mongoose Vinson - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: mongoose Vinson

mtbr member
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut321 View Post
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.
    Nice! Enjoy it's a great bike

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut321 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. Nice Folks here. Congrats on your new Bicycle! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    The Vinson is on the mongoose website.Looks like they have to work the bugs out on the specs.

Ent whacker
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I am 5' 11" with a 30" inseam. I am looking at layback seatpost options.
    Bought a 30.6 x 27.2 shim and used a spare 410mm Thomson post. Perfect.

Ent whacker
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    I was worried about clearance in the rear. I will say the the combo I have is awesome I can climb any hill a rail corners . I think the bulldozer is an excellent tire and rolls fast. No snow yet but supposed to get some this weekend. Will update. By the way no annoying squeaky noise from the tires like the missions did.

That is almost reason enough right there. Rear started squeaking on the third ride and drove me nuts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    My intentions are to go tubeless and if I do the bulldozer should fit fine.

Cool! and please share how the tubeless conversion goes! one more question, so the Surly Lou (and bud) is not good for tubeless? my LBS only carries surly tires so I will have to get the bulldozer online.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    What's the stand over with these tires?

mtbr member
    I'll have to look, it's at my Dad's
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just seen sports authority has the vinson on ebay for 579$ Free shipping.

mtbr member

mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by NEOHIO Ray View Post
    Just seen sports authority has the vinson on ebay for 579$ Free shipping.
    Ughh, can't believe I missed the sale MC SPORTS had 😒

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    FYI, you can buy it directly from Sports Authority with free shipping and 10% off. ($522 total shipped)

Mongoose Vinson All-Terrain Fat Bike - SportsAuthority.com

Get 10% off by signing up for emails.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/email...clickid=signup
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member

mongoose Vinson

Damn. If I would have known that, I probably would have ordered this instead of the gravity bullseye monster. The specs between the two bikes seem almost identical however, the Vinson has those 100mm rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I bought one of these Vinsons a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but the tires are not great in snow. I slip out pretty bad on climbs. I am noticing that different users have used different tire combo upgrades (lou, bud, bulldozer, snow shoe)... I know little about tires. Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

This is kind of a broad question, but I appreciate anything you can offer.

And, I am in general agreement... this bike is a fantastic deal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by rinndw View Post
    I bought one of these Vinsons a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but the tires are not great in snow. I slip out pretty bad on climbs. I am noticing that different users have used different tire combo upgrades (lou, bud, bulldozer, snow shoe)... I know little about tires. Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

I have the bulldozer rear and bud front and the main reason I went bulldozer rear was I heard it had good traction and it was not as wide as a Lou so it would clear the chain and stays even with flex . I have been very pleased with the combo. We have had very cold powder snow and it has been impressive the amount of grip.

mtbr member
    I can't see it in the pics. Does this bike have the ability to add a rear rack?

mtbr member
    I got a pair of On-One floaters based on the price and generally good reviews. I havn't had a chance to fit them up yet, but I havn't seen anything close in the price range.
    Aussie in Chicagoland (what's all this white stuff?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    I can't see it in the pics. Does this bike have the ability to add a rear rack?
    It does not have threaded holes on the seat stays, however it does have a hole where a V brake would normally go. There are holes in the dropouts, though with disc brakes it's a busy area.

I have a seatpost mounted rack that goes on everything, that's an option if you don't carry a lot of weight.

There are no bosses for a front rack on the fork, there is one hole on the bottom of the fork stem for a fender, though.

Sorry for bad news rack-mounting wise.

mtbr member
    Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

The Mission's just aren't good in snow at all, so most anything would be an upgrade.

For snow you need a more aggressive tread and you would benefit from something with more volume as well. Sadly I don't think the Kenda Juggernaut 4.5 will be out in time for this winter, I think at about 60 bucks a tire that would be a good value match for the Vinson and be a upgrade in both areas. The 4.0 version of that tire probably isn't a huge upgrade over the Missions. The On One floater is another value option that doesn't increase volume much but has more aggressive tread, unfortunately out of stock in the US. I think I'm going with a pair of Showshoe XL's, though I am still concerned about the rear chain clearance (even though earlier in the thread I see pics of Bud/Lou combo, when I look at my bike I only have ~3/8in between the stock tires and chain). The Vee Bulldozer is a bit smaller than the Showshoe/Bud/Lou which would give it more clearance in the rear. In front who cares, anything will fit.

MM bead to bead:

Your Mission Command: 230
    One One floater: 235
    Snowshoe 4.5/4.7: 238
    Vee Bulldozer/KendaJuggernaut4.5/Dillenger 5: 245
    Bud/Lou/Snowshoe xl: 260

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    fatbikenewbie here, sorry if asked previously, just got Vinson, I think I love it! wondering if you think putting on one floaters would greatly improve overall ride. also confused, but wondering what tire gauge and portable tire pump folks suggest, as I do want to start messing with the air pressure. thank you!

mtbr member
    On dirt and snow I'm sure it would. On hard packed trails or roads the Missions' less aggressive tread probably has less rolling resistance. I don't mind the self steer and will probably change back to the Missions in spring. Probably won't buy them again, though.

I have a 1-20psi gauge I got at fleet farm for four bucks. Any gauge will do but one made for this range will be more accurate than a standard 10-50psi gauge. Obviously you need a high volume pump, and really it should have a hose so you don't rip the valve. I have a lezyne sport drive HV, I have a feeling it will probably be 250~300 pumps to get a rideable tire. I doubt my ability to do that many without ripping a valve off with a pump that connects directly to it (without a hose). There are larger HV pumps that cost only a bit more, depends what it's worth to you (both size and money).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    dear bepperb, thanks very much, I think Ill be getting the on one floaters, reviews make them sound like reasonable price performers (yes for winter/snow conditions in nothern illinois), then like you suggest maybe go back to missions in spring. also thanks for lezyne suggestion. I would like to find an accurate 1-30psi gauge to cover all bases. Again really appreciate this forum, as I generally have no idea what Im doing, but LOVE getting out and riding the Vinson! thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I cannot see anyone wanting to put the missions back on Unless the tire they put on to replace it was not great in the first place. I put the bud n bulldozer combo and got rid of the terrible self steer. and gained better ride and less rolling resistance. I was really surprised how well the bud and bulldozer rolled.

mtbr member
    I think the Missions go back on when the 29er comes back out, basically so I don't wear out expensive winter tires for bar hoping and laps around my neighborhood. I don't expect to ride the fatbike seriously when there isn't snow on the ground. Just as summer beaters. I'm generally not too keen to challenge my 7 year old to a long skid mark contest in our driveway. These tires might change that.

Yes, if you're going to ride trails on it year round I'm with you 100%.

I had also considered selling them on ebay and getting something better for summer (4.0 inches and with low rolling resistance)... like the Juggernaut 4.0 or Fat B nimble... I just don't see myself using the bike enough to go through the effort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I think the Missions go back on when the 29er comes back out, basically so I don't wear out expensive winter tires for bar hoping and laps around my neighborhood. I don't expect to ride the fatbike seriously when there isn't snow on the ground. Just as summer beaters. I'm generally not too keen to challenge my 7 year old to a long skid mark contest in our driveway. These tires might change that.

Yes, if you're going to ride trails on it year round I'm with you 100%.

I had also considered selling them on ebay and getting something better for summer (4.0 inches and with low rolling resistance)... like the Juggernaut 4.0 or Fat B nimble... I just don't see myself using the bike enough to go through the effort.
    That makes sense. If you were doing trail you would want something better . but for beating on the missions are perfect

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Bought one after the sale $499.00... nice bike.. some component limitations. seat post odd size 30.6mm. front derailleur only 1 will work correctly alivio fd-410e. all others need a bracket (braze on) bottom bracket spindle length 168mm square taper. Has anyone changed cranksets? for the price okay.... Went to My local Performance bike store they have their branded model ACCESS for 799 on sale much better bike and better specs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Purchased a Vinson for $499 questions and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanrider View Post
    Bought one after the sale $499.00... nice bike.. some component limitations. seat post odd size 30.6mm. front derailleur only 1 will work correctly alivio fd-410e. all others need a bracket (braze on) bottom bracket spindle length 168mm square taper. Has anyone changed cranksets? for the price okay.... Went to My local Performance bike store they have their branded model ACCESS for 799 on sale much better bike and better specs.
    The crankset/front derailleur was a concern to me as well. Curious if anyone has upgraded the crank. The one thing that that the Access does not have is a 190mm rear and the ability to fit 4.7+ tires.

mtbr member
    There's no shortage of 170mm rear bikes in the 800 dollar range. That's not what the Vinson is. It's specd lower (and has a corresponding lower price) and it takes larger tires. This may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want to ride. It would have been nice (and I would have likely bought it) if the Mongoose Argus was readily available... with better groupset and 190 rear end.

Any crank change should be simple since square taper cranks are so readily available. And I do wonder how long a no-name aluminum chainrings are going to last so this might happen sooner than later for some of us. Upgrading to a hollowtech style should be easy, but last I looked the FSA cranks that would work with a 190 rear end were about 160 bucks, which isn't something I'd put on a 500 dollar bike unless it was part of a repair. IMO the crankset isn't the weakest part of this bike, probably the tires -> brakes ->12-32 cassette will be things that need to change.

Why do you think only the one derailleur would fit. Why wouldn't any e type front deraileur work? A clamp type deraileur won't work on most fat bikes, a bb mounted front is a pretty common thing these days. Some fat bikes like the Minnisota's have a tab brazed on the seat tube to accomodate a clamp style derailleur, seems like a less elegant solution to me. And last I read the Minnesota 1.0 didn't have it, so you'd be in the same boat needing an e type derailleur for that if you wanted more than 1x9 gearing.

mtbr member
    For those still interested I took my 'goose on the Triple D poker run last weekend. 10 miles of cornfields and snowmobile trail and 20 miles of gravel roads. Bone stock (even tires) and everything worked great, a bit of cable stretch in the rear derailleur and brake. To be honest I'm surprised nothing is broken. Definitely the only person riding a Mongoose... and to be blunt out of probably 100 fat bikes I only saw one with Vee brand tires. Everything else shod with 45nrth or Surly. The missions were a safety hazard on some of the faster downhill sections, though I actually thought they did really well on the gravel road portion. Rode with a Salsa and a 29er, the Salsa had better tires and could outhandle me in some of the snow. 29er wasn't even close. Which is good, I had considered bringing mine and made the right choice. There's no replacement for displacement on snow.

Total of about 100 miles on it, probably 20 of single track, 20 of snow and 60 of roads... and the bike has held up well.

That's it, though, as far as stock goes for me. I'll probably start tear down tonight if you have any questions on how to remove something let me know and I'll take some pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I guess I'm ready to give an update also. I've got about 100 miles on mine, mostly dry to slushy roads, a little snowy singletrack too. I still am very happy with my purchase. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the crank was no-name. I think it is a Shimano crankset based on the 22/30/40 gearing and the striking similarity to the brand new Deore M612 crank I installed on my Yelli a few days ago. Alivio FD is quite serviceable for this application and I've ridden Alivio 3x9 in some fairly rough conditions on my previous MTB. Yes the tires/tubes are cheap. Yes the brakes could use an upgrade at some point. The saddle is a bit of and a_s_s_hatchet. The X4 3x8 is fine for most people. I plan on racing a couple times with it in the next few weeks to see how it will work for the Birkie. I might steal the X5 10 speed shifter, X9 RD, cassette, and chain off my summer commuter if I feel I need 4 more teeth for climbing.

as for the tires, I've been playing with pressures a lot. I have a large dial low pressure gauge I use for drag racing. It is fairly accurate. I cannot get rid of the auto steer without jacking the air pressure way up. Once the front tire gets to 5.25 psi you have to hold on to the handlebars firmly and be on your toes. I've tried more air in back, less air in back all it does is make it harder to pedal. I haven't noticed much traction difference until the rear gets down to about 4.5psi. All of this low pressure fun also comes with the fantastic tube rub noise which you can't really hear over the howl of the tread and heavy breathing.

So to summarize, Love the bike - hate the tires.

mtbr member
    That's awesome someone else will be at the Birkie with a Vinson, I will as well.

I might be hard to find though, as frame is stripped and raw aluminum now. Assembly/disassembly was as basic as it gets. Frame with only headset cups was under 5lbs. Fork was light and has aluminum steerer, too. Only real letdowns were the bottom bracket is pretty heavy (as would be expected of a square taper this size) and has no protection for the bearings, which aren't replaceable even though they are standard 6002rs size. IIRC it was 390 grams without bolts. The x4 derailleur has steel cage and steel bushings which aren't great for a winter bike. Not dissapointed enough with those two things to do any proactive replacement. Despite reports of Dolomites starved of grease that was not the case with any part of my Vinson. The pics of the Mongoose Argus had a gusseted frame, my bike doesn't have gussets. Otherwise this is a nice frame that could be built into anything, I don't see why this couldn't weigh 30 lbs if you spent enough on upgrades (I'm not advising that).

My rear brakes seem to have broken in nicely and have B for power and A- for modulation. My fronts have not and are terrible in both regards. I might take my rotor to some glass/sandpaper and see if that's the problem. I find it hard to believe any grease wouldn't have been burned off by miles of wet gravel spray. So we're on a wait-and-see if I keep them.

OnOne Floater tires and new tubes arrive Monday, but bike is back together and made it around the house yesterday (always interesting to disassemble/reassemble and see what is tweaked, but in my case even the derailleur's didn't need any adjustment).

Still, with a total of 499 for bike, 105 for tires and 14 for Aircraft Remover this bike is a fantastic value. Even though it is very easy to work on I've really only recommended it to people with bicycling experience, though I'd never recommend a mail order/dept store bike to anyone who doesn't wrench proficiently. It would be great for someone to learn on, or for a second/wife's fatbike for an experienced rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    for those interested or on the fence - today only - Sports Authority 15% off all bikes and free shipping - puts this at $492.99 to your door (may inc tax if you live in a state with a store)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How was the Poker Run? It looked much soupier then last year, where I struggled riding a standard 29'er HT. Couldn't make it this year unfortunately. I was wondering how a fatty would fare in the conditions on the 18th. Love to hear the details.

mtbr member

mongoose Vinson

This is what I think about for some reason when I think about the vinson. I definitely would like to see one in person because for $500 it's looks decent.

Lol

mtbr member
    Triple D poker run was great. You're right, it was a wet muddy mess. Did the offroad between the start and Junction 21 and there wasn't enough snow... so everything got muddy and full of cowpie. By the end I think we had 1 of 6 derailleurs working, though with a spray of water that improved somewhat. From there the gravel roads were actually great between some of the poker stops. I think people who only did gravel roads to the stops had a really easy day. The Heritage trail, though, was about 1/2" of standing water. Despite waterproof tops, pants, boots within two miles everything was soaked. Durango Depot was a mess of soaking wet bikers and runners. Fortunately it was warm enough to not be miserable.

I don't think equipment quality had anything to do with it, there way no way to stay dry and at some point enough mud will slow any drivetrain. But, we had a 29er in our group and he was struggling pretty often. My 29er is much nicer than my fatbike, but it would have been a huge mistake to bring it unless you did no offroad, and even then the fatbike was an advantage on the heritage trail portion.

We kinda had to do the poker run due to the Packer game. Hopefully next year I can do the entire ride. 35 vs 67 miles is a lot, but I also sat and drank beer for 4 hours watching football.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    This is what I think about for some reason when I think about the vinson. I definitely would like to see one in person because for $500 it's looks decent.

Lol

If you think a BD is a rung up in quality I'd disagree. And this is coming from someone who's very happy with a Gravity 29er and looked to BD for a fatbike first. It was between this an a Boris for me, the winner should be obvious.

To be honest all the Fatbike people are just pretty happy to be out riding and nobody riding on a trail is going to care. The only people that were a bit frustrating were casual riders, snowshoers, people walking dogs that were interested in getting one for casual snow riding if they could do it cheap and when I'd go into the whole (no, not walmart but sports authority and you need new tires.. blah... blah) it got a bit old. If I didn't enjoy talking to people (and a fatbike does get a lot of attention) it wouldn't be an issue at all.

I didn't have a beef with the paint or graphics I've just always wanted a raw aluminum bike. I have a Trek in just clear that I think looks great. I didn't think the white/orange/blue was for me. But this is a YMMV sort of thing. The Vinson in raw looks awesome but it does take some time to get there. I wouldn't consider it work, though others might.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

vinson stand over

What's the stand over on the vinson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGT View Post
    What's the stand over on the vinson?
    I'm sorry, being tall that isn't something I pay much attention to when I look at bikes and so I don't really know how to measure the standover on a sloped tube. Even Sheldon Brown didn't help much. So, at the seattube toptube intersection it's 27.5in at the top of the top tube. Up at the head tube top tube intersection it's 35.5 at the top of the top tube. So I don't know, average that?

Keep in mind this is with stock tires. Larger tires could increase that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just bought a Vinson online from Sport Authority. $470 delivered, I'm pretty stoked. Ever since I knew I was moving to Madison, I've been thinking about adding a fatty to the quiver. I'm going to have a lot of trouble not adding a bunch of high buck parts to this bike. At the moment I am looking for some tire guidance perhaps tubeless info and a confirmation about the seatpost diameter.

I understand the stock Missions are kind of useless in the snow. There are some fairly inexpensive option out there, I can get a pair of Devist-8er ULs for ~$105 some wire bead (I hate wire bead) Panaracers for $80 or so, Snowshoes (not XLs), or maybe I can score some Floaters (though they are never in stock). Are any of these decent enough for some experimental snow rides? Has anyone tried split tub tubeless with these?

Also is the seatpost really 30.6mm? I have a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece sitting in a bin, I'd love to use it.

mtbr member
    I'm torn between the Vinson and a bikes direct bike. With the sports authority sale going on right now I can get it for $470 after sales tax and shipping. At the bottom of the home page you can sign up to get their emails and get an additional 10% off. Plus they have the 15% off with free shipping. Tough call...I'm between that or the gravity bullseye monster. Huge difference in rim size but other than that not much difference...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I just bought a Vinson online from Sport Authority. $470 delivered, I'm pretty stoked. Ever since I knew I was moving to Madison, I've been thinking about adding a fatty to the quiver. I'm going to have a lot of trouble not adding a bunch of high buck parts to this bike. At the moment I am looking for some tire guidance perhaps tubeless info and a confirmation about the seatpost diameter.

I understand the stock Missions are kind of useless in the snow. There are some fairly inexpensive option out there, I can get a pair of Devist-8er ULs for ~$105 some wire bead (I hate wire bead) Panaracers for $80 or so, Snowshoes (not XLs), or maybe I can score some Floaters (though they are never in stock). Are any of these decent enough for some experimental snow rides? Has anyone tried split tub tubeless with these?

Also is the seatpost really 30.6mm? I have a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece sitting in a bin, I'd love to use it.
    First thing first, the seatpost really is 30.6mm. I didn't measure it, but it has that stamped on it.

As for tires, the stock mission controls are not terrible on a gravel road. They aren't for snow. The tires you mention aren't great either, the Panaracers are the lowest volume tire (217mm bead to bead and 3mm nubs) and Devist-8er's aren't a quality improvement either. Look at some 60tpi Nates, wait for the Floaters (mine come in on Monday) or spend the extra on something really good. I wouldn't buy the regular size snowshoe, the Bulldozer for just a bit more might work. Keep in mind a 5" tire will fit up front no problem. Maybe keep an eye on craigslist for a Bud or BFL or a used Nate (though ideally not the 27tpi version).

Sorry, not tubeless here.

If you really are going to throw high buck parts at it start with tires and brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I'm torn between the Vinson and a bikes direct bike. With the sports authority sale going on right now I can get it for $470 after sales tax and shipping. At the bottom of the home page you can sign up to get their emails and get an additional 10% off. Plus they have the 15% off with free shipping. Tough call...I'm between that or the gravity bullseye monster. Huge difference in rim size but other than that not much difference...
    I'd agree, quality and spec wise they are similar but with a big difference in rim size. On the Vinson 100mm wheels the 4" mission controls only go about 3mm past the rim, there is no going smaller with these. If you go with the bullseye monster you probably can't go past the 4" tires to the next tier (BFL, Bulldozer, juggernaut 4.5.... etc). I think the BD would be better for year round mountain bike and the Vinson for a winter only ride. Another consideration might be your weight (and required tire volume). Have you considered the Boris X5?

Any which way you do it just get something and ride. It'll be Feb before you're on the trails now, every day you wait is wasted.

mtbr member
    I'd agree, quality and spec wise they are similar but with a big difference in rim size. On the Vinson 100mm wheels the 4" mission controls only go about 3mm past the rim, there is no going smaller with these. If you go with the bullseye monster you probably can't go past the 4" tires to the next tier (BFL, Bulldozer, juggernaut 4.5.... etc). I think the BD would be better for year round mountain bike and the Vinson for a winter only ride. Another consideration might be your weight (and required tire volume). Have you considered the Boris X5?

Any which way you do it just get something and ride. It'll be Feb before you're on the trails now, every day you wait is wasted.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a small guy @ 5'-11" 220lbs. I checked out he Boris X5 too and it's definitely in the running. I have no intentions to make this a snow only bike, so I don't think that I'll "need" to go bigger than 4" tires. I live in central PA and our typical snowfalls are 2-4" at a time, we do have some larger storms but they're maybe 1 a season. My other bike is a 140mm trail bike and I feel like it's overkill for some hardpack/flow trails in the summer so I intend on riding the fat then.

The Boris X9 looks solid and seems to be the bike where you start to get into some nicer components (x7/x9/x5 cranks/bb7), but if I get to that price point I'm tempted to spend the extra $200 and get a monster pro with Bluto. So I basically have no idea what to do and no chance at riding/touching any of the bikes. I think if I had the bikes in front of me I could pick one in about 30 minutes. Decisions decisions....

I also don't feel like I'm in too much of a rush since I'm planning on riding the bike in all conditions. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but I'd say my realistic budget without really pushing the envelope with my wife is about $700. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here since there are so many options and I assume a lot of people looking at these budget fatbike threads are fighting the same fight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a small guy @ 5'-11" 220lbs. I checked out he Boris X5 too and it's definitely in the running. I have no intentions to make this a snow only bike, so I don't think that I'll "need" to go bigger than 4" tires. I live in central PA and our typical snowfalls are 2-4" at a time, we do have some larger storms but they're maybe 1 a season. My other bike is a 140mm trail bike and I feel like it's overkill for some hardpack/flow trails in the summer so I intend on riding the fat then.

The Boris X9 looks solid and seems to be the bike where you start to get into some nicer components (x7/x9/x5 cranks/bb7), but if I get to that price point I'm tempted to spend the extra $200 and get a monster pro with Bluto. So I basically have no idea what to do and no chance at riding/touching any of the bikes. I think if I had the bikes in front of me I could pick one in about 30 minutes. Decisions decisions....

I also don't feel like I'm in too much of a rush since I'm planning on riding the bike in all conditions. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but I'd say my realistic budget without really pushing the envelope with my wife is about $700. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here since there are so many options and I assume a lot of people looking at these budget fatbike threads are fighting the same fight!
    One thing to consider with your height is the Vinson is a "one size fits all" - Medium. At least with a BD offering you can pick a size.

I bought one of the Vinsons as a gift for my uncle. I agree that the stock tires are worthless. The brake levers are garbage, so spend $15 for a pair of Avid levers. Finally, the SRAM X4 derailleur will also work, but it has steel parts which may rust over time.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Could someone who has the Vinson measure the seat tube? I measured all the tubes and angles in Photoshop, but I need an absolute length to calibrate those measurements. Once I have that, I can post up the geometry, since I haven't been able to find any info on the geometry. Also, if you do measure the seat tube length, can you let me know if it is center-to-center or top to center? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If anyone wishes to sell their stock Vee Missions tires , send me a PM on how much you want for the pair , shipped to Arkansas . I want to put them on my Dolomite. If the price is right, I can pay thru pay-pal and save you the time of listing on ebay and paying their 13% fees.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Could someone who has the Vinson measure the seat tube? I measured all the tubes and angles in Photoshop, but I need an absolute length to calibrate those measurements. Once I have that, I can post up the geometry, since I haven't been able to find any info on the geometry. Also, if you do measure the seat tube length, can you let me know if it is center-to-center or top to center? Thanks!
    70hta
    73 sta
    610mm horizontal top tube
    587mm actual top tube
    432mm seat tube canter to top, -50mm center to center
    135mm headtube
    462mm axle to crown
    45mm rake
    1142 wheel base
    60mm bb drop
    473mm chainstay
    SR Suntour

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for one-upping me, skota!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ha, saved you some work
    SR Suntour

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

on one floaters comment

Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    ha, saved you some work
    Dear bepperb, thanks so much for all your comments, very much appreciated by this newbie! anyway, just had my local bike shop install a pair of on one floaters on my Vinson today after less than 20 miles on the missions. (as mentioned, missions a bit squirrely in snow). I watched LBS install and they did mention on one's seemed not as wide as ideal prior to filling with air on the 100mm rims, and had to add a bit of soap to get proper tire depth all around rim. LBS filled to 20psi and said all was good and seated fine. I cant wait to try them out, but most snow has melted in Chicago area, Ill just ride around town. thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Raw frame photos

That's awesome someone else will be at the Birkie with a Vinson, I will as well.

I might be hard to find though, as frame is stripped and raw aluminum now. Assembly/disassembly was as basic as it gets. Frame with only headset cups was under 5lbs. Fork was light and has aluminum steerer, too. Only real letdowns were the bottom bracket is pretty heavy (as would be expected of a square taper this size) and has no protection for the bearings, which aren't replaceable even though they are standard 6002rs size. IIRC it was 390 grams without bolts. The x4 derailleur has steel cage and steel bushings which aren't great for a winter bike. Not dissapointed enough with those two things to do any proactive replacement. Despite reports of Dolomites starved of grease that was not the case with any part of my Vinson. The pics of the Mongoose Argus had a gusseted frame, my bike doesn't have gussets. Otherwise this is a nice frame that could be built into anything, I don't see why this couldn't weigh 30 lbs if you spent enough on upgrades (I'm not advising that).

My rear brakes seem to have broken in nicely and have B for power and A- for modulation. My fronts have not and are terrible in both regards. I might take my rotor to some glass/sandpaper and see if that's the problem. I find it hard to believe any grease wouldn't have been burned off by miles of wet gravel spray. So we're on a wait-and-see if I keep them.

OnOne Floater tires and new tubes arrive Monday, but bike is back together and made it around the house yesterday (always interesting to disassemble/reassemble and see what is tweaked, but in my case even the derailleur's didn't need any adjustment).

Still, with a total of 499 for bike, 105 for tires and 14 for Aircraft Remover this bike is a fantastic value. Even though it is very easy to work on I've really only recommended it to people with bicycling experience, though I'd never recommend a mail order/dept store bike to anyone who doesn't wrench proficiently. It would be great for someone to learn on, or for a second/wife's fatbike for an experienced rider.
    Can you post some photos of that raw frame Vinson? Sounds cool! I've got a Specialized M2 from the 90s that is a raw frame and I like the look a lot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    For anyone that is looking for fat bike tires and their weights, heres a link that may help you.

Tire Weights for Fat-Bikes | FAT-BIKE.COM

This would be nice to have a website that also lists the fatbike tubes and their weights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Will the Argus ever be available? Where will it be sold? Medium Vinson is too small!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman93 View Post
    Will the Argus ever be available? Where will it be sold? Medium Vinson is too small!
    The Argus is coming. I rode two of them this past weekend and man, here's the deal. The Argus has better welds, and much nicer components over the Vinson, which was really well thought out. The Argus will come in at $999 and it's worth every penny. The Vinson is still a solid bike, but the components on the Argus are just nicer.

Either bike gets you in the game, but the Argus will be a world beater when people see what it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I like what I've seen of the Argus online so far. Wonder if it will be sold at Sports Authority, *****, and MC Sports like the Vinson? I'm guessing there will be plenty of sale opportunities at those retailers, so maybe....$750-$900.

mtbr member

Raw Aluminum Mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by jfaust97 View Post
    Can you post some photos of that raw frame Vinson? Sounds cool! I've got a Specialized M2 from the 90s that is a raw frame and I like the look a lot!
    Sure. This is the first bike I've had that was a good candidate, though I have another that is mostly silver aluminum with clear. If I did this again it would be a lot easier in summer when a pressure washer is available, doubt I'd do it in the garage again:

mongoose Vinson-img_20150122_073755.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_20150122_073612.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_20150119_191648.jpg

Sorry, should be action shots of me jumping a bengal tire with a topless chick on the rack, but my rack is seatpost mounted... can't handle the weight... these will have to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you have mounting points in the drop out area you can use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Clamp-l...sin=B001V537I0

I use one on my Chiner 29er commuter and it works really well. I use the Topeak Voyager for disk brakes with Ortlieb panniers and everything has help up. I immagine this setup would work on the Vinson.

I'll know better when mine arrives.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm sorry, being tall that isn't something I pay much attention to when I look at bikes and so I don't really know how to measure the standover on a sloped tube. Even Sheldon Brown didn't help much. So, at the seattube toptube intersection it's 27.5in at the top of the top tube. Up at the head tube top tube intersection it's 35.5 at the top of the top tube. So I don't know, average that?

Keep in mind this is with stock tires. Larger tires could increase that.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Been lurking for months and months....and figured it was worthy of my first post

Just scored a vinson from sports authority delivered after all rebates and discounts $405 plus tax figured at that price couldn't go wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerko View Post
    Been lurking for months and months....and figured it was worthy of my first post

Just scored a vinson from sports authority delivered after all rebates and discounts $405 plus tax figured at that price couldn't go wrong
    How did you manage that?
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sure. This is the first bike I've had that was a good candidate, though I have another that is mostly silver aluminum with clear. If I did this again it would be a lot easier in summer when a pressure washer is available, doubt I'd do it in the garage again:
    Looks great!
    What did you use to strip the paint?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    How did you manage that?
    Sports authority free shipping 15% off sale 10% for signing up for something and a few discounts from ebates that added up to another 6-7% ( need to thank my wife for that)

Went riding here on Long Island yesterday on my 29er ... The slushy chunky mix was tuff hopefully this bikes floats over it. a lot of people talk about how awfully the tires are what's the consensus on best up grade for the buck?

mtbr member
    It took a can and a half of Rustoleum "aircraft remover" in a rattle can from Menards. You can probably find "aircraft stripper" anywhere that will do the job. I did remove everything from the frame except the headset cups (which were pressed in and not easy to remove). The disassembly takes longer than the paint removal.

Search the forum for "raw aluminum" and you can read for days, I'm far from the first person to do this. But, you don't see many raw fat bikes since it takes a special kind of person to take a new bike and strip it, this is generally something you do with a bike with totally trashed paint.

mtbr member
    Sports authority free shipping 15% off sale 10% for signing up for something and a few discounts from ebates that added up to another 6-7% ( need to thank my wife for that)

Went riding here on Long Island yesterday on my 29er ... The slushy chunky mix was tuff hopefully this bikes floats over it. a lot of people talk about how awfully the tires are what's the consensus on best up grade for the buck?
    If you can get them the OnOne floaters can be had from the US planet x site for 105 a pair. Another good option will be the Kenda Juggernaut 4.5, which won't be out until mid March, but around 65 bucks a tire. The Juggernaut 4.0 is out now, probably not a good snow tire (2 and 3mm lugs vs 5 and 6mm lugs on the 4.5). IMO the Fat B Nimble is probably too small for the 100mm rims. That's about it for good, cheap fat tires (for now). My Floaters arrive today, 105 for the pair (shipped) and I can probably sell the missions for 50/pair, so it's a pretty easy decision to make.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Wow, that's a good price! Cheaper than black Friday price. It might be worth buying at that price. Anyone 6'3" ride one of these Medium frames? It's quite a bit smaller than my XL 29er mountain bike frame. Wish they had at least a 19 inch frame size with a 24.5 inch ETT. I guess a really long stem and layback seat post could help.

mtbr member
    I rode my Dads after I built it. Fit me fine. I think a stem and handlebar change is all you would need. I took it home and built it myself on black friday.
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    My friend bought a vinson two months ago and he put it thru the ringer .he bashes stuff and doesn't care.the only thing that broke on the vinson so far is one brake lever and he rides it a lot.I got to ride it and I liked it so I just bought one from the sports authority via ebay last week should be here tomorrow. 490.00 and some change total. there are just a few things Ill change like the not so good brake levers, stem, its too long for me saddle, riser bars and seatpost.any advice on the seatpost as only bbb uk brand post ,Thomson ,and kalloy uno is available for odd size of 30.6 seatpost ? are shims safe to convert to a normal size ? sorry to ramble on but what is the seat post clamp collar size as I want a fixed one not quick release.also why no respect from bike magazines for this super valued sleeper of a great fat bike. you only see mongoose argus articles. love the custom raw framed vinson ! thanks.

mtbr member
    The seatpost clamp is labeled 35 but 34.9 is a standard size I'm sure will fit. For the post you might consider a shim, they have a lip and I don't see any safety issue, epecially if you're using a non qur clamp. I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of money on a seatpost unless you're getting a suspension post. For weight reduction there are a lot of other places to look first.

I still haven't done anything about the brakes, debating between new levers or just new everything, since there isn't a huge difference in price.

Put the On One Floaters last night, difference in traction is night and day. That should be your first upgrade, IMO, unless you ride gravel roads or all hardpack.

mtbr member
    thanks for your time and help. tires will also be on my list .

mtbr member

mongoose vinson just dropped off by ups

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    thanks for your time and help. tires will also be on my list .
    the vinson just got here .slapped it together to get it out of the way .Ill adjust everything and might get to ride it later.under the bike are some upgrades so far to put on still waiting for wtb saddle, ritchey seatpost, seatpost shim,seatpost clamp and 80 mm ritchey stem.I have had some bikes in all my years but this bike by far is the best bang for the buck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-872.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-884.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Mine is supposed to arrive today. Quite stoked. I will weigh a few parts as a I substitute. Hopefully split tube tubeless with the HuDus.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Sent you a message, I have all those coupons but can't get them to stack, think you can help a fat and broke brother out? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CruJonez View Post
    Sent you a message, I have all those coupons but can't get them to stack, think you can help a fat and broke brother out? Thanks
    Ok.... Asked the boss how she did it
    15% from sports authority
    Google sports authority promo codes, might have to try a few different ones
    Join ebates and get additional cash back

HTH
    Should have my vinson tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I swapped tires on the rims last night. I weighed everything and will post numbers later. I'm going to try to do a tubeless conversion, but the rim bead shape does not look like it lends itself to tubeless. The new tires did not "POP" onto the beads when I put tubes in to stretch them out. I also converted to 10 speed, put some Velo Orange Casey's Crazy bars on, and added a pdw Mud Shovel front fender. I'll get everything buttoned up soon and give a ride report on the new Bulldozer tires and post pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Started putting mine together last night. My 24" tubes were too narrow for tubeless. I ordered some wider tubes, I'll probably get them next week. Also the seatpost is too short as is on of my brakelines (I'm using soem exlixir CRs I had laying around).

I did manage to mount the HuDus and get alot of other stuff done. Should eb good for a ride by Saturday AM.

mtbr member
    slowride that sounds great.

I'm trying to keep up, OnOne Floaters installed which required soapy water and still aren't seated 100%. Ibera large frame bag from Amazon (barely fits, or fits perfect IMO). Waiting on brake levers and parts for fork mounted bottle cage. Drivetrain improvements will probably wait until crankset or BB wear out... or prices of 1x fat cranks come way down. The 40t chainring is absurd on this bike. Single 24 /26 front with 11/36 in back sounds great to me.

mongoose Vinson-img_20150128_181729a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'd like to see if I could find chainrings to run 20/28/36 up front with the 11-36 in back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm thinking bash guard. I've had bad run ins with the big ring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

1 x 10

I'm thinking bash guard. I've had bad run ins with the big ring.
    I think I my go 1 x 10 with shimano XT stuff I have on hand. I think a 30t with a 64 bcd chainring mounted in the middle Absoluteblack - Sram Spiderless, Oval chainrings and more would be perfect with a 11 x 36t cassette.

But for tires I cannot seem to decide. Foaters, h-billie, dillinger, snowshoe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was supposed to race on Saturday, but family obligations will now prevent that. Maybe I can get out on Sunday so I can give a proper review of the Vee Bulldozers, brake lever upgrade, and 8X to 10X conversion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I might get to race tomorrow, but I broke a cardinal sin last night. I changed the drivetrain to 10x right before a race. The shifting up front is very hard to fine tune with the 8x FD. I adjusted the cage, limits, cable tension, you name it. It still is not optimal, so I'll be picking up an XT 3x10 e-type FD in a few hours. I'll get a new chain too, since the one I was working with last night had seen better days on my CX bike. The bike looks much more aggressive with the Bulldozers mounted up. I'll try to remember to post pics and some of the component weights soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice upgrades Slowride454!
    SR Suntour

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    First post here. Just ordered a Vinson. Sports authority has free shipping and 15% off $579 price until midnight tonight. $492.99

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Finally finished my build (at least for the moment)

I added quite a few new things. X-9 triggers and rear der (Pretty much on it's last legs though) elixir CR brakes. New bars and seatpost, Charge Spoon saddle and a used set of HuDus. The weight is at 33lbs 11oz. The front triple is, as others have noted, worthless. I ill never use the 40 and might not use the 20. But the BCD is non-standard and there are really no bash guards available. I would love a blue Raceface turbine.

mongoose Vinson-p1000646.jpg

I took it out for a ride today with my 9 year old daughter. After I put more air in the HuDus to get rid of self steer. the ride was nice. We rode behind the local school in a snowy area traction was abundant but not as spectacular as I expected. I think the sweet spot for pressure has not been achieved.

mtbr member
    are the hubs sealed on these bikes? do they sell small then 18inch size?
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Loose bearing hubs 1 size fits all

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I probably just missed it, but has anyone taken one of these on some single track (either snow or dirt)? How've the been holding up?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Have about 200 miles on mine, about half singletrack the rest on snowcovered roads. 24 miles Friday all singletrack. I've been pretty hard on it but it's holding up well. Bent the seatpost clamp lever being an idiot and replaced it. Re-greased rear hub after it felt gravelly and drive side had some dirt/mud in it. It might have been fully submerged at one point... but nondrive side grease was still clear. I assume some dirt just made it past the seal and will keep an eye on it. Standard cup and cone so rebuild took all of 15 minutes. Replaced the balls on that side since I had some handy.

All in all it's held up pretty well, IMO.mongoose Vinson-img_20150130_110343%5B1%5D.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_20150130_111117%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Awesome. Really think I'm gonna pick one up. That frame bag looks like it fit's perfectly!

Funny you mention the hubs, I just noticed the fact that they are loose ball. You're right, shouldn't be bad at all to service them when needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any Luck converting to tubeless? i tried with the original tires with no luck . I now have a bud in front and a bulldozer in the back and have not had time to try. Tires are loose on these rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I haven't tried yet. I taped them up and put the Bulldozers on with tubes for now. The tires were very loose and I did not get any pop or indication the bead seated solidly. I'm not looking forward to taking the tubes out and making a big mess with Stan's juice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm hoping to try with split tubes this weekend. Additional parts are on their way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm hoping to try with split tubes this weekend. Additional parts are on their way.
    Great let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I got some bulldozers coming.How are the stock tubes?Are there tubes for tires over 4 wide

mtbr member
    Stock tubes will work on your bulldozers no problem. 4" tubes are no problem in a 4.5/4.7/4.8 tire. I'm running 3.5" tubes in my 4" floaters but they only saved me IIRC 40 grams, not worth it. I didn't want smaller tubes like qtubes or bontrager 2.7 because then you can't patch, but that's also an option to save weight. Tubes stretch to whatever tire they are in, the only real issue is patches don't (and I suppose if you push it too far it will split on a seam, though I haven't seen it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I still have the stock tubes. My guess is they are heavy, plus I am not fan of schraeder valves.

I was perusing cranks on ebay, but I am quite leery about fit. There are some raceface ride cranks pretty cheap, but they don't include the bottom bracket, or likely spacers. The seller says they'll fit both 170 and 190 but I have serious doubts. Besides, I've likely dumped too much money into this bike already ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have a feeling for what hanger works on this bike. I always like to have a spare around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bah! So after finally reading the 'entire' thread, I see that 4.7/8 is just a bit tight in the back.

I'm not crazy about 4" tires on 100mm rims, but it can't be that bad.

Now to see if I can track down some used Larry's (for pavement).
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-04-2015 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    You guys mentioned tires being loose on the rims has me kinda worried. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when they get here.Any tips,this will be my first time swapping tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Bah! So after finally reading the 'entire' thread, I see that 4.7/8 is just a bit tight in the back.

I'm not crazy about 4" tires on 100mm rims, but it can't be that bad.

Now to see if I can track down some used Larry's (for pavement).
    Where did you get that idea? If anything 4.8 would be tight with the chain it would fit the frame no problem. But 4.7 all day. Get big fat larrys on both wheels if you want. Fwiw I have 3/8 between the chain and 4in floater in lowest gear.

mtbr member
    I got one of the cheapest ones on ebay, looks like a match. I'll try this weekend and post a link if its a go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So it looks like the bud fits all around sorry it took so long guys this week sucked, thanks for your patience. There is no rub in the big cog and little chainring but I'll have to say it's pretty close maybe two millimeters
    Here. Not saying it won't fit in the frame, it's the chain rub that scares me. If you think they'll fit fine, I'll be picking some up. I'd love to try a 5" tire, I've only ever ridden 4. But I've never been that close to the chain before.

FWIW, I just bought the bike and some extras, but not tires yet

mtbr member
    Yes, when you look at that pic it's enough clearance I'd run it, but I can see how it would make some uncomfortable. You really do need the 22x32 lowest gearing (at least I do*) and that will be especially true with the larger diameter tire/wheel combo making your effective gearing taller. So if you're going to 260mm bead to bead tires (currently Bud, Lou, Snowshoe XL) at least consider the fact you might need to lose the 12t ring in back and slide everything over or do some other drivetrain change to get additional clearance if you have issues with mud, or go tubeless and the tire grows, or you run really low pressures and the flex of the tire causes tire/chain interference... etc. But compared to most bikes this tire situation isn't a big deal. It's not like you are cutting off tread blocks, losing the front granny or anything to make it work.

Also, consider you options in "5 inch tires" and go down one rung

260mm bead to bead (Bud, Lou, Snowshoe XL)
    245mm bead to bead (Big Fat Larry, Dillinger 5, Bulldozer, Kenda Juggernaut 4.5**)
    240mm (Spec Ground Controls, SnowShoe 4.5/4.7)

I will say my 235mm Floaters have so much room it's a non issue, I can't imagine a 245mm tire being even close.

* Actually I'm converting over to 9 speed this weekend to get 28-32-36t cassette in back. That's why I'll have a chance to test my 99 cent replacement hanger and let people know if it's a fit.... and also how the stock front/rear dearailleur do with a 9 speed chain.... and hopefully how much better this bike looks with the useless big ring removed from the crank.

** Not available until 3/5/2015 but looks awesome. 5mm/6mm tread blocks on a large volume tire for under 70 bucks. Wire bead is a downer, but for me weight isn't a critical factor on this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hmmm... Looks like the Surly charts say that BFL measures out 7mm narrower at the casing than Lou (114 vs 121). That'd give me an extra 3.5mm clearance at the chain which should probably be plenty.

I was going to go tubeless, but I've never measured my tires before and after. How much width would that add?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Okay, I finally finished the drivetrain conversion to 10x. With the Bulldozer and stock 3x8 drivetrain I had plenty of chain clearance. The Bulldozers measure 115mm at the casing and 111.5mm at the knobs on the stock 100mm rims at 15psi.

I converted the rear by using a SRAM PG1030 11-36 cassette and SRAM X9 RD, and switched to a SRAM X5 shifter. All of these parts came off my summer commuter.

I could not get the Alivio 8 speed FD to shift the way I wanted with a 10 speed chain, no matter how much I tweaked the cage width and messed with the adjustments. I picked up a 3x10 Shimano Deore XT E-type FD and tried it. This frame does not have the additional mounting tab/boss for an E-type FD. The way Mongoose does it with the stock drivetrain is with a slot cut in the BB shell to prevent rotation of the FD and the Alivio E-type bracket is pretty stout. The XT bracket was flimsy and moved around way too much. I was unable to get shifting consistent. I returned the XT FD and picked up a Problem Solvers direct mount bracket. I had a SRAM 3x10 X7 direct mount FD laying around, so I finished the job last night.

The stock E-type FD setup essentially adds 0.200" of crank spacers to the drive side. With the direct FD mount bracket to can't use any spacers or you will not have enough travel in the FD to get into the big ring. So after trying many different combinations and taking the cranks and BB out a dozen or more times I did get everything working very smoothly. I had to remove all spacers from the drive side. Now with the chain in the 22-36 gear combination I have almost zero clearance between the chain and the Bulldozer at 15psi on the stock wheels. In all other gear combinations the clearance is adequate. The chain is a SRAM PC1031.

If you have no intention of using the big ring, then you can put 0.200” worth of spacers on the drive side and adjust the limits of the FD accordingly. I tested this out just in case I decide to lose the 40T and put a bashguard on in the future. There was plenty of chain clearance.

I changed out the cockpit a little by switching my handlebars and brake levers. I went with Velo Orange Casey’s Crazy bars, SPANK grips and Deda bartape. The Avid Speed Dial levers and bars again came off my summer commuter and have worked flawlessly with Avid BB7s before. The braking performance has improved greatly with the new levers. My next braking upgrade will be new cables. In fact, one of the first upgrades I would recommend for this bike is to replace all of the cables(shifter and brakes) for “good” ones. At $3-$4 a piece they are inexpensive and make a real impact on performance.

I also added a pdw Mud Shovel front fender and a Topeak rear fender. The rear braze-ons are in the wrong location for adding a rack with the disc brake caliper. I used a Toba Reid rear rack and stretched it out enough to clear the tire, then used a couple rubber coated clamps on the seatstays. For the front I used a regular old hose clamp to attach to the seatpost.

I still have to find an appropriate saddle and frame bag for long distance adventure epic rides(and a way to keep my toes warm).

I plan on racing this weekend in Door County, so I’ll give a real world performance report next week.

mtbr member
    You really shouldn't be considering the BFL and Lou together, they are night and day in application. If you want a slightly narrower tire with the traction of a Lou get a Bulldozer instead. If you want a big easy rolling tire that isn't full of traction that's the BFL, but the Lou and Bulldozer are going to have more traction and more rolling resistance. If you want to stay Surly at least consider waiting for the Big Fat Knard, though I'm not sure how close that is.

I think there is a bit of extra stretch in a tubeless, but another concern is that when the tire flexes outward where it hits the ground this bulge goes up to the lower point of tire/chain interference. Keep in mind Vinson (and Badger Fattywompus with what looks like the same rims) tubelessness isn't a perfected science.

We're kinda running out of winter here. If you have time another option would be to buy your 5" front tire, fit it in back and decide from there.

Slowride I think has a better plan than I do. Get whatever tires you want, if you need more chainline clearance take the BB out and add a spacer in. I don't see why any 68/73mm BB spacer woudln't fit right in, and one spacer/one mm at a time you can move the whole drivetrain over. Having had my BB out when I stripped the frame there are plenty of threads but only one spacer as part of the front derailleur bracket. Sadly there is not a non-drive spacer to just slide over, you'll have to buy one, though any standard ebay spacer I think would work.

With the 40 tooth chainring so unnecessary I might consider this just to straighten out my chainline on the mainly used chainrings. I did 24 miles last Friday entirely on the 22t ring, seems that should have the "best" chainline possible.

Light freak
    subscribed to this thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    bepperb,

I'm not wanting to run the Lou and Larry together. I'm just using the Lou on this thread as a reference.

I'll be doing a lot of mixed pavement riding along with dirt, but would still like to run the 5" tires if possible. Since the Larry's are an easy rolling tire, that's what I'm wanting to run both front and rear.

mtbr member
    The larry's would probably be awesome for that use. There aren't a lot of really big not-super-aggressive tread tires. You might also look at these, if you can get them. Or the big knard when it comes out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/cha...ew-940419.html

Best part with the BFL is you can probaby find a used set if you want. And they look and measure a lot smaller than a Lou, they will just fit right on the Vinson with no mods at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Rock on! Found some BFL Ultralights that were takeoffs at 2 for the price of 1. Super excited about this bike! Good thought on using shims to space out the chain line a bit, but sounds like it won't be necessary.

So far I've also got some grips, saddle, pedals, and tubeless bits (I know, I know), and one of those Ibera frame bags.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Got mine last night, did the coupon stacking for $430 at SA. Removed the dork ring, reflectors, bars, stem, seat and post, extraneous stickers and brakes. Replaced with a carbon bar, 50mm stem, avid bb7 and fr5 levers, waiting on seat post adapter for carbon post and saddle. Derailleurs were not even in the ballpark of being setup and the dropouts on the front fork are far too thin to be made of aluminum. We'll see how it feels then I'll likely replace the fork.
    Disappointed in the fork quality and straight headtube, also the oddball bcd on the crank, would have been nice to throw a nw chainring on there from the parts bin and lose some more unnecessary bulk. Wheel are pretty light considering the tubes in them and spin true enough for service out of the box. I'll post some pics once I get that post adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    weights of some stock parts

Rear wheel complete with reflectors and rotor no dork disk - 3980g
    Front wheel complete with reflectors and rotor - 3800g

Rear rim with reflector and rotor - 2170g
    Rear tube - 390g
    Rear VeeRubber Mission Command 26x4.0 72tpi - 1410g

Front rim with reflector and rotor - 1950g
    Front tube - 405g
    Front VeeRubber Mission Command 26x4.0 72tpi - 1440g

dork disk - 20g
    8speed cassette - 355g
    Brake lever - 95g ea
    handlebar - 350g

Light freak
    Took delivery of mine last right and put it right together. Took it out for its maiden voyage this morning before work

mongoose Vinson-mongoose-fat-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I really would like to change out the crank. But another alternative is a blackspire 96mm narrow wide. Not cheap though.

http://http://www.blackspire.com/SNA...BCD-Chainrings

SRAM X-5s and Raceface Rides are all over for ~$120. The question is is the chainline as most of these were designed for 170mm hubs. I measured the stays and they are about 7" at it looks like the x-5s might barely work with a q factor of 177.5 and a single ring mounted on the outer.

First Look ? SRAM X5 Fat-bike Crankset | FAT-BIKE.COM

In fact it looks like maybe, just maybe a raceface ride exi 170 might work with a single ring. Maybe a cool blue wolftooth 140/30T run reverse for a wider chainline.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/wid...ue-887531.html

Then again dropping another $170 on this bike is beginning to seem dumb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

WolfTooth

I really would like to change out the crank. But another alternative is a blackspire 96mm narrow wide. Not cheap though.

http://http://www.blackspire.com/SNA...BCD-Chainrings

SRAM X-5s and Raceface Rides are all over for ~$120. The question is is the chainline as most of these were designed for 170mm hubs. I measured the stays and they are about 7" at it looks like the x-5s might barely work with a q factor of 177.5 and a single ring mounted on the outer.

First Look ? SRAM X5 Fat-bike Crankset | FAT-BIKE.COM

In fact it looks like maybe, just maybe a raceface ride exi 170 might work with a single ring. Maybe a cool blue wolftooth 140/30T run reverse for a wider chainline.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/wid...ue-887531.html

Then again dropping another $170 on this bike is beginning to seem dumb.
    This is an option too correct? Can someone confirm the out BCD is 96 and the middle is 64?

96 mm BCD Chainrings for Shimano M9000 ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    I thought it measured 94bcd, but I will double check when I get home tonight if no one else can before then. All my spare chainrings are 104 which is why I said oddball size, but the x01 and FSA kforce use 94 also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like I got one of the last or THE last Vinson from Sports Authority (for my own reasons I hate getting the last product in stock).

Anyone had any problems with how these are shipped? I get mine on Monday but don't think I'll be able to be there to when they deliver. Nervous that the box will be destroyed (I loathe UPS).

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Looks like I got one of the last or THE last Vinson from Sports Authority (for my own reasons I hate getting the last product in stock).

Anyone had any problems with how these are shipped? I get mine on Monday but don't think I'll be able to be there to when they deliver. Nervous that the box will be destroyed (I loathe UPS).
    Mine was pretty much perfect which was a rare occurrence, considering it is the size of 3 regular bike boxes side by side. I worked for UPS for 5 years so I can tell you that the sort system in the distribution centers will not handle a box this large, it has to be hand unloaded and transported within the hub on a small tram and because they usually travel alongside farm implements and other "irregular" objects it is rare for a box to make it through without at least one hole in it. be ready to cut a bunch of zip ties, Pacific zip ties everything together inside the box.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't offend with my UPS comment, I just haven't had a ton of luck with them (the Post Office is even worse, though).

I'm super stoked.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    None taken, I've had UPS maul some of my packages too, luckily they were insured and the claims process, though slow, paid off the full value of the insured amount plus s/h charge. I've been in a Fedex hub and it was pretty much the same drill. I can't imagine the post office being much different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What else are you guys having to do to get these rideable? I assume checking/packing hubs, adjusting derailers (like CruJonez mentioned). What else?

I've got a Moto road bike that really only needed the hubs adjusted, derailers adjusted, and spokes checked. Other than that it seemed to be in pretty good shape. I'd assume this'll be a similar situation?

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    I had to shorten the chain also, it was way too slack on the granny/small combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone been able to resolve the excessive noise of the Mission tires? If so, what steps did you take?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter-ike View Post
    Has anyone been able to resolve the excessive noise of the Mission tires? If so, what steps did you take?
    Full tire-ectomy. Though the Floaters are much louder on pavement so that might not help you. But my missions only squeaked under 10psi, and then only for the first minute or two. Same tubes in the floaters make no squeak noise even down to 6psi.

Right out of the box the derailleurs will be way off. Everything seems to have been greased fine, though I had to rebuild my rear hub after 200 miles due to mud in one side. Otherwise pretty much ready to ride after assembly.

mtbr member
    My Vinson will be arriving Monday, purchased from Sports Authority during that killer promo. I got hit with state tax as I live in NY where we have retail locations. Total was just over $460.00 shipped to my door. Was such a good price that .... I have a Lou and Bud arriving Tuesday with some 24" Qtubes with removable cores to set up tubeless. Got a 15% off promo + free ship for that stuff on the forums here for Jenson. I have tons of extra cockpit parts, pedals, and brakes I've accumulated for over 20 years laying in crates I'll swap in to suit my needs. I'll post a pic when she's all fit.

Thanks for all the info !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My attempt to setup tubeless via split tube was a failure. The HuDus are just too loose. I think filling the central channel with some kind of foam might help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Getting mine on Monday as well. Super stoked even though it's going to have to sit in it's box for a day or two waiting for parts.

Probably the most prominent thing on my list of things to do is to set up my BFL's ghetto tubeless. I've done Floaters on Holey Rolling Darryl's and it was the easiest setup I've ever done. Crossing my fingers that the wheels won't fight me.

I've got lots of plans for this bike!

mtbr member
    My attempt to setup tubeless via split tube was a failure. The HuDus are just too loose. I think filling the central channel with some kind of foam might help.
    This will be my back up attempt....
    How to set up a fat bike tubeless | Dirt Rag

and if that fails I will prob take an approach that is a hybrid of the split tube/foam gutter methods. I will not accept failure LOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    post-race photo-op

my weak legs were happy to have the 4 extra teeth in the rear. The tires worked well. I only went down once and it rider error. I only failed to get up one steep climb, and again it was rider error and mismanagement of momentum. The bike performed well, the engine did not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-0207151131a.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-0207151131.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-0207151130.jpg  

mtbr member
    Unfortunately the 99 cent hanger is not a perfect fit. Going up to the five dollar range on ebay gives a lot of similar options, not sure I'll try again soon.

mongoose Vinson-img_20150207_185351%5B3%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Got my Vinson today. Box was actually in great shape, and everything looks to be pretty much fine. One little scuff on one of the rear dropouts, but who cares?

Spent about an hour unpacking the bike and putting everything together (yeah, I'm slow). Both brakes needed some adjustment, and like a dope I unscrewed the wrong side on my front caliper which set me back a few minutes.

Rear derailer seems to be spot on on mine. Front, not so much.

Biggest issue I've noticed is that out of the box the headset felt a bit tight. I've messed around adjusting it and it's better than it was

I also just ordered a 27.2 - 30.6 seat post shim and a 400mm seat post. The current one is right at the minimum mark and I'd rather have a bit more post in the bike.

Overall so far I'm pretty happy with it. The paint looks much better in person and I don't mind the X4 stuff. After I get everything adjusted on it I'll take it for a ride and see how it feels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-20150209_143106.jpg  

Last edited by Shinkers; 02-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy this bike anywhere? It doesn't seem to show up anymore at MC sports, sports authority, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Www.Mongoose.com direct buy

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Maybe someone here has run into this. I asked in the mechanics forum, but I'm going to ask here too because you might know what I'm talking about .

My front derailer is rubbing on the chain when on my outer chain ring and highest 3 cogs in the back.

I've tried backing the high limit all the way off and it still won't travel far enough, even with the cable unhooked. I went out and looked again, and there is a metal point in there that is hitting the piece that the high and low screws touch. Hard to explain, but it would appear that the only way to get more clearance is to take a file to it or bend my cage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it is going to. you shouldn't be cross-chaining that much. The middle ring should be able to use the whole cassette, but your big ring and granny ring will have some rub on the FD at the far opposite ends of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My bad, I worded that poorly. By 3 highest cogs in the back I meant my highest gears, so actually the 3 smallest cogs in the back. Incidentally, I can actually cross chain both inside and outside rings without noise.

So the combo I'm talking about is outer ring, and outside 3 cogs on the back.

I should add too that to get as much travel as possible, my cable is guitar string tight right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Are you getting excessive flex in the FD bracket? I had this issue when I tried to use an XT E-type FD. Our frame does not have the additional mounting bracket for a proper E-type application. Mongoose instead slots the BB shell and the Alivio FD bracket has a key that fits in the slot to prevent rotation, but nothing is provided to brace the bracket. Check to make sure the FD bracket in mounted to the outside of the BB with a spacer between it and the BB shell. Check to make sure the crank arm is fully seated. Back the H screw all the way out and see if there are any other places where the FD cable arm is hitting before you get full travel. Some FDs have limited travel designed into them and therefore are very sensitive to chainline.

mtbr member
    I think it's probably less likely the FD doesn't have enough range and more likely it's a mm or two too far inboard. How does the low speed limit screw look? I would pull the crank arm, grease and reinstall to see if it wasn't seated all the way, which might cause this. Perhaps the metal derailleur mount isn't parallel to the seat tube and is bent inboard. A spacer between the mount and the bb shell would be an easy fix, as would just getting rid of the outside chainring alltogether. If you can file something that is hitting the stop I'd do that before I tried bending the cage.

If you're really using these gears that's awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I think it's probably less likely the FD doesn't have enough range and more likely it's a mm or two too far inboard. How does the low speed limit screw look? I would pull the crank arm, grease and reinstall to see if it wasn't seated all the way, which might cause this. Perhaps the metal derailleur mount isn't parallel to the seat tube and is bent inboard. A spacer between the mount and the bb shell would be an easy fix, as would just getting rid of the outside chainring alltogether. If you can file something that is hitting the stop I'd do that before I tried bending the cage.

If you're really using these gears that's awesome.
    I doubt I will use all of these gears but it's nice to know I have my full range.

I'll try pulling the crank and if that doesn't work I'll get the file out.

here's a picture of where it's hitting. Low limit isn't touching it. Is it okay for my cable to be as tight as it is?

Before posting this I did yank on the cage a bit but it dint feel like it was going anywhere. Doesn't look bent yet anyway...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-20150211_073503.jpg  

mtbr member

Other options

Quote Originally Posted by ShredMaster View Post
    This will be my back up attempt....
    How to set up a fat bike tubeless | Dirt Rag

and if that fails I will prob take an approach that is a hybrid of the split tube/foam gutter methods. I will not accept failure LOL.
    Q-tubes make the weight a non issue. If you are not fighting thorns, a light tube will do you well and simplify matters
    Cheers,
    FGO

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would be my guess that this is as a mechanic once told me the manufacturer "trying to put ten pounds of nails into a 5 pound bag", my limited understanding is that using a triple on a fat bike is hard, using a triple on a 190mm spaced fat bike is probably harder. I have waved the white flag on trying to use the big ring, and if they didn't have the dumb 96mm BCD, I'd already have a bash on there.

But it's likely you'll have to run the outer limit screw out all the way.

As an aside, I would really love to replace the crankset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well and honestly I still have full use of the first half of my cassette so I'm really not super concerned because in reality I probably won't use the whole range. It'd just be nice to have the option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mongoose Vinson

The cable should be snug but not tight. Too tight of a cable won't allow enough movement. Try taking the chain off and release the cable, then move the der. by hand to check clearance.

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I didn't take the chain off but I unhooked the cable and shifted the chain over to the outer ring and checked clearance by hand. That little finger is hitting before I can move it out enough.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Guzzi Obrian View Post
    Q-tubes make the weight a non issue. If you are not fighting thorns, a light tube will do you well and simplify matters...
    Weight isn't the reason for going tubeless. But depending on how you do it, it can be a side benefit.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    in adjusting the fd I had to do a full setup, that included, shifter in loose position, barrel screwed all the way in, align derailleur to chainrings, set base cable tension, adjust high and low stops, and fine tune cable tension using barrel adjuster, it was way out of the proper range out of the box, same was true with the rd and backstop screw adjustment. I would highly recommend the same procedure for any new bike setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, so here's what I ended up doing:

I pulled the crank and greased the taper and bolt and put it back on. I tightened it as much as I could with my allen wrench, and as far as I can tell, it was in about the same spot.

So I did end up getting my file out. In my above picture, I filed the little finger coming off of the pivot with the spring right in the middle of the picture. I also filed a bit where the high limit screw hits. I can't imagine I did enough to cause any problems down the road, but now I'm getting only minor rub in my highest gear. All others are rub free and I can live with the little bit I have in high since the likelihood of me ever being that high are slim.

So far I'm happy with how it's functioning now, and like I said, don't think I've done too much harm.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Exact same thing is happening for me. With the chain off I still could not pull the Front Derailleur out any further - even with the limit screw all the way out. The big ring works...it just rubs through the entire range of gears which is slightly annoying.

Okay, so here's what I ended up doing:

I pulled the crank and greased the taper and bolt and put it back on. I tightened it as much as I could with my allen wrench, and as far as I can tell, it was in about the same spot.

So I did end up getting my file out. In my above picture, I filed the little finger coming off of the pivot with the spring right in the middle of the picture. I also filed a bit where the high limit screw hits. I can't imagine I did enough to cause any problems down the road, but now I'm getting only minor rub in my highest gear. All others are rub free and I can live with the little bit I have in high since the likelihood of me ever being that high are slim.

So far I'm happy with how it's functioning now, and like I said, don't think I've done too much harm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!

mtbr member
    Do I understand correctly that Sports Authority and Dick's no longer sell this bike?

Mongoose direct is now the only way to get it?

Thanks
    CJ

SW Florida

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    no, they will get them back in stock.
    SR Suntour

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I installed a new headset last night (who knows why) the original does not use cartridge bearings. Plus the new one is blue. Be advised, removing the old crown race might require a bit of dremel work. The local bike shop couldn't do it with the park tool. I also installed a newer x-9 nine speed derailleur and tuned the front derailleur for the 22 and 30 rings, I have no use for a 40t ring on anything but a commuter or road bike.

I'm going to use it this way for a bit until I figure out what gearing a want to use, then maybe I'll put some new cranks on (single ring?). Right now I have about $850 into this bike. You could get a a decent (but not great) bikes direct Boris or something like that, but by the time you get decent tires on there you'd be over $1k for sure. I could change out the crank and still come in (barely) under $1K.

Anyone have a guess on how much the stock crank/bottom bracket weighs?

mtbr member
    When I stripped my frame I was also unable to remove the old race so I just masked it off.

When I pulled the BB I remember it felt insanely heavy, though I believe it only weighed 380 grams. I remember it definitely wasn't much if any upgrade to buy the vp-bc63 (360 grams), though if my BB failed tomorrow that would be a quick and easy replacement for only 20 bucks, just not into paying a buck a gram on a fat bike.

I'm at about 500bike plus 110tires minus 60soldtires plus 70 9speed/36tooth conversion or 620. That doesn't include 10new grips, 20frame bag or 15aircraft stripper, but even then easily under 700. I've definitely considered if I should have just spent more out the gate, but the most meaningful upgrades would be through axles and better hubs, and that doesn't happen until 1000 minimum. Actually 8 speed drivetrain would have been fine for me it I wasn't doing the Birkie, for that race alone going from 22-26-32 to 24-28-32-26 in back was worth the 70 bucks.

When you compare this bike to other fat bikes after a few upgrades you might question the value. But..... When you compare it to not having a fat bike, or riding even a very nice 29er/MTB on snow this is an amazing value.

mtbr member
    no, they will get them back in stock.
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is that in checking both websites, no vinson was even shown........
    CJ

SW Florida

mtbr member
    Now Mongoose doesn't show any in stock. Mongoose | MTB Bikes, Mountain Bikes

I'm really wanting one of these too.

My local Walmart has a Dolomite in stock, with a no name V tread looking tire on it that looks it might be fast rolling, not the stock tire. I had bad luck with the first two Dolomites I bought from Walmart with the frames being bent, don't know if I want to try a third time. Much rather have the Vinson.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    I believe the Vinson is sold out everywhere. I think they will be releasing the Vargus next before new stock of Vinson arrive off of freight.

I'm in the process of converting to 1x8 and going tubeless with my Bud and Lou.
    I'll let you all know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I don't think Mongoose expected the Vinson to sell so well. I hope they keep that white if they do build more. I'll keep an eye on the 4-sell section for this Fatty.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    but wont be out for a long time, port delays will determine when this ones back in
    SR Suntour

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    but wont be out for a long time, port delays will determine when this ones back in
    When will we see the Mongoose Argus available in the US? It appears to be available in all the other markets on the mongoose website. USA is the only market without the Argus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    And I'm done will everything I'm gonna do right now. I do have a frame bag but the one I received was damaged so I'm waiting for that, but other than that it's finished.

Got the BFL's on tonight, no clearance issues at all. Total tire width was maybe half an inch wider than the Mission's bead to bead.

I really like the bike overall. My only complaint would be the triple on the front. Even with the filing I did, my outer ring has more range, but due to the high tension my middle ring rubs slightly on my largest 2 cogs. Seems like you gotta pick your poison.

Anyway, here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-20150213_182511.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Finally getting around to doing additional upgrades on my Vinson. A crank for a 170 rear will not work without extra spacers on the non drive side. Which then does not leave a large contact area for the crank arm to attach. I used a 190 rear spaced crank which gives proper clearance. Would post some pics but not sure how?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbauer View Post
    Finally getting around to doing additional upgrades on my Vinson. A crank for a 170 rear will not work without extra spacers on the non drive side. Which then does not leave a large contact area for the crank arm to attach. I used a 190 rear spaced crank which gives proper clearance. Would post some pics but not sure how?
    If you click on Go Advance and scroll down on the page a little you will see a little tab that says upload images. It's a little complicated on this site but you can figure it out from there.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Finally weighed mine. 40.6# with gorilla taped and tubed Bulldozers, fenders, rack, bag, lights, VO bars, SPD pedals, etc...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Almost finished with some upgrades...a few things I could use help on:

*Has anybody found a replacement derailleur hanger? I like to carry one for each bike.

*Has anybody successfully performed a tubeless conversion on these rims - if so, which tires worked?

*Is it really worth the headache of seating / refilling to have tubeless? I can understand not wanting to change a flat in the cold but the conversion sounds like a giant PITA...I've heard it's worth the compliance on a fat bike. If it's worth the hassle I'll try it, otherwise I may just pump sealant into the tubes and replace them twice a year.

*If I upgrade the tires, does anybody recommend a good 'all conditions' tire? I was considering a set of Bulldozers or maybe Snowshoe 4.5. On-one floaters and Origin8 Devist-8er UL 4.0 can be found cheap but I'm not so sure how they'd do in snow.

*Should I avoid another 4" tire on the 100mm rims and go with 4.5 - 4.8 to avoid self steer?

*I see the seatpost is 30.4 ...has anyone tried a 30.6 without it being too tight? I noticed one comment stating that it didn't work and read elsewhere that it did.

Aside from this I've done the following upgrades because I had the parts available for dirt cheap (used, of course).

-Hayes MAG hydraulic disc (big improvement over stock brakes).
    (I did have to use curved washers to angle the brake...not sure if the fork has a crooked mount, or if this is normal for 'IS Mount'
    -Nashbar stem (almost 200 grams lighter than stock) but the stock bars seem nice
    -SRAM 9.0 grip shifters (these proved very nice with thick gloves / mits - didn't have to fumble around with fingers)
    -Ergon grips - cut them shorter to match up with grip shifters.
    -SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur
    -9 spd chain / cassette
    -Forte Pro SL saddle
    -So far left the stock 8 speed front derailleur and crankset and it seems to work fine.

Bike is currently weighing in at 34lbs 9oz

Light freak
    I am also totally digging this bike. I put a 60mm stem on it last night and moved the seat back a little. It seems to really have helped fit the bike better to me. Have not been offoad with it yet since the modifications. Road 12 miles with 1000 ft of elevation gain yesterday morning.

skota23 - you have "Mongoose product development" in your signature so it looks like you are our man for info . Can you tell us what hanger type the Vinson uses and also what brake pads can be used for replacements? If someone else knows, please chime in. I can not find any information on JAK brakes. They seem to work good, just trying to be prepared.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ztbishop,

My seatpost was marked 30.6 and I thought I recalled reading someone wanted to try a 30.9 and it didn't work.

Either way I used a shim and a 27.2 because I needed a longer one and it worked fine.

I tried to go tubeless with my BFL's and after seeing the hook on these rims and how loose the Larry's were, it wasn't worth the effort to me to pursue it. I put sealant in the tubes and put them back in.

After riding the bike around, despite my creative filing, I'm finding that as I kind of suspected, with my FD cable tension as high as it is to clear on the outer ring, my low end is suffering on the other rings. I'm gonna loosen it up and live with it. I know the easiest solution is to just put a spacer on it but I'm too lazy right now.

mtbr member
    We spent 5 hours today attempting to set up Bud and Lou tubeless, and I tried every possible way of going tubeless. Split tube, gorilla tape, lighter fluid and flame combustion technique (first time for that one hahaha), and high density foam weather stripping 1/8" away from rim sidewall to lock bead in place. The foam weather stripping was the closest we got to the bead setting up but we could not get enough air into the tires with a floor pump. We gave up eventually to ride before dark so we will continue again with a compressor next time.

Upgrades...
    4.8 Bud and Lou rubber
    ControlTech 45mm stem
    ControlTech 760mm riser bar with 30mm rise
    ControlTech 27.2mm seat post with Cane Creek shim
    Fixation low profile composite platform pedals
    Easton lock on grips

I ditched the stock rim strip for some neon orange duck tape that ties in the paint and parts better.

Hit a minor road block trying to go 1x8 so I have it as a 2x8 for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, here's another question for you guys. Finally got my Vinson on some dirt today (yeah it was only in my back yard) and noticed that when I'm pedaling hard (like all out) I'm getting some creaking/clicking. Cranks are tight and both QR's are tight.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    I tried to read through the thread for this but how much lower weight with this frame can you get with upgraded parts? My tank Dolo is 40 but having a budget 30 lb fatty would be a game changer for me. I could eliminate two current bikes I own

mtbr member
    A few points. The frame weighs less than 5 lbs. Mine stock weighed 36. The sky is the limit for weight, depending on what you wanted to spend. 30lbs isn't out of reach, though the stock wheelset might make that tough and another big place to save weight would be the crankset which wouldn't be cheap either. Crankset~wise, though, you could basically save a full pound by going to a hollow crank if you could find a used 190 on ebay it might not cost that much.

Have not found replacement brake pads. Though they do look like some Shimano XT pads after my 99 cent hanger didn't work I'm not ready to roll the dice again for a bit.

Floaters are great in snow, if you can get them though Planet X USA hasn't had them in black in stock for a couple weeks. The colored ones weigh ~400g more so I wouldn't recommend that route. From a "Vinson Budget Perspective" I'd also recommend the 60tpi Nates, even though they are small. Or wait a couple weeks for the Juggernaut 4.5. Self steer won't be helped by a wider tire, I'm not sure where you got that. It does't bother me with the Floaters. With the Missions under 10psi it was odd feeling but something I could live with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, here's another question for you guys. Finally got my Vinson on some dirt today (yeah it was only in my back yard) and noticed that when I'm pedaling hard (like all out) I'm getting some creaking/clicking. Cranks are tight and both QR's are tight.

Any ideas?
    For anyone who hasn't yet, check your bottom bracket cups. My non drive side cup was pretty loose, so I tightened it up and rode it around. The sound is now gone.

I love this bike.

mtbr member
    This bike is a blast. So stoked on finally owning a fatty. Not sure how the stock tires would've performed on the snow drifts and dune ridges but Bud and Lou just ate up everything I put in front of them today. The bike is fairly light for what it is and I find it to be very responsive under my input. I set mine up with a tight cockpit and wide bars like all my trail bikes and that most definitely attributes to that feeling but the geometry feels good. I boosted it off a few snow drifts, rock ledges, and dune drops. All felt great. I'm able to pull the front end up with minimal effort so manuals and wheelie drops are a breeze. Can't wait for some more snow and some time on the trails.

mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This bike is a blast. So stoked on finally owning a fatty. Not sure how the stock tires would've performed on the snow drifts and dune ridges but Bud and Lou just ate up everything I put in front of them today. The bike is fairly light for what it is and I find it to be very responsive under my input. I set mine up with a tight cockpit and wide bars like all my trail bikes and that most definitely attributes to that feeling but the geometry feels good. I boosted it off a few snow drifts, rock ledges, and dune drops. All felt great. I'm able to pull the front end up with minimal effort so manuals and wheelie drops are a breeze. Can't wait for some more snow and some time on the trails.
    that long beach ?
    lived in lb for 5 years and ab for 12

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Crank Upgrade

Here are pics of the crank clearance with a 190 rear spaced crank. Not sure about the chain line? Will know more when the front derailleur mount arrives and I can finish.
    [CENTER][/mongoose Vinson-img_0789.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_0791.jpgCENTER]

mtbr member
    that long beach ?
    lived in lb for 5 years and ab for 12
    Yes it is. East side of town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just got a spacer for my bottom bracket, we'll see what it does for my FD situation.
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay so with spacer in hand, I took apart my BB to see what could be done. Turns out that the E type derailer still has the two prongs that are supposed to fit into the BB shell, and the stock spacer is cut to fit around those. Therefore, a normal spacer will not work because it blocks those 'prongs'.

However, once I got everything put back together, it turns out that now my FD clears. My guess would be that with as many times as I've had the crank off of the taper (3 or 4 now I think) it's finally deformed enough to push further onto the spindle. Probably not necessarily the best thing, but hey.

Of course, now that I have all the travel I need, I still don't have full range on my middle ring with enough cable tension to clear on the outer ring. So I split the difference and now I'm happy.

On a side now, I must already have a slow leak in one of the stock tubes as my pressure was low enough that I managed to hit my front rim a couple times riding over a brick pathway in my yard.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On-One Floater (black) is now in stock in the US. I was thinking of getting a nice trail tire, and a snow tire set. But for the price it looks like it should be a great all-arounder. I might order the Q Tubes 2.4-2.7 light tubes but part of me is afraid of a typical flat turning into more of a blow-out with a stretched tube.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Why is it off the dick's web site? If it's out of stock, it would say so.

Light freak
    Probably just not sure when it is coming back in stock. I saw where they opened up San Francisco port again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    On-One Floater (black) is now in stock in the US. I was thinking of getting a nice trail tire, and a snow tire set. But for the price it looks like it should be a great all-arounder. I might order the Q Tubes 2.4-2.7 light tubes but part of me is afraid of a typical flat turning into more of a blow-out with a stretched tube.
    You might get the floaters now, they will do great on a trail and do pretty good on snow for the short time that's letf this year, with the limitation more in volume than traction. By next winter there will be more high volume options, or you may find the floaters work pretty well year-round. Of course my floaters are new, I'm not sure how much tread I'll have left after a summer season and if that will diminish their snow performance.

mtbr member
    Fun little after work sesh in the fresh. Such a blast riding this thing.mongoose Vinson-image.jpgmongoose Vinson-image.jpgmongoose Vinson-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fun little after work sesh in the fresh. Such a blast riding this thing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1476 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	966155Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4514 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	966158Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2327 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	966157

I'm so used to seeing fat bikes now that we have a couple that the tires look normal to me, then I see your bike and I'm like. "Wow that guys tires have some meat on em" Nice looking rig.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any luck finding a derailleur hanger? Mine magically snapped in half and I had a nice cold hike back...I don't recall any sticks on the trail but I'd imagine something got sucked through the chain. I see nothing with Wheels Manufacturing. I guess I'll hope that Mongoose answers their phones / Emails next week.

mtbr member
    Thanks MoMikey... the rubber upgrade was a no brainer for me. The major selling point of the bike for me was the 190 rear hub and the 100mm wide rims. What other fatty can you shove a 5" tire in, on a stock 100mm wide rim for under $450? And although these wheels will never ever set up tubeless, they are actually not heavy and the free hub actually sounds nicer and has more engagement points than the hubs on my friends' pugs and muk. The Bud and Lou absolutely transformed the Vinson. Looks like a beast and it eats up what ever i put in front of it with these tires. Even with the rubber upgrade the bike cost under $700. Easily looks like it cost 3x that. I'm planning on riding this bike hard, hard like a trail bike. I hope it holds up. I'll be updating frequently.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Whaaaaat? The vinson at $800?

Vinson Fat Bike | MC Sports

Light freak
    AshevilleMtBiker - I have always seen it listed at MC sports of $799. Not sure if you noticed or not, they don't do internet sales - have to walk in and buy it.

ztbishop - Do you mean you just don't see a hanger listed for the Vinson? I am thinking that someone is going to have to take a good picture of the hanger and match it up to what is available for Mongoose. I can't imagine them creating a new hanger for the Vinson, but maybe. I am thinking it may be too new to list.

mtbr member
    ztbishop, I've IM'd you. For all the others in the world you might compare it to wheels mfg number 27. Or if you want to save some cash these aren't terribly hard to find on ebay, compare to 1 in ebay auction 171671947254

here:

Alloy Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Hanger Dropout More Styles with Screws | eBay

Or 'B' on this one 151454132676 Alloy Bicycle Rear Derailleur Hanger Dropout w Bolts | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Whaaaaat? The vinson at $800?
    As when some sellers, even Wallyworld, had the Dolomite at $350...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    Any luck finding a derailleur hanger? Mine magically snapped in half and I had a nice cold hike back...I don't recall any sticks on the trail but I'd imagine something got sucked through the chain. I see nothing with Wheels Manufacturing. I guess I'll hope that Mongoose answers their phones / Emails next week.
    Call them on Monday or email them today, you part will likely show up Tuesday or Wednesday if they have it in stock. Pacific cycles has been pretty amazing when it comes to shipping out parts that have been damaged in shipping and or riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks MoMikey... the rubber upgrade was a no brainer for me. The major selling point of the bike for me was the 190 rear hub and the 100mm wide rims. What other fatty can you shove a 5" tire in, on a stock 100mm wide rim for under $450? And although these wheels will never ever set up tubeless, they are actually not heavy and the free hub actually sounds nicer and has more engagement points than the hubs on my friends' pugs and muk. The Bud and Lou absolutely transformed the Vinson. Looks like a beast and it eats up what ever i put in front of it with these tires. Even with the rubber upgrade the bike cost under $700. Easily looks like it cost 3x that. I'm planning on riding this bike hard, hard like a trail bike. I hope it holds up. I'll be updating frequently.

It does look like a high end bike with a lot of rubber. The one thing I was really happy about mongoose doing was using the 100mm rims on all their fat bikes. Pretty cool of them to sell cheap/entry fatties with the largest rim available, even if those of us with Dolos and Beasts have the heavier wheels. Agreed with the tubeless weight thing as well, between my floaters/qtubes/rim holes I think we lost about 10lbs per bike so there is no real need to go tubeless or even order new wheels now that I would only be saving another pound or two for a few hundred bucks at minimum. Also the aluminum wheels on the dolo have been stripped and after a polish last weekend they look as good as the day I stripped them, with about 5 months of VT winter in-between

mtbr member
    Regarding MC Sports pricing the bike at 799, I believe their website lists MSRP. It was that price online when I bought one in store for 500. Call first, not all stores carry bikes but they can search inventory and either tell you what stores have them or get one dropped at the store in a few weeks.

Of course, that's if they still have any available.

Light freak

Here is some info I found on the brakes/pads

mongoose Vinson-jak-7-brakes.jpg

mtbr member
    Scar that's an awesome find, replacement pads are cheap and easy to find then. That being said riding on snow I have almost no wear on mine. I suppose if you ride beaches you could go through these more quickly.

mtbr member
    Took the Vinson out on the trails yesterday. Bike felt great on twisty single track and also did well in the slower tech rocky sections. Let me just say that I was getting plenty of looks in regards to the name on my bike on the trails today. Some were blatantly judgmental, some were blatantly disrespectful. Let me also just say that I had no problem burning them on the trail while they watched in shock on their $3000+ carbon dream fatties, as well as the other more common bikes in the $1800+ range. Had a grin from ear to ear the whole ride.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ShredMaster; 02-22-2015 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Thinking about buying on of these. Local places have them on "closeout" for 550 (MC Sports). Not as good as black friday, but still not bad for a usable bike.

I noticed the FD mounting is kind of different from anything I have seen before. How is it working for you owners? Any problems?

thanks

mtbr member
    I also see that the Vinson is off the mongoose usa website. I wonder why?

-c

mtbr member
    My front derailleur has always worked fine. It was fine in the stock configuration. I changed to 3x9 with a narrower 9 speed chain and it worked fine. Now I've gotten rid of the large chainring and turned the high limit screw almost all the way in and it works fine that way. Someone went with a 10 speed and reported the even narrower 10 speed chain didn't shift well up front.

E type derailleurs are nothing new, though I think there are also some problem solver products that would let you use other types. Not sure why you'd want to change it out unless you went 10 speed. IMO rear derailleur performance varies greatly and you get what you pay for. Every front derailleur I've ever had seems to work the same. I've never had one I couldn't get working and I've never had one where I thought it worked really well.

I'm not sure what's up with availability, if these will only sell in non-US markets where Mongoose sells higher end stuff, or if it's just a supply problem. I'm glad I didn't wait for an Argus, that's for sure. Hopefully these aren't considered a flop. While fat-bikes are a winter seller I'm not sure department store bike shoppers are really looking for bikes this time of year. It's only been out since Oct/Nov, I would think they wouldn't pull the plug before a summer selling season.

Light freak
    I was a little worried on the front derailleur mounting also but have had no issues with. I would say if you can get your hands on one of these - GET IT!

Had one very minor issue the other day. It seemed like my rear brake was dragging more and more as the ride went on. I found that there is a screw in the brake lever that limits lever travel. It was working its way inward and pulling tension on the brake cable. I went ahead and just removed it. Went to do the same to the other side and there wasn't even a screw in that lever

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I too was worried about the FD style since I've never had an E type. Like the others though, I really haven't had a problem with it despite my early concerns.

Still love this bike. Need to get it out!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast