More? Yet another? How? More fenders...- Mtbr.com
    The Dog.

More? Yet another? How? More fenders...

Drawing inspiration from all of the fender builds on here, I decided to make my own set. My dad works for a sign company, so he cut me some coated aluminum and put a big phat pinstripe on 'em. The white with black stripe theme was taken from some guy in MN who is trying to sell pug fenders.

My main concerns in the build were:
    -Would they be stiff enough to not bounce all around on true rocky, NE trail riding?
    -How would I construct stays?
    -Would I be able to get the rear wheel out of the horizontal drops?
    -How could I make them as light as possible?

They are completely seamless when riding. No bouncing/vibration at all. If you couldn't see the bike, you'd never know. No toe overlap. I ended up building the stays out of small diameter 6061 that crushed and bent pretty easy with a vice. They even polished up to look totally pro. Super, incredibly, insanely light too. Honestly, I might replace my plastic fenders' normal stays with these. They are just SO stiff. I had my LBS hammer a star nut into the bottom of the steerer which could nearly hold the front fender by itself. Used all stainless metric hardware with locknuts. The rear wheel slides out of the dropout easily too.

I'm quite happy with the result. If I had to do it over, I'd make the stripe 3M reflective tape instead of vinyl. I think I'll add a mudflap to the front fender at least. My feet and BB still get sprayed. Had I known the fenders would be so incredibly stiff, I would have built them closer into the tires. My only other critique is that I wish they were slightly round in cross-section to avoid spray-around. I think that that will come someday when someone is mass-producing fat fenders. Honestly, they do work quite well, though. My first ride was through nearly continuous water, mud, and melting snow, and I was totally dry.

Hope this helps/inspires others...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I propose these threads' titles are prefixed with YAFT.

The end result looks sharp ... literally and figuratively.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I cut some textured ABS over the weekend to make fenders, but was stuck on the material and design of the stays- thanks for the tip!

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I cut some textured ABS over the weekend to make fenders, but was stuck on the material and design of the stays- thanks for the tip!
    No prob. They are 5/16" OD 6061. Anything smaller that I tried snapped when I bent them. Just go slow and easy while you are bending. Crushing...go nuts. To step out the stays on the front rack mount bolts to get around the fork leg, I bent them slightly, but also used spacers from V-brake pads/direct mount front derailleurs.

All fat, all the time.
    Those are pretty slick! Look professional.