mtbr member

Mr Whirly and I are having a problem

So, I am replacing a bunch of parts on my Pug for this upcoming winter and I am adding a set of Mr Whirlys. I intend to get a set of MWOD rings to help with my BFL retrofit, but while I am waiting on them to become available, I am using a 36-20 combo. The problem is with the 20 tooth Vuelta chainring. It seems that the ears which the bolts go through are a little big and when I install the crankset, one or more of them actually rub on the outside of the bottom bracket. Before I take a file or Dremel and fix this problem, has anybody else seen this problem and am I doing anything obviously stupid? (besides spending all of my money on bikes?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mr Whirly and I are having a problem-photo-5-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    20t! What are you climbing? Telephone poles?
    I'd just compare it to a regular (22/24) ring, and if the only difference is the slightly bigger ears, go ahead and Dremel 'em.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRice View Post
    So, I am replacing a bunch of parts on my Pug for this upcoming winter and I am adding a set of Mr Whirlys. I intend to get a set of MWOD rings to help with my BFL retrofit, but while I am waiting on them to become available, I am using a 36-20 combo. The problem is with the 20 tooth Vuelta chainring. It seems that the ears which the bolts go through are a little big and when I install the crankset, one or more of them actually rub on the outside of the bottom bracket. Before I take a file or Dremel and fix this problem, has anybody else seen this problem and am I doing anything obviously stupid? (besides spending all of my money on bikes?)
    I encountered the same thing. Filed them down and everything was fine. The stock ring is flat instead of rounded.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    There are any number of steel 20t rings available. They are inexpensive and will last much longer than that 20t alloy ring. They are all flat and will fit much better than that ring. That said, a file should make quick work of things.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just let them cut a groove on my cups. It only happened on the Big Dummy though, not my Pug. I have a 20t as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11 View Post
    There are any number of steel 20t rings available. They are inexpensive and will last much longer than that 20t alloy ring. They are all flat and will fit much better than that ring. That said, a file should make quick work of things.
    Yep, I know that there are plenty of steel rings out there, but I got a great price on the alloy and it only has to last until MWOD rings are available. Out comes the file!