mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Motobecane Boris sizing

I'm about 5'7 and did the pre-sale on bikes direct for the Boris in a 17, but after looking at pics of the khs in 17 I'm wondering if I should change it to a 15. Is anyone around my height with either bike who can steer me one way or the other? I can still change it, but I'm unsure if I want to. Right now I'm riding a 17.5 trek liquid, and it fits me perfectly. The girl I talked to recommended the 17, but I'm just wondering what other people chose and how they fit.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am 5' 7.5" with an inseam of 31". Currently my ride is a medium Specialized Camber 29er and it fits me nicely. Looking at the specs of the KHS (which are close to the Boris), the top tube for the small is 583cm and the medium is 602cm. The top tube on my Camber is 587cm, right between the size of the Boris/KHS. Since I like a more upright riding position and I didn't want to buy another seat post, if the 15M was too short, I went with the 17M.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Here's 2 of my previous replies to questions on Boris sizing.

Bike companies have always suggested a size medium (17") for me. 5'8 3/4" with a 30" inseam. They've always been too big. I ordered a Boris X9 in a 15" and glad I did it. Fits perfectly with a 400mm seatpost. If you're concerned that it's a bit short you can order an offset seatpost, move your seat back, and work with a different headset (all cheap fixes). I knew right off the bat that I didn't want to high center the boys in snow or mud, or roots and rocks for that matter.

I have the X9 15". I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and short arms. I installed a 400mm seat post and use every bit of it, plus I put on a riser headset. I found the reach to be fairly long, but the stand over height is great. I'm happy that I got the 15" over the 17", so I hope that helps you out a bit. Overall I like the bike. Only fatbike I've ridden though so you'll have to take it for what experience I have. I chose the Boris for the standover and upgraded parts and have no complaints on anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can someone post a pic of the 17" frame? I don't know what they look like. I think on the bd site they have the 15 and 19 on the x5 listing but I'm not sure.

So from comparing the pics on their site, I think these are the right size with the pics..

19?

Between the 15 and 17 it looks like it's pretty similar but with a higher top tube which let's you put a 2nd bottle cage at least. I usually run a 60mm stem, and on these it comes with an 80, so I will probably want to bring the handlebars in some on the 17. Wish they did 14 and 16 instead, because I don't know if I want to be on the tail end of the small, it might feel cramped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    1st one is a 15". There's room for an Ibera small frame bag for about $12 and nothing else. You can put on a top tube/seatpost/handlebar bag and then you have to look for a place for water bottles, although you can put a small water bag in the Ibera bag and run a tube from it. Not sure what the new Boris has for front braze-on but the old has plenty. I usually use a platypus in a backpack.

The 15" does not feel small in anyway. 17" in on me would have been too big.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright you convinced me lol I'll call them and switch my order to a 15. I really wanted a bottle mount on the seat tube but I don't want a frame that's too big. I use a top tube bag for some stuff so I'll be able to carry one bottle, hopefully I can fit a 24oz at least. Tall people get all the water. I have a camelbak but I don't like using it, the weight on my shoulder starts to hurt after a while. I have a stem cap mount that I use on my fs for long trips so there's that. Anyways a lot thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can someone tell me the seat post size? I'm probably going to need a longer one and I want to see if I have one

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Can someone tell me the seat post size? I'm probably going to need a longer one and I want to see if I have one

31.6mm x 350mm and here's the rest of the specs.
    Frame ALLOY 6061 FRAME, W/DISC MOUNT ONLY, TIG WELD, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, H2O bosses
    Fork 26" 25.4x28.6x30x250L Straight blade CRMO 1 1/8 W/DISC MOUNT ONLY
    Forks are coming with more brazeons/mounts than pictured
    Crankset SRAM X5 22T ALLOY BKx36T ALLOY BKx175MM
    Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP100 100x1.37
    Pedals VP-530 ALLOY BLACK W/CPSC REFLECTOR
    Front Derailleur SRAM FD-X7 2x10 HIGH DIRECT MOUNT
    Rear Derailleur SRAM RD-X9 GRAY CAGE 10SPD STGRY
    Shifters SRAM SL-X7 TRIGGER 20-SP BLACK
    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM PG-1030 10-SPEED 11-36
    Chain KMC X-10 STEEL NP/NP+CL-566R LINK
    Hubs Front 14Gx32Hx135mm alloy BLACK,W/QR / Rear 14Gx32Hx170mm QL205Y alloy BLACK
    Spokes 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE
    Rims 26"x32H WEINMANN HL-80 WIDTH 80MM W/BIG HOLES, ALLOY BLACK
    Tires/Tubes VEE Rubber 26"x4.0 MISSION 120TPI FB F/V
    Brakes AVID BB7 DISC BRAKE W/F:180MM,R:160MM ROTOR
    Brake Levers AVID FR5 ALLOY BLACK LEVER W/ALLOY
    Headset VP-A42E BLACK W/M-1D ALLOY BLACK CAP
    Handlebar 31.8mm W:700MMx9 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Stem Alloy, A-Head 15":80mm 17":80mm 19":90mm 21": 100mmx R:45mmx7 DEG
    Tape/Grip 130mm, ALL BLACK, SUPER LIGHT FOAM
    Saddle WTB SPEED V SPORT SE VINYL TOP
    Seat Post Alloy 31.6mm x 350mm aluminum
    Seat Post Clamp 34.9 ALLOY, Q/R
    Sizes See pull down
    Colors See Pull Down menu

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They do have specs and frame sizing suggestions on there website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They didn't have the seat post size on the x5 page, and I'm almost 5'8, right at the end of 15" and beginning of 17", so opinions are helpful.

Wanna ride bikes?
    the pic of the grey X5 is wrong.

the X9 pic is the 19" frame, the grey X5 is a 21"
    Attachment 915319Attachment 915320

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ohhhh ok cool.. So are there any 17" pics up at all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Motobecane Boris sizing

Wait so.. This is the same frame size as this? These are both off the x9 page

mtbr member
    Anybody know the largest tire size u can fit on one of these bad boys

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was looking at the Boris and wanted the burnt orange which is only a 15 and 19 left. I am just shy of 5'10 and a 32" inseam. I'm thinking the 15" is too small ( and I'm sure I don't want the 19" ). Thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronDavis View Post
    I was looking at the Boris and wanted the burnt orange which is only a 15 and 19 left. I am just shy of 5'10 and a 32" inseam. I'm thinking the 15" is too small ( and I'm sure I don't want the 19" ). Thoughts anyone?
    I have the 15" Boris X9. It will be too small for you. 5'9" and 30" inseam and a very short arm, so it works for me. I could ride a 17" if I was not concerned about becoming an Eunuch, but I would opt for a larger size for you.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ok thanks. They just have 15" and 21" so 19" isn't even an option. Maybe I will just get black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronDavis View Post
    Ok thanks. They just have 15" and 21" so 19" isn't even an option. Maybe I will just get black.
    I chose the black because of the profile. Looks clean and as a plus, any bling you put on is accentuated, but that's just my taste. The 15" and 17" framesets the most striking on the Boris, and again, just my opinion.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Wait so.. This is the same frame size as this? These are both off the x9 page

If you look where the top tube meets the stays in relation to the tires the bottom frameset is bigger. I have seen them change the bike sizes in the pictures. I believe the upper picture is a 17". Mine's a 15" and the top tube is much more angled.