Mukluk 3 & upgrades or build from scratch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Mukluk 3 & upgrades or build from scratch?

Wondering what upgrades Mukluk 3 owners are doing on their bikes? How are the stock brakes on the bikes and how much of an issue is the chain rub with the stock crank/chainrings?
    Wondering about buying a 3 and doing upgrades, or going the frame and build route and getting what I want to begin with.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Building fat bikes can get pretty expensive in a hurry, I suggest making a spreadsheet to see what your total cost would be. Cheap upgrades to a Muk3 would be drilling out the rims yourself, get some light tubes and drop a cog off of the cassette for a bit more clearance. These mods alone will shave 2 lbs off and not put a big dent in your wallet.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Or get a Muk 2 for a little more coin, and get a lighter frame, drilled Rolling Darryls, and some better components...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I believe all 2's are sold out, need a large.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wow, drilling out the rims, measure twice and cut once? I guess I could try it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just ride the stock rims and go a small percentage slower.

My Muk 3 - bone stock, save for replacement brake levers and modified rear cassette. I am contemplating the BFL upgrade along with drive train mods to accommodate, but not until I ride a bunch more snow the way it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't know of any shops in the midwest that have any Large Muk 2's (not sure where you are located). Our shop has built up an XS and a Small Muk 3's for customers because complete bikes are out of stock in those sizes.... and I can say for certain that as a shop, it cost us enough more than we were buying completes from Salsa at that if those bikes weren't both 1/2 of two separate pairs of bikes being purchased we would not have done it. By the time we bought the frames, sourced the parts and built them up, there was no money to be made.... As a consumer it is always in your best interest to buy a complete bike. Upgrades get out of hand in a Hurry.

Losing Ground
    I wanted to piece one out too, but it was going to be like 3 grand. Not something I could do just for recreation after spending that much on a road bike this summer. Of course that was w/ carbon fork, nice cranks, and drilled rims. The first thing I want to do is drill out the rims and change the tires to Nate's and Husker Du's. The tires just to match my type of riding though.

Brakes work fine, and I haven't noticed any chain rubbing. Those long cheap levers might actually benefit with thick gloves or mittens.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hmmmm....I know of some 16s and some 21s, but no larges in Muk 2s. I know of a bunch of Muk 3s, but apparently, so do you.

Muk 3
    + drilled out RDs (free),
    + Avid Speed Dial 7 brake lever upgrade ($20)
    Good starting point, until you decide if you need tire or other upgrades.

Incidentally, on the chain rub issue, you should be able to work with whatever LBS you get it at to solve the issue...at least that's been the case on the half-dozen or so Muk 3s that I've seen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm in Kansas

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the muk 3 comes with a heavy crank.
    i sold off the crank and bb and replaced it with an ISIS FSA bb and an old Truvativ xc crankset running a 24t ring and a light bashguard, think it saved me about a pound.

ditched the front mech as well, as i only intend to ride this on tightish single trail and some double, late fall through spring, muddy/frozen, lots of snow, muddy.

also went bb7/speed dial 7, thomson seat post and rocket V seat.

drilled the wheels.

almost all of these were parts i had kicking around, my XL went from around 37lbs to around 34lbs.

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    I'm in Kansas
    I guess you checked with Heartland Cycles? I bought a large Muk2 there a few weeks ago and they said they weren't able to get more unless they were able to get one from another dealer in the area. Went to KC last weekend and Elite Cycles had a number of Salsa bikes but no Muks. I was looking around the other day online and thought there was a dealer CO that had a big selection of Muks but I can't remember the name.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Chromehorn. I am working with Heartland Cycles on a Mukluk, should have bought the Large you bought, waited way too long. It's a nice one. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kinta View Post
    the muk 3 comes with a heavy crank.
    i sold off the crank and bb and replaced it with an ISIS FSA bb and an old Truvativ xc crankset running a 24t ring and a light bashguard, think it saved me about a pound.

ditched the front mech as well, as i only intend to ride this on tightish single trail and some double, late fall through spring, muddy/frozen, lots of snow, muddy.

also went bb7/speed dial 7, thomson seat post and rocket V seat.

drilled the wheels.

almost all of these were parts i had kicking around, my XL went from around 37lbs to around 34lbs.
    Slogging around in the snow and sand and dirt, cranking up sharp uphills, steering around roots and big rocks and slippery stuff, loaded up with a couple of water bottles, etc. - I'm not sure I'd notice 3 pounds of difference in my Muk 3. I might notice the rim difference...maybe.

blood in / blood out
    We have some Large stock builds of Muk 2's left and we have a few large custom build Muk 2's also. We have plenty of Muk 3's in all sizes the last time I checked. These are all in Minneapolis, MN.

I just drilled out my rims on my Muk 3, changed out the brakes from BB5 to Hydro's and put a Nate on the front. This how I'll ride it for awhile. As for chain rub, you just have to dish your wheel over a little on the non-drive side. One full turn tighter on the non-drive side and one full turn loose on the drive side spokes will take care of any rub issues.

I was going to go the build route, but it was cheaper for me to buy the bike outright and make my changes.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    I used a XO build from my XC Race bike for a build, and it was still much more expensive to build it up with alot of parts already owned. Them Wheels are the bit that really bumps up the price.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Mukluk 3 and changed the brakes (SLX Hydro's), bars (Wide), seat (my preferred choice) and tires (Nate’s).

blood in / blood out
    Blackcross, I can't send PM's back because I don't have enough posts. Send smoke signals!

I should have enough, I'll give it another try.
    Last edited by majack; 12-08-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What shop are you at?

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    What shop are you at?

PM sent.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hand of Midas,

North Central Cyclery – Bikes, Parts, Repair, Bicycle Shop still has 21" Muk 2s in stock, right?