Mukluk 190/ClownShoe/Vee 4.8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mukluk 190/ClownShoe/Vee 4.8

I'm sure this question has been answered before but I'm asking again. Will the VeeRubber 4.8 Snowshoe XL Studded tire on 100mm ClownShoes fit the rear of a Mukluk with 190 spacing?

Thanks in advance !

Pat

Rocking on a Rocky
    When did the Mukluk switch to a 190 mm rear?
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    It didn't.... As far as I am aware....lol
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ooops. you're both right. I have 190 on the brain today. So replace my post with a 170 and let me know if anyone has done this with those particular tires/rims. Looks to be room on the front but iffy on the back. I'm just being lazy and thought I'd ask here first before going to the shop and trying it.

Sorry for the confusion

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've put a BFL on 100s in the 1st generation Mukluk. Had to lose a cog in the back but they fit in the frame. Don't know how the Snowshoe compares to the BFL though.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Steve. It's for Kathy's Muk Ti and now that temps are going near 50 this week she's not too concerned about fat studs right now. All we can get in Homer at the moment are the Vee 4.8 studs, but they don't have the true size numbers molded into the casing like most tires. I won't know what the true size is until I try them on, which isn't a problem, I'm just being lazy.

Should be an interesting Homer Epic this week....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Based on my experience (Mukluk Ti, 80mm rear rim, 1x10 drivetrain) the Muk will handle a Lou out back, which is wider than the Snowshoe 4.8. I run my direct mount ring backwards to push the chain line out a bit more. On a 100mm rim you might have to truncate the cassette (drop a gear like the 12, add a spacer behind the big cog) and adjust your derailleur accordingly.

If you get it to work could you please post up a photo of the chainline in granny and the frame clearances? I'm interested to see how it fits

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I run a Lou in the back of my 2013 Mukluk, 1x10 with Rolling Darryls. Plenty of clearance. Based on the True Tire Size Thread, you should be ok, but barely.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by falkry05 View Post
    I run a Lou in the back of my 2013 Mukluk, 1x10 with Rolling Darryls. Plenty of clearance. Based on the True Tire Size Thread, you should be ok, but barely.
    Sorry to hijack...
    I have a 2014 with RD's... Did you have to do anything creative with BB spacers, etc? Straight up 1x10 with the chainring mounted in the big ring spot on the old 2x10?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nothing creative, still running stock Muk crankset, just put on a Raceface NW 30T in the big ring position (remove small ring and replaced big ring). Running a Sram 11-36 Cassette with OneUp 40T cog. Loads of chain clearance, probably 5mm on each side of tire-chainstay clearance, depending on how well the Lou is mounted, this tire is horribly out-of-round/true.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ya, when I ran my old 30T NW ring I put it on the outside of the tabs, inverted for better chainline clearance in the low gear. I recently switched cranks to a Turbine Cinch and put a 26T direct mount NW ring on. The chainring is mounted backwards for better chain clearance again. No difference on the BB spacer configuration, just pull the Alternator drops out about 1/2" from full bottom position. All good, no rubbing at all.

Bedwards Of The West
    Sweet, thanks guys. Good to hear 1st hand experience there. I'll go a similar route for next winter's tires. The question is...can I handle 1x9 and do it on the cheap...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    One added thing, I found that with the tighter clearances the flex in the bike's back end (with the QR Alternators) was more noticeable. When standing on climbs I'd sometimes hear the side knobs rub something under load, and sometimes the QR would slip in the drops. Just switched to the through axle plates and no longer an issue at all. It's a bit pricey for the upgrade but worth it.