut it down a little though. That width almost guarantees a bar meets tree body slam at some point where I normally ride.