Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread - Page 23- Mtbr.com
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 4,401 to 4,441 of 4441
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Got my NT Ti SL and I am more that pleases with it. I like the large 19” frame for my 5’11” height and for my riding style. But can see why Bikes Direct recommends a medium for my size. I just like the feel of a longer frame.

The front brake rotor has a very sight warp to it and I broke the C-clip on the top cross bolt of disk brake. Didn’t realize I had to remove c-clip before unscrewing the bolt that holds the plastic brake pad divider. (My fault). I will remove the rotor and see if it’s the rotor or the hub mounting surface that is causing the warp.

Assembly was fairly easy except for the handlebar clamp bolts. You have to be very careful not to cross thread the bolts. It could be done very easy if you were in a hurry. The directions that comes with the bike were no help to me but with it mostly assembled, there is no need for them. YouTube is way more helpful.

It was getting dark so I couldn’t ride for very long, just a quick ride around the block. I am quite pleased with the geometry and ride so far. It is a very light bike compared to my steel Diamondback bike I had last year.

My only complaint so far could be that I now need a heavy, $$, quality bike lock where a cheap, lightweight, bike lock worked fine with my lower cost Diamondback bike. The biggest surprise and a bonus too me is the hub clicker is not annoying loud. I could hardly hear the clicking over the hum of the tyres. I may not need to upgrade to an Onyx silent hub.

mtbr member
    Congratulations! Yeah, judging by you previous post I figured you'd be happy with the LARGE, and that was what I recommended, so I'm glad it worked out well.

You are absolutely correct about the handlebar clamp bolts being easy to cross-thread. Also, all of the stem's bolts are easy to strip -- well, it's the stem that strips -- if you overtighten just a bit. Don't ask me how I know. I know :-(

I had a good laugh about you lock predicament. We are our own worst enemy :-)

Just get a super duper nice lock. Maybe they'll steal that instead.
    Time flies like the wind
    But fruit flies like bananas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Do any of you folks who have blown up the Novatec d202sb hubs or moved on to other hubs still have the 197mm spaced axle/endcap? I bought a set on ebay from a guy that said 190 or 197 but only came with the 190TA setup. I need 197TA setup. Bdop doesn't carry that size. I think I found one on Alixpress. Novatec USA doesn't stock it and sent me on to Bike Fettish. I'm guessing it'll be a rip off $100+ based on what they tried to sell the XD driver for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Do any of you folks who have blown up the Novatec d202sb hubs or moved on to other hubs still have the 197mm spaced axle/endcap? I bought a set on ebay from a guy that said 190 or 197 but only came with the 190TA setup. I need 197TA setup. Bdop doesn't carry that size. I think I found one on Alixpress. Novatec USA doesn't stock it and sent me on to Bike Fettish. I'm guessing it'll be a rip off $100+ based on what they tried to sell the XD driver for.
    pm sent.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-d202sb-197-ta.jpg
    Last edited by watermonkey; 04-17-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    pm sent.
    I sent you a pm with my shipping info. Not sure if you were busy with the holiday or just forgot.

mtbr member
    Can someone explain if an XD freehub body is available for the Novatec hub that shipped with the 10-speed shimano cassette?

I would think that they are available, but I can’t seem to figure out the right part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJr View Post
    Can someone explain if an XD freehub body is available for the Novatec hub that shipped with the 10-speed shimano cassette?

I would think that they are available, but I can’t seem to figure out the right part number.

Not positive, but...
    https://www.amazon.com/Novatec-Sram-...28868627&psc=1

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Is the novatec freehub body on amazon this one?

Name:  novatec.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  78.5 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It appears the amazon one is the correct one. If you look at the chart on Bdop cyling it shows the XD driver for the D202sB to be the same as the ones that the amazon listing calls out (D712SB D772SB D482SB D882SB).

I bought from Bdop and it was quick and painless. I actually got my xd driver from China before I got parts I ordered from Jenson in CA. I live in Minnesota https://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Parts-XD-DRIVER.asp

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    It appears the amazon one is the correct one. If you look at the chart on Bdop cyling it shows the XD driver for the D202sB to be the same as the ones that the amazon listing calls out (D712SB D772SB D482SB D882SB).
    Am I right in thinking that with that XD freehub body, an Eagle GX cassette can be installed on my Novatec hub?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJr View Post
    Am I right in thinking that with that XD freehub body, an Eagle GX cassette can be installed on my Novatec hub?

YES. if it's an XD driver it can take the Eagle GX cassette

mtbr member
    Last edited by WhiskeyJr; 04-27-2019 at 10:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Took the night train for a nice ride today.. love the grip even with "slicks"

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Anyone use fenders on this bike? If so, what do you use?
    This custom one seems great - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-Kbf0u0oM&t=501s

mtbr member
    I use the beaver guard ones. They fit and look great.

https://beaverguardfatbike.com/

mtbr member
    I'm very happy with the SKS Fatboards.
    Time flies like the wind

Professional Crastinator

Internal Cable Plugs Tough to Remove

After 3 years of [ab]use, the ol' Sturgis is due for some TLC. The screws in the frame plugs are really stuck. I rounded them out after letting them sit with Blaster on them for 24 hrs. I will be slotting them with the mini wheel next. Forgot to grease/anti-seize when new.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20190502_234614.jpg

-F

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After going tubeless with Vee Speedsters 26x3.5 she's weighing in at ~28.6lbs / 13kg with pedals and bottle cages. I've also swapped in carbon bars and seat post. This is on the 17 inch night train express. I'm planning on a new wheelset and a lighter cassette, should lose another pound or so.. would be awesome to get into the 26 pound range but that might be pushing it without some carbon rims

I used clear Gorilla tape to go tubeless.. I don't think it was the best choice but it worked. I had a lot of leaks near the rim strip at first, but the sealant finally closed it all up after an hour or two. If you are going to go tubeless, make sure your rim strip is perfectly centered, even maybe trim it a bit so the adhesive has the most change to adhere to the rim to make an air tight seal

Professional Crastinator

Yin and Yang

I thought something was up with the old Sturgis, and I wanted better wheels, so I found a deal for what was supposed to be a blem. It had no blem, but I still got the deal.
    The white bike is the old one. The black bike is the new one. I have this fondness for the camo vinyl graphics, so the black bike, despite very nice matte black paint got the treatment in "Harvest Moon" camo.
    I still don't like 1x12, so that, and the heavy tires went to the old Sturgis, which, upon further review, wheelbase measuring, and head angle measuring, was found to have no issues whatsoever. So I have 2 pretty nice fatbikes right now. Soon to be 1.

Old (~34#)
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20190511_160756%5B1%5D.jpg
    And I must admit, those Minions look awesome (and they ride pretty nice, too). I really like the Kinesis rigid fork.

New (~31.5#)
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20190516_193552%5B1%5D.jpg
    With 4.0 "Summer" tires. The Carver rigid carbon fork is my add. There's a Bluto in the closet, too.

-F

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    I used clear Gorilla tape to go tubeless.. I don't think it was the best choice but it worked. I had a lot of leaks near the rim strip at first, but the sealant finally closed it all up after an hour or two. If you are going to go tubeless, make sure your rim strip is perfectly centered, even maybe trim it a bit so the adhesive has the most change to adhere to the rim to make an air tight seal
    So the clear gorilla tape held for a ride but after a week of sitting it stopped holding air completely. It might have worked if i put the tape all the way to the edge of the rim (vs the edge of the bead) but forget clear gorilla tape! Just get the Sun Ringle rim tape which is made specifically for the Mulefut rim. It's the exact right size and super easy to apply. When I set up the tires there was no problems with leaking, the rear didn't even have a drop of sealant leak out when I pumped it up!

The clear gorilla tape leaves a nasty residue which is not easy to clean with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. I cleaned it as well as possible and just wrapped the OEM Sun Ringle tape and it worked like a charm

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_160756[1].jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	463.1 KB 
ID:	1252126

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_193552[1].jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	1252125

-F
    I like those wraps on there.. giving me ideas..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    So the clear gorilla tape held for a ride but after a week of sitting it stopped holding air completely. It might have worked if i put the tape all the way to the edge of the rim (vs the edge of the bead) but forget clear gorilla tape! Just get the Sun Ringle rim tape which is made specifically for the Mulefut rim. It's the exact right size and super easy to apply. When I set up the tires there was no problems with leaking, the rear didn't even have a drop of sealant leak out when I pumped it up!

The clear gorilla tape leaves a nasty residue which is not easy to clean with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. I cleaned it as well as possible and just wrapped the OEM Sun Ringle tape and it worked like a charm
    Indeed. Going ghetto only saves you money if your time and soul are worth zero.
    Time flies like the wind

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
    Indeed. Going ghetto only saves you money if your time and soul are worth zero.
    I didn't even know it was ghetto, I thought using gorilla tape was the way people did it until I found out about the OEM tape. It works sooo much better it's ridiculous.

edit.. STILL one of the tires is leaking bad.. Idk if it was due to the gorilla tape reside or what but i'm getting a little tired of messing with these rims/tires!
    Last edited by frantik!; 06-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Add suspension fork

I've been searchin with no luck.

Does the Manitou Mastodon fit a Sturgis L-frame? especially the adjustment knob seems to hit downtubes on some bikes.

Kind of related, did people convert this bike to a summer hardtail with 29+ by just using a rigid fork, or is a front suspension needed when going to smaller tires?

I have that possible plan to get a suspension fork an din the future maybe 29+ wheels. but the issue is, that would cost as much as buying an entry level 29+ hardtail (inc. other components). So I'm questioning my plan to use the Sturgis as a hardtail and wonder if I just leave it as is and plan on buying a dedicated summer bike? I don't have experience with suspension and geometry, but know the Sturgis is relatively steep (70° HTA etc.). it is a good rigid fatbike, but is it a good hardtail?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    I have a Sturgis L with a Mastodon 100 EXT and there is no issue with knob clearance.
    :thumbsup: Gotta Ride Fat !!! :ihih:

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    I've been searchin with no luck.

Does the Manitou Mastodon fit a Sturgis L-frame? especially the adjustment knob seems to hit downtubes on some bikes.

Kind of related, did people convert this bike to a summer hardtail with 29+ by just using a rigid fork, or is a front suspension needed when going to smaller tires?

I have that possible plan to get a suspension fork an din the future maybe 29+ wheels. but the issue is, that would cost as much as buying an entry level 29+ hardtail (inc. other components). So I'm questioning my plan to use the Sturgis as a hardtail and wonder if I just leave it as is and plan on buying a dedicated summer bike? I don't have experience with suspension and geometry, but know the Sturgis is relatively steep (70° HTA etc.). it is a good rigid fatbike, but is it a good hardtail?
    Mine has worked out well with 26x4.8, 26x4.0, and 29x3. I have had all three set-ups on the Carver Popeye rigid carbon fork (~490mm ATC) as well as a 120mm Bluto. I think it handles a bit better with the Bluto (seems to have a bit more rake and slacker head angle), but after an hour on the rigid fork I forget what the difference even was.

-F
    Last edited by Fleas; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    I have a Sturgis L with a Mastodon 100 EXT and there is no issue with knob clearance.
    Thanks. Good to know this is an option. my research says the Mastadone is the really good fat fork, especially for winter and I decided that or none.

Ironically Bikesdirect sells a whole frame, headset and Bluto for just a tad more than the Mastadone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Mine has worked out well with 26x4.8, 26x4.0, and 29x3. I have had all three set-ups on the Carver Popeye rigid carbon fork (~490mm ATC) as well as a 120mm Bluto. I think it handles a bit better with the Bluto (seems to have a bit more rake and slacker head angle), but after an hour on the rigid fork I forget what the difference even was.

-B
    So you don't think it makes much of a difference, even with the 3" tires? Mmmh. i'm not riding fast, nor do I do crazy drops and other things. i just feel os nome faster descents and some rough terrain I get some bouncing that i try to heal with the suspension fork.

Knowing what you know now, would you buy a suspension fork at all?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but I purchased a motobecane night train express a few years ago with 26x4.8's on it. Has anyone tried converting to a 27.5+? What rim/tire combo's have you tried out in 27.5? How did it effect the geometry/handling and did you have to make any other changes, or just the wheels? I was looking to make it a little more nimble but still retain the monster truck feel of it, so I was thinking a 27.5+ might accomplish this. Thanks for your input...
    2015 giant glory
    2017 motobecane nighttrain express
    2019 pivot trail 429

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I made the switch from Wrathchilds to Johnny5’s for winter and WOW are they massive. They are the largest tire that will fit the frame, no question. They’re even larger than my Bud/FBR combo I use for summer. So far they’re awesome and I am very impressed.
    How did your Johnny 5's play out as time went on? Did they still fit after a month or two (any stretching)? It sounds like they started out pretty close to the limit of what the frame can accept.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post

So you don't think it makes much of a difference, even with the 3" tires? Mmmh. i'm not riding fast, nor do I do crazy drops and other things. i just feel os nome faster descents and some rough terrain I get some bouncing that i try to heal with the suspension fork.

Knowing what you know now, would you buy a suspension fork at all?
    Outer tire diameter is pretty close between 29+ and 26 fat.

As far as suspension forks, you're asking the wrong guy. I ride rigid 99.9% of the time. I bought the Sturgis with the Bluto only because it was the cheapest way to get a Bluto. It has been leaning against the wall in my basement all year.

Even on my local trails, there is only one spot out of about 75 miles of singletrack where the Bluto really makes a difference for how I ride.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
    How did your Johnny 5's play out as time went on? Did they still fit after a month or two (any stretching)? It sounds like they started out pretty close to the limit of what the frame can accept.
    I did not notice a whole lot of stretch. They still fit and I was still riding them at the end of the season. I can't wait to toss them back on for this winter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just ordered a Night Train Bullet, and plan to setup tubeless right off the bat. I am ordering the 78mm stans tape and have plenty of stans sealant. My question: do I need to order a rim strip for under the tape, or will that come with the bike? I've read so many things, but I can't find this advice quickly. Thanks! I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by benoksanen View Post
    Just ordered a Night Train Bullet, and plan to setup tubeless right off the bat. I am ordering the 78mm stans tape and have plenty of stans sealant. My question: do I need to order a rim strip for under the tape, or will that come with the bike? I've read so many things, but I can't find this advice quickly. Thanks! I'll report back.
    When I got mine in 2015 they came with black installed and red in the box (flourescent green bike). Not sure what they come with these days

mtbr member
    Both ours came with 2 sets of rim tape as well, but it's very easy to find locally since the Mulefut is the most common wheel.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I did not notice a whole lot of stretch. They still fit and I was still riding them at the end of the season. I can't wait to toss them back on for this winter.
    Initial fitment of Johnny 5 studded on my Night Train with the stock Mulefuts shows promise, sufficient clearance all round including chain at 15psi. I'm cautiously optimistic that even after the tire stretches, clearance will be just fine (normal operating pressure is 2psi-8psi depending on conditions which should help). This looks like about as much tire as this frame can realistically accommodate. Interestingly the tightest part of the fit is just getting the front wheel on the bike when the tire is pre-inflated, due to the size of the Hope Tech 3 e4 brake caliper that is on it - I had to put the wheel on at an angle for the tire to clear the caliper.

mtbr member
    Any size small frames for sale out there?
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Any size small frames for sale out there?
    I have a size small gen 1 I'm looking to part with. Pm me. It has the bluto.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hooligan
    Anybody have a lead on cheap replacement axles? Mine broke the other day. I see they have them on the site, but they're a lot more than I'm willing to pay for something that won't stay tight and broke this early on.
    If not I'll probably get one of the bolt ons from Robert axle project.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Anybody have a lead on cheap replacement axles? Mine broke the other day. I see they have them on the site, but they're a lot more than I'm willing to pay for something that won't stay tight and broke this early on.
    If not I'll probably get one of the bolt ons from Robert axle project.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I snapped the lever off somehow while riding and went with the factory replacement. It was fine, but it was different from the original.

Should I even ask how you broke yours?

-F

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In case you are still looking I have a 2016 small (pewter with black carbon fork) with minimal use. Probably about 10 snow rides and maybe that many trail rides. Maybe 150 miles total. Bought a medium cs-197 carbon and swapped parts so this one is sitting in the basement. Pm me if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    In case you are still looking I have a 2016 small (pewter with black carbon fork) with minimal use. Probably about 10 snow rides and maybe that many trail rides. Maybe 150 miles total. Bought a medium cs-197 carbon and swapped parts so this one is sitting in the basement. Pm me if you are interested.
    PM sent.
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223