Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 1,901 to 1,909 of 1909

Thread: mongoose Vinson

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wlindsey View Post
    Thanks for the info, that makes sense. Well, I can't find any wheelsets out there where I can get a F135/R197 QR, so it looks like this is a dead end for swapping out the wheel set. Unless someone can steer me to something.

Thanks again!
    The Bikesmiths can probably hook you up. Google them and shoot them an email.

When I was going to go the route of getting mulefut 80s they were going to get me a set made.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the tip. They have replied with the following (see below). Based on your previous answers, I had originally asked them for Front 135 QR and rear 197 QR. But perhaps I didn't make it clear. And I'm not sure what front disc spaced or rear disc spaced means.

I would really appreciate it if you could just tell me how to reply here so I don't screw it up. Thanks so much!!

Wes

From Bikesmiths: "I have having trouble tracking down trusted specifications for the Vinson. Do you know if the front hub is front disc spaced or rear disc spaced. I know some of the Mongoose fat bike used the rear hub spacing for the 135mm front.

Is the rear hub a 12x197 thru axle? From my Google checking, it looks like most are using some sort of quick release set up. This is more often a 190mm."

mtbr member
    Vinson front hub is 135 QR front disc spaced. The "197 QR" you gave him is a mix of 190 QR and 197 thru-axle so it wasn't clear - it should be 190 QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wlindsey View Post
    I just moved away from snow in Utah to no snow in southern California. Can I (should I?) swap out with a 29+ wheelset? If so, could it be one like I see on bike's direct? I'm not well versed enough technically to figure this stuff out. Thanks!

bikes direct offers a wheel/tire set for 29+
    PAIR of 29 PLUS FatBike WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible Wheels + FREE Tires: VeeRubber TraxFatty 29x3 inch
    A buddy is using that same wheelset on his Vinson. The rear hub can be converted to 190 QR (linked page says the endcaps and QR are included), and he added an Ice Cream Truck fork, which takes 150x15 hubs, for ~$100. Total price is way less than a custom wheelset. The AL Vinson fork can be prone to cracking and the ICT fork slacks the bike out a bit making it more fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks! That sounds like a promising option though I can't find the fork for ~$100, seems to be ~$185. And as you pointed out, the rear hub can be converted to 190 QR.

I'll see what bikesmiths comes back with pricewise. The other consideration if I went with 135 QR and 29+ was wondering how that would be a Luna Lander front shock.

Would you pick for 29+ either:
    Surly ice cream truck front fork with 150x15
    or Luna Lander shock with 135 QR.

mtbr member

FSA Afterburner Megaexo crankset works great on the Vinson.

Below are pics of the bottom bracket, crank clearance, chain line and how it looks on the bike. It appears crosslakesales on ebay has a buy it now for $110 or bid on the weekly auction, which is what I did. I paid $63 shipped, there's not a whole lot of information on this crankset for the Vinson. What the auction pictures don't show is there are two large spacers that go on the outside of each BB bearing. Those spacers were included in with the packaging.
    Overall installation is pretty straight forward, as others have documented. The removal of the drive side bottom bracket took a breaker bar to loosen. The crankset adds about 4-5mm of clearance to the chain stays. FSA crankset weight vs stock 934 grams vs 1383 grams or 2.06lbs vs 3.05 lbs. Hope this helps someone who's looking at upgrading the crank set, no more ghost shifts while pedaling out of the saddle for me. Ebay Link-https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-Afterbu...cAAOSwGaVbpE4T

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1217609mongoose Vinson-img_1317.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_1313.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_1320.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_1319.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_1322.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-img_1316.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip!! Also if anyone is looking to sell their bike. Let me know. Looking for a bike for my wife.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member

re: eBay FSA Afterburner Megaexo Fat Bike 100mm Crankset 170mm 32T Alloy Double NEW

Quote Originally Posted by WWStone View Post
    there are two large spacers that go on the outside of each BB bearing.
    Those spacers were included in with the packaging.
    ... The crankset adds about 4-5mm of clearance to the chain stays.
    Nice find! What is the resulting chainline? (frame centerline to chainring)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WWStone View Post
    Below are pics of the bottom bracket, crank clearance, chain line and how it looks on the bike. It appears crosslakesales on ebay has a buy it now for $110 or bid on the weekly auction, which is what I did. I paid $63 shipped, there's not a whole lot of information on this crankset for the Vinson. What the auction pictures don't show is there are two large spacers that go on the outside of each BB bearing. Those spacers were included in with the packaging.
    Overall installation is pretty straight forward, as others have documented. The removal of the drive side bottom bracket took a breaker bar to loosen. The crankset adds about 4-5mm of clearance to the chain stays. FSA crankset weight vs stock 934 grams vs 1383 grams or 2.06lbs vs 3.05 lbs. Hope this helps someone who's looking at upgrading the crank set, no more ghost shifts while pedaling out of the saddle for me. Ebay Link-https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-Afterbu...cAAOSwGaVbpE4T
    I just picked up a crank and will update when I can install!
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920