Most Versatile Winter Fat Bike Race Tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Most Versatile Winter Fat Bike Race Tire

So I did a few searches and came up with nothing, sorry if this is posted already but...

What does everyone race on in the winter? In the summer I ran a set of HUDUs which I really liked, I have Bud and Lou on the bike now (set up tubeless) but the more I think about it, the more I care about being competitive! My first intention was just to ride the fatty as usual with Bud and Lou, but now, I want to compete a bit
    I
    dont want to buy a second set of wheels, and Id prefer not to swap tires because it was a pain to get B&L setup tubeless with my 1 gallon compressor.

What does everyone race on?
    2012 Pure Fix SS
    2013 Speed Concept 1x11
    2013 Air 9 Carbon SS
    2015 FM190 Fatty
    2015 Emonda SL
    2016 Macho King

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Probably Vanhelgas.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 Frame and all custom parts.

aka bOb
    Dillinger 4's would be my choice. Not sure how the new Ground Control 4's are?

mtbr member
    I have seen and thought about dillingers. Anyone actually race a B&L?
    2012 Pure Fix SS
    2013 Speed Concept 1x11
    2013 Air 9 Carbon SS
    2015 FM190 Fatty
    2015 Emonda SL
    2016 Macho King

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by msedbaue View Post
    I have seen and thought about dillingers. Anyone actually race a B&L?
    Sure but not usually the front runners.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Sure but not usually the front runners.
    Not true at all. I'm sure there are other examples but last years Fat Pursuit 60K race in Island Park Idaho was won handily on my Borealis with Bud/Lou combo. Let's be clear on this though...it was not ridden by me. My friend is abnormally fast and can ride hard forever. He borrowed my bike because it was 12 pounds lighter than his Pugs and I was going to be out of town for a couple of months. He didn't want to swap things around on a bike that wasn't his. At the starting line, several people commented on his tire choice. Keep in mind that this course had been groomed the night previous. It was still soft in spots but overall hard packed. I'm sure the tires weren't optimal for some of the ride, but in some spots they were a decided advantage. If you have the legs and lungs, you'll win or place well regardless of your equipment. I am a big fan of the Bud/Lou combo for all around winter riding. I do not feel slow on hard packed and I, and others, notice when they are working well.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Not true at all. I'm sure there are other examples but last years Fat Pursuit 60K race in Island Park Idaho was won handily on my Borealis with Bud/Lou combo. Let's be clear on this though...it was not ridden by me. My friend is abnormally fast and can ride hard forever. He borrowed my bike because it was 12 pounds lighter than his Pugs and I was going to be out of town for a couple of months. He didn't want to swap things around on a bike that wasn't his. At the starting line, several people commented on his tire choice. Keep in mind that this course had been groomed the night previous. It was still soft in spots but overall hard packed. I'm sure the tires weren't optimal for some of the ride, but in some spots they were a decided advantage. If you have the legs and lungs, you'll win or place well regardless of your equipment. I am a big fan of the Bud/Lou combo for all around winter riding. I do not feel slow on hard packed and I, and others, notice when they are working well.
    So you missed the not usually part and gave one example and called it not true at all

Your Best Friend
    Guess so. Just wanted to share a positive example. Thanks for keeping it honest.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In Anchorage I'd say the vast majority last year were on Dillinger 4s with quite a few 5s thrown in. We'll see what this year brings with the new tires on the market. So far judging from just tracks in the snow from daily rides they are still the tire of choice.
    Latitude 61

is buachail foighneach me
    Last year and so far this year have been pretty icy in Anchorage, so studded tires have been the tires of choice. The D4 is the fastest factory studded fat tire, and gets as much float as other 4" tires, which is plenty in most situations. D5 is a little slower with a little more float. If you need a lot of float and still want to roll reasonably quickly and have grip on ice, gripstuds in Buds are the best bet, but they're heavy, so accelerate slower than the other two, and don't roll as fast.

mtbr member
    In in Green Bay WI, so far no snow actually... maybe ill toss the HUDUs back on.
    2012 Pure Fix SS
    2013 Speed Concept 1x11
    2013 Air 9 Carbon SS
    2015 FM190 Fatty
    2015 Emonda SL
    2016 Macho King

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by msedbaue View Post
    In in Green Bay WI, so far no snow actually... maybe ill toss the HUDUs back on.
    Wausau here and it sucks, we are actually looking at delaying our fat bike race as we speak.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dillinger 4's are the ticket in Anchorage. I will hold judgement on some of the newer tires although I think they won't offer as much cornering grip due to lack of knobbies.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I'm in the UP; no snow in Escanaba area, and no snow to speak of in Ishpeming.

Does anyone use Bulldozers? I'm planning on killing myself during the 906 Polar Roll, but that's not until Feb 20. Hopefully have some snow by then! And hopefully won't have to get another set of tires. I'm only doing the 15 miles and have no visions of glory (just hoping to finish and not have a heart attack on the way!)

Riding the Hood
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHead View Post
    I'm in the UP; no snow in Escanaba area, and no snow to speak of in Ishpeming.

Does anyone use Bulldozers? I'm planning on killing myself during the 906 Polar Roll, but that's not until Feb 20. Hopefully have some snow by then! And hopefully won't have to get another set of tires. I'm only doing the 15 miles and have no visions of glory (just hoping to finish and not have a heart attack on the way!)
    I like the Bulldozer in the back but makes for a lousy front tire at any pressure (extreme self-steering).

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andrusc View Post
    I like the Bulldozer in the back but makes for a lousy front tire at any pressure (extreme self-steering).
    Fer shure on the self-steering!!! Ha!