More is not always more? - wider rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

More is not always more? - wider rims

Just an observation, noticed after I kept falling over in the pines.

With a wider rim, the tread covers less percentage of the circumference of the tire, giving less knobby grip in really steep turns.
    In comparison, a small rim would arc the knobs more, giving grip at even steeper angles.

Also noted, at lower tire pressures, the tire can roll over to let you ride on the sidewall easier.
    At higher pressures, the smaller contact patch may not give more grip, but is less susceptible to tire sidewall roll.

Just my observations... possibly those with "better" tires may have very different results

mtbr member
    What tyres and rims are you using?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Just an observation, noticed after I kept falling over in the pines.

With a wider rim, the tread covers less percentage of the circumference of the tire, giving less knobby grip in really steep turns.
    In comparison, a small rim would arc the knobs more, giving grip at even steeper angles.

Also noted, at lower tire pressures, the tire can roll over to let you ride on the sidewall easier.
    At higher pressures, the smaller contact patch may not give more grip, but is less susceptible to tire sidewall roll.

Just my observations... possibly those with "better" tires may have very different results
    Pretty much the same for all sizes of tires. Rim width affects performance. A 1.8" tire on a 50mm rim is going have the same issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    What tyres and rims are you using?
    I use Devist-8er on Graceful Fat Sheba rims,

By appearances, Surly Nates seem to be better designed in this regard,
    It would be nice to see tires flat to see how much the tread covers the width of the tire.

Wizard of the Trail
    Devist8ers already have a narrow sidewall. They seem to have a flatter profile and larger contact patch than a Nate. I own a pair of both and the Nate feel much better cornering than the Devist8ers do. The Devist8ers actually feel a bit funny cornering. Hard to describe, but it's there. First time I mounted them, I thought the tire went flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I have run Larry's and BFL's on 100mm wide rims - and hauled ass on trails of rock/hardpack/sand w/o issue. They run like they're on rails in sand/gravel, but still corner well pretty much everywhere. I noticed how being on the side of the tread would affect steering feel for the first few rides - but don't now. I should try a skinny ride just to see the difference now.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Generally speaking, the wider the rim, the better the floatation. The narrower the rim (to a certain extent of course), the better the handling- especially cornering. for 2 wheeled vehicles (because we need to lean) there's always going to be a trade-off. Obviously tire construction, tread design & etc. have an affect too. I've been riding my hunddies w/ Larry's on the dirt quite a bit lately too Wadester... pretty dang fun! Especially on jeep trails. Like the 65's better though on mountain single track.

Members who have read this thread: 0