Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 4325
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Womby View Post
    I know it was asked, but I don't think ever answered...what is the a2c length of the stock fork on the non-bullet Sturgis/Nighttrain?
    I don't know the length but I know they stated that adding a bluto would cause the standover to rise by 1". I'm pretty sure bullets shipped with a 120m bluto. Might be easier to find info on the bluto than Sturgis

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sorry if I was unclear, I'm looking to find out what the A2C is on the stock alloy fork (non-Bluto) because it is only with that length that you get the geometry advertised for BB height, HT angle, etc. I've got a NT Bullet with 120mm travel and, while I'm liking it, I'd actually like to try to get the fork length adjusted to try it with the geometry matched for the rigid geometry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Womby View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear, I'm looking to find out what the A2C is on the stock alloy fork (non-Bluto) because it is only with that length that you get the geometry advertised for BB height, HT angle, etc. I've got a NT Bullet with 120mm travel and, while I'm liking it, I'd actually like to try to get the fork length adjusted to try it with the geometry matched for the rigid geometry.
    Maybe set the bluto so standover 1" higher than advertised specs and measure A/C. Then reduce bluto height so it drops standover by 1" and measure new bluto A/C. Bikedirect sells a carbon fork that has a 480mm A/C. Or their cr-mo fork they sell says it's 455 A/C. But that's different than the stock sturgis fork as the sturgis had thru axles and this one has QR

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does anyone out there know what size crown race I need for the stock rigid fork on a Sturgis?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Happy 4 year anniversary to original generation of Sturgis and Night Train folks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    just picked up an 2018 Night Train Express (GX 1x11 version) which has been lowered to $1400 down from $1500 originally. Out of the box the 17.5 frame weighs about 33 lbs stock with no reflectors and no pedals (measured with bathroom scale method). I was hoping for sub 30 but hopefully it won't be that hard to get it under 30 without spending too much. I already have some lighter tires coming in which should help, plus I've read the stock tubes and rim strip are heavy, so we'll see how much we can lose just from that.

Looking at the weights for the Maxxis Minions, they are 1600g each.. that's over 7 pounds of rubber on the bike. If I were to swap to Kenda Juggernauts I would definitely be sub 30, though I've read they have really bad rolling resistance. Going tubeless could possibly get into the 28 range, which is fast approaching the advertised weight on the Titanium model at 26.3 for tubeless with Juggernauts

edit: I got out a better scale and did some measurements after swapping some tires.. got it down to 13.6 kg which is 29.98.. sub 30! that's with some cheap pedals on there... definitely sub 30 without the pedals. And just with a tire and tube swap. Swapped out the stock Minions for some 120tpi Speedsters in 26x3.5. Speedsters measure about 3.9 wide on the 80mm rims

The actual weight of the Minions was 1700g and the actual weight of the speedsters is 1050g.. I swapped in some 26x2.3 tubes I had which were about a pound lighter (each wheel!) than the stock tubes too. It feels so much better with at least two pounds off each wheel. I didn't even test ride the stock set up but just moving the bike around it felt like there was lead in the wheels. If I went tubeless I think I could lose another half pound or so. That's pretty good without even swapping any components or wheels or anything. I'm pretty happy with the purchase
    Last edited by frantik!; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow, 4 years already? Mine arrived 11/20/14 (with a bent der hanger). :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've seen a lot of great shots of the matte gray, anybody have a good picture of the
    midnight purple?

Also i see a lot of mention of black friday on bikesdirect.com, but i guess its just certain bikes? Cant see them actually discounting most bikes any further. I've been looking at the nighttrain express for over a year, really debating finally pulling the trigger

One more question, does BD not list the stack height of their bikes in the geo charts?
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    My Night Trail Ti arrived 3 years ago now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I've made some modifications but did not have to, I just made it more 'mine'. I did upgrade the bottom bracket which cured the creaking but I have not touched the Bluto despite lots of winter riding. Other additions are dropper (non-winter), 100mm tubeless wheels, and 22/32 x 11-42.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-52ec8a0f-c69a-4379-b9b6-7530deb52682-l.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What do you call those things that go over the hand grips (which I assume are to keep your hands warm)? I think I need to get something like that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Rider View Post
    What do you call those things that go over the hand grips (which I assume are to keep your hands warm)? I think I need to get something like that...
    Pogies is what I hear them called. I'm getting a pair myself, the 45NRTH brand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Also i see a lot of mention of black friday on bikesdirect.com, but i guess its just certain bikes? Cant see them actually discounting most bikes any further. I've been looking at the nighttrain express for over a year, really debating finally pulling the trigger
    The GX 1x11 Night Train Express is $100 less than it used to be, but they don't usually lower prices significantly until they are trying to close out on a model.

I'm super happy with my night train express... here's some pics of the blue/purple one btw https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2105836/

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Finally got in my first ride on snow yesterday with the Night Train Bullet I picked up off Craigslist this Sept. Snow wasn't deep but not well packed (was an open field) and had some patches of rough ice. It was as fun as I hoped it would be. I did a lot of smiling. Had to stop after a half hour as I was drenched--dialing in my layers is clearly something I'm going to have to work on.

Also need to figure out tire pressure (big surprise there). I'm 165# and had 5psi front 4psi rear while running the original tock Vee Snowshoe 4.5s. That was fine where the snow was packed by walkers or just only 1-2" deep. But when I got into deeper drift areas there was no float. So I'm guessing I need to go even lower.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Pogies is what I hear them called. I'm getting a pair myself, the 45NRTH brand.
    I just picked up a set and they are much better than the Bar Mitts I used previously. I had to downgrade my gloves at 6F because the ones I wore were too hot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think I read in this thread or somewhere that someone switched the BB spindle to a shorter one on the night train? it seems like there probably would be clearance and also get the chainring in the center of the cassette more (though I'm not having chainline issues).. anybody do this? what size spindle did you use?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    170mm if you have the Race Face Turbine cranks. Works great for me but cant guaranty it if you have large feet or ride with your heels angled in. No clearance issues with Minion or Jumbo Jim 4.8s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    170mm if you have the Race Face Turbine cranks. Works great for me but cant guaranty it if you have large feet or ride with your heels angled in. No clearance issues with Minion or Jumbo Jim 4.8s.
    Looking on Raceface's website, I see a 68/73 spindle kit, a 100mm spindle kit and a 190 spindle kit, but no 170mm kit? Their website says the 100mm spindle should be compatible with 197 rear spacing..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Universalcycles.com has them. Item # 67411-159660. Raceface cinch 169.5 mm spindle kit. This the one i installed.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    My 2015 Moto Sturgis Bullet still takes me on some epic rides....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Universalcycles.com has them. Item # 67411-159660. Raceface cinch 169.5 mm spindle kit. This the one i installed.
    thanks!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Further review after the last ride indicates that my NDS crank bearing has been contaminated. While the "seals" are pretty weak, I'm going to fess up and say that it's probably my own fault that I didn't pack the "seals" with grease to keep water-borne grit from getting in. Riding in the frozen conditions it was of no concern, but in my haste to ride I forgot to get back to it. My advice is to catch it early. It was literally overnight that the bearing nearly seized up. I'm good at reviving old, abused parts, though, so I got it smoothed out again.
    Attachment 989464
    BTW - after this ride, I washed the bike - gently - and still poured out about a 1/4 cup of clean water from the NDS chainstay and bottom bracket. So the frame is not sealed very tight. I may have to address that with the clear silicone (which also addresses cable rub if applied neatly).

No. Mine have 17mm wrench flats on both retainers. I can tighten them just fine, but there is no lock nut so the adjustment is maintained by the thru-axle compression (which is not ideal in my book). If I remove the NDS retainer, the whole axle and freehub come out the other side, easy peasy.

I'm still really liking the bike for its intended purpose. I will probably never put <4" tire on it.

-F
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Wayyyy back in this thread, ~3 mos. after I got my Sturgis, I noticed the bottom bracket was binding a little. I took it apart and removed the dust covers from the bearings and found rust. I cleaned them, packed them with grease, wiped the inside of the bottom bracket with grease, re-assembled with more grease, and now it is running very well. And it has been ridden completely submerged in creeks and lakes with sand and sediment stirring in the water. I've ridden on slushy, salty roads, muddy farm tracks, and sandy beaches. The grease keeps the junk out.
    BTW - my frame holds probably 8 oz. of water that needs to be drained after really wet rides.

-F
    OK, it is once again bottom bracket maintenance time.

Sometime in the interim, I did pop the seals and add a little Tenacious Oil to the BB bearings, but that was being pretty lazy, so I finally did a complete breakdown, clean, and re-lube this past weekend. Mind you, these bearings are still from 2015. One of the bearings was just about locked up after the World Fatbike Day Ride in the rain last week, so it was time.
    They are nearly like new again.
    But if your bearings are unrecoverable, this is the number:
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgiscrankbrg%5B1%5D.jpg
    "6805RS"

Should be good for several more years.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I'm using a RF Turbine Cinch crank arms (for 170mm rear spacing) and Wolftooth direct mount 28T chainring on my Sturgis. So far, the only issue I have is a little chain rub on my Jumbo Jim 4.8 tire when I shift to the lowest 42T cog on my 10spd cassette.
    I'm gonna replace my Jumbo Jim 4.8 later (it's 3 years old already) and I'll try to flip the chainring this time to get rid of the chain to tire rubbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    For those of you who have purchased the 29er wheelset from BikesDirect, have you been satisfied overall with the purchase?

Considering a set for my Diamondback ElOso, as a way to lighten the bike up for commuting purposes without spending BIG dollars on different wheelset.
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    just picked up an 2018 Night Train Express (GX 1x11 version) which has been lowered to $1400 down from $1500 originally. Out of the box the 17.5 frame weighs about 33 lbs stock with no reflectors and no pedals (measured with bathroom scale method). I was hoping for sub 30 but hopefully it won't be that hard to get it under 30 without spending too much. I already have some lighter tires coming in which should help, plus I've read the stock tubes and rim strip are heavy, so we'll see how much we can lose just from that.

Looking at the weights for the Maxxis Minions, they are 1600g each.. that's over 7 pounds of rubber on the bike. If I were to swap to Kenda Juggernauts I would definitely be sub 30, though I've read they have really bad rolling resistance. Going tubeless could possibly get into the 28 range, which is fast approaching the advertised weight on the Titanium model at 26.3 for tubeless with Juggernauts

edit: I got out a better scale and did some measurements after swapping some tires.. got it down to 13.6 kg which is 29.98.. sub 30! that's with some cheap pedals on there... definitely sub 30 without the pedals. And just with a tire and tube swap. Swapped out the stock Minions for some 120tpi Speedsters in 26x3.5. Speedsters measure about 3.9 wide on the 80mm rims

The actual weight of the Minions was 1700g and the actual weight of the speedsters is 1050g.. I swapped in some 26x2.3 tubes I had which were about a pound lighter (each wheel!) than the stock tubes too. It feels so much better with at least two pounds off each wheel. I didn't even test ride the stock set up but just moving the bike around it felt like there was lead in the wheels. If I went tubeless I think I could lose another half pound or so. That's pretty good without even swapping any components or wheels or anything. I'm pretty happy with the purchase
    I just purchased the same exact bike, down to frame size and color! It certainly seemed like the best deal with the extra $100 off.

The bike was 10x nicer than I was expecting.

That's quite exciting to hear how easily you can get it under 30lbs.

I must ask- my front through axle on the thread size of the hub will not go all of the way through.

Has anyone else had this issue on these hubs? Seems like one side of the front hub (non disc side) has too small of an insert on it for the through axle.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Edit:

The non disc side measured 14.85mm for some reason. I just bored it out to 15mm with my carbide quick and it's good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    It's crazy how much the wheels/tires weigh.

The setup that comes on the NT Express:

Tubes: 1200g
    Tires: 3300g
    Rims: 1660g
    Front hub: 219g
    Rear hub: 421g
    64 spokes/nipples: 382g

7182g (15.8lbs)

Just going to a lighter tire (Jumbo Jim @2380g/pr) and running tubeless would save almost 5lbs (2120g).

Doing a DT Swiss BR2250 wheelset (2228g/set), converting to tubeless, and switching to "Jumbo Jims" (2380g/pr) would bring all of that down to 4608g (~10.1lbs).

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344