Motobecane Fat Bikes -- SUN-RINGLE Mulefüt + Stock Minions tubeless setup- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,942

    Motobecane Fat Bikes -- SUN-RINGLE Mulefüt + Stock Minions tubeless setup

    I have a feeling this has been asked before.. but I did a search and did not see this specific question asked.

    For those of you that have bought motobecane/bikesdirect fat bikes, has anyone tried to setup the stock Mulefut rims with the stock Minion tires ? I know that the rims are tubeless but I don't think the stock Minion tires are tubeless.

    If you have tried this, how successful were you ?
    Last edited by RajunCajun44; 01-21-2019 at 10:54 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyriverag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,181
    I have Mulefuts and Minions set up tubeless. Seem to work great. The Mulefuts are the new version though.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I have Mulefuts and Minions set up tubeless. Seem to work great. The Mulefuts are the new version though.
    thanks.... what bike is it ? and just to clarify, are you using the stock wheelset and Minion tires ?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    877
    Nobody ever told me if my tires were "tubeless" and I never checked. I just tape the wheels, hit them with air, and if they seat the bead, dump a few ounces of sealant in them and go.

    Don't ask for permission, just do it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,330
    For low pressure fat bike tires, being labelled "tubeless ready" is not a requirement. The rim makes the big difference and Mulefuts are one of the best for tubeless. Your Minion/Mulefut will setup just fine.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post

    I tell you the owner of bikes direct is such an idiot... why would you sell a bike with tubeless rims and not tubeless ready tires.. .or at least give you an option for an upgrade...
    One is an idiot by just omitting one fact among the hundreds of detailed facts they provide?
    BD provides more data on their bikes than most LBS bikes and you can always email them for more info. they are very responsive.

    As for your question, yes the Minions are tubeless and work fine.

    Many LBs brands provide regular (non tubeless tires) with their tubeless ready rims. So you will be on your own risk with the more expensive LBS bikes or need to buy new tires right off the bat.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    For low pressure fat bike tires, being labelled "tubeless ready" is not a requirement. The rim makes the big difference and Mulefuts are one of the best for tubeless. Your Minion/Mulefut will setup just fine.
    thanks

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyriverag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    thanks.... what bike is it ? and just to clarify, are you using the stock wheelset and Minion tires ?

    It is a 509 Cycles Jabit 3, not available through BD, though that doesn't really matter.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

  9. #9
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,862
    BD is omitting facts because then they can't be accused of bait & switching when the website says one thing, and customer orders a bike, opens the shipping box and lo and behold received something else. Thus not describing OEM tires which aren't tubeless ready if they in fact, aren't, when a lot of customers expect that when price comparing bikes at a certain price level. Maxxis makes 120TPI Minion FBF/FBRs for example without the tubeless ready casing, for the OEM market.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    BD is omitting facts because then they can't be accused of bait & switching when the website says one thing, and customer orders a bike, opens the shipping box and lo and behold received something else. Thus not describing OEM tires which aren't tubeless ready if they in fact, aren't, when a lot of customers expect that when price comparing bikes at a certain price level. Maxxis makes 120TPI Minion FBF/FBRs for example without the tubeless ready casing, for the OEM market.
    yeah I got that now... blue cheese mentioned something I did not know...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    110
    Here's the official hayes video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUjazEhVpfA

    Depending on how the tire bead sits and seals it probably will be way harder to seat the bead. I have to use the full bag of tubeless tricks with my mulefuts but I usually get away with using the tube to seat one side method.
    But sometimes I need the strap around the OD of the tire. Once seated though the beads are not coming off easily.
    Then mine leaked at the rim joint until the orange seal clogged the channels in the rim. They hold flawlessly now though.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    452
    I have a Night Train with the 60 tpi Minions/Mulefut and run them tubeless. Strongly recommend the Sun Ringle tape, pricey but works great. As stated, mount the tire with a tube, leave one side set, remove the tube then hit it with a compressor then use your sealant of choice. I believe that the 60 tpi version of the Minion is not technically tubeless ready but it will work. My Jumbo Jim snakeskin tubeless ready aired up WAY easier on the same rims.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    I have a Night Train with the 60 tpi Minions/Mulefut and run them tubeless. Strongly recommend the Sun Ringle tape, pricey but works great. As stated, mount the tire with a tube, leave one side set, remove the tube then hit it with a compressor then use your sealant of choice. I believe that the 60 tpi version of the Minion is not technically tubeless ready but it will work. My Jumbo Jim snakeskin tubeless ready aired up WAY easier on the same rims.
    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. SUNringlé Mulefüt Rims Breaking Spokes
    By BennyTRD in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2017, 03:33 AM
  3. 20" wheel build - sun cr18 28H/32h with sun/ringle hubs singlespeed
    By stinkytevas in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-15-2016, 12:54 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM

Members who have read this thread: 76

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.