Nutrailer

Mudhugger Fat fender on Mastodon

No link to the company, just posting for info.

As it's not specifically mentioned on the MH website if their Mudhugger Fat fits the Manitou Mastodon I emailed to check, this is their reply;

Hi,Yes it does you can fit via the leg tabs alone or add new fitting holes to utilise the brace bar for extra support.
    Regards Bruce and Jay
    What a perfect waste of time

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i use the RRP Fatguard. Got it from ChainReaction.

mtbr member
    I use T'aint Muddy fenders on the front and they work well. I flip it over so that the logo is on the bottom side.

https://www.taintmuddyfenders.com/

mtbr member
    Works fine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mudhugger Fat fender on Mastodon-img_e1101.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    fyi, any fender that attaches to the mastodon arch and protrudes forward of the arch, WILL get broken off when the fork is bottomed out. i broke both of my RRP Fat Guards on both bikes hucking...

you can only run a shorty fender, towards the back. I cut one of mine in half, and will test it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    fyi, any fender that attaches to the mastodon arch and protrudes forward of the arch, WILL get broken off when the fork is bottomed out. i broke both of my RRP Fat Guards on both bikes hucking...

you can only run a shorty fender, towards the back. I cut one of mine in half, and will test it tomorrow.
    The same would be true with a Bluto except the rearward piece would brake off at bottom out, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

I've run mine for 2 winters and I just run higher air pressures so I don't bottom the fork out. I don't ride the bike as hard in the winter as I do in the summer.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The same would be true with a Bluto except the rearward piece would brake off at bottom out, correct?
    not sure, as i never ran a fender when i had a bluto. I do not think the crown goes past the arch on the bluto like the way it does on the mastodon. the Don' is essentially a guillotine when it bottoms out...

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I've run mine for 2 winters and I just run higher air pressures so I don't bottom the fork out. I don't ride the bike as hard in the winter as I do in the summer.
    i used to think the same, but squirrel when i see something shiny and BAM! broken fender...

as you can see, the crown hits the fender before the fork bottoms out ~20mm suspension travel remaining

i traced the crown where it hit the fender, then cut the line. I test fit it, but it still had some interference. i trimmed it till it fit.

he is what is left of the fender back on the fork-

fyi, i recycled the old fender, and fitted it to the rear of the bike. some colored duct tape to fix the damage and she was good to go...

Nutrailer
    Thanks for all the info, I was about to order the mudguard and bonus points for using that tape
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ^^^I was going to suggest Beaver guard also, just don’t expect the same delivery as Amazon, if I recall it took two weeks for me to receive mine, and I'm just over the border here in Michigan…

Mudhugger Fat fender on Mastodon-img_7166a.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    ^^^I was going to suggest Beaver guard also, just don’t expect the same delivery as Amazon, if I recall it took two weeks for me to receive mine, and I'm just over the border here in Michigan…
    I think mine took about a week, also here in Michigan.
    Braaap!