Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 4471
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allmountin' View Post
    nonsense. The night train is clearly the greatest fatbike of all time!
    QFT!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I asked for this same deal because I love that midnight purple. They didn't even mention that it was an option, so I just ordered a white Sturgis. Let us know if your upgrade works out.

-F
    If It's any indication by my CC bill, I'll be receiving the Night Train Deep Purple less the Bluto as they billed me $1199.That's ok cuz I bought a Bluto from Chain Reaction and it's waiting in the box.
    I was just going to sell it if I got the Bluto.

The bad news is, like almost everyone else ,UPS is now showing a Friday delivery so I have to wait one more agonizingly long day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Where does everyone find their superlight q-tubes to buy? Internet? Local shops?

Thanks!

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fripp View Post
    Where does everyone find their superlight q-tubes to buy? Internet? Local shops?

Thanks!
    I ordered from Tree Fort Bikes. I used the non SL and replaced the rim strips with silver duct tape, saved 455 grams per wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    I ordered from Tree Fort Bikes. I used the non SL and replaced the rim strips with silver duct tape, saved 455 grams per wheel.
    Rim tape really weighs that much? That's insane

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tips-Up View Post
    Has anybody swapped a Bluto out for a rigid fork?

I have a Boris X9 Bluto on the way. Spent a little more than intended so I plan to sell the Bluto fork and replace with a rigid, maybe a China carbon off ebay but need to find a tapered rigid carbon fork with 150mm spacing and thru-axle. Kinda crazy how many descriptors and small differences exist for simple equipment.

It'd be great to get a Carver or Lamere fork...but if we had that kinda dough, we wouldn't be on Motobecane's to begin with!
    I installed a surly ice cream truck fork on my sturgis for winter riding. If you search back a few pages you'll see photos/details.

Bikes direct is also going to be selling the alloy stock fork from the sturgis and a carbon version as well sometime this winter.

The ICT fork can be had for about $100. Heavy though - about a half pound less than the bluto.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Where did you get information regarding a carbon fork from bikes direct?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    Does anybody else's tracking info still say "picked up" rather than "in transit?" Now UPS is messing with me dammit. This bike and I are going to have bad Karma before I even ride it.

Yep, scheduled for delivery today so I sat at home waiting. No movement, no scans, nothing. Very strange.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Where did you get information regarding a carbon fork from bikes direct?
    In an email from them:

We expect Sturgis rigid forks this coming winter for resale, as well as a carbon fiber version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer View Post
    In an email from them:

We expect Sturgis rigid forks this coming winter for resale, as well as a carbon fiber version.

That's good to hear. When I contacted them shortly after ordering my NTB back in July, they were not going to be selling forks separately...or at least that's what I was told.

Since I don't ride the snow, I am not sure I need the rigid. I was intially thinking I wanted both but now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Did find out that my rear der. hanger was bent though. Shifting was a little funky and tried dialing it out but no dice. Took a closer look from the back and it was bent. Emailed BD to see what they say.
    Just to follow up...I got an email from BD that they are shipping me a replacement hanger. Woo-hoo!! Nice move, BD. THAT is great customer service.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What do you guys think of the 29" wheel option that is supposedly coming soon? It looks like the frame geometry could take it.

That's good to hear. When I contacted them shortly after ordering my NTB back in July, they were not going to be selling forks separately...or at least that's what I was told.

Since I don't ride the snow, I am not sure I need the rigid. I was intially thinking I wanted both but now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins17 View Post
    What do you guys think of the 29" wheel option that is supposedly coming soon? It looks like the frame geometry could take it.
    I think the 29+ will fit but I would buy a set from a reputable builder that can be converted to tubeless over what BD might be offering. The BD rims haven't been shown to run tubeless with any success as far as I've been able to tell/read.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I give lots of credit to the rigid riders out there. Rode a mukluk rigid on rocks and large roots and quickly pulled the trigger on a bluto night train.

I did 5 miles on a rigid Beargrease Carbon this summer and thought - if this had a suspension fork it would be the most awesome bike ever. Then I rode a Bucksaw. :-)

Glad I bought the Bluto version but the Bucksaw haunted my dreams until I ordered one of those too. :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a friend who converted the same Wienmann rims to tubeless and even used Stan's stems. I'm going to have him help me do mine as soon as he comes back from Sedona.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the 29+ will fit but I would buy a set from a reputable builder that can be converted to tubeless over what BD might be offering. The BD rims haven't been shown to run tubeless with any success as far as I've been able to tell/read.
    Split tube will work every time!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bike never showed and now the delivery info is "unavailable". I am wondering if UPS ever actually picked it up from BikesDirect.

mtbr member
    split tube on these rims is fine. 24" x 2.4 and you are good to go. Check some older threads

mtbr member
    May 2013

The Fat bike wheels? I was able to make one tubeless with gorilla tape. I'll eventually convert other one

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Rim tape really weighs that much? That's insane
    Rim strips are about 150 grand and tubes are 640 grams.

siv
    mtbr member
    Heres a link to a Carbon 9 zero 7 fork. It's 135 spaced so I'm not sure if it'll fit on Sturgis/NT, no end caps make it work maybe?

9:ZERO:7 Whiteout Carbon Fork offered by Fatbikes.com

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewr06 View Post
    If It's any indication by my CC bill, I'll be receiving the Night Train Deep Purple less the Bluto as they billed me $1199.That's ok cuz I bought a Bluto from Chain Reaction and it's waiting in the box.
    I was just going to sell it if I got the Bluto.

The bad news is, like almost everyone else ,UPS is now showing a Friday delivery so I have to wait one more agonizingly long day.
    If you end up with two Blutos PM me please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    Rim strips are about 150 grand and tubes are 640 grams.
    So you just take a strip of tape, sticky side up, and put another strip against it (sticky side down) to make a new rim strip? Do you just wrap it around and join it with another piece of tape?

Surprised this doesn't get extremely dirty over time, but I suppose it would clean up like anything else with the right surface.

How much do you figure the tape itself weighs compared to the stock rim strips?

siv
    mtbr member
    So you just take a strip of tape, sticky side up, and put another strip against it (sticky side down) to make a new rim strip? Do you just wrap it around and join it with another piece of tape?

Surprised this doesn't get extremely dirty over time, but I suppose it would clean up like anything else with the right surface.

How much do you figure the tape itself weighs compared to the stock rim strips?
    That's pretty much the deal, I used clear packaging tape over that on both sides to secure it to the rim then. I only did it because I couldn't find silver rim strips. Yes, I'm sure it will get filthy, guess I'll find out soon. The tape job I did came out to about 60 grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

What bashguard will fit stock Samox crank?

I would like to install a bashguard. Does anyone know of a good option.

I looked at a BBG 104 BCG 36 T. I would need to find longer fasteners to attach it on the outside of the spider. Does anyone know where to get the longer fasteners?

Thanks
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    Motobecane Sturgis Bullet (Arrived 11/6/14)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Raceface has 10mm fasteners on their website I believe - used for the NW 30T rings but probably what you would need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    For anyone who wants to know about the Samox crank and greasing etc - I just took mine off as I am replacing it because it broke but I got to see the ins and outs of it. Took the crank off and the bottom bracket, so I saw what was going on - mine was perfectly greased up. The spindle, the bearings inside the BB etc was very nicely greased up.

I didn't really know what to expect with the spacers etc, but they are just two aluminum rings that sit on the spindle at each end - nothing really to it.

I'd say in most cases don't bother opening it up as it seems to be well taken care of.

mtbr member

BBG is the cheapest, but will bend and deform easily from rock strikes, and will knock your chain off once bent. They are a 'better than nothing' option, and while they will protect your ring from a hit, they are a pain to bend back in the field.

I recommend the Salsa Tooth Fairy, which can also be found in the QBP catalog under the name 'Dimensions'. It is 1/4" aluminum, with serrated 'teeth'. The teeth will wear after repeated rock strikes, but it doesn't bend or break.

It mated up okay with the Samox. I had spare ring fasteners lying around, so I'm not sure what size I used.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Q2 and xmiplay now both offer a carbon, tapered, 15x150mm TA fork. Not sure what axle-to-crown measurement is and how it compares to the three different bluto travels.
    Not seeing just the fork option. Looks like they both have frameset/forks but no fork-only option on website; haven't contacted them about fork only option. Emailed ebay seller carbon-goods, they said they'll have a 150 option in 2 months.

The 907 carbon fork is 135 spacing, not 150, so does not appear to work. I emailed BD and they said a compatible fork must be 150 spacing, so sounds like it can't be converted to 135 (which is consistent to earlier in this thread where someone showed the pics of a 135 and 150 hub). Got my shipping confirmation for Dec. 10 today, so I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For anyone who wants to know about the Samox crank and greasing etc - I just took mine off as I am replacing it because it broke but I got to see the ins and outs of it. Took the crank off and the bottom bracket, so I saw what was going on - mine was perfectly greased up. The spindle, the bearings inside the BB etc was very nicely greased up.

I didn't really know what to expect with the spacers etc, but they are just two aluminum rings that sit on the spindle at each end - nothing really to it.

I'd say in most cases don't bother opening it up as it seems to be well taken care of.
    I took mine apart last night also. The cartridge bearings are sealed so they should be maintenance free for quite some time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    BBG is the cheapest, but will bend and deform easily from rock strikes, and will knock your chain off once bent. They are a 'better than nothing' option, and while they will protect your ring from a hit, they are a pain to bend back in the field.

I recommend the Salsa Tooth Fairy, which can also be found in the QBP catalog under the name 'Dimensions'. It is 1/4" aluminum, with serrated 'teeth'. The teeth will wear after repeated rock strikes, but it doesn't bend or break.

It mated up okay with the Samox. I had spare ring fasteners lying around, so I'm not sure what size I used.
    Thanks, got a Dimension ordered. Now to figure out what length fasteners I need. I will remove one when I get home tonight and measure the length of the stock ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Turtle View Post
    Yep, scheduled for delivery today so I sat at home waiting. No movement, no scans, nothing. Very strange.
    My bike is stuck in Texas as well. supposed to delivered today, but I doubt it will be.
    I think I am the third one with this issue. anybody else?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I scheduled the next two days off work to play with the new bike and I feel like there won't be a bike before the weekend is over. No tracking number movement since it was picked up by UPS. 😞

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    "We just received word from our warehouse that your bike, along with a handful of others was damaged at some point on the way to the UPS terminal or at the terminal. UPS brought them back and yeah, they are destroyed"

Email from today. Waiting on a call to find out how it will be resolved.

mtbr member

Ouch. That's a tough blow right there. Can't really replace it if all the stock was presold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Fatty McPhatpants
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2305.jpg.jpg  

mtbr member
    "We just received word from our warehouse that your bike, along with a handful of others was damaged at some point on the way to the UPS terminal or at the terminal. UPS brought them back and yeah, they are destroyed"

Ouch...that's gonna leave a mark .

Sorry to hear that for those of you whose bikes were in these shipments.

FYI...my shipping tag didn't show any movement either (other than it was picked up) until it was out for delivery. Normally I would be able to track the movement from TX to here in CA. Didn't happen this time for me. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Man that is total crap. Feel so bad for you guys cause its been too long already and now what? Let us know what they do for you I'd be curious how they make good on this.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So my Night Train Bullet was involved in the UPS damage. Bikes Direct offered me a few options for resolution. I opted to get the same size Night Train without the Bluto. Bikes direct is refunding me $300 and sending me a free Bluto when they get new stock in Jan/Feb.

While I'm certainly not thrilled with the wait, I was extremely happy with the resolution they came up with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    So my Night Train Bullet was involved in the UPS damage. Bikes Direct offered me a few options for resolution. I opted to get the same size Night Train without the Bluto. Bikes direct is refunding me $300 and sending me a free Bluto when they get new stock in Jan/Feb.

While I'm certainly not thrilled with the wait, I was extremely happy with the resolution
    they came up with.
    WOOOW that's a sweet deal if you ask me. I'd have taken that anyday. Sorry about your frustration though. sucks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    They are shipping out a Night Train in black, my size. I really wanted the purple, but at least I didn't pay to have my rack powder coated yellow already. They threw in a tool kit for me to compensate. I wouldn't have minded a free Bluto lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, you get a free Bluto upgrade AND get to keep your alloy fork. Yeah the still waiting sucks but that should more than make up for it. :-) Good to hear BD customer service keeps it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My Sturgis Bullet showed no movement since being picked up last Friday, then the estimated delivery date went from Wednesday (today) to Thursday (tomorrow). Finally it shows it hit:

Vernon, TX
    Trinada, CO
    Commerce City, CO

Due for delivery in Utah to me tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I haven't received this email. But my bike hasn't shown any movement out of Texas ups sin Friday afternoon

This would suck big time as I have almost $400 in parts sitting and ready to go on.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Customer service folks sound like they're offering nice concessions. Imagine what their scene looks like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post

While I'm certainly not thrilled with the wait, I was extremely happy with the resolution they came up with.
    WOW!! You hit the BD Lottery...sweet deal.

Awesome customer service. Great job, BD!

mtbr member

Wow That sucks!
    Mine hasn't shown any movement since being picked up with the delivery date changing from tomorrow to Friday. I haven't seen any movement or tracking.
    You'd think it would have hit a hub by now.
    Do you think BD sent Emails to everyones's who got damaged or is mine on the side of a road too??!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm surprised at this inconsistent BD customer service.

One guy gets $300 off, and a free Bluto and gets to keep his aluminum fork. Let's call that a $1000 resolution ($300+$700 Bluto).

Another guy gets a different colour in his size, and a free tool kit (worth $20-$30?).

I'd be really ticked if I got $20-$30 when I know someone else got $1000

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    I'm surprised at this inconsistent BD customer service.

One guy gets $300 off, and a free Bluto and gets to keep his aluminum fork. Let's call that a $1000 resolution ($300+$700 Bluto).

Another guy gets a different colour in his size, and a free tool kit (worth $20-$30?).

I'd be really ticked if I got $20-$30 when I know someone else got $1000
    Way I see it is they're offering a bigger compensation to the guy who has to wait til Jan/Feb for the fork to complete the bike he was expecting now - whereas someone else just ends up with a slight delay and a color change.

My bike is supposed to get here tomorrow... last reported in Roanoke VA! Better believe I'm checking it over thoroughly though! Sounds like BD is eating it on shipping damage for these...
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Actually its about a $300 resolution, he gets a free Bluto, everything else he paid for. I would have like one sure, but in the context of my purchase its a little hard to see that happening. His was different, I assume they couldn't offer him the same bike but a different color (as was my deal). I mean I could have tried pounding them for more concessions but in reality its UPS who screwed up. As long as *this* one makes it here in one piece I am cool with how it worked out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You're right. My math is off. But he does get a free Bluto in the end for his wait. That's a killer deal to get a $720 fork for free for the delay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    First Customs(air quotes) and now this?.....hmmmm

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    First Customs(air quotes) and now this?.....hmmmm
    I'm getting very impatient...

First...2 week delay due to "fat bike part supplier delays"
    Then...Customs delay
    Then...UPS doesn't show movement for 3 days
    Then...Bikes damaged by UPS (I haven't received this email yet...but I also haven't received my bike yet, and I paid on July 28th!!!)

And...I'm in CAnada, and having my bike shipped to Buffalo. Even without a potential UPS delay, I doubt that UPS will be getting this bike to Buffalo on Friday given their 6 ft. of snow in 3 days, and another 2-3 ft. expected overnight. Weather isn't BD's fault...but I'm almost ready to cancel my order and just pay full retail at my LBS so I can get riding.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Soooo close...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm getting very impatient...

First...2 week delay due to "fat bike part supplier delays"
    Then...Customs delay
    Then...UPS doesn't show movement for 3 days
    Then...Bikes damaged by UPS (I haven't received this email yet...but I also haven't received my bike yet, and I paid on July 28th!!!)

And...I'm in CAnada, and having my bike shipped to Buffalo. Even without a potential UPS delay, I doubt that UPS will be getting this bike to Buffalo on Friday given their 6 ft. of snow in 3 days, and another 2-3 ft. expected overnight. Weather isn't BD's fault...but I'm almost ready to cancel my order and just pay full retail at my LBS so I can get riding.
    Ooohhh, the Buffalo factor.... Yeah, that's gonna be a problem for ya. Stupid lake-effect snow...

Too bad you're not closer to Ottawa or I'd lend you my Lurch to keep you sane! ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My Sturgis Bullet is out for delivery....I Hope. 3 months of waiting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My wait will finally end today the only thing I see, is on truck for delivery by end of day.no work for me today

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by HydroManEd View Post
    My wait will finally end today the only thing I see, is on truck for delivery by end of day.no work for me today
    Mine too! Pretty stoked

mtbr member
    looks like my last scan was Missouri on Tuesday.. supposed to be delivered tomorrow(Friday).. we shall see.. hopefully it's not on it's way back to texas..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    looks like my last scan was Missouri on Tuesday.. supposed to be delivered tomorrow(Friday).. we shall see.. hopefully it's not on it's way back to texas..
    Looks like your bike and mine are travelling with the buddy system Hoping for arrival tomorrow. I diverted mine to the local hub for pick up. I prefer doing this with large/expensive items so if it has obviously been Ace Ventura'd I can open the box in front of them and deny delivery if necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Ooohhh, the Buffalo factor.... Yeah, that's gonna be a problem for ya. Stupid lake-effect snow...

Too bad you're not closer to Ottawa or I'd lend you my Lurch to keep you sane! ;-)

ARGH...just venting...my bike reached the Buffalo depot this morning...but the depot is now closed due to weather.... I will have to call the general 1-800 UPS number to get updates on the depot's closure. I am 2+hrs. away from the depot and the operator couldn't offer me any other way to check on the status of the depot other than to call the 1-800 number and go through the whole rigamorole every time. And that's no guarantee that once I'm on the road, they won't close without notifying me.

I just wanted a number to call the depot directly so I can check on their status..no-go...wouldn't release that info. Told me just to call back to the 1-800 number.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

My wait is Finally OVER

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-bullet-first-pic-065.jpgMy wait is finally over here are some pictures before set up,this might help in the waiting process .Once I finish with this post I will start to put my Sturgis Bullet together and add my shimano pedals EPD MX80 on and not worry about shaving a gram or ounce here or there from the bike which = more money. I'm going to have fun with my new bike and worry more about shaving off some ounces and pounds from myself and enjoy this 1300 hundred dollar bike.Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-bullet-first-pic-052.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-bullet-first-pic-053.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-bullet-first-pic-057.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-bullet-first-pic-059.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-bullet-first-pic-047.jpg

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Congrats!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My wait is finally over too. There's a big box full of fatbike outside my house, my neighbor signed for it. Gonna rush home soon to tear this thing open.

The UPS web status portal only showed "In Transit", but never "Out for delivery". It just showed up. But seconds after my neighbor txt'd me, the status was updated to delivered. Seemed to have skipped a few scans in the process.

More will follow.

mtbr member
    ARGH...just venting...my bike reached the Buffalo depot this morning...but the depot is now closed due to weather.... I will have to call the general 1-800 UPS number to get updates on the depot's closure. I am 2+hrs. away from the depot and the operator couldn't offer me any other way to check on the status of the depot other than to call the 1-800 number and go through the whole rigamorole every time. And that's no guarantee that once I'm on the road, they won't close without notifying me.

I just wanted a number to call the depot directly so I can check on their status..no-go...wouldn't release that info. Told me just to call back to the 1-800 number.
    When I missed my delivery, I went through the "Chat" function on the UPS site. I asked about picking up from the Hub and they actually had the Hub call me directly.
    Maybe that is an option for you and then get contact info from the Hub folks when they touch bases with you.

mtbr member
    I will hopefully know the answer to my own question tomorrow but does anybody know if the rear brake post-mount tabs on the frame are for a 160mm rotor? I am putting different brakes on mine and I am using 160mm and hoping that I will not need adapters for the rear. The standard for the front is usually 160mm so I should be good there but the rear could be small enough to accept 140mm discs and I hope it isn't. If anybody knows feel free to share.
    '10 Specialized Big Hit 33lbs
    '12 Santa Cruz Butcher 30lbs
    '13 On One 456 EVO hardtail 27lbs
    '95 Barracuda Hardtail 25lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well, they got back to me and told me pedal issues not covered by warranty. They offered to help me get a comparable crank for a decent price from them. I've already got one coming and told them about it. He then offered me 30 bucks reimbursement.

I guess its better than nothing and waiting longer for another crank from them would be annoying.

Everyone else, watch those pedals - hopefully my issue was a one-of.

I got my new crank and installed it - went on like a dream. Its the Raceface Turbine (not cinch) made for 190mm rear sizing and its very light but built like a tank. Turns out thats the exact one that they are selling with the Framed Bikes too - much nicer and lighter than the Samox was.

I had already thrown a 32t on my Samox crank, but the 36/22 would work well with the Raceface too. It also has a real nice tabbed space for a bash guard, which I got too. Should help save my pants from getting caught in the outer ring.

Highly recommended if you are in the market for a new crank or the threads in yours decided to call it quits

mtbr member
    I will hopefully know the answer to my own question tomorrow but does anybody know if the rear brake post-mount tabs on the frame are for a 160mm rotor? I am putting different brakes on mine and I am using 160mm and hoping that I will not need adapters for the rear. The standard for the front is usually 160mm so I should be good there but the rear could be small enough to accept 140mm discs and I hope it isn't. If anybody knows feel free to share.
    The discs on the NTB are 180s. I can't recall if the rear has an adapter. I remember the front caliper had an adapter already installed.

EDIT: Check out the pics of the red one above from HydroManEd and you can see the adapter for the rear in one of the photos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Is this for a NTB?

The rear and front both use adapters and are 180mm rotors on my NTB. The adapters are included.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    They are indeed 180mm rotors and adapters. I already stole my 180mm rear and put it to 160mm and upped my son's front rotor to 180. :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    For anyone who has gone 1x10 on their NTB, what does it look like once the FD is removed? Any pics would be awesome.

Thanks!

Growing up sucks!
    It looks like one more 19" Night Train came available and I was able to jump on it. It wasn't the groovy purple color, but I can dig the black too. I had a Boris the Brut on order for sometime in January, but instant gratification is much better. Now whether or not I throw on some RaceFace Turbine cranks is the next question. I just had a $200 upgrade to the Night Train, so that kind of ate into my already depleted, pre-Xmas budget...SC

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oh boy... I see there's a purple 17.5 NT available on the site. Last one, too. If my Lurch was purple it'd be a whole lot easier to sneak the NT into the garage.

Stupid yellow Lurch...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    They are indeed 180mm rotors and adapters. I already stole my 180mm rear and put it to 160mm and upped my son's front rotor to 180. :-)
    Thanks, that answers my question. I knew that the bikes already had 180mm front and rear I just needed to know if the rear post-mount without an adapter would be for a 160mm rotor or a 140mm. Some XC bikes are coming with little rotors on the rear so you would need and adapter to run a 160 rotor but it looks like this doesn't need any adapter for 160.

Sweet, I will save some more weight there too. Fewer bolts, fewer parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks, that answers my question. I knew that the bikes already had 180mm front and rear I just needed to know if the rear post-mount without an adapter would be for a 160mm rotor or a 140mm. Some XC bikes are coming with little rotors on the rear so you would need and adapter to run a 160 rotor but it looks like this doesn't need any adapter for 160.

Sweet, I will save some more weight there too. Fewer bolts, fewer parts.
    Yeah I took mine off to simplify things and here in the Midwest where I ride there are no downhill runs worthy of 180mm brakes (front or rear). My son has been wanting them for a while now though - so I took one off my bike to give his new bike the 180 he wants - even though he is only 9 and his 160 rotors stop him better than he needs already. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So BikesDirect shipped me a SRAM X5 crankset instead of a Samox as a replacement... this is good news, assuming it fits... right? It isn't just a rebrand? It looks very similar and has the same number of teeth but I don't have the bike/original within reach right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah I took mine off to simplify things and here in the Midwest where I ride there are no downhill runs worthy of 180mm brakes (front or rear). My son has been wanting them for a while now though - so I took one off my bike to give his new bike the 180 he wants - even though he is only 9 and his 160 rotors stop him better than he needs already. :-)
    Where in the Midwest?

mtbr member

For anyone who has gone 1x10 on their NTB, what does it look like once the FD is removed? Any pics would be awesome.

Thanks!
    Pics in post #747

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-002.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-004.jpg
    I ripped into my NTB box today and set it up. I'd say it took all of 1 hour to get it out of the box and assemble it to the stock configuration, and another hour to make my personal changes. To get it to stock configuration was simple:
    1.) Attach handlebar
    2.) Insert Seat post w/seat
    3.) Add rotor to front wheel
    4.) front brake assembly onto fork
    5.) Front wheel onto front fork, adjust brake caliper position.
    6.) Check tire pressure and fork pressure.

And then I puttered around with other minor customizations: I swapped the seat out. Removed the front handlebar grips and swapped them with a set of locking grips and bar ends. Added the rear light and the front light and took it out for it's quick maiden voyage in the dark. Kept it on the street and went around the block a couple times.

Absolutely no issues here. Everything is pretty well dialed in right out of the box. Didn't have to mess with shifting adjustments, brake adjustments..

The biggest headache was removing the stock handlebar grips. I might have broken a bead of sweat, even with the aid of compressed air.

It's a beast and a half. A fat pig. LOL. I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Finished for now

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrainfinishd-002.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrainfinishd-004.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrainfinishd-006.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrainfinishd-005.jpgsome finished pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer View Post
    Pics in post #747
    Thanks I appreciate it but was hoping for more of a closeup. Can't tell what it looks like from you outdoor pics.

mtbr member
    Fortunately, my Night Train was not part of the UPS damaged load. It finally showed up in the area and I will pick it up tomorrow on the way home from work. Wooohooo.
    Just in time as the snow is falling in Tahoe!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by clark4131 View Post
    It looks like one more 19" Night Train came available and I was able to jump on it. It wasn't the groovy purple color, but I can dig the black too. I had a Boris the Brut on order for sometime in January, but instant gratification is much better. Now whether or not I throw on some RaceFace Turbine cranks is the next question. I just had a $200 upgrade to the Night Train, so that kind of ate into my already depleted, pre-Xmas budget...SC
    Clark, thanks so much for the heads up! I just landed myself an Orange Sturgis. I had the Bullet version on Pre Order but I'm willing to go rigid in order to have the bike next week instead of 9 weeks from now. Hopefully I dont regret the impulse but it was the last one and I have cabin fever. There has been snow on the ground here for weeks now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroManEd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nighttrainfinishd 002.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	940579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nighttrainfinishd 004.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	940580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nighttrainfinishd 006.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	940581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nighttrainfinishd 005.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	940582some finished pics
    Now you have to get dirt, mud and/or snow on that pristine bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    someone asked for 1x10

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks!!!

You adding a 42 cog eventually or good with it how it is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a NTB on pre-order for Jan30 - Feb 15 but some full rigid NT just came available so I did a quick scan of the specs and ordered one. I didn't see any reason why installing a Bluto fork won't be a super easy swap. Am I missing anything?? I know it's going to cost me a couple hundred extra bucks ordering the fork separately but 10 weeks is a long time to wait!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    UPDATE: Called BD on Friday after sending an email on Thurs night. They sent me out a replacement hanger Friday and it arrived today (Mon).

After 4 months of waiting, my bike arrived today with a trashed rear der.

The small parts box was wedged between the box and the rear der - the hanger is bent and the cage is twisted.
    The brake post on the fork was poking out of the box and the rotor, a bottle cage bolt, and the rt side hub protector were all rolling around loose in the box.

BD posted awhile back about how they were improving packaging? Pretty poor, IMO.

The headtube badge was barely attached so I ditched it along with the lawyer sticker on the top tube and the made in taiwan sticker. I'm too bummed to put it the rest of the way together tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_1794.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2577.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2579.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2596.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2598.jpg  

Last edited by GT_guy; 11-24-2014 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Where in the Midwest?
    Northwest Indiana - mostly ride the Outback trail system:

Outback Trail at Imagination Glen << I am a member of the Outback Trail commission

I also ride a lot on weekends at Palos:

Palos - Triangle Trail Conditions | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

:-)

We actually have a lot of trails for being right by Chicago, what we do not have is elevation. I can ride all 10 miles of single track at Outback and get 40ft max elevation change. Palos is only a little better with 15+ mile trail rides and the most elevation I have ever seen on my GPS is 80ft. ;-( They call us flatlanders for a reason.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cole_man2 View Post
    I have a NTB on pre-order for Jan30 - Feb 15 but some full rigid NT just came available so I did a quick scan of the specs and ordered one. I didn't see any reason why installing a Bluto fork won't be a super easy swap. Am I missing anything?? I know it's going to cost me a couple hundred extra bucks ordering the fork separately but 10 weeks is a long time to wait!!!
    Was about to do this very thing in Oct. Just before I pulled the trigger a NTB came available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    After 4 months of waiting, my bike arrived today with a trashed rear der.

The small parts box was wedged between the box and the rear der - the hanger is bent and the cage is twisted.
    The brake post on the fork was poking out of the box and the rotor, a bottle cage bolt, and the rt side hub protector were all rolling around loose in the box.

BD posted awhile back about how they were improving packaging? Pretty poor, IMO.

The headtube badge was barely attached so I ditched it along with the lawyer sticker on the top tube and the made in taiwan sticker. I'm too bummed to put it the rest of the way together tonight.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_1794.jpg

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2577.jpg

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2579.jpg

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2596.jpg

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_2598.jpg
    That's a delivery issue. No doubt BD will right UPS's wrongs

mtbr member

1st Outing

People are fascinated....

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpg
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sturgis Bullet arrived with no damage. 17.5" medium fits almost same as my Stumpy 29er 19".

Added carbon bars, shorter stem, 50/50 pedals, Specialized Henge seat and Specialized Command Post dropper. Bike weighs exactly 36.5 lbs. Tektro Brakes are great and bike shifts perfectly front and rear.

Can anyone tell me how I should route the dropper post cable? It's too short to route under the downtubr and too long to follow the top tube.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	940628Click image for larger version. 

Views:	355 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	940629Click image for larger version. 

Views:	316 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	940631

mtbr member
    Adhesive cable guides will work great, I use them on one of my bikes that doesn't have dropper routing. As long as you prep the surface with alcohol first they will stick for a long time.

Jagwire Alloy Stick on Housing Cable Hose Gguide 4 Pcs | eBay

If you don't want to wait, I used some adhesive mounts from Lowes for a while. I trimmed them down and then used a zip-tie to hold the housing. Where there are options to run a zip tie in both directions, I clipped one path so that the housing had a channel to rest in and then I routed the zip tie over the housing completely and did not go under. I hope this makes sense. It is hard to explain.

Shop Gardner Bender 10-Pack Nylon Mounting Base Cable Ties at Lowes.com

Note: The Moto top tube looks more flat than tubular so you should get a cable guide that doesn't have alot of curvature. The Lowes ones may work out fine. Not gorgeous but shes a performance machine not a beauty queen.
    Last edited by silvbullit; 11-20-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Epiphany

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    Sturgis Bullet arrived with no damage. 17.5" medium fits almost same as my Stumpy 29er 19".

Are you saying these run a bit big?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    Are you saying these run a bit big?
    Yes, larger than I expected. I almost switched to a large 19" but I didnt after reading others reports. I'm 5'11" 33" inseam and if be worried about any less stand over with the Bluto adding to this problem.

mtbr member

They definitely run long. With those stock stems, anyway. On my xl, I went from a 120 to a 40 millimeter stem. So, about 3 inches shorter, with a 2 inch riser bar, probably an inch higher. That is a drastic change in reach, but I think it's going to work out just fine.

As for that dropper post routing, you are definitely going to want to use the top tube. You'll have to cut the cable and housing down a bit. You will want to secure it tightly near where the seat tube and top tube join, so that it cannot slide forward when the seat post drops.

mtbr member

I didn't see this earlier. Can anyone with a rigid fork let me know the axle to crown measurement?

I didn't realized how tall this thing was gonna be, going to lower my bluto to 100mm or 90mm

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Northwest Indiana - mostly ride the Outback trail system:

Outback Trail at Imagination Glen << I am a member of the Outback Trail commission

I also ride a lot on weekends at Palos:

Palos - Triangle Trail Conditions | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

:-)

We actually have a lot of trails for being right by Chicago, what we do not have is elevation. I can ride all 10 miles of single track at Outback and get 40ft max elevation change. Palos is only a little better with 15+ mile trail rides and the most elevation I have ever seen on my GPS is 80ft. ;-( They call us flatlanders for a reason.
    Ah okay - for a second I wondered if you were in OH. Our elevation is definitely better than where you are but you do have to seek it out.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gurleyman View Post
    T

That's a delivery issue. No doubt BD will right UPS's wrongs
    Not sure I agree with that. He said the spare parts box had broken loose and was wedged between the derailleur. That's a packaging assembly or design issue. Unprotected sharp points piercing the box wall fall into the same category.

Meanwhile, my bike has apparently gone rogue with Manchvegas' bike and shacked up in a hotel room someplace
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-capture-copy.jpg

mtbr member

Added carbon bars, shorter stem, 50/50 pedals, Specialized Henge seat and Specialized Command Post dropper. Bike weighs exactly 36.5 lbs. Tektro Brakes are great and bike shifts perfectly front and rear.

Can anyone tell me how I should route the dropper post cable? It's too short to route under the downtubr and too long to follow the top tube.

ID:	940631Click image for larger version. 

ID:	940631
    hartzpad,
    I would trim the line and run it under the TT, cuz when u drop the post, you want the extra line/hose to drop along the seatpost tube just under the TT/ST junction. I don't know if your post is cable or hydraulically actuated, but don't cut it too short. Better to have too much line/hose....so measure twice, cut once. Oh, and if so inclined, add some frame saver tape to the areas where the line/hose will be rubbing to prevent frame chaffing.
    “NICE ASS!”

-Sheriff Buford T. Justice

mtbr member
    You have got to be f#cking kidding me. My scheduled delivery date just disappeared and now it says "delayed." I have never seen this happen in 25 years of getting UPS packages. wtf wtf twf

Count me in with the shacked up bikes. There is no reason mine would go near the winter wonderland of western NY so I am scratching my head and punching a pillow at the same time.

Mine is headed to Maine, so I wonder if all of these "missing" bike had a northeastern trajectory.

mtbr member
    Well like Car_Nut said.. I am in the same boat... I got the SAME exact notification from UPS.. I am in new hampshire this is getting ridiculous

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20141120_215336.jpg
    I'll get better photos later...

Sturgis 17.5 in orange... nice! No issues with any bits or pieces. Forgot to weigh it without pedals, but it's a hair over 36 lbs with my heavy flats. They're about a pound, so figure 35 lbs w/o them - pure stock. Room for weight trimming as others have mentioned.

The bike is larger than I expected when I ordered it. I'm 5'7" with a 30 in inseam and as pictured the seatpost is just a little high - and that's as far down as it goes! Will have to cut it down today. I'll also be rummaging through my parts bins looking for a shorter stem - as-is the cockpit is a little too roomy. After that I think it will be good. I'd definitely have thought harder about getting the small though if I'd realized how big the mediums were.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm in Maine as well...got the same delayed message as you. I'd imagine (hope) weather is the main culprit.

Really want it for the snow (none in S Maine yet), so I'm no immediate rush, but I'm tiring of scheduling days off to meet the UPS guy only to be disappointed he wont show for one reason or another.

mtbr member
    Now I see that there are 17.5 Sturgis bikes available now, if BD overnighted one today it would beat the one that is probably pounded to sh!t anyway from so much time rattling around in the back of lost trailers.

It should be noted that UPS customer service is in the category of non-existent. They fudged everything from taking an extra business day getting it out of Texas and somehow losing 50-foot box trailers yet they still basically tell you to pack sand and keep checking updates. They won't bump to saturday delivery even though it is their own fault. This zero accountability thing is just one of those byproducts of a psuedo free market where there is only two competitors for nearly everything. "Don't like us, go ahead, use the other guy. His service is exactly the same."

Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sturgis 17.5 in orange... nice! No issues with any bits or pieces. Forgot to weigh it without pedals, but it's a hair over 36 lbs with my heavy flats. They're about a pound, so figure 35 lbs w/o them - pure stock. Room for weight trimming as others have mentioned.

The bike is larger than I expected when I ordered it. I'm 5'7" with a 30 in inseam and as pictured the seatpost is just a little high - and that's as far down as it goes! Will have to cut it down today. I'll also be rummaging through my parts bins looking for a shorter stem - as-is the cockpit is a little too roomy. After that I think it will be good. I'd definitely have thought harder about getting the small though if I'd realized how big the mediums were.
    How is the stand-over?

mtbr member

How is the stand-over?
    The stand over on my xl is crazy high. 33.75 inches!

Would someone measure the stock aluminum fork axle-crown measurement when they have a moment please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    So BikesDirect shipped me a SRAM X5 crankset instead of a Samox as a replacement... this is good news, assuming it fits... right? It isn't just a rebrand? It looks very similar and has the same number of teeth but I don't have the bike/original within reach right now.
    The x5 crank will not fit if you plan on yang it as a two ring setup. In the small ring you will either have clearance issues with the frame or the chain will run rhe tire when I'm the big cog/small ring combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedthetoast View Post

Name:	20141120_215336.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	940701
    I'll get better photos later...

That's my bike you bastard! I usually use the top-of-tire/trend-line-of-top-tube gauge to figure standover and that 17.5 doesn't look too big to me. By the numbers it is on par with both Specialized and Trek medium frames and I know that Specialized fits me well albeit with a short stem. On that note, the stem is really long by modern standards where the bike geometry is pretty modern (long front, short rear.)

I am probably the only lifeless dork that noticed (too many days off waiting to sign for missing packages) but the Boris Evil Brut bikes are even longer with around a 35mm longer wheelbase, longer stays, and even longer reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bd clearly "saved a few bucks" by specing all these bikes with orphaned and ancient long stems. It's possible a manufacturer gave it to them for free just to get it off their books/inventory.

I'm any case, this was a known factor given the specs they listed. Frame geo was almost identical to a fatboy, but they were specing stems that were 30-50mm longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
    The stand over on my xl is crazy high. 33.75 inches!

Would someone measure the stock aluminum fork axle-crown measurement when they have a moment please?

That is what the BD quoted standover is. They take the measurement over the BB though so it would make sense that you are about a half-inch over especially when combined with the Bluto.

If you lower your Bluto by 10 or 20mm you should be right there with the rigid fork. It is real easy to lower Rock Shox forks. I actually still have two 5mm lowering tokens from a Sektor I used to have if you want them. The Bluto is essentially the same internals as a Sektor TK.

You can also drop this right into your Bluto for much better and more adjustable compression damping. Bikeman RockShox MoCo RLT DNA for MY10-Current Revel Crown LO

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You have got to be f#cking kidding me. My scheduled delivery date just disappeared and now it says "delayed." I have never seen this happen in 25 years of getting UPS packages. wtf wtf twf

Mine is headed to Maine, so I wonder if all of these "missing" bike had a northeastern trajectory.
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Well like Car_Nut said.. I am in the same boat... I got the SAME exact notification from UPS.. I am in new hampshire this is getting ridiculous
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575 View Post
    I'm in Maine as well...got the same delayed message as you. I'd imagine (hope) weather is the main culprit.
    They're all headed to the northeast distribution hub on the same truck. When mine didn't show arrival from MO by noon yesterday I knew it wasn't hitting my driveway until next week. My shipments will typically go through a hub in CT or Chelmsford MA before heading to my local hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bd clearly "saved a few bucks" by specing all these bikes with orphaned and ancient long stems. It's possible a manufacturer gave it to them for free just to get it off their books/inventory.

I'm any case, this was a known factor given the specs they listed. Frame geo was almost identical to a fatboy, but they were specing stems that were 30-50mm longer.
    Could be. I will say that BD has always spec'd out their MTB's with roadie like fit. Very long stems and setback posts go on everything. They're crap parts either way and I consider them to be shipping fasteners more than functional anyway.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post
    Since the trend seems to be to break away from the massive and hard to read/hard to follow generic Moto fat bikes thread, I figured I would start one for the Sturgis & Night Train.

I have a Night Train Bullet on order. Looking forward to it showing up, unfortunately, the reciept I have shows a ship date of 11/05. Other folks had ones earlier in October.

Anyway - Three questions to get this ball rolling:

1 - Are you going to change anything right off the bat?
    2 - Did you buy for winter, sand, trail, or all?
    3 - What date did your ship notice show?
    Well, this thread has come completely unraveled. I can appreciate that everyone's patience is at the limit after waiting for ~3 months for a bike, but can we minimize the UPS shipping progress updates and get back to pictures, reviews, upgrades, build issues, etc.?
    I just ordered mine - due in Feb. - and I'd much rather see everyone else's build and ride pix than anything else.

I probably won't change anything except maybe the stem. I'll give it a solid, multi-season test ride before I go fiddling with it unless something is just glaringly intolerable. A Winter camo paintjob might happen sooner than later, though.

Now, stoke me with some pix!

Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, this thread has come completely unraveled. I can appreciate that everyone's patience is at the limit after waiting for ~3 months for a bike, but can we minimize the UPS shipping progress updates and get back to pictures, reviews, upgrades, build issues, etc.?
    Trust me. I'd much rather be posting pic's of the trail and my bike I've been quite calm awaiting for my NT arrival. Surely you can imagine the frustration though when I had a delivery scheduled for today, cleared my afternoon schedule to pick it from the hub, and visions of riding it all weekend. Given the fact that it ships "signature required" and the historical damage with shipping a bike, I'd guess most others made similar arrangements to receive it. As for those who have already received theirs, I'm guessing they're too busy riding to mess around on the computer like me

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

How to fill the 150/197 space on my NTB;

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrain-bullet-005.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrain-bullet-004.jpg

mtbr member

What tape or ribbon did you use? I also went with orange accents, but haven't spotted an ideal tape yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20141116_132930.jpg

Minor stuff so far. grips, suspension-seatpost / seat, tubes and rimstrips
    Impressed with the Guide brakes. Quiet and have a lot of feel to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    What tape or ribbon did you use? I also went with orange accents, but haven't spotted an ideal tape yet.
    Florescent Orange Duct Tape from WallyWorld

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Trust me. I'd much rather be posting pic's of the trail and my bike I've been quite calm awaiting for my NT arrival. Surely you can imagine the frustration though when I had a delivery scheduled for today, cleared my afternoon schedule to pick it from the hub, and visions of riding it all weekend. Given the fact that it ships "signature required" and the historical damage with shipping a bike, I'd guess most others made similar arrangements to receive it. As for those who have already received theirs, I'm guessing they're too busy riding to mess around on the computer like me
    I feel for you. I did a BD order once before and I chased it around for a week before I had to drive to the depot to pick it up. I even blocked the street with my truck to stop the UPS truck because I thought he'd already been to my house, but it wasn't even on board.
    ...but you're bringin' me down.

I like the look of the Buds and Lous, but how "bad" are SnowShoes? They look pretty good.

-F

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine - due in Feb. - and I'd much rather see everyone else's build and ride pix than anything else.

I probably won't change anything except maybe the stem. I'll give it a solid, multi-season test ride before I go fiddling with it unless something is just glaringly intolerable. A Winter camo paintjob might happen sooner than later, though.

Thanks,
    -F
    On one hand, I agree with you. I would love for this to be a tech resource for the Nightrain/Sturgis frames. On the other hand, however, 33.3% of the itemized list of questions mentions the ship date. The shipping date and arrival schedule issues are absolutely related to the marketability of these bikes and whether or not someone would want to buy one in the first place.

The latest quoted ship date by BD was 11/12 and many of the bikes did not make that date and many more have not yet arrived. It is now the 21st and some bikes have STILL not arrived. Someone ordering a Nighttrain Bullet right now has a quoted ship date of February 16 at the latest. By the current precedent timeline, that puts the arrival date into March for those looking to pre-order. For myself, and many others that is nearing the end of the winter season when I start dreaming of dirt trails and it would be a definite no-go. I would buy something else that I do not have to wait so long for.

As far as the thread being a resource for people looking in to purchasing the bike, the wait is an integral part of that decision (unfortunately) and the issues that have arisen surrounding the shipping in general deserve some mention.

To do it all over I would have gotten an On One fatty for the $1300 price they had before winter was well on its way.

Now as soon as this forsaken bike arrives I promise I will post some useful tech and pic heavy goodness for the frothing MTBR masses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    sorry for all the misery you folks who are awaiting shipment... below is a link to a video of a ride last night.

large sturgis bullet totally stock.
    specialized fatboy with bluto and dillingers studded
    Pug with Nates
    and a Boris x9 with on one floaters.

it was close to 15 degrees, the hiking trail had iced up from foot prints and only 3 inches of rather dry, unpackable snow, so things could go sideways quick.

so far even stock... things with the sturgis are sweet, shifting fine, brakes not screaming, I am sure the studded dillingers likely the best tire of the group. but no issues with the stock snowshoes keeping up with them or the nates or floaters...

the true test will come on packed snow,, that can be a whole different ballgame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5rmSsr6Fg4

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I feel for you. I did a BD order once before and I chased it around for a week before I had to drive to the depot to pick it up. I even blocked the street with my truck to stop the UPS truck because I thought he'd already been to my house, but it wasn't even on board.
    ...but you're bringin' me down.

-F
    I'm dying over here!!! That's fantastic! I hear what you're saying though. Given that I took the day off, I just bundled my son up in three layers and we did yard laps on his strider bike. I feel much better now

The Snowshoes seem to have mixed reviews like any other tire. Some like 'em some don't. Personally I'm going to wait until at least next season before I think about different tires. There's obviously a bunch of movement in this area with a bunch of new tires coming out. I imagine selection and pricing will improve significantly over the next year or two.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    How is the stand-over?
    Not an awful lot of extra room for me, but not significantly worse than my medium Niner EMD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I like the look of the Buds and Lous, but how "bad" are SnowShoes? They look pretty good.
    I bought Bud & Lou to maximize my winter footprint. I'll be running SnowShoes the rest of the year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Is it safe to say you got your bike neons97?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Since this is my first new bike in quite a while, I covered much of my white Sturgis with CLEAR Gorilla tape. I'd post a picture but you literally can't see the tape.

I covered most of the area where you would get contact with other bikes on a rack, and the bottom of the down tube. The only place I didn't cover yet is the Motobecane decals, I'm not sure if the tape can be safely removed without pulling off the decal, though because the decal is underneath a clear coat it should be fine.

The clear Gorilla tape is amazing, very thick and waterproof. I've had a piece on my shower floor for almost a year and its just starting to peel a bit.

Professional Crastinator
    ...The shipping date and arrival schedule issues are absolutely related to the marketability of these bikes and whether or not someone would want to buy one in the first place.
    Agree. If you order one but can't get it, what's the point, right?

Not trying to scold anyone here. Just changing the focus.
    Hopefully everyone will have one more thing to be thankful for next week.

-F

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    I bought Bud & Lou to maximize my winter footprint. I'll be running SnowShoes the rest of the year!
    Bud and Lou are a game changer for bikes that can handle the big tires. #1 upgrade to make.

Growing up sucks!
    Night Train is inbound along with a set of red Turbines, rings, stem and some red Bear Traps. That ought to be a good color combo. Why is it I feel more impatient now than when I was having to wait until January? Now I want it to snow!...SC

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I took my NTB up into the woods not far from me tonight, for it's first off-road maiden voyage. Didn't really go too far, perhaps a mile and a half round trip. But it was kind of cool to see what this fat bike is all about.

It was dark and cold out, but you folks are inspiring me to be badass about it. I snapped on some lights and some layers of clothing, and went about it. After only a few minutes, I warmed right up.

As people have recommended, I'm going to have to experiment with the tire pressure. As near as I can tell, I have both tires pumped up to about 10, and I feel what some have described as "Self Steer". Gonna back it off a little and see what happens.

Tomorrow is my first real ride on proper trails. Looking forward to it.

Annoying Discovery: I bought fat bike adapters for my bike rack thru etrailer.com. Fat Tire Adapter Kit for Hollywood Racks Sport Rider and Trail Rider Bike Racks Hollywood Racks Accessories and Parts HRSPRWH-F
    Today I discovered I had two of the exact same rack components, not a left and a right like the pic in the etrailer catalog link. Sorting that out now thru their customer service. You can see on the attached image how poorly the bike sits on the rack on my car: front tire's in the incorrect downward facing rack, rear tire is correct upward facing rack. Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-ncm_0085.jpg

mtbr member

I got mine assembled up with some changes and personal touches.

Diety Black Market Bars in Prurple
    Deity seatpost clamp in purple
    Race face 30t nw in purple
    Kore repute 50mm stem
    Shimano SLX Brakes w/203mm front rotor
    One-up 42 tooth and 16t
    Specialized seatpost and Henge Saddle off my Stumpy
    Ergon GE1 grips
    Q-tubes standard 2.7's
    Reflective tape rimstrips with backing of clear duct tape
    Time Pedals
    Arundel bottle cages with purple bolts

That's about it for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzer2 View Post
    Since this is my first new bike in quite a while, I covered much of my white Sturgis with CLEAR Gorilla tape. I'd post a picture but you literally can't see the tape.

I covered most of the area where you would get contact with other bikes on a rack, and the bottom of the down tube. The only place I didn't cover yet is the Motobecane decals, I'm not sure if the tape can be safely removed without pulling off the decal, though because the decal is underneath a clear coat it should be fine.

The clear Gorilla tape is amazing, very thick and waterproof. I've had a piece on my shower floor for almost a year and its just starting to peel a bit.
    I do the same thing except I use the 3M "clearbra" tape that they use on the front of cars out west to prevent rock chips. It feels like 1mm thick vinyl but with a little more flex. I usually also wrap the drive side chainstay with cut up spent tube to keep chain slap away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Night Train is inbound along with a set of red Turbines, rings, stem and some red Bear Traps. That ought to be a good color combo. Why is it I feel more impatient now than when I was having to wait until January? Now I want it to snow!...SC

I got the red turbines too - badass for sure - look good with the red rim strips

Bad thing was - went out today to my fav trail which was nicely covered in super packed down snow. Ride was almost the best I've ever had - was sooooo happy. Bud and Lou perform 11/10 and couldn't have asked for more. Or could I.

About 45 minutes into my ride I hit a pretty big stick which proceeded to flip over, go into my rear spokes, take out 3 of them and ripped the valve off the tire. Daaaaaaaammmmmmittttt!

Anyway, replaced the spokes, got a new tube, and am still shaking my head.

Ah well, all in a days work. Avoid sticks though.

Growing up sucks!
    Stick no good for spokes! Sounds like a freak accident. We have storm clouds moving in and Tahoe is expecting snow. I have a tracking number so now I'm totally jonesing! One question...BD's pic shows 4.7 Snowshoes, but the spec sheet lists 4.5's. So which is it?..SC

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I got the red turbines too - badass for sure - look good with the red rim strips

Bad thing was - went out today to my fav trail which was nicely covered in super packed down snow. Ride was almost the best I've ever had - was sooooo happy. Bud and Lou perform 11/10 and couldn't have asked for more. Or could I.

About 45 minutes into my ride I hit a pretty big stick which proceeded to flip over, go into my rear spokes, take out 3 of them and ripped the valve off the tire. Daaaaaaaammmmmmittttt!

Anyway, replaced the spokes, got a new tube, and am still shaking my head.

Ah well, all in a days work. Avoid sticks though.
    I spewed diet mt dew as I read this lmao

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I spewed diet mt dew as I read this lmao
    Glad I can provide some much needed comic relief. Need that IPA even more though now. Last Sunday an old guy wanted to get into the grocery line ahead of me with his one item. My kids were on their last legs and I told him no. He was pretty surprised and said thanks sarcastically and walked off to another cash. Anyway the bad karma I earned that day got me a broken crank later that day and now this BS stick in the spokes. Also sucked walking 3 miles with a fatbike on my back. Lesson learned. Be nice to old dudes with one item.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Stick no good for spokes! Sounds like a freak accident. We have storm clouds moving in and Tahoe is expecting snow. I have a tracking number so now I'm totally jonesing! One question...BD's pic shows 4.7 Snowshoes, but the spec sheet lists 4.5's. So which is it?..SC
    I was concerned at first too. But they are both freaking big so no worries. That said they are 4.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They are the original Snowshoes....which really measure out to 4.25
    They are a very good tire

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have 2 small kids and I would have done the same thing. Melting down kids is no fun for anyone.

mtbr member

My new cockpit setup. 760mm/2" riser w/40mm stem. New Spank Spikes. And a matching clamp. Feels right to me.

The Snowshoe rear coupled with this geo just works. I was amazed by the traction on a steep, snow covered, grass hill. I could go wherever I wanted on it. Like a goat, I was.

mtbr member
    Finally got my NTB out for a real ride. All I can say is this thing was totally worth the wait. It is a ton of fun...is an understatement. It's been wet here the last day or so and it made for some amazing hero dirt and perfect weather to get out for the debut ride.

Impressions:
    Rides real smooth. TONS of traction and rolls over everything. Where I was riding there is a mix of terrain--rock gardens, roots, singletrack, decomposed granite trail, etc. The NTB handled it all really well. Almost like cheating with all the traction I got from the super fat tires .

The Bluto rocks as well. I came from riding a rigid (Al frame/steel fork) and this was an entirely new world. I was trying lines I wouldn't think of attempting on the rigid. It is smooth.

Climbing was easy, even for it's weight. I didn't feel it was significantly more sluggish than my previous bike. The front end did want to try and come off the ground on some steep stuff once in a while. I could stand and climb stuff pretty comfortably. Very stable bike.

For all the "long chainstay" chatter that has gone on about this (and the Framed Alaskan Carbon), the front end was not hard to loft over obstacles. This thing moves...it was fun hopping off of/over stuff. This bike will encourage you to take the more challenging line and begs to get some air under those big fat hoops.

With all the traction and huge tires, it is a forgiving ride...bad lines aren't as bad as they could be and some obstacles are less difficult to ride. In a way, I'm glad I spend the last 4 years on a rigid practicing selecting good lines and working on technique before getting this thing. If I started out my MTB experience on one of these I might never have learned how to pick a line...just point and shoot roll over everything .

I couldn't stop smiling all ride...and long after. Can't wait to get back out on the trails. Forecast calls for rain tomorrow but Sunday should be good for another ride.

Mods so far: Salsa Bend Bars, Bud/Lou on i9 hubs (that buzz tho ) and MuleFut rims--tubeless w/Stan's and tape (build by mikesee), grips, Fizik Gobi saddle, clipless pedals, Easton 65mm stem, seatpost from my Rockhopper 29er (shorter and lighter than the BD one).

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-ntb-rockville-11-21-14.jpg
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 11-21-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Adding a bit more info...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is it safe to say you got your bike neons97?
    Sad to say that I don't have my bike yet. I got a "green" status yesterday on my tracking. Called in just to confirm as it was a day early especially given the Buffalo weather. The agent confirmed it was physically there. I jumped for joy, took the day off work today and was all ready to hop across the border today to pick it up.

At 3am eastern time (local time) a UPS update came through and said my shipment was "delayed due to unforeseen weather". I call at 8am when I am up and they tell me my bike isnt actually at the depot and is still on a truck. I had to escalate three times before a manager broke down and told me that the last scan for the truck was Buffalo, but that it was stuck in the snow and wasn't going to be at the depot today.

I spent 45 minutes basically yelling at all three levels that i spoke with and demanded an answer as to why it was confirmed yesterday that it was physically at the depot and all 3am, it wasn't. It took them a while but they tracked the exact time I got the "green light email" and my phone call time and said that the agent read the electronic scan and mistook it for a physical scan. She explained that when a truck approaches the depot it generates an electronic scan. And when they uphaycially unload, it creates a physical scan. Well something triggered the e-scan. But when there was no physical scan that day, the system defaults to a "delay" status. Hence the 3am txt.

After 45 minutes minutes to get to this conclusion, I asked what they would do to compensate me fory day off. I told them they could either send it to me overnight to canada, or cover my lost salary for a vacation day.

After 5 minutes, she came back and said she couldn't send to canada as they don't own the package and cannot export. Also, they couldn't cover my whole days salary (the amount I gave them), but would offer me $150 usd as a compromise. I accepted.

Because of weather, the truck took a detour to the Syracuse hub. As the i90 to Buffalo is still closed. And will be transferred to the Buffalo hub on Monday. Now...you would think the end is near...but Buffalo is expected to flood seriously this weekend with the 7ft of snow melting under the warm 40-50 degree weather forecasted this weekend. So whether I get my bike on Monday is still anyone's guess.

I'm thinking this is my first and last internet order bike. With all these delays, I could've been riding a fatbike months ago. With the $1200 that bd has been sitting on for 4 months now and the $400 in parts I spent collecting while waiting for this thing, I couldve invested it and paid for a similar (lesser spec) model at a lbs by now.

I love Internet parts shopping. But this experience has clearly taught me that Internet bicycle purchase isn't for me.

mtbr member
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpgPickedMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpg
    Picked up my 17.5" NT from the ups hub and everything looked good opening up the box. Bike assembled with ease and I took it out for a ride around the block to shake it out and seat the pads.
    For now I put a short stem on and changed the saddle.
    Bike fit me perfect as I was a little worried about it being too big but With my long reach and at 5'7", the medium fits perfect. The measurements matched my Ibis except for a longer top tube and going with a 60mm stem and 5 degree risoe made the cockpit a comfortable fit. That stock stem is ridiculously long.
    Stand over height was fine with the rigid stock fork still installed.
    We'll see how the stand over is once I get it in some snow.
    I have a Bluto, carbon bars, And some other goodies to put on and plan on getting a new crank after deciding whether to go 1X.
    24" tubes for using splitube tubeless are in the plans also.
    I plan on riding it in the stock setup and then upgrade a few things at a time to feel the difference.
    It was a lot of fun just going around the block and I can't wait to get it out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Never had a chain break yet but whats a good replacement link and or tools that you pack on a ride for the KMC X10SL SUPER LIGHT that comes on the NT? Does the link have to be specific to this brand of chain?
    Last edited by skywardx; 11-22-2014 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Please keep us updated on size and stand over! The measurements put me between small and medium based on other bikes I ride, but the standover ultimately made me choose the small. Would love to hear people's arguments for/against going smaller (w/ longer stem) vs. larger (w/ shorter stem) specifically on a year-round fat bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Please keep us updated on size and stand over! The measurements put me between small and medium based on other bikes I ride, but the standover ultimately made me choose the small. Would love to hear people's arguments for/against going smaller (w/ longer stem) vs. larger (w/ shorter stem) specifically on a year-round fat bike.

Thanks!

Bullet vs rigid makes a huge difference in standover height. I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam and usually ride size Large bikes, my Stugis Bullet medium 17.5" has just enough standover height but I believe a Large 19" would have been to big for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bullet vs rigid makes a huge difference in standover height. I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam and usually ride size Large bikes, my Stugis Bullet medium 17.5" has just enough standover height but I believe a Large 19" would have been to big for me.
    Sounds like I made the right choice with the small. A couple of members have noted that they are my height and on a medium, but if you're at "just enough standover" on a Medium, and I am 30" inseam that makes me feel a lot more comfortable about my decision to go small.

Anyone disagree?

P.S. - Loving the posts of the new bikes! It's making me envious and I have 3 months to wait! (if anyone wants to sell their 15.5" NTB, let me know! (though it doesn't sound promising judging by all of the great reviews!))

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Oh boy... I see there's a purple 17.5 NT available on the site. Last one, too. If my Lurch was purple it'd be a whole lot easier to sneak the NT into the garage.

Stupid yellow Lurch...
    BAH!!! Finally broke down and was going to pull the trigger... But someone beat me to it! Oh well, I'll settle for some Lurch-Love for a few months or until something shinier catches my eye. ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Night Train with many modifications.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-phone-pictures-dec-17-2014-025.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-phone-pictures-dec-17-2014-039.jpgI have been riding my Small Night Train for about 13 hrs in and I am very satisfied. I have made quite a few modifications.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It is full xtr with a race face turbine crank. The seat post is a Thomson set back and the handlebar is a raceface carbon. I also added a Ritchey WCS stem and a Ritchey Streem saddle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Another pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imgp3067-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That looks fantastic!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sounds like I made the right choice with the small. A couple of members have noted that they are my height and on a medium, but if you're at "just enough standover" on a Medium, and I am 30" inseam that makes me feel a lot more comfortable about my decision to go small.

Anyone disagree?

P.S. - Loving the posts of the new bikes! It's making me envious and I have 3 months to wait! (if anyone wants to sell their 15.5" NTB, let me know! (though it doesn't sound promising judging by all of the great reviews!))
    I've been riding a Boris X9 size 17M for the past several months. I am 5' 7 1/2" with a 31" inseam with my shoes on. Stand over on the Boris 17M is 27.875". Just yesterday, I had a close call while pedaling up a muddy hill, I lost traction and had to take my feet off the pedals. Needless to say, my feet landed on the down side of the muddy hill, but I still had enough clearance. After reading a few reports of owners that are around my height and like inseam and the stand over of the 17.5" Sturgis Bullet at 29.45" (difference of 1.575") I ordered a 17.5" Sturgis Bullet. After reading a more recent post, I changed my order to a 15.5" Sturgis Bullet which has a stand over of 27.897" which is almost identical to my current Boris. The stem plus the TT is 682mm for the 17M Boris and 665.28" for the 15.5" Sturgis. That's only a difference of 16.72mm. Which will probably work better for me because I was thinking about getting a shorter stem for my Boris, so I am not so forward in my riding position. Long story made short, I do not disagree

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. I just finished adding 240 studs, a red seatpost clamp, red screws and and red spacers and stem top. I think I am done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I primarily ride tight single track in a twisty hill valley. I have a Tomac Carbide SL and Kona Explosif. I was worried about trying to get my Night Train moving in those high speed super technical corners with scrub oak trees at every corner waiting to make you pay if loose a line. No worries. The Night Train is extremely capable in the fast tight trail. Comparing it to a 9 zero 7 I rode its geometry seems much more similar to my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've been riding a Boris X9 size 17M for the past several months. I am 5' 7 1/2" with a 31" inseam with my shoes on. Stand over on the Boris 17M is 27.875". Just yesterday, I had a close call while pedaling up a muddy hill, I lost traction and had to take my feet off the pedals. Needless to say, my feet landed on the down side of the muddy hill, but I still had enough clearance. After reading a few reports of owners that are around my height and like inseam and the stand over of the 17.5" Sturgis Bullet at 29.45" (difference of 1.575") I ordered a 17.5" Sturgis Bullet. After reading a more recent post, I changed my order to a 15.5" Sturgis Bullet which has a stand over of 27.897" which is almost identical to my current Boris. The stem plus the TT is 682mm for the 17M Boris and 665.28" for the 15.5" Sturgis. That's only a difference of 16.72mm. Which will probably work better for me because I was thinking about getting a shorter stem for my Boris, so I am not so forward in my riding position. Long story made short, I do not disagree
    Yeah, it's a conundrum because I think I'm more of a fan of 60mm-70mm stems on my XC bikes. I'm working under the assumption that a stem on the slightly longer side will be better for an all season fat bike that will be used in mud/snowy conditions. (someone correct me if I am wrong here).

I know when I shortened the stem to 50mm on my Stumpjumper 29", the steering definitely became faster, but I definitely lost some of the "steamroller" effect which helped when cranking through rock gardens and root sections that I feel were easier with a 75mm stem. Not that I can't still clear the sections, but I just have to put in a bit more effort to keep from being thrown around by the terrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The frame is super solid. There is no hint of lateral frame flex with hard low rpm standing pedaling. The brakes are super powerful compared to my XTR brakes on my other bikes but have a little less modulation. The through axle and 1.5 lower headset make the front end steer with precision with no hint of flex or vagueness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    In response to your stem length post I have a rather unorthodox set up. I chose to get a 100mm stem and purchase a 620 mmm handlebar. The longer stem increases torque control and slows down steering but the shorter handle bar quickens steering response and fits between all our narrow trail oak trees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This also increase the effective top tube length and provides me with a larger cockpit to move around during steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfreedom View Post

Name:	Phone Pictures Dec 17, 2014 039.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	940978I have been riding my Small Night Train for about 13 hrs in and I am very satisfied. I have made quite a few modifications.
    Good looking bike!. Would you give me some details on the crankset? I was barely caught up before and all this fatbike stuff has me confused. I don't really know what fits a 190 rear spacing frame

mtbr member

Thanks!
    I went with the med (17.5") NTB. I am 5'7" and have a 29" inseam. Standover has been fine. I switched to a 65mm stem, no-rise bars and like the fit. I am more of a long torso/short legs guy so wanted the longer cockpit.

I am coming off a bike that was very comfortable for me and matched up the fit numbers to the NTB the best I could to mimic that position. If you need a lower, more aggressive position, I would suggest going with the 15.5" small to get lower on the front.

I live in NorCal so this is a year-round trail bike. Probably won't see a lick of snow during it's lifespan .

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Internal routing for Dropper?

I took my cranks off of my NTB, removed the BB, and installed the RaceFace Turbine Cinch. Before I did, I noticed these two holes. Anyone think a dropper could be routed internally and come out of a port at the junction of the downtube and head tube? It's a little hard to see but there is a hole coming from the seat tube and there is another hole going into the downtube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Since I had a defective x7 rear shifter, I went ahead and replaced it with an x9 shifter. I must say that to me there is a dramatic difference. The x9 shifter paired with the x9 derailleur is spot on. It rivals my XT setup on my 29er. I felt that the x7 was sluggish and difficult to set up. The x9 on the other hand was dead simple to set up and performs flawlessly. I would recommend going to x9 shifter if anyone is unhappy with the performance of the rear shifting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

It's too tight of a bend, would require a ridiculous amount of cable, and most of that space should be filled by the tube connecting your BB cups. But if you want to try it, let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I took my NTB on my first real ride today. I did just under 11 miles in Kitattiny State Park, up in Andover NJ. Rode with a couple of buddies on standard bikes, on familiar trails. The trails were dry, no snow, some compacted dried leaves. A few small muddy spots. A few crusty spots of ice. And a few spots where prior freezing/expansion created a bid of a mud shell that collapsed as we drove over it.. 32 degrees and sunny.

No surprise, but my buddies did a bit of waiting for me. Usually you buy things that makes you a faster rider. Well, a fat bike isn't one of them. LOL. Pushing all that weight around is a good amount of work. I found myself walking up a few hills that I normally don't. One part fat bike, one part falling out of physical shape... It's been a month since I've done any Mt biking and I've already put on a few lbs.

Felt great to be out though, and I loved that I was outside getting some exercise in the cold, and not watching TV. I bought this fatbike because it "can extend my season". Now I'm obligated to live up to that. A very very good thing.

One minor mishap: Upon attacking a hill, I down-shifted my rear derailleur. The chain got wedged between the spoke guard and the largest chain ring. A little bit of an ordeal to get that sorted out. I adjusted the upper limit set screw and it didn't happen again, although later in the ride I had a ghost shift or two. I might have to put my derailleur tool to the derailleur hanger though, just as a sanity check. Possible minor bending in shipping that i didn't notice before? Note to self: Buy a spare hanger.

I started out with about 12 PSI in both tires. Let some air out later in the ride, to see if it changed anything. There were subtle differences, with lower pressure being preferred (I think), but the jury's still out on what pressure is best for me.

As a Clydesdale rider, I moved away from hardtail bikes about 8 years ago and have been FullX ever since. Hardtails just seemed to beat me up too much around here. I have to admit that when I pulled the trigger on the NTB, I wondered if I had made a mistake by not waiting for a much lighter, FullX Fatbike. But I did it anyway out of complete and total impatience. I wanted a fatbike NOW!!! THIS SEASON, not next!! On today's ride, I very much noticed I was on a hardtail and very much noticed the bike's weight. Yet, I thoroughly enjoyed this completely new riding experience. I do foresee a lighter, FullX fatbike in my future someday, once they evolve some more and come down in price. Glad I got the Bluto fork though. Really glad!! Had I NOT had the shock fork, no doubt I'd be shopping for the upgrade right now.

As predicted, it took a little while to "do the dance" with the new ride. Not quite used to the SRAM shifters, but as the ride progressed, I started to make peace with 'em. But eventually my confidence grew on technical sections and ascents. A couple of trails stops here and there necessary to adjust seat, etc. Be advised, your standard Metrix Hex set doesn't cover all the bolts here, specifically on the SRAM shifters/brakes. You need a few star shaped bits as well.

So overall, I had a lot of fun. I love riding this bike. It's so...different!! I agree with the often repeated fatbike review: "made me feel like a kid again".

After the ride, I jumped on my buddy's 27.5 Giant Anthem X. In comparison, it felt cheap and squirrely, like a pogo stick. LOL.

OK, that's it for me for a while. Heading down to FL for a week, so no biking till Dec for me. Please have a happy and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Thanks for all of your advice and inspiration here. And here's to hoping all the outstanding deliveries, transactions and issues reported here get resolved quickly.
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-mecropped.jpg

mtbr member

Cool to see another fat biker so close. This is my first one and took out for a little shake down ride at hilltop near caldwell.

Was way fun. I started with 11 psi in rear and will mess with it more. Going to order a good low psi gauge. I weigh 220 without a pack.

My regular bike is a carbon FSR Stumpy 29er. Set this up with same reach etc. one thing I'm liking is the higher bottom bracket with all the downed trees. This is easier to go over than the stumpy.

Defiantly feel the weight vs the stumpy.

Anyways her it is. Xl bullet with some mods

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice! If you're looking for local fat biking partners, let me know. There's some great parks a little west of here.

mtbr member

Has anyone done a crankset replacement using a crank for a 170 rear end and a single ring? It looks like there is clearance. Don't know if it would with a bigger tire though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Live Free & Ride
    My NTB, stock except for the cockopit and rim strips!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imag0608.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imag0632.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imag0620.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imag0631.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imag0628.jpg  

17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    My NTB, stock except for the cockopit and rim strips!
    What are you using for rim strips?

Live Free & Ride
    What are you using for rim strips?
    Red "Danger" caution tape - 3 passes around
    5 1/2 inch foundation insulation - cut down to inner rim width

Using this setup with Q tubes 2.7's front and rear, no sealant.
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Why do you need the foundation stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sad to say that I don't have my bike yet. I got a "green" status yesterday on my tracking. Called in just to confirm as it was a day early especially given the Buffalo weather. The agent confirmed it was physically there. I jumped for joy, took the day off work today and was all ready to hop across the border today to pick it up.

At 3am eastern time (local time) a UPS update came through and said my shipment was "delayed due to unforeseen weather". I call at 8am when I am up and they tell me my bike isnt actually at the depot and is still on a truck. I had to escalate three times before a manager broke down and told me that the last scan for the truck was Buffalo, but that it was stuck in the snow and wasn't going to be at the depot today.

I spent 45 minutes basically yelling at all three levels that i spoke with and demanded an answer as to why it was confirmed yesterday that it was physically at the depot and all 3am, it wasn't. It took them a while but they tracked the exact time I got the "green light email" and my phone call time and said that the agent read the electronic scan and mistook it for a physical scan. She explained that when a truck approaches the depot it generates an electronic scan. And when they uphaycially unload, it creates a physical scan. Well something triggered the e-scan. But when there was no physical scan that day, the system defaults to a "delay" status. Hence the 3am txt.

After 45 minutes minutes to get to this conclusion, I asked what they would do to compensate me fory day off. I told them they could either send it to me overnight to canada, or cover my lost salary for a vacation day.

After 5 minutes, she came back and said she couldn't send to canada as they don't own the package and cannot export. Also, they couldn't cover my whole days salary (the amount I gave them), but would offer me $150 usd as a compromise. I accepted.

Because of weather, the truck took a detour to the Syracuse hub. As the i90 to Buffalo is still closed. And will be transferred to the Buffalo hub on Monday. Now...you would think the end is near...but Buffalo is expected to flood seriously this weekend with the 7ft of snow melting under the warm 40-50 degree weather forecasted this weekend. So whether I get my bike on Monday is still anyone's guess.

I'm thinking this is my first and last internet order bike. With all these delays, I could've been riding a fatbike months ago. With the $1200 that bd has been sitting on for 4 months now and the $400 in parts I spent collecting while waiting for this thing, I couldve invested it and paid for a similar (lesser spec) model at a lbs by now.

I love Internet parts shopping. But this experience has clearly taught me that Internet bicycle purchase isn't for me.
    Shaking my head at UPS and some seriously crumby luck. If your bike had only NOT been on the customs container it would have made it before the storm. Grrrrr

Live Free & Ride
    Why do you need the foundation stuff?
    The caution tape alone is much too thin, even wrapped 3 times around. The insulation acts as an added layer to protect the tube from punctures.
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    The caution tape alone is much too thin, even wrapped 3 times around. The insulation acts as an added layer to protect the tube from punctures.
    The foam won't do anything. It compresses to nothing after inflation. I rolled plastic packing tape onto my caution tape to make our stronger then did 2 passes. It might work for your, but something to think about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Did the first ride. As it sits bike is 33.3 pounds (w/pedals and cages). I like the low gears, but I think I'm going to end up with 1x10 to simplify things.
    Anyway, it was great fun but a ton of work. 25 miles, but only 1500 feet. Learning how to take advantage of traction and momentum will be crucial. Super fun little ride though!

mtbr member
    Few more pics from my first ride on my NTB.

And one where it is in "street mode" as it'll be my commuter as well...pardon the shaky cell phone shot, bad lighting, and the messy garage. Running Surly Black Floyds/stock 80mm rims/Surly Lite Tubes with Stan's for the roads.

Weighed it via the bathroom scale method tonight and in "trail mode" with the tubeless wheelset and Bud/Lou (as shown in the pics above) it is 30lbs.

Gonna try and get another ride in tomorrow. I am very impressed so far with what I got for my money with BD.

Bike is stiff (frame as well as having TA front and rear), handles well, is well made and the customer service has been pretty good from BD...parts delays and customs issues not withstanding .

To those of you on the fence on whether to buy, I would highly recommend the NTB. Those of you still waiting...be patient as it was well worth the wait to me .

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-rockville-cliff-view-11-21-14.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-rockville-parking-lot-11-21-14.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-ntb-street-mode-11-22-14.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Did the first ride. As it sits bike is 33.3 pounds (w/pedals and cages). I like the low gears, but I think I'm going to end up with 1x10 to simplify things.
    Anyway, it was great fun but a ton of work. 25 miles, but only 1500 feet. Learning how to take advantage of traction and momentum will be crucial. Super fun little ride though!
    Ugh...why is everyone so allergic to front derailleurs all of a sudden!? I can't be the only person doing technical uphills that are steep enough that you have to scoot weight forward to keep the front tire down and 30+mph pedally double-track in the same ride. I just don't get it. The spread just isn't enough with 1x. I would get the simplicity argument if front derailleurs were unreliable but they never fail so...fashion?

Also: the weights people are throwing out are all over the map.

mtbr member
    Few more pics from my first ride on my NTB.

And one where it is in "street mode" as it'll be my commuter as well...pardon the shaky cell phone shot, bad lighting, and the messy garage. Running Surly Black Floyds/stock 80mm rims/Surly Lite Tubes with Stan's for the roads.

Weighed it via the bathroom scale method tonight and in "trail mode" with the tubeless wheelset and Bud/Lou (as shown in the pics above) it is 30lbs.

Gonna try and get another ride in tomorrow. I am very impressed so far with what I got for my money with BD.

Bike is stiff (frame as well as having TA front and rear), handles well, is well made and the customer service has been pretty good from BD...parts delays and customs issues not withstanding .

To those of you on the fence on whether to buy, I would highly recommend the NTB. Those of you still waiting...be patient as it was well worth the wait to me .

Name:	Rockville Cliff View 11 21 14.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	941108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rockville Parking Lot 11 21 14.jpg 
Views:	1047 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	941109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NTB Street Mode 11 22 14.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	941110
    I love the orange flair. I also love your bathroom scale because that means my rigid fatty could be sub-30 which would be like Pepto-Bismal to my customs/shipping debacle ulcer.

Are those commuter tires full slicks? I have some 2.something" urban slicks that I commuted with years ago that had absolutely amazing grip on dry pavement so I can't begin to imagine what the grip would be like with 3"+ slicks. It would be like having a mini-super-moto bike; I would be making braap sounds all over the city.

mtbr member

Ugh...why is everyone so allergic to front derailleurs all of a sudden!? I can't be the only person doing technical uphills that are steep enough that you have to scoot weight forward to keep the front tire down and 30+mph pedally double-track in the same ride. I just don't get it. The spread just isn't enough with 1x.

The weights people are throwing out are all over the map.
    I agree. At least for where I ride, I want/need the option of the wider range of gears.

As for the weights, I think it is tough to keep track of all the info on everyone's rigs (weight of stock bike, mods, size of bike, etc.) to see if the weights are comparable.

mtbr member

I love the orange flair. I also love your bathroom scale because that means my rigid fatty could be sub-30 which would be like Pepto-Bismal to my customs/shipping debacle ulcer.

Are those commuter tires full slicks? I have some 2.something" urban slicks that I commuted with years ago that had absolutely amazing grip on dry pavement so I can't begin to imagine what the grip would be like with 3"+ slicks. It would be like having a mini-super-moto bike; I would be making braap sounds all over the city.
    Thanks. I originally ordered a small in matte black and was setting up an orange and black theme.

I was surprised by the scale as well. Hoping it is close to true. In comparison to my rigid the NTB moves and climbs well. After riding the Bluto, I would pay the weight penalty to have the performance over a rigid in most conditions.

The commuter tires are Surly Black Floyds, 3.8 in. They have some tread patterning...not completely slick. In the quick spin around the neighborhood after installing them, they roll well and have pretty good grip.

Growing up sucks!
    My Night Train will be in the Friday after Thanksgiving and I want to get a Revelate Ranger frame bag. The bike is a 19" (Large), but I'm not sure of the frame dimensions. If anybody has a large and a tape measure, I'd sure appreciate some info on the inner dimensions of the main triangle. Many thanks...SC

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Race face turbine fat bike crankset comes in 170 mm and 190 mm configurations. Both of these fit a 100 mm shell but the 190 mm has a longer axel of a 120mm. They provide you two 10 mm spacers that are placed between the bearings and the crank arms. The Q factor is pretty high being 222.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ugh...why is everyone so allergic to front derailleurs all of a sudden!? I can't be the only person doing technical uphills that are steep enough that you have to scoot weight forward to keep the front tire down and 30+mph pedally double-track in the same ride. I just don't get it. The spread just isn't enough with 1x. I would get the simplicity argument if front derailleurs were unreliable but they never fail so...fashion?

Allergic to front derailleurs...Nope....Fashion statement...Hardly

It all has to do with what works for you, where you ride, your riding style but mostly your conditioning. I switched to 1x a while back and at first found myself struggling on climbs I would normally make. But once I couldn't rely on my granny ring for those steep climbs it forced me to dig deep and grind it out. I struggled at first, had to hike a few times but soon after a while found myself making the climbs and making them faster. My legs got stronger. The smaller ring gives me better clearance so I am hitting less rocks and stuff. The cleaner cockpit with less clutter and fewer parts to adjust or break is a real advantage. With more chainrings your forced to think about gear combinations and where you need to be for the next climb. With 1x your just a click or two away if the going gets hard or a few clicks the other way for more speed. If I occasionally find myself spinning out at 25+ I stop peddling and enjoy catching my breath and coasting. With 1x I find myself riding less distracted and more in tune with my bike and the trail.

Simplicity = Peace of mind = more fun
    Last edited by skywardx; 11-23-2014 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ^+1. Or you could be lazy like me and have a 26 up front with a 42 in the back which has the same gear ratio as 22 front and 36 rear. I like to coast

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    took the sturgis bullet out on some snow covered singletrack and beach riding... there were four motobecanes.. a rigid sturgis among them,,, had a blast. still happy with the snowshoes but might be diy studding them up. I can tell you three slams down on the ice... don't worry bike is fine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APdC6ec7JVo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Because we ride different terrain. I ride some very technical rocky climbs. Also fire roads getting well over 20%. My ht 26er is a 1x9 and I do most riding on that. When I am in s technical climb, having a lower gear would give me less power per stroke and pedaling more often would lead to pedal strikes.
    The majority of my MTB rides are 25 miles but 5k feet of climbing. I also have done up to 75mi, but flatter. I usually ride with friends on SS ht 29ers.
    If you're dropping into the 22x36 for all your climbs, then you frankly would not keep up with them.
    I would say, worry about what you ride.
    The simplicity argument is I don't like having to decide between chain rings. I bet you ride a 2x10- and not a 3... Cause that's more simple! Just think how much easier a 1 is...
    The weight I posted is with changes to cockpit and running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

I too was considering the 1x switch, for simplicity's sake, but have since changed my mind. I have been in the very top gear and the very bottom gear on the same trail. Maybe, mayyyybe I could get away with a single front gear if I bought a new chainring... but I don't know if I want to actually spend money to reduce complication. And this is coming from someone who hates gears enough that about half of my riding is on a sw8 fixay...

The weights people are throwing out are probably mostly derived from $20 bathroom scales that lack both precision and accuracy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twright205 View Post
    took the sturgis bullet out on some snow covered singletrack and beach riding... there were four motobecanes.. a rigid sturgis among them,,, had a blast. still happy with the snowshoes but might be diy studding them up. I can tell you three slams down on the ice... don't worry bike is fine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APdC6ec7JVo
    Holy fat batman!!! Were there any skinnies out there? If so, how did they do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I too was considering the 1x switch, for simplicity's sake, but have since changed my mind. I have been in the very top gear and the very bottom gear on the same trail. Maybe, mayyyybe I could get away with a single front gear if I bought a new chainring... but I don't know if I want to actually spend money to reduce complication. And this is coming from someone who hates gears enough that about half of my riding is on a sw8 fixay...

The weights people are throwing out are probably mostly derived from $20 bathroom scales that lack both precision and accuracy.
    I would have to say that any recreational rider who mashes 36/11 on a trail for any reasonable amount of time to rule out 1x as an option is a beast...just sayin

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So I got a NTB, but is isn't arriving until the second batch in February. I have a spare Reverb sitting around, do you guys recommend putting it onto the NTB or should I just sell it off?

mtbr member
    Now why you gotta go out and dash our hopes like that .

I am sure that my Wal-Mart scale is spot on to a scientifically significant digit ...at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it...but now that you mention it, maybe it IS wrong and I'm NOT a cylde .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewr06 View Post

Views:	503 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	940929PickedClick image for larger version. 

Views:	462 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	940928
    Picked up my 17.5" NT from the ups hub and everything looked good opening up the box. Bike assembled with ease and I took it out for a ride around the block to shake it out and seat the pads.
    For now I put a short stem on and changed the saddle.
    Bike fit me perfect as I was a little worried about it being too big but With my long reach and at 5'7", the medium fits perfect. The measurements matched my Ibis except for a longer top tube and going with a 60mm stem and 5 degree risoe made the cockpit a comfortable fit. That stock stem is ridiculously long.
    Stand over height was fine with the rigid stock fork still installed.
    We'll see how the stand over is once I get it in some snow.
    I have a Bluto, carbon bars, And some other goodies to put on and plan on getting a new crank after deciding whether to go 1X.
    24" tubes for using splitube tubeless are in the plans also.
    I plan on riding it in the stock setup and then upgrade a few things at a time to feel the difference.
    It was a lot of fun just going around the block and I can't wait to get it out on the trails.
    Can't wait to see it with the Bluto! I wish it came stock with the purple.
    “NICE ASS!”

-Sheriff Buford T. Justice

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

I've always been on the 'cusp' of wanting to do the 1x10 but was keeping the granny just in case. Then I said screw it and got a raceface 30T and did the switch. With the 36 that comes on these bikes, yeah, don't just drop the 22 and expect to stay 36 front 1x10 unless you are a seriously talented climber. But the 30T is much different and gets closer to the magic number provided by the 22/36 you get with the granny.

You also have to decide whats good for the trails you ride all the time. My close trails allow me to ride a 1x10 30/11-36 so its setup that way. I like losing that FD as no matter how many adjustments I seem to make to the high/low, i eventually get some chain rub on the FD and i HATE it! The 30T is a narrow wide and keeps the chain on without any drops, especially with the clutch RD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I made a comment like that on Pinkbike and just about got ran out of there. So many fanboys out there for 1X its crazy.

mtbr member

I am a huge 1x supporter, but won't go there on a fatbike, as it is a self limiting decision. On a fair weather bike, you can stand and mash the steep hills with 1x. If it's that steep and sustained they you can't, it's **** riding anyway.

You can't stand and mash snowy steeps, and you can't power through deep, tackless powder. You have to sit and spin. There are situations where 26T is absolutely necessary, and rides where it's way too short. Either swap chainrings ride to ride, or accept the compromises.

Show me a 1x crank that lets me run 26T and swap chainrings without removing a crank arm, and I'll reconsider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I made a comment like that on Pinkbike and just about got ran out of there. So many fanboys out there for 1X its crazy.
    It is because they spent money that they thought would make them faster but it made them push more and have less fun. Now they spent all this good money on shiny color-coordinated bits and can't bring themselves to return the bike to stock and the cognitive dissonance is bubbling over into comments and forums.

My buddys that have gone 1X have experienced dropped chains (with clutch derailleurs and narrow/wide chainrings) and end up pushing hills they used to ride. Some have switched back, some just ***** about the damn trail being too steep, some just ride less. No joke. If I ride the "hard" trails they go do something tamer. The one that refuses to go back to stock had to get a chain guide that looks like a front derailleur and when I noticed it and chuckled he said "shut up I know what you are going to say." I laughed harder. That is the case around here anyway.

"...If it's that steep and sustained they you can't, it's **** riding anyway." I flat out disagree. Steep up means steep down. Bugs in my teeth and all that happy feel-good sh!t. I refuse to shuttle but love to go downhill so there is only one way up and usually the fastest way is straight up. No pushing no matter how many videos show Patsies pushing.

mtbr member
    It is because they spent money that they thought would make them faster but it made them push more and have less fun. Now they spent all this good money on shiny color-coordinated bits and can't bring themselves to return the bike to stock and the cognitive dissonance is bubbling over into comments and forums.

My buddys that have gone 1X have experienced dropped chains (with clutch derailleurs and narrow/wide chainrings) and end up pushing hills they used to ride. Some have switched back, some just ***** about the damn trail being too steep, some just ride less. No joke. If I ride the "hard" trails they go do something tamer. That is the case around here anyway.

"...If it's that steep and sustained they you can't, it's **** riding anyway." I flat out disagree. Steep up means steep down. Fun as **** bugs in my teeth and all that happy feel-good sh!t. I refuse to shuttle but love to go downhill so there is only one way up and usually the fastest way is straight up. No pushing no matter how many videos show Patsies pushing.
    Somewhere on one of the BD threads someone actually said they walked up a hill instead of dropping into the small front ring (which they had on their bike at the time) then went on to post the merits of going 1x. Totally baffling.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast