Motobecane Night Train Frame Swap - Advice Needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Motobecane Night Train Frame Swap - Advice Needed

I have a 17" Motobecane Night Train Bullet, and ordered a new 15" frame to swap to the smaller size.

I think this will be relatively straightforward since the new frame comes with the headset and the bottom brackets are obviously the same.

Looks to me like it will be a simple bolt off/bolt on procedure except for the hydrolic brake lines.

Some questions -

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to swap over the brakes? Imagine I will have to disconnect the lines and not quite sure how.

What grease is a popular one for the bottom bracket nowadays?

Any other gotchas I need to watch out for? I am thinking this is an afternoon job at most.

I am mechanically inclined to the point of watching a youtube video or reading an article for the "how to". I have done basics such as cleaning the carb on my motorycle and basic auto repairs.

Thanks,

Tom
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    The only cables/housing that are routed internally are the front and rear derailleur. The brake lines are external, and just mounted with the clips. You can pull the entire brake system (levers, hose and calipers) as one unit and put right back on the other frame without undoing the brake lines. DO NOT squeeze the brake levers while the caliper is off the rotor - if you don't have the stock brake pad spacers, find something plastic and clean to jam in there so they don't get jacked and the cylinders can't compress. You might wind up with overly long brake lines, but that's better left to a shop if you feel you need to shorten them. You'll need new derailleur cables and end caps. And the correct bottom bracket wrench if you don't already have it. Maybe another headset spacer too. It should be pretty straight forward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks, I am at lunch at work and thinking through this and forgot about the brake line routing. I am thinking that with the frame being only 1/2" shorter in the top tube that I won't need shorter cables.

I bought a tool kit a while back and used it to change the bottom bracket on my son's Specialized Hot Rock. Have to see if the same tool will work or not.

Are new cables for the derailleurs a must?
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    If you can extract and then rethread the full length housing through the internal frame routing without having to cut the cable, then you'll probably be able to get away without new cables. I've swapped hydo brakes on this frame, but haven't messed with the frame routing, so I don't know how much of a PITA it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It will be easy to do. The internal routing is easy - just don't lose the small port screws. Use some loctite when you re-install. No need to disconnect hydraulic lines- follow watermonkey's advice. If you clip the inner wires right at the derailleur bolts you can often re-use them. If they are a bit short, simply cut the shifter housing about 1 inch shorter and the inner wire will then be more than long enough. Enjoy your Motobecane Night Train Bullet fatbike and post pics when you are out havin fun on it. Love to see them

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Job done. For anyone else trying to do this, here is my advice for somebody who has not done a frame swap before:

You will need to press the headset cups into the frame. The park tool is over $100, plenty of Youtube videos on how to make a home made tool. The lower cup is large, so the washers that home depot sells barely cover it, but it worked out with my makeshift tool that I borrowed from a friend. The cups were going in on an angle I could not get them to line up perfect. Turns out it was not that big of a deal and they straighten themselves out. You can damage your frame if you do it wrong, so if you are nervous, local bike shops I called will do this for $25.

Here is one of the many videos on you tube with a "how to".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGfvO-ztoT4

I bought this from home depot and used it upside-down to get a wider fit on the lower cup.

Mueller Streamline 2 in. Galvanized Malleable Iron Floor Flange-511-608HN - The Home Depot

You will need a bottom bracket tool. Park has one for $18 + shipping on Amazon, but I went generic and saved 5 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also want bike grease to nicely grease the bottom bracket, headset, and wheel skewers.

Amazon.com : Phil Wood 3-Ounce Grease Tube : Bike Greases : Sports & Outdoors

For the derailleurs, I took pictures of all the cable routing to make sure I would remember which cable routes on which side of the frame and where they come out of the bottom of the frame - there are two holes.

I did have to trim back the cable housing on the rear derailleur by an inch since I had to trim the cable as the end was frayed. Trimming the housing cable probably goes much faster with a special tool to cut through the stell belts lining the cable inside the plastic housing, but i just carefully cut off the plastic housing and pulled it away, then bend the steel belts and cut them so as not to cut the main cable.

Now, I just need to adjust the derailleurs properly and I will be good to go.

Motobecane Night Train Frame Swap - Advice Needed-20150313_214336.jpg
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was wondering how you got a 2nd frame from BD? What did they charge? I am in the same boat... exactly.... 5-9 29/30 inseam and sack is getting a bit scrunched.... Is the new frame too small???

BD said to return the bike. I am a very good mechanic and would rather get a frame and switch the stuff. I hope you got your bike worked out - The toughest thing is the front der. adjustments and even that is not that bad with the newer setups.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I bought the frame/fork combo. Sold the Bluto locally for 450 and frame for 180, so total 630 of the 699 covered not counting the tools. Bike is so much better.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks. Glad it worked for you. I guess I will just return it providing that have one to ship me....... That will cost me 100 in shipping and that's it. Less hassle. Getting that bike back in a box is tough..... Big bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Pearsth, just to close out with you - got the 15.5 inch bike (was 100 return shipping) and although the standover is still not great, I am happy with the change - thanks for the help. I now have the bike on a budget weight reduction program (bar, post and seat already changed out - tubeless next week), then I will be all set until the tires wear out. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Glad to hear it worked out. Still trying to sell my frame, so shipping it back was a good option. I an out 250 if I don't sell the frame and you are out 100.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman