Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I love talking about chainrings as much as the next guy but who still doesn't have a bike shipped and has received zero input from BD. I'll start: ME!
    '10 Specialized Big Hit 33lbs
    '12 Santa Cruz Butcher 30lbs
    '13 On One 456 EVO hardtail 27lbs
    '95 Barracuda Hardtail 25lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Also the 104 BCD standard was never intended to accept a 30T ring which is why they have it offset to clear the spider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    I love talking about chainrings as much as the next guy but who still doesn't have a bike shipped and has received zero input from BD. I'll start: ME!
    I got replies to all of my emails within a business day or less (about 6 emails), are you not having the same experience? or are you waiting for them to reach out to you?
    Sorry if you said already, this is a loooong thread.
    [email protected] - Karla is who replied to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you want a 2-ring set-up, the smallest 104BCD ring that can shift with a derailleur is 32T.

All of the narrow-wide rings (Race Face, Wolftooth, Pacenti, OnOne, SRAM X-Sync, etc..) WILL NOT SHIFT (with a derailleur). So don't try. You will break your chain trying to do this.

However, with a narrow-wide ring, you can effectively make this a "dinglespeed" (a double-singlespeed) where you keep the 22T granny ring as a bail-out gear, but by hopping off the bike and manually moving the chain off the narrow-wide ring and down to the 22T ring, you get the low gear. That way, you can get rid of the front shifter, derailleur, housing, etc. and save yourself the 3/4 of a pound and simplify the bar control setup. Please note that this "dinglespeed" approach will not work with a 30T NW ring. All 30T NW rings need a 2mm offset so that the chain can clear the spider. If you use the 22T ring, it will catch on the 30T ring's teeth, causing lots of unwanted problems.

Using any regular (i.e. 104 BCD) 32T (shifter) ring will be fine to replace the 36T ring that is stock. Depending on the ring brand, shifting performance may not be completely perfect as the rings are generally ramped/timed to work together as a "system" for smoother shifting. Keep in mind that on most 3-ring set-ups, the middle-ring is either a 32 or 34, so a 22-to-32 jump is very normal. What you're looking to do is effectively taking a normal 3x crankset and taking off the outer ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skywardx View Post
    The wolftoorh ring will NOT allow shifting with a front derailleur, Im not sure if any other NW brands will either. Some people still use a 22 with NW ring but stop and manually switch the chain by hand. The 30t with the offset might move the ring to much inboard and interfere with the chain.
    That's what I figured. Thats the hole "chain stays on" part I suppose.

Again though, anyone know of a 30T ring that WILL allow normal shifting, or are we limited to 32?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fripp View Post
    That's what I figured. Thats the hole "chain stays on" part I suppose.

Again though, anyone know of a 30T ring that WILL allow normal shifting, or are we limited to 32?
    limited to 32

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    limited to 32
    Know of a 32 that would work with this Samox crank then? (and allow for the 22 still).

I asked earlier but didn't get an definitive answer however one awesome guy said he'd investigate if his 29'er would work.

I just figured someone else might have already known which one would work from experience maybe

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just guessing that one, or you tried it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Still waiting on bike shipment for T bullet black Med., received one solicited email from BD saying it is stuck in customs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sorry that ones for a triple middle position

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sorry that ones for a triple middle position
    Won't work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Won't work?
    9 speed middle

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    9 speed middle
    Any idea of one that WILL work? Hate to keep harpin on ya, but you seem to know about this stuff better than me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    9 speed middle
    8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed - they all work on the front, do they not? I know for a fact that 9 and 10 speed fronts work fine on a 10 speed system. I am not 100% on 8 speed stuff but I would bet they work fine too. I also know it doesn't matter if it is a triple ring front setup "middle" ring - both my 2x9 setups were running 3x9 until I removed the outer gear and swapped on a bash ring. I am going to steal the middle ring from one tonight and try it on the Samox cranks. I am mostly worried about interference with the crank arms themselves NOT if it will fit on the spider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Perfect Destr0 - will await your knowledge..... i also took my big ring off my 29'er ad bashed it up - so much better over logs.

But in this case it would fitted as the big ring, so not sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anybody try a chain-guide like an ICG mounted MRP yet?

Just for reference I test fitted my BB mounted MRP G2 SL and because our cranks have a spacer it will not fit at all unless you maybe use it on the middle ring (assuming you can find a middle ring 30-36). Sorry, should have taken a pic but didn't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I believe a 2x10 FD will work with 9 speed stuff and shift pretty smoothly but you could get a little more chain wear. As I understand it, everything is a little narrower with 10 speed
    Last edited by skywardx; 11-13-2014 at 02:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    If you want a 2-ring set-up, the smallest 104BCD ring that can shift with a derailleur is 32T.

All of the narrow-wide rings (Race Face, Wolftooth, Pacenti, OnOne, SRAM X-Sync, etc..) WILL NOT SHIFT (with a derailleur). So don't try. You will break your chain trying to do this.

However, with a narrow-wide ring, you can effectively make this a "dinglespeed" (a double-singlespeed) where you keep the 22T granny ring as a bail-out gear, but by hopping off the bike and manually moving the chain off the narrow-wide ring and down to the 22T ring, you get the low gear. That way, you can get rid of the front shifter, derailleur, housing, etc. and save yourself the 3/4 of a pound and simplify the bar control setup. Please note that this "dinglespeed" approach will not work with a 30T NW ring. All 30T NW rings need a 2mm offset so that the chain can clear the spider. If you use the 22T ring, it will catch on the 30T ring's teeth, causing lots of unwanted problems.

Using any regular (i.e. 104 BCD) 32T (shifter) ring will be fine to replace the 36T ring that is stock. Depending on the ring brand, shifting performance may not be completely perfect as the rings are generally ramped/timed to work together as a "system" for smoother shifting. Keep in mind that on most 3-ring set-ups, the middle-ring is either a 32 or 34, so a 22-to-32 jump is very normal. What you're looking to do is effectively taking a normal 3x crankset and taking off the outer ring.
    What do you think of this one suggested by a user here

Amazon.com : Truvativ Trueshift Chainring : Bike Chainrings And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Its a middle ring but I'd think should work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tresrios View Post
    red
    wow! Beautiful. I thought my Orange Boris was nice...grats

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What would you guys say is an acceptable tolerance for straightness of chainrings/crank? Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think I can see it wobble from left to right when moving the pedals. As a test, I cross-chained it on purpose, and turning the cranks slowly, the sides of the chain always drag the derailleur cage at the same pedal positions. It happens with both chainrings so they are either both messed up or the spider/axle/?? is. I'm working on uploading a video, but does this sound like it's worth complaining about?

EDIT: the position that the inner chainring is closest to the inside is the opposite of the position when the outer chainring is closest to the outside. I feel like this means more than likely the imperfection is in the spindle/crank. But again, could be totally normal for a crankset of this quality... this really worries me.
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 11-12-2014 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Med silver nighttrain bullet.2 days past my date of shipment window.. very.annoyed

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    Second thing I noticed was my BENT Derailleur Hanger. Arghhhh. The mech was pushed into the spokes. I took pics and emailed them to BD.
    Customer service at BD is fantastic!

They will send me out a new hanger when they are available. In the mean time I took the bike to my LBS to straighten out the hanger. BD is going to reimburse me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Received my 19" white Sturgis Bullet on Friday. Only problem was the front disk brake adaptor had a cross threaded hole and one the bolts holding the caliper wouldn't tighten. I just ordered a new adaptor from ebay. BD might of sent me one but thought it would be quicker to get it from ebay. Didn't cost much anyway. As for weight, the changes I made were carbon fiber handlebars and seat post, titanium rail saddle, and foam grips. I changed to the red rim strips included with the bike. The changes took off just under 1.5 pounds. After the changes the bike weighed 35.5 pounds (19" Sturgis bullet). That's weighed with an accurate digital scale. That means the bike weighed just under 37 pounds stock. That seems higher than some people are getting. Unless no one weighed their bike stock.
    Last edited by bdjoh; 11-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Edited prior post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    35.5 and 37 lbs right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    35.5 and 37 lbs right?
    kilograms maybe?
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    What would you guys say is an acceptable tolerance for straightness of chainrings/crank? Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think I can see it wobble from left to right when moving the pedals. As a test, I cross-chained it on purpose, and turning the cranks slowly, the sides of the chain always drag the derailleur cage at the same pedal positions. It happens with both chainrings so they are either both messed up or the spider/axle/?? is. I'm working on uploading a video, but does this sound like it's worth complaining about?

EDIT: the position that the inner chainring is closest to the inside is the opposite of the position when the outer chainring is closest to the outside. I feel like this means more than likely the imperfection is in the spindle/crank. But again, could be totally normal for a crankset of this quality... this really worries me.
    I've had a bent chainring before. This is likely your problem as the teeth will pry apart the plates on the chain.
    Take off your chain rings and put them on a piece of glass. If they don't lie flat-that's your problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I've had a bent chainring before. This is likely your problem as the teeth will pry apart the plates on the chain.
    Take off your chain rings and put them on a piece of glass. If they don't lie flat-that's your problem.
    No chain ring is perfect really, I'm just wondering how bad is too bad. There's definitely not enough variation to stress out the chain here, I think... But the way the rings will grind oppositely really makes me think it's the spindle or something anyway. I wish I could ignore this stuff...

mtbr member
    Still waiting on my Medium Nigh train deep purple.
    That red looks awesome!
    Lets see more pictures of your new bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Med silver nighttrain bullet.2 days past my date of shipment window.. very.annoyed
    Yes, thank you. Me too. I emailed hoping for some update.

I am scratching my head as to why there are so many issues with the gearing and chainlines? 22/36 in the front with that big 11-36 cluster is a perfect range. I guess this is a mental by-product of the 1x thing where people have to fret about that one lonely chainring out front cause if they screw it up they might be pushing. back in the day of triples you would only worry about chainrings if one was worn.

Three of my bikes are 9-speed with 11-34 cassettes and all are 2x up front with one being 24/36, one being 22/32, and one being 28/40 (goofy FSA 2x crank) with the first two running triple cranks without the outer chainring and no bash. I have zero complains with gearing or chainline on any of them and they often get used on the same trails. I love granny since it is steel in most cases so it never wears and gets me to use more of the gears on the cluster to keep the wear relatively even. But I live in the northeast and if I don't clean a technical uphill I turn around and try it again no matter even if I am riding the big travel bike.

The gearing seems great out-of-the-box to me unless the chainrings are both steel. In which case I would swap out the large ring for alu.

MTBR seems to be a fickle bunch that enjoys tinkering!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone get their Sturgis in orange or green? Would love to see some pix!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ...MTBR seems to be a fickle bunch that enjoys tinkering!
    Isn't it awesome? A thread all about your model of bike to help you should you want to change a part.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bwilson View Post
    Isn't it awesome? A thread all about your model of bike to help you should you want to change a part.
    I love tinkering as much as I love riding. Great thread and great resource here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Guys and Gals, I'm thinking of going 1X. I know a 30/42 chainring/cog setup is an option, but I'm wondering if I get a raceface Turbine cinch with a 26t up front whether I need to get a new bottom bracket or if just getting the cranks and the chainring will suffice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm still waiting for my 17.5" black NTB. I sent a quick email early yesterday (wed 11/12), a few hours later I heard back from Karla. The important tidbits: "supposed to be in by Friday, hopefully". "delays in the port of CA".

Hang in there! Soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Guys and Gals, I'm thinking of going 1X. I know a 30/42 chainring/cog setup is an option, but I'm wondering if I get a raceface Turbine cinch with a 26t up front whether I need to get a new bottom bracket or if just getting the cranks and the chainring will suffice?
    The RF cinch system requires a different bottom bracket. It also requires a different bottom bracket installlati on tool. And the direct mount ring requires a unique tool to install (old Isis bottom bracket tool) and not just Allen keys.

A cinch setup is costly as you need new crank, more expensive direc mount ring, unique bottom bracket, and two tools. The setup will run you about $390 at universal cycles before any discount codes. That's the cheapest I have found the setup.

A 30/42 combo is going to set you back about $110-120 online before discount codes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Bikeman.com has a combo crank+BB+ring for $269. I have a 1 by 10 setup with a 26t up front(self proclaimed wuss) with my other bike and I love it. If I could spend a little more(well ok double) and not have to worry about the potential shifting compromises if a giant cog....well... It's tempting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes, thank you. Me too. I emailed hoping for some update.

I am scratching my head as to why there are so many issues with the gearing and chainlines? 22/36 in the front with that big 11-36 cluster is a perfect range. I guess this is a mental by-product of the 1x thing where people have to fret about that one lonely chainring out front cause if they screw it up they might be pushing. back in the day of triples you would only worry about chainrings if one was worn.

Three of my bikes are 9-speed with 11-34 cassettes and all are 2x up front with one being 24/36, one being 22/32, and one being 28/40 (goofy FSA 2x crank) with the first two running triple cranks without the outer chainring and no bash. I have zero complains with gearing or chainline on any of them and they often get used on the same trails. I love granny since it is steel in most cases so it never wears and gets me to use more of the gears on the cluster to keep the wear relatively even. But I live in the northeast and if I don't clean a technical uphill I turn around and try it again no matter even if I am riding the big travel bike.

The gearing seems great out-of-the-box to me unless the chainrings are both steel. In which case I would swap out the large ring for alu.

MTBR seems to be a fickle bunch that enjoys tinkering!

Being careful not to assume that my opinion is the same as other people's - have you ridden the NTB with the 36/22? I'm a capable biker, and on my 29er i ride a bash/32/22 9 speed (11-32) and RARELY go into the 32/32 that would be my easiest combo without dropping into the granny. I'm usually a few gears up from that and even then can handle all the hills that my trails throw at me.

However, with the NTB 36/36 combo (easiest without using granny), some of those hills have become brutal climbs suddenly. Yeah, it could be many factors. The NTB is definitely heavier than my Kona hardtail. The fat bike tires, especially at lower pressures, are harder to get going. Could also be using a pedaling style that doesn't apply to fatbiking - need to learn.

All I know is I was not able to find a combination of gears that allowed me to find that "comfy spot" that i know so well. 36/36 was way too hard at times and the granny switch was way too easy at times.

I personally feel that a 2x 32/22 would have been the perfect setup for this bike. 36 isn't needed as most people wouldn't ride this bike at speeds that require a big 36.

So thats really where the chainring switch talk comes from. If you have ridden it and find its perfect, well, maybe I just need time as well. But if you haven't, see if the 36 is as cool as you feel it would be. On paper it sounds good, but fatbikes are a totally different thing I'm seeing. Fun as hell, but definitely an adjustment!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A
    Thanks for the reply. Bikeman.com has a combo crank+BB+ring for $269. I have a 1 by 10 setup with a 26t up front(self proclaimed wuss) with my other bike and I love it. If I could spend a little more(well ok double) and not have to worry about the potential shifting compromises if a giant cog....well... It's tempting.
    That's a good price. Thanks. About $20 less than universal after their 15% off coupon. Keep in mind you still need the special $30 tool for the bb and the Isis bb tool to mount the chainring.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Based on all notes, and similar thoughts, I'm planning on a 32. Relatively simple switch for 2x? I would have thought so until reading all other concerns. Thought there'd be a 32 option as a matter of course, no?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Just came back from an early morning maiden voyage on my NTB. All I can say is WOW. What a bike. 28 degrees with flurries and this thing just rips. Lots of fun and fully capable. Even though I'm coming from a pretty good hand built steel Kona Honzo, I still felt the quality of this bike.

The bluto does wonders for the bike and I don't feel my body being beat up like I did on my previous Charge Cooker Maxi that I rode last winter.

However, I'm not too impressed with the SRAM shifter and rear derailleur. It did not seem to switch gears as quickly and effortlessly as my XT setup on my Honzo. I am going to try some adjustments to see if I can get it to change gears better. These new guide brakes are legit. They seemed to work as well as my XT brakes, if not better, on a heavier bike.

With respect to the gearing, I can see why some of you would like to go 1X. I was in the larger chainring in the front for the full 10 miles without ever coming close to needing to switch into the smaller chainring. I guess that would depend on your terrain however.

All in all, I am super happy with this bike. If you are on the fence about getting one, do NOT hesitate. You will be extremely happy with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Listen!

That's a good point about just riding as I haven't even done that. I guess I was just thinking about how much I like the 1X simplicity of my other bike and since I'm probably going to do it at some point, I might as well do it now so I could sell the parts as New. Maybe I would get a couple of extra dollars. If course one could argue if I'm concerned about a few dollars why not just go 30/42. What can I say? I'm a walking contradiction.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    However, I'm not too impressed with the SRAM shifter and rear derailleur. It did not seem to switch gears as quickly and effortlessly as my XT setup on my Honzo.
    Haven't used an XT shifter/derailluer setup, but have a 2x10 X7 setup on my 29er and have been very happy with it. My bet is if you make a few adjustments you'll end up liking it.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    OK so my RaceFace 32 tooth chainring went on without any issue. :-) Shifts just fine still on the bike stand. The bash guard will not fit (I didn't think it would without milling of the SAMOX crank spider).

Next time I hit the trails I will decide if it really helps or is just meh - if it is the latter I will put the 36 back on and learn to live with it. Not that it was bad, I was just thinking when riding it could be better. For singletrack where I live with the 32 up front I don't think I will need the granny gear up front unless there is snow/mud whatever. :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I ordered my NIght Train Bullet last night, with a Jan 30 to Feb ?? delivery and I can't wait.

I am so stoked to ride the mud/snow/ and sand all year long. I already have a Reveb ready to put on it, but are their any other upgrades that people could recommend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    OK so my RaceFace 32 tooth chainring went on without any issue. :-) Shifts just fine still on the bike stand. The bash guard will not fit (I didn't think it would without milling of the SAMOX crank spider).

Next time I hit the trails I will decide if it really helps or is just meh - if it is the latter I will put the 36 back on and learn to live with it. Not that it was bad, I was just thinking when riding it could be better. For singletrack where I live with the 32 up front I don't think I will need the granny gear up front unless there is snow/mud whatever. :-)
    Were you able to put it on without taking off the crank? (I was able to switch a ring like this on another bike).

Which 32t raceface ring do you have that worked?

Thanks for following up - very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You should be able to remove the 36t and install the 32t without removing the crank arms. If you want to relive the 22t, you will need to relive the cranks as it will not clear the spider to slip off overt he crank arms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I did remove the cranks - I wan't sure if I would be able to get the 36 off or the 32 on AND I never pulled them before. Wanted to check them out. Came out nice and easy - added a thin layer of grease to the races and the spindle to crank arm interface. They were completely dry.
    No chance to hop on and even go for a short cruise last night.
    The chainring I had I believe it is this one-
    http://www.amazon.com/Race-Turbine-C...=race+face+32T

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I did remove the cranks - I wan't sure if I would be able to get the 36 off or the 32 on AND I never pulled them before. Wanted to check them out. Came out nice and easy - added a thin layer of grease to the races and the spindle to crank arm interface. They were completely dry.
    No chance to hop on and even go for a short cruise last night.
    The chainring I had I believe it is this one-
    http://www.amazon.com/Race-Turbine-C...=race+face+32T
    Thanks again for all the info and work - I bought a Truvativ one to check out and if it doesn't fit, I will use your RF example. Make sure to keep us update on the meh ride or sawwwwweeeet result of going to a 32 from the 36.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Dropped tire pressure to 8psi front and 9psi rear. Definitely feels smoother and grippier, but now I feel the self-steer. Combined with the increased pedaling effort, it has its downsides, but I'll keep it at this new pressure for dirt.

EDIT I made two videos of my chainring/crank unevenness. Listen...
    Inner ring rubbing on inside of cage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG08EMeNrmk
    Outer ring rubbing on outside of cage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjLK-gKZgmI

I know this isn't realistic... that isn't the point. I'm using the chain to help visualize/demonstrate the crookedness that is difficult to see or show on camera. I purposely got the chain to barely clear the cage, so that at the point of crookedness, the chain would touch.

See how they scrape inner/outer at opposite pedal positions? That makes me think it's the crank or spindle (imagine the shape in your head), unless it's coincidence.

I would say overall it is about or less than 1mm of left-to-right variation. Is this acceptable/normal for cheap cranks? The cranks on my other bikes cost more and I don't think it is as bad on them. <1mm doesn't sound like much, but the chainrings are very tiny... scale that up to an untrue rim, and the variation would be huge.

Or maybe I'm just worrying WAAAAY too much.

Reminder again: I would never ride the bike in this configuration. The chain doesn't drag in the cage like this when I ride. It's for demonstration purposes.
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 11-13-2014 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Just got back from another ride - a few things changed and were noted this time:

1) I put the tires back up to 10psi from the 8 they were - was easier to pedal for sure - less sluggish and didn't affect the ride from my perspective otherwise

2) I think compared to my 29er 20 inch, this 21 inch bike is higher off the ground and puts my legs in a more bent shape, which makes the quads burn. Thats been the big problem so far - just legs getting the **** kicked out of them like never before. Will have to re-examine the height of the seat.

3) Also noticed that the bud/lou combo i have on it are grippy as f*ck and probably don't help my entire tired legs problem either. I'm sure they will kick ass in the winter, but on this terrain they are overkill and slower. I found a guy selling a bunch of Husker Dus for $45 (new but 27tpi) on ebay - he still has some if anyone wants them. They will most likely be my trail tires. But man, the bud does NOT budge on corners and pretty much inspires huge confidence to turn as sharp as you like.

I still can see the need for the 32T ring over the 36T though and will most likely go ahead with it. It will come in handy for even steeper stuff eventually and give gear options I don't have now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I put the tires back up to 10psi from the 8 they were - was easier to pedal for sure - less sluggish and didn't affect the ride from my perspective otherwise

3) Also noticed that the bud/lou combo i have on it are grippy as f*ck
    I'm heading out tonight on my first ride on the NightTrain with Bud, Lou, & Bluto. Can't wait!

This is my first fat bike. I weigh 165 and based on what I've read here I am going to run Bud & Lou at 10 psi and Bluto at 105 psi to start.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm heading out tonight on my first ride on the NightTrain with Bud, Lou, & Bluto. Can't wait!

This is my first fat bike. I weigh 165 and based on what I've read here I am going to run Bud & Lou at 10 psi and Bluto at 105 psi to start.
    I'd say thats a good place to start.

If it means anything, i originally had my bluto psi at 110 and lowered it to 90 during the ride because i wasn't using much of the travel. I weight 225, so I'd go even lower if i was you, maybe 75. Pull the little red ring down to the bottom and see how high it gets on the stanchion and you'll know if you need more or less air.

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Maiden voyage - everything is good so far. Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415913748.669357.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I deleted the content as its the same as in the next post by silvbullit

mtbr member
    To all those still anxiously awaiting their bike although I feel like I am the only one left without my bike but I will post this anyway. Hopefully I am only a few days away from riding a fatty!

From the BD Facebook page:
    "Attention Sturgis and Night Train customers:

The transportation company just told us that the container for the remaining bikes will be released from the railhead today at 5pm central time.

We're hiring a trucker to pull the container to our warehouse as soon as they're allowed to pick it up.
    Unless something unexpected happens, we should be shipping these remaining
    Sturgis and Night Train fat bikes from the first batch tomorrow.
    Be aware, anything can always happen. For example, last week, a truck with a container being delivered to our Jacksonville warehouse broke down on the way. They couldn't get it to us, and had to pull it to us the next day.

Until the truck backs up at our docks, it's out of our control.

But don't fret! We're doing everything we can to get these to your door as soon as physically possible!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    To all those still anxiously awaiting their bike although I feel like I am the only one left without my bike but I will post this anyway. Hopefully I am only a few days away from riding a fatty!

From the BD Facebook page:
    "Attention Sturgis and Night Train customers:

The transportation company just told us that the container for the remaining bikes will be released from the railhead today at 5pm central time.

We're hiring a trucker to pull the container to our warehouse as soon as they're allowed to pick it up.
    Unless something unexpected happens, we should be shipping these remaining
    Sturgis and Night Train fat bikes from the first batch tomorrow.
    Be aware, anything can always happen. For example, last week, a truck with a container being delivered to our Jacksonville warehouse broke down on the way. They couldn't get it to us, and had to pull it to us the next day.

Until the truck backs up at our docks, it's out of our control.

But don't fret! We're doing everything we can to get these to your door as soon as physically possible!"

As a positive comment on your waiting, from someone who was lucky to get one in the first batch, you will LOVE your bike. I can firmly say that it would have totally sucked to wait longer than I did, but it still would have been worth it. When you pull open that box and pull out your bike, you will forget all about the anxious crap UPS refresh button pushes you've gone through the last week!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Any of you first round Bullet recipients clydesdales? I'm 220 with an XL coming (in theory) and wondering where a good place to start for fork and tire pressures. sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it. Not sure the lighter folks pressures are applicable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gurleyman View Post
    Any of you first round Bullet recipients clydesdales? I'm 220 with an XL coming (in theory) and wondering where a good place to start for fork and tire pressures. sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it. Not sure the lighter folks pressures are applicable.
    I'm 6'5" 225lbs and on the XL - have the tires at 10psi front and back and the bluto at 90psi.

Took my gauges and shock pump with me and experimented during two long rides and ended up with these values. Seem to be pretty solid for now.

Live Free & Ride
    Tracking status: Arrived in Chelmsford, MA at 3pm today! Should have my NTB tomorrow if all goes well! : )

Update: 1-2 inches of snow expected overnight tonight!!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm 6'5" 225lbs and on the XL - have the tires at 10psi front and back and the bluto at 90psi.

Took my gauges and shock pump with me and experimented during two long rides and ended up with these values. Seem to be pretty solid for now.
    Thanks fripp, that's good to know. I'm starting to feel like I owe you a beer now...

mtbr member
    Yup I definitely wore out the refresh button of my browser waiting on this thing. I will be so excited if I see a tracking number tomorrow.

We are getting the same storm you are getting and the best forecast calls for 1-3" of snow here too! I am in Portland, Maine area so not far from ya NH.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone weighed their stock BD alloy handlebar? I've got a cheap $80 wider carbon bar(220 grams) on the way and wondering how many grams I will save over the stock?

Stock bar
    Handlebar ALLOY 6061 RISE H/BAR ( 9° ) B/CENTER: 31.8mm.R/W:20/700mm. S.B BLK

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks fripp, that's good to know. I'm starting to feel like I owe you a beer now...
    IPA 8% abv or higher is my drink!

Have fun out there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

220 geared up on a medium. I pumped to about 125 psi on the fork, but needed to let some air out as it felt a bit stiff. I will try 105. Pumped wheels to about 12 or 13 for my first ride. Those felt good and I wasn't being tossed around like some other folks. I will try some other variations the next time I ride.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    Anyone weighed their stock BD alloy handlebar? I've got a cheap $80 wider carbon bar(220 grams) on the way and wondering how many grams I will save over the stock?

Stock bar
    HandlebarALLOY 6061 RISE H/BAR ( 9° ) B/CENTER: 31.8mm.R/W:20/700mm. S.B BLK
    the stock bar is 393g

mtbr member
    has anyone upgraded the crank yet? To say a 100mm crank running 1x? does it clear and work ok? and what crank did you use?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer View Post
    the stock bar is 393g
    Holy cow. That is heavy!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What does the stock seatpost weigh? If I had my bike I could check but it's still in customs

mtbr member

has anyone upgraded the crank yet? To say a 100mm crank running 1x? does it clear and work ok? and what crank did you use?
    Threw on a X9 crank that I had on my pugsley, mainly to make use of a single direct mount chainring. It works fine, although you need a direct mount ring for a bb30 and not a gxp to get the correct chainline. It won't work as a 2x crank. The arms clear the chain stays as well, but not by much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What does the stock seatpost weigh? If I had my bike I could check but it's still in customs
    I took off the seat and seatpost together and they weighed 767 grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just bought a raceface turbine cinch with a direct mount 26t. both the bike and the crank should hopefully come in next week. My plan is to install it before I go for the first ride so I'll let you know how it goes. Once I went 1X on my other bike, I had a hard time wrapping my brain around 2 shifters!

mtbr member
    'The transportation company just told us that the container for the remaining bikes will be released from the railhead today at 5pm central time.
    We're hiring a trucker to pull the container to our warehouse as soon as they're allowed to pick it up.'

Woohoo! I'm ready! now I just need some free time and a little snow out west!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    sorry for the trouble, this is the last request I promise. What does the stock stem weight? Obviously it is 10mm longer for each larger size of bike.

I just returned home from a business trip and found my new Race Face stem and forgot that I had ordered it.

I've already ordered $306 in upgrades for my bike that I don't have yet. In short, when my 17.5" Red Sturgis Bullet arrives sometime in the next future, I'm going to build it with:

Bars - replace stock bars with 3T Extendo Team Carbon 740mm bars ($80) - 220g, Net change- 173 grams dropped

Seatpost and seat - stock 767g - replace with Specialized Command Post Blacklite ($175) 543g + Specialized Henge Comp 252g ($20) - Net change +28g. Both bought used locally.

Stem 100mm - ???? - replace with Race Face Ride 70mm 140g ($26) - Net change ?????

Live Free & Ride
    The stars have finally aligned. It is snowing here in Dover, NH and my NTB arrived this morning at 3am at the UPS terminal for delivery today! Should be ready for some light snow riding later today....YES!!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am pushing clyde territory at 240# @ 6'3". I am running 135# in the Bluto - I don't have my fork too soft, but if I have small bump compliance I was burning through all the travel too quickly. 12PSI up front and 10PSI rear - but those may not be 100% accurate as I do not have a proper low PSI gauge yet (should be here any day).

I have some tokens ordered for the fork - the 120mm only has one token, with a couple more tokens I should be able to let some air out and not eat up all the travel on medium hits. At 135PSI I am using 75%+ of my travel on fairly mild XC rides with only a couple log crossings and 12" drops off roots. I want more progressive compression but softer at the start of travel...

siv
    mtbr member
    Seat is 386 and post is 376, no sure about stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My frame bag fits the XL Sturgis well, even has room to still fit a water bottle in the downtube location, although it does bunch up the bag a bit.

Amazon.com : Ibera Bicycle Triangle Frame Bag : Sports & Outdoors

Not a bad bag for the price - has two pockets and a smaller interior zipper pouch for keys N such. :-)

mtbr member
    has anyone weight the stock 2x samox crankset? Contemplating replacing with a turbine..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    has anyone weight the stock 2x samox crankset? Contemplating replacing with a turbine..
    I pulled mine out when I did the 32T chainring swap the other day. They are a bit heavier than the RF Ride fat bike cranks I have sitting in a box. The RF are 170mm spaced or I would have been tempted to throw them in and order the turbines for my Bucksaw. Gotta resist spending more money on fat bikes!!! :-)
    They do not feel overly heavy like the seat post though - the bars were fairly heavy too... I am sure you will save some weight but they are not complete boat anchors. :-) Some day I will get a scale...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

The truvativ trushift 32 also went on mine without any problems. Shifting is perfect and after messing around on it, I really think the 32 is going to help out a lot with steeper stuff, and maybe in the snow.

If you are someone that grannies it up a lot already, don't worry about swapping out the 36 for the 32 - but if you are used to a 32 on another bike and got the NTB with a 36 and it seems tougher on steep climbs, then maybe this is for you

mtbr member

Got the Surlyl ICT rigid fork installed on my Sturgis Bullet today.
    Parts needed: Reducing crown race adapter from FSA, 180mm IS brake adapter and a new star nut for the steerer.

Everything went together well, going for a ride this afternoon to see how it handles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Parts needed: Reducing crown race adapter from FSA, 180mm IS brake adapter and a new star nut for the steerer.

Everything went together well, going for a ride this afternoon to see how it handles.
    Good to know! I have yet to decide what I am going to do with my Sturgis Bullet once my Bucksaw frame arrives - get a rigid fork alloy ICT fork, a carbon fork (if someone makes one in 150mm TA by then) or just buy a second Bluto...

Leaning towards the ICT fork right now as a cheap and effective option, although I will admit I am really digging this bike with the Bluto.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=Destr0;11577405]Good to know! I have yet to decide what I am going to do with my Sturgis Bullet once my Bucksaw frame arrives

Might have missed it... you post a picture?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    [QUOTE=wildskycomet;11577470]
    Good to know! I have yet to decide what I am going to do with my Sturgis Bullet once my Bucksaw frame arrives

Might have missed it... you post a picture?
    Picture of what? I posted several pictures of my Sturgis (mine was one of the first to land) - the Bucksaw frameset has not gotten here yet, I actually am in the second batch and my frame is supposed to be here in December/January (good thing too, paying for it with my X-mas bonus). The first batch was scheduled for Late October early November and are just coming in now so I expect January delivery. I have a photo hack of the color scheme I am working on for my Bucksaw - it was posted a couple pages back. I can list a parts spec too if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I pulled mine out when I did the 32T chainring swap the other day. They are a bit heavier than the RF Ride fat bike cranks I have sitting in a box. The RF are 170mm spaced or I would have been tempted to throw them in and order the turbines for my Bucksaw. Gotta resist spending more money on fat bikes!!! :-)
    They do not feel overly heavy like the seat post though - the bars were fairly heavy too... I am sure you will save some weight but they are not complete boat anchors. :-) Some day I will get a scale...
    Your fat addicted!

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Sturgis. I thought you had or miht have, but couldn't find it. Buddy waiting for his.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OK. Time for my fellow non-bullet owners (..to be?) to play a game. Count how many times you hit refresh on the UPS tacking page today and post up the tally tonight. I would say we should make this a drinking game, but that would make my liver hurt.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    OK. Time for my fellow non-bullet owners (..to be?) to play a game. Count how many times you hit refresh on the UPS tacking page today and post up the tally tonight. I would say we should make this a drinking game, but that would make my liver hurt.
    Pretty sure I've already exceeded an unsafe number...
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The truvativ trushift 32 also went on mine without any problems. Shifting is perfect and after messing around on it, I really think the 32 is going to help out a lot with steeper stuff, and maybe in the snow.

If you are someone that grannies it up a lot already, don't worry about swapping out the 36 for the 32 - but if you are used to a 32 on another bike and got the NTB with a 36 and it seems tougher on steep climbs, then maybe this is for you
    Great...glad it worked for ya...thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    well...my UPS number still has no movement....frustrating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Good news: The 10,523rd refresh of my UPS tracking number FINALLY reported that my 17.5" Black NTB has been picked up by UPS. Estimated delivery to Northern NJ is Wednesday by the end of the day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wooohoooo!!!! Thursday scheduled delivery for my 19" Purple NT!!

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Jealous... There'll be a couple fatties on tomorrow's epic. They are just going to eat up some of those tougher sections

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My 17.5" NT purple just showed movement now too. Thursday to Niagara Falls. Then drive over the border on Friday tonpick it up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Shipping Shipping!!
    NT Bullet, black, med. will be coming home by way of big brown next Weds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My bike showed no movement 30 min ago, but I just checked again and its on its way!! Delivery on Thurs

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just received a black NTB bullet size small. Will update you guys throughout the evening

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    well...my UPS number still has no movement....frustrating.
    My order just went active, delivery Wednesday. I knew that complaining about it repeatedly would make something happen

mtbr member

Curious...why did you drop the BLUTO? Pics please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am pushing clyde territory at 240# @ 6'3". I am running 135# in the Bluto - I don't have my fork too soft, but if I have small bump compliance I was burning through all the travel too quickly. 12PSI up front and 10PSI rear - but those may not be 100% accurate as I do not have a proper low PSI gauge yet (should be here any day).

I have some tokens ordered for the fork - the 120mm only has one token, with a couple more tokens I should be able to let some air out and not eat up all the travel on medium hits. At 135PSI I am using 75%+ of my travel on fairly mild XC rides with only a couple log crossings and 12" drops off roots. I want more progressive compression but softer at the start of travel...
    Good info, thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My shipment went active as well. Will have during the AM on Monday....

Live Free & Ride
    Well took delivery today on my silver NTB! One of the first things I noticed was a bent dérailleur hanger, I mean the X9 was into the spokes. Removed it, the wheel and took the hanger over to the vice along with a crescent wrench. Got it about 1/2 way to straight and heard the dreaded CRACK!...Arggggh. Immediately called BD and luckily they had em and will be shipping. In the meantime I have all my parts installed and the bike is sweet...just not rideable! : (.
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Mine shows shipping! Yeah!! Purple Night Train 17.5". I asked for an upgrade to Bluto so I wonder what's on the way. They showed that they were out when I ordered it and sent an email requesting the Bluto.
    Now it will be like Christmas because I won't know what I'm getting till I open it up!
    I've got takeoffs from other bikes which I'll put on to lighten things up a bit and will then go Tubeless after a few rides. They include a seat, post and bars and plan on changing the stem to a 58MM.
    Will I hurt the snow tires riding on trails till I pull the trigger on tires?
    Just curious how much abuse they can take.
    Congratulations to evreyone's that are on the truck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    In the meantime I have all my parts installed and the bike is sweet...just not rideable! : (.
    That's rough. Did they happen to mention what number hanger it takes? Seems to be lots of people in your situation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Curious...why did you drop the BLUTO? Pics please.
    Dropped the bluto for winter use. No need for it in the snow where I ride. I'll put the bluto back on in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

double post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Size small black night train bullet weighs 35.14 pounds.
    This is sans pedals, reflectors, dork disc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    By the way. The hub end caps everyone is freaking out about snap onto the hub. They don't come off easily so taking my wheels off/ on/off/on/etc hasn't been any different than a normal bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

How does the sizing look on the small NTB?

Curious as to what the sizing/geometry looks like on the 15.5" NTB. Pictures possible? Great to see these finally coming in!

By the way. The hub end caps everyone is freaking out about snap onto the hub. They don't come off easily so taking my wheels off/ on/off/on/etc hasn't been any different than a normal bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Higgins17 View Post
    Curious as to what the sizing/geometry looks like on the 15.5" NTB. Pictures possible? Great to see these finally coming in!
    I'm going to post photos tomorrow at some point

mtbr member
    ABout to pull the trigger. We just got our first decent snowfall. I think a Sturgis Bullet in small for me. Will there be alot less standover room on the Surgis than the small Lurch? I have a short 29" inseam, this is why I ask.

Also, were you able to get the ridgid fork included with the Bluto equipped bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sturgis Bullet due in Thursday I will post pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    my weight loss

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    How do those qtube 2.4-2.7 hold up before you went split tube and then tubeless? I'd like to get some weight savings in the wheels by getting lighter tubes but I can't believe the qtubes would hold up with my bud and Lou as they are huge. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 13eard View Post
    my weight loss

That's a great table that we can all use to know what weight savings can occur and where. Except for maybe going to 1X, I now know what weight i'll shave as I'm going to swap out many of the same parts.
    Hopefully I can swing by my LBS to put it on a hook out of the box for a starting weight and then i'll start swapping things out.
    Thanks for the chart 13eard!
    +1 on the Superlite reliability question. I may not go tubeless immediately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Pumpkin, size medium

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrain-bullet-002-1024x768-.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-nighttrain-bullet-003-1024x768-.jpg

I swapped out; the handlebar and saved 7oz, the seat post saved 4oz, removed the rim strips (11oz) and replaced with 2 wraps of duct tape. Q-Tubes Super Light tubes saved another 27oz. Then I gained weight by putting on Bud & Lou, Fyxation pedals, and a water bottle cage.

Total weight via bathroom scale 33lbs

Total ride happiness... un-measurable!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How do those qtube 2.4-2.7 hold up <snip> I can't believe the qtubes would hold up with my bud and Lou as they are huge. Thoughts?
    I put Q-tube Super Light's in my Bud & Lou's. Both tubes failed, split at the seam. I'm now trying Bontrager 2.5 / 2.8 regular tubes. They weigh 2.5oz more per tube but I'm hoping they are more durable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I put Q-tube Super Light's in my Bud & Lou's. Both tubes failed, split at the seam. I'm now trying Bontrager 2.5 / 2.8 regular tubes. They weigh 2.5oz more per tube but I'm hoping they are more durable.
    Let us know how those work. I figured the SL would split. Those bud and Lou's are just too big!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I changed the usual suspects: seat post, saddle,stem&Bar/grips. Purely a personal preference. I have been riding it everywhere that I ride my other mt. Bikes, but I am looking forward to the snow more than I had in the past! As far as ship date, I ordered the bike in early Sept. & their E-mail confirmation said that it was expected to be in their warehouse in Texas between Oct.28&Nov.10. I got a notice that it shipped to me 11/5 & tracked on UPS site to be delivered on Mon 11/11. It was!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone have an opinion in these Michelin DH tubes? Supposed to be tough and 388 g compared to the stock bee tubes. Anyone know what vee tubes weigh? I had read 450 but must be more...

Michelin Aircomp Competition Downhill Racing 26 x 2.2-

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    450 grams is approx 16oz. My stock tubes weighed in at 21.5 oz, my spare tube is a SunLite 4.0 (vee rubber) and is 16oz

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Figured what I read was wrong. So more like 610 grams. Easy to drop weight if you can find tubes that work with big tires. Anyone have a tube that always has worked with their 4.8 inch tires with no split seams etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can anyone recommend a frame bag that will fit a Sturgis/Nightrain in size M 17.5"?

mtbr member
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-mb-ntb.jpg

Mah new baby. Gotta run out for a bit but wanted to post a pic and a quick summary.

Super nice bike. Need a different stem to take some spacers out and might switch bars to my Salsa Bend Bars.

FYI...I didn't purposely match the color scheme. Just had the parts around. I originally ordered a 15.5" Matte Black.

Standover is MINIMAL for my 29" inseam but once on the bike the reach etc feels perfect.

Everything went together pretty easily. Needs a bit more dialing in but good enough for a test ride around the block. Might be able to hit some dirt tomorrow.

EDIT: I was not able to get my Jones H-bar on the bike as there wasn't enough brake cable to not have a too severe angle for the brake levers.
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 11-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.

mtbr member

NT Bullet 19" Ready for action

All lubed and ready to go. Went together OK. Set brake discs to correct torque. Only upgrade is Brooke's black saddle. Added XPEDO XMX24MC MTB Pedals and completed with Porta Pack. Quick ride to make sure comfortable fit. Need a few more tweaks but will refine on trail tomorrow.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpg

Wahoooooooo!
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

siv
    mtbr member
    Just got some q-tube 2.4-2.75 non SL, see how they work with the stock tires. They also make an EXTREME version which has 1.3mm thickness that weighs about 380g. Also, my seatpost broke today while changing seats. What a POS, Id recommend replacing that ASAP, I'm still gonna ask for a new one though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    Just got some q-tube 2.4-2.75 non SL, see how they work with the stock tires. They also make an EXTREME version which has 1.3mm thickness that weighs about 380g. Also, my seatpost broke today while changing seats. What a POS, Id recommend replacing that ASAP, I'm still gonna ask for a new one though.
    My drive side crank threads gave way on me today. Been in two ride but this one was just in my backyard. Was messing around trying to wheelie and the pedal just came out. Can see the threads were all coming apart, little rings of metal falling off. Wtf. Pedal was put on super tight with a pedal wrench and this crap shouldn't happen. Cheap ass samox pos crank!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My drive side crank threads gave way on me today. Been in two ride but this one was just in my backyard. Was messing around trying to wheelie and the pedal just came out. Can see the threads were all coming apart, little rings of metal falling off. Wtf. Pedal was put on super tight with a pedal wrench and this crap shouldn't happen. Cheap ass samox pos crank!
    so here is another question - who has successfully replaced their crank with no issues and what did you use? What are ALL the parts you need to do this for the ntb?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    W
    Pedal was put on super tight with a pedal wrench and this crap shouldn't happen.
    This is probably the problem. These Samox cranks don't have a steel pedal thread insert. Proper torque is critical. "Super tight" = stripped threads.

you may be able to helicoil to fix. Not sure how BD is going to respond since improper torque isn't generally a warrantable damage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Actually I just meant super tight so people didnt think they were loose to start with. I didnt overtightened at all - I know better. They were good for 2 six mile rides before this happened too.

Live Free & Ride
    Can anyone recommend a frame bag that will fit a Sturgis/Nightrain in size M 17.5"?
    Try a search for Jandd frame pack large...looks good!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Anyone have an issue with the SRAM rear shifter? For some reason, when I shift into a larger cog, the paddle doesn't return to its original position and seems loose. After a few seconds or when I push it back into its original position, it returns to normal only to exhibit the same problem when I shift again. Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Anyone have an issue with the SRAM rear shifter? For some reason, when I shift into a larger cog, the paddle doesn't return to its original position and seems loose. After a few seconds or when I push it back into its original position, it returns to normal only to exhibit the same problem when I shift again. Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?
    Noticed that very seldom but thought its from cold. I'll keep it in mind when I ride tmw.

mtbr member

so here is another question - who has successfully replaced their crank with no issues and what did you use? What are ALL the parts you need to do this for the ntb?
    I replaced my crank with a SRAM X9 fat bike crank. You'll need to use the GXP BB that comes with the crank. One caveat with this crank is that you won't be able to run 2x in the front, only 1x.

Tools needed would be a few sizes of allen wrenches and a bottom bracket tool to remove the stock bb and add the new one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Ready for our 1st snow in the Cincy area!

White sturgis with a little red trim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Noticed that very seldom but thought its from cold. I'll keep it in mind when I ride tmw.
    It happens often for me and it happens even while my bike is inside while I work on it so I don't think the cold has anything to do with it. Please pay attention to it while you ride. I might send an email to BD to see if they have any ideas.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I replaced my crank with a SRAM X9 fat bike crank. You'll need to use the GXP BB that comes with the crank. One caveat with this crank is that you won't be able to run 2x in the front, only 1x.

Tools needed would be a few sizes of allen wrenches and a bottom bracket tool to remove the stock bb and add the new one.

I ended up grabbing the Raceface Turbine Fatbike crank for 190mm rear spacing. Comes with the BB and spacers and everything you need. Not sure I trust this Samox one anymore, although could have been a fluke I suppose. Up until the pedal came flying off when I mashed it pretty hard, I had no issues with the crank it came with and wasn't going to replace it.

Not sure what BD will do - send me another crank, reimburse me somehow for a portion of my new one etc...

Anyone who has taken off the Samox know if the drive side are is replaceable, or do you have to replace the whole crank to get a new drive arm?

Thanks

mtbr member

Damn, I love this bike. I swapped to a 4.0 Nate up front and what a difference it makes. Totally linear steering. I had to step out of my first turn after swapping, having semi adjusted to the pull of the snowshoe.

I took it I out to the jump spot today to hit some tables and gaps. With this tire combo, and a short stem/wide bars, I had no trouble clearing the jumps, and love the stability and forgiveness of the fat tires. I might like jumping it better than my AM hardtail.

One of the reviews mentioned being able to ride up stairs, so I tried it today, and I'll be darned if it didn't work. Now, there is a limit in how steep/tall you can go, but within reason... Nice little wrinkle to add to urban rides.

I've got a friend looking to buy one now, too. The more, the merrier, I say.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by livewr06 View Post
    Mine shows shipping! Yeah!! Purple Night Train 17.5". I asked for an upgrade to Bluto so I wonder what's on the way. They showed that they were out when I ordered it and sent an email requesting the Bluto.
    Now it will be like Christmas because I won't know what I'm getting till I open it up!
    I've got takeoffs from other bikes which I'll put on to lighten things up a bit and will then go Tubeless after a few rides. They include a seat, post and bars and plan on changing the stem to a 58MM.
    Will I hurt the snow tires riding on trails till I pull the trigger on tires?
    Just curious how much abuse they can take.
    Congratulations to evreyone's that are on the truck!
    I asked for this same deal because I love that midnight purple. They didn't even mention that it was an option, so I just ordered a white Sturgis. Let us know if your upgrade works out.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Almost forgot my photo. Set it up tubeless with caution tape rim strips. Will weigh tomorrow for weight saved over stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1416122030786.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks good. Did you have to cut down your seat post?

Almost forgot my photo. Set it up tubeless with caution tape rim strips. Will weigh tomorrow for weight saved over stock.
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hoping that its just that you are a friggin beast and can squat 600lbs and this is not something we will see allot of. I was eyeballing the RaceFace stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I ended up grabbing the Raceface Turbine Fatbike crank for 190mm rear spacing. Comes with the BB and spacers and everything you need. Not sure I trust this Samox one anymore, although could have been a fluke I suppose. Up until the pedal came flying off when I mashed it pretty hard, I had no issues with the crank it came with and wasn't going to replace it.

Not sure what BD will do - send me another crank, reimburse me somehow for a portion of my new one etc...

Anyone who has taken off the Samox know if the drive side are is replaceable, or do you have to replace the whole crank to get a new drive arm?

Thanks
    seems BD owes you a crank, will be interesting to see what they do there. Let us know how that race face works out. I was looking to replace mine....and the RF was number one on my radar

mtbr member
    Here are a few more pics of my Sturgis with ICT fork. Weighs 33.5lb as it sits.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020825.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020828.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020832.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020834.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020835.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020836.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-p1020839.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    seems BD owes you a crank, will be interesting to see what they do there. Let us know how that race face works out. I was looking to replace mine....and the RF was number one on my radar
    Yeah, Treefort Bikes has the whole RF package for 169 shipped., which looked like a decent price to me. Comes with the crank, BB, spacers etc.

And, although I'm sure I'm strong, I'm not sure if I am a beast. My XT crank on my 29er doesn't budge and i've put some serious torque on that SOB. This one just appears to have been a factory defect perhaps, or maybe just cheap.

In case anyone cares, I'm using Straitline platform flats and they were tightened the 'right' amount - this isn't the first bike I have owned. I did nothing different than any other times with other bikes. The pedal just came out is all.
    Last edited by fripp; 11-16-2014 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Treefort Bikes has the whole RF package for 169 shipped., which looked like a decent price to me. Comes with the crank, BB, spacers etc.
    Link?

EDIT: Found the link but they are backordered on the black for 190mm rear spacing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Link?

EDIT: Found the link but they are backordered on the black for 190mm rear spacing.
    Yeah I wanted the red one to spice it up a bit. I saw the same stuff on eBay for similar prices too. Search for raceface crank 190 or things like that.

Race Face Turbine CINCH Fatbike Crankarms 175mm for 190mm Rear at Tree Fort Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm currently talking to BikesDirect because my Samox crank is bent. I posted videos earlier (with no replies) but after a lot of analysis figured out it isn't just the chainrings... the spindle or something is bent bad enough to give a visible left-to-right wobble of the chainrings. It's small, but seeing as how my road bikes have a much larger ring that should show more deflection, yet don't, I think it's not acceptable for a brand new part. Just thought I would mention this because I am apparently not the only one to have issues with the cranks. Mine was either manufactured poorly or damaged in shipping, but still.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, Treefort Bikes has the whole RF package for 169 shipped., which looked like a decent price to me. Comes with the crank, BB, spacers etc..
    Sucks your having problems but this is an opportunity to FINALLY find out the weight of the Samox crankset. Would you be able / willing to post that info?

mtbr member

Samox Crank with spacers: 835g
    BB: 159g

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm currently talking to BikesDirect because my Samox crank is bent. I posted videos earlier (with no replies) but after a lot of analysis figured out it isn't just the chainrings... the spindle or something is bent bad enough to give a visible left-to-right wobble of the chainrings. It's small, but seeing as how my road bikes have a much larger ring that should show more deflection, yet don't, I think it's not acceptable for a brand new part. Just thought I would mention this because I am apparently not the only one to have issues with the cranks. Mine was either manufactured poorly or damaged in shipping, but still.
    Let us know what they say and I will do the same. I figure they will probably want to send me a new part but a reimbursement would be better since I'm dumping the samox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-10418455_10205234728415838_6803182180100961740_n.jpg

Got the Sturgis out for a 12 mile shake down ride, being close to 50,, looks like I will be shopping for a riser bar. rode it stock with flat pedals.. I was wary with all the negative talk on the tires.. I was out on my Pug with on one floaters yesterday .. same area.. and I am pleased to say, I am currently happy with these stock tires. conditions were not packed trails.. that is where the real info will be,, just had 3 inches of crisp snow. frozen and then thawing singletrack, and some shore line with baseball size rocks.. even into the water where the rocks were a bit slimy.

it's a large.. I am betting 36lbs. with replacing the liners, going with light tubes, seatpost, saddle and handlebar change you ought to be able to drop 3lbs... probably if tubeless maybe another pound...

bluto behaved well,, might need to look into those tokens...

brakes worked fine, may or may not replace.. shifting was great, I did pull the bottom bracket and greased it up, there was grease there....

will toss up link to youtube of ride if I get the chance..

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Let us know what they say and I will do the same. I figure they will probably want to send me a new part but a reimbursement would be better since I'm dumping the samox.
    I feel the same way. I'm going to wait and see what they say concerning my problem, then ask for reimbursement myself. I'd rather just pay to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by bennybullfrog View Post
    Looks good. Did you have to cut down your seat post?
    No.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ9lwGLx8bI

probably way too long of a video and it's only point of view... but it's the Sturgis Bullet romping around.. it's opening weekend of deer season in WNY.. so that is why I am sticking to a State Park with no hunting... hope to try the tires on packed trails in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Finally got to get the bike out for a few minutes today on road and dirt path near my house. Rolls pretty well.

Waiting until I get my Bud/Lou on Mulefut wheelset setup tubeless before I can get it out in some real dirt. Need to track down a compressor to inflate the tires. I tried my neighbors but it didn't have the right fitting to get air in quickly enough. The stock wheels will become a commuter set outfitted with Black Floyds.

Did find out that my rear der. hanger was bent though. Shifting was a little funky and tried dialing it out but no dice. Took a closer look from the back and it was bent. Emailed BD to see what they say.
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 11-16-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_5461-1-.jpg

Love this thing, rides better than I expected.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks really good. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? How is the fit? The geometry is right between two bikes I have. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Looks really good. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? How is the fit? The geometry is right between two bikes I have. Thanks!
    I am 5'7". I ride a 50cm road and cross bike with short stems and pretty good saddle to bar drops. Yet my MTB is a medium ibis tranny with a 110mm stem. The geometry is basically spot on for the ibis, and this is a MTB, so I went with the small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    FYI all- I'll post in tubeless Tuesday, but I did my wheels with caution tape, clear packing tape, pipe insulating foam, window/ door sealant, and cling wrap and dropped 415g from the rim strip/ tube set up. Front has been holding 7 psi 12 hours, rear has been holding 25 psi for 12 without sealant yet applied. Will update with final weight this week as I am getting lighter stem, bar, seat post, and saddle of my choosing.

mtbr member
    FYI all- I'll post in tubeless Tuesday, but I did my wheels with caution tape, clear packing tape, pipe insulating foam, window/ door sealant, and cling wrap and dropped 415g from the rim strip/ tube set up. Front has been holding 7 psi 12 hours, rear has been holding 25 psi for 12 without sealant yet applied. Will update with final weight this week as I am getting lighter stem, bar, seat post, and saddle of my choosing.
    It is like a Bob Villa and Martha Stewart orgy in your tubeless setup. I have seen the foam trick before to keep the bead in place but what is the cling wrap for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Sizing - Small vs Medium

That's comforting to know. I am also 5'7". The small is at the lower end for what I have ridden in the past and the medium is almost spot on to my current stumpjumper (which I wish was just a touch smaller). I just can't decide if I want to err toward having a larger frame and shorter stem or a shorter stem on a larger frame - especially on a fat bike. Given my local trail conditions with a decent amount of climbing, I would imagine that having a medium stem (80-100mm) would be most fun.

I rode a medium salsa mukluk yesterday and it was decent but I think it would have been slightly more fun if it were a touch smaller but there is no small to demo. I just don't want to go so small that I feel like I'm going over the handlebars on descents.

Any thoughts from the group here?

I am 5'7". I ride a 50cm road and cross bike with short stems and pretty good saddle to bar drops. Yet my MTB is a medium ibis tranny with a 110mm stem. The geometry is basically spot on for the ibis, and this is a MTB, so I went with the small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

It is like a Bob Villa and Martha Stewart orgy in your tubeless setup. I have seen the foam trick before to keep the bead in place but what is the cling wrap for?
    I know. I partially just wanted to see if I could make it work. The cling wrap is what actually seals the tire to make it air tight

mtbr member

Higgins- I went short stem on a longer frame and it still climbs like a goat. My old Pugs was short in the top tube for me. It put me over the bars too much in standing climbs, unweighting the rear wheel, and negating the fat traction advantage. YMMV, but these are long in reach compared to the Fatboy, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    That's comforting to know. I am also 5'7". The small is at the lower end for what I have ridden in the past and the medium is almost spot on to my current stumpjumper (which I wish was just a touch smaller). I just can't decide if I want to err toward having a larger frame and shorter stem or a shorter stem on a larger frame - especially on a fat bike.

Any thoughts from the group here?
    I am between 5'7" and 5"8" with a 29" inseam (short legs/long torso) and went with the 17.5". The NTB Geo matched up well with the 17" Rockhopper 29er (rigid) I was riding before. The NTB fits me well.

The standover is tight...I think due to the Bluto...but once on the bike, it fits really nice. Handling is great for the little riding I've been able to do on it. I use a 60-65mm stem, 710-720mm wide bars and matched up my contact point numbers from my Rockhopper.

I was able to do a ride this past Sept that covered 45 miles & 7000 ft of climbing without any back issues etc normally associated with fit with these numbers so I am sticking with them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    AllMountin' - thanks for that head's up. Whenever I get on my older, smaller hardtail, I get quite a twitchy feeling. Having not had a ton of fat bike experience myself, it's hard to tell whether that twitchiness would be less pronounced on a fat bike.

It's weird, because at 5'7", I am dead center for the size recommendation for a small. If only the effective top tube on the small or medium was more like 585mm.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Higgins- I went short stem on a longer frame and it still climbs like a goat. My old Pugs was short in the top tube for me. It put me over the bars too much in standing climbs, unweighting the rear wheel, and negating the fat traction advantage. YMMV, but these are long in reach compared to the Fatboy, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was just reading about your heights and sizing. I am 5'10" and ride mainly all mountain and freeride on size large Santa Cruzs. Reading their sizing chart, I ordered the 17.5. Did I make the right choice, or should I switch my order to a 19". Your help/suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well, they got back to me and told me pedal issues not covered by warranty. They offered to help me get a comparable crank for a decent price from them. I've already got one coming and told them about it. He then offered me 30 bucks reimbursement.

I guess its better than nothing and waiting longer for another crank from them would be annoying.

Everyone else, watch those pedals - hopefully my issue was a one-of.

mtbr member

Sturgis/Night Train Bullet sizing VS Lurch

Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    I was just reading about your heights and sizing. I am 5'10" and ride mainly all mountain and freeride on size large Santa Cruzs. Reading their sizing chart, I ordered the 17.5. Did I make the right choice, or should I switch my order to a 19". Your help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    For what its worth, I've been on a Medium 18" rigid Lurch for several months, riding daily. I'm 5'10.5" when not slouching, with a 31" inseam. It fits, and I've been having a blast on it, but would prefer a bigger bike. I have a fair amount of seatpost out, seat set back on rails, and an average length stem. Its super responsive, especially in tight and twisty singletrack, climbs like a goat, feels short at downhill speeds. I have a Large Strugis Bullet on order, so I'm sizing up from the Medium Lurch. Here is the Spec comparison I put together based on published BD frame specs that helped me decide to size up. I figured asking for standover height on a fatbike with a 120mm Bluto would come at too high a cost in the rest of the bike sizing.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-motofatspecs.jpg

mtbr member

FWIW, I am used to slacker AM geometry, and my setup is intended to mimic that feel. On a long front center, steeper angled bike, slamming the stem and using wide riser bars can put the bars in a similar relationship with the front axle, and with myself, to what I prefer.

I'm going to try a 40mm stem and 2" riser, but will have to see if that is too short/tall or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

EDIT: Lurch M ETT is 592.48mm.

Removed post. Lurch *IS* quoted at 592.48mm ETT.

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    For what its worth, I've been on a Medium 18" rigid Lurch for several months, riding daily. I'm 5'10.5" when not slouching, with a 31" inseam. It fits, and I've been having a blast on it, but would prefer a bigger bike. I have a fair amount of seatpost out, seat set back on rails, and an average length stem. Its super responsive, especially in tight and twisty singletrack, climbs like a goat, feels short at downhill speeds. I have a Large Strugis Bullet on order, so I'm sizing up from the Medium Lurch. Here is the Spec comparison I put together based on published BD frame specs that helped me decide to size up. I figured asking for standover height on a fatbike with a 120mm Bluto would come at too high a cost in the rest of the bike sizing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MotoFatSpecs.JPG 
Views:	1572 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	939654

Live Free & Ride
    BD on customer service....had a broken dérailleur hanger Friday, and have the new one here on Monday morning. May want to order another for a spare as they have more in stock. Now time to put together and RIDE!!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    They shipped me a new crankset to replace the bent one (I'll see if the new one is any better though, maybe they're just cheap) and reimbursed me for the broken chain and scratched seatpost. As long as there isn't more drama with the new crankset, I would have to say my BikesDirect experience has been most excellent.

Still debating light tubes vs tubeless. I'm pretty happy with ~8psi in the tires (although it induces some self-steer) and 110psi in the fork (which is pretty much exactly what the printed chart suggests).

mtbr member
    Thanks for that info Watermonkey. Just wanted to point out a pretty important typo in your spreadsheet - the Medium Lurch effective top tube is actually 582.48mm *not* 592.48mm. This could be important to someone who's a bit shorter than you wondering if they should be sized M or L.

Nice analysis though!
    Unless I'm missing something, everything published on BD for the Lurch 18" M ETT is 592.48, physical measurement center to center on my bike is really close to this, and to back that up, since this is a direct Pugs knockoff (san's symmetrical rear spacing), Surly specs have the 18" Pugs ETT @ 595.6 mm, within a few mm's. If you've seen different geometries listed somewhere, I'm curious to see them.

Additionally, for those paying attention to this, and muddling though BD's geometries, the frame geometries for the Lurch w/BLUTO do not reflect the increase in standover or changes to wheelbase with the BLUTO vs. rigid Lurch. They state in small print somewhere to add 1" to standover height, so take all their geometries with a grain of salt. They also don't make a distinction between sprung/unsprung Sturgis/NightTrain frame geometries either, where non-sag standovers are going to be significantly different.

Kind of muddled, so hope this helps someone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Watermonkey, you're right. Odd because I triple checked that the numbers were off before calling that out. I'm going to edit my post so as not to confuse anyone. Maybe I was looking at a different geometry chart...

mtbr member
    Anyone get tubes with removeable cores? Was going to throw some sealant in mine and it looks like they are non-removeable cores.

Not a big deal but now I'll have to order a set of tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Both are non removable for me. I ended up getting a specialized 26*2.3-3.0 tube and it works fine. Also half the weight of the stock tube. And around 100 grams more than the tape I put there to make tubeless

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not a fan of UPS this evening, they maintained all day that the bike would be delivered today even when it didn't show it was out for delivery....worked from home since they require a signature....didn't show...GRRRRRRR.....rant over

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

sturgis small

I'm about 5'7" and am riding a small Sturgis Bullet. I found it fits me perfect. The small is larger than I thought, anyone shorter would find it a little big. The top tube feels long but not too stretched in that size. I put a 60mm stem on there. Have just enough standover, could have used more.

As others have said, these bikes are long and slack, climb really well but have to wrestle the steering on tight trails. I'm never sure what the point of slack head angles is on anything other than downhill bikes, I'm never going fast enough on single track to see any stability advantages to make it worth losing the quick steering response.

So if you're in between sizes you could safely go for the small. You could easily leave the long stem and get a seatpost with more setback and still feel like the frame fits well.

And someone else asked about foot overlapping the front tire one the small frame - no way. I could ride with my heel on the pedal and still not hit the tire.

mtbr member
    Does anybody else's tracking info still say "picked up" rather than "in transit?" Now UPS is messing with me dammit. This bike and I are going to have bad Karma before I even ride it.

mtbr member
    Yup same here.. no changes in status since it said "picked up" on friday

mtbr member
    I too am curious in the difference in geo number between rigid and with bluto.. i cant see that it's the same axle to crown measurement which would definitely change the geo

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Mine was in picked up status until the day before it arrived. Have faith, its coming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yup same here.. no changes in status since it said "picked up" on friday
    Same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    THANK YOU! Out of curiosity, what is your inseam? I'm right around 30ish. Honestly, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I also heard that the bluto has a bit less standover than rigid so it will be nice to start with a bit more. I was worried that there would be issues with toe clearance, but it's nice to hear that you're not finding that problem. I am still a bit concerned about riding with boots, but I don't see that happening too much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzer2 View Post
    I'm about 5'7" and am riding a small Sturgis Bullet. I found it fits me perfect. The small is larger than I thought, anyone shorter would find it a little big. The top tube feels long but not too stretched in that size. I put a 60mm stem on there. Have just enough standover, could have used more.

As others have said, these bikes are long and slack, climb really well but have to wrestle the steering on tight trails. I'm never sure what the point of slack head angles is on anything other than downhill bikes, I'm never going fast enough on single track to see any stability advantages to make it worth losing the quick steering response.

So if you're in between sizes you could safely go for the small. You could easily leave the long stem and get a seatpost with more setback and still feel like the frame fits well.

And someone else asked about foot overlapping the front tire one the small frame - no way. I could ride with my heel on the pedal and still not hit the tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Same.
    I just checked my "picked-up" status from Friday (for the 100th time today). It now shows "in transit", butstill has not left Mesquite, TX. While originally, it was to be delivered on Thursday, it is now to be delivered on Friday. This is a problem for me as I had booked Friday off from work to drive across the border to pick it up. But if it doesn't arrive till some time on Friday, I'm going to have to wait around on Friday before crossing the border. This is a major inconvenience. And if it doesn't end up showing up on the Friday as per my updated tracking, then this may mean Monday! And I can't take time off next week. This has gotten me a little concerned now as I rearranged my work/vacation schedule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    I just checked my "picked-up" status from Friday (for the 100th time today). It now shows "in transit", butstill has not left Mesquite, TX. While originally, it was to be delivered on Thursday, it is now to be delivered on Friday. This is a problem for me as I had booked Friday off from work to drive across the border to pick it up. But if it doesn't arrive till some time on Friday, I'm going to have to wait around on Friday before crossing the border. This is a major inconvenience. And if it doesn't end up showing up on the Friday as per my updated tracking, then this may mean Monday! And I can't take time off next week. This has gotten me a little concerned now as I rearranged my work/vacation schedule.
    Last Friday I missed my delivery. My wife was out and the UPS guy showed up with my bike...normally a later in the day stop but he ended up making the attempt at just after noon. Was re-scheduled to Monday.

I contacted UPS and was able to pick it up directly from the hub later that night (~9pm but at least I got it). Might be worth a shot to contact UPS and see if you can pick it up from the hub if you miss the Friday delivery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm pissed! My UPS tracking number has been saying delivery Wednesday, but I just refreshed and it now says Thursday! Ordered in mid August, then it's held up in customs now UPS is screwing me! Someone is trying to teach me patience but it's not working.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm pissed! My UPS tracking number has been saying delivery Wednesday, but I just refreshed and it now says Thursday! Ordered in mid August, then it's held up in customs now UPS is screwing me! Someone is trying to teach me patience but it's not working.
    Same Boat here. But at least UPS tracking is showing it finally left Mesquite TX and is "in transit", so I know it's coming! That said, I'm sure I'm not thru being defecated on. Still to come: 1.) Fiasco getting the delivery itself (I'm sure I'll miss the UPS guy by 5 minutes, and will have to travel to the hub 5x, half hour away). 2.) Bike Damaged in transit 3.) Premature breakage of bike that the warranty doesn't cover, most likely deep in the forest requiring a LOOOONG hike out.. 4.) Riding Injury.

I'm just a beam of f*****g sunshine today, ain't I? LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Does anybody else's tracking info still say "picked up" rather than "in transit?" Now UPS is messing with me dammit. This bike and I are going to have bad Karma before I even ride it.
    They did the same to me. I was skeptical because it didn't say it was out for delivery. today it says it left TX at 4 something am, but now shows a delivery of today....which I doubt because it didn't make the delivery truck this morning. It'll be tomorrow unless they sort it before closing time today and I'm able to put a hold on it and pick it up then.

^^^ and I thought I was the only one who was hatin on UPS ...lol
    they sent me a pic of a few of the brown warehouse guys riding around on several fat bikes jumping off the docks. thankfully none of them looked like a 21" NTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Last Friday I missed my delivery. My wife was out and the UPS guy showed up with my bike...normally a later in the day stop but he ended up making the attempt at just after noon. Was re-scheduled to Monday.

I contacted UPS and was able to pick it up directly from the hub later that night (~9pm but at least I got it). Might be worth a shot to contact UPS and see if you can pick it up from the hub if you miss the Friday delivery.

Thanks for the heads-up. I called UPS and have instructed them not to put it out on a truck for delivery to the local UPS store. I will pick-up from the hub. The rep told me also that this will likely reduce further delays and that I should be able to pick-up by 1pm instead of waiting for it to go out for delivery to the local UPS store and wait till it is delivered and processed there, which would likely be much later than 1pm.

Also, saves me $10 in "Need a US Address" fee charged by the UPS store franchis by picking up directly from the UPS hub. And one less load/unload process to reduce potential shipping damage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Mine is 1.5 hours down the turnpike...hopefully it will be available for pickup this evening. You need a gov't issue photo ID and the address must match the delivery address they said. If not it must be accompanied by a passport.....fyi

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Mine is 1.5 hours down the turnpike...hopefully it will be available for pickup this evening. You need a gov't issue photo ID and the address must match the delivery address they said. If not it must be accompanied by a passport.....fyi
    The phone rep said I needed gov't issued photo ID with my signature on it. And my shipping/receipt from the seller showing original address. No issues on either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anybody swapped a Bluto out for a rigid fork?

I have a Boris X9 Bluto on the way. Spent a little more than intended so I plan to sell the Bluto fork and replace with a rigid, maybe a China carbon off ebay but need to find a tapered rigid carbon fork with 150mm spacing and thru-axle. Kinda crazy how many descriptors and small differences exist for simple equipment.

It'd be great to get a Carver or Lamere fork...but if we had that kinda dough, we wouldn't be on Motobecane's to begin with!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Q2 and xmiplay now both offer a carbon, tapered, 15x150mm TA fork. Not sure what axle-to-crown measurement is and how it compares to the three different bluto travels.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Tips-Up View Post

It'd be great to get a Carver or Lamere fork...but if we had that kinda dough, we wouldn't be on Motobecane's to begin with!
    Nonsense. The Night Train is clearly the greatest fatbike OF ALL TIME!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

I give lots of credit to the rigid riders out there. Rode a mukluk rigid on rocks and large roots and quickly pulled the trigger on a bluto night train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Higgins17; 11-18-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast