Mongoose Dolomite vs Malus- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Mongoose Dolomite vs Malus

Hi All:
    I am interested in buying either Mongoose Dolomite or Malus. I am a 6ft 2in and 350 lbs guy. I will be mostly riding it on asphalt/concrete trails few times a week. I would like to know the differences and better option between the two. I am a noob when it comes to bike, so your help is much appreciated. I am also keen to know if the bike frame has holes to fit the below baby carrier: https://www.amazon.com/CoPilot-7064487- ... ion&sr=1-2.

Thank you,
    AR.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramaka View Post
    Hi All:
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=&quot]I am interested in buying either Mongoose Dolomite or Malus. I am a 6ft 2in and 350 lbs guy. ...
    A lot of things that apply to the Dolo also apply to the Malus, so check out the Dolo thread.
    The major difference is the rear hub. The Malus rear relies upon being screwed together. Search this sub forum for the Malus references/threads.

Sorry, bad news. Your weight means you're a Clyde(sdale). The weaker softer shafts in the hubs and the bottom bracket spindle means they will wear much faster and experience has shown they are highly likely to bend. You can upgrade the BB with a cartridge type and swept crank arms. Good luck finding a rear fat hub for that spoke count.
    In short. The bike will not last.

You will have difficulty having sufficient stopping power with your weight and the stock brakes. You don't want that with a baby on the back. You will have to upgrade the brakes to be safe.

If you add up the cost of the bike, and a brake upgrade, and bottom bracket & crank arm upgrade, and who knows what you can do for a rear hub upgrade/fix, (and likely want a different freewheel or front crank ring so you have fat gearing and not cruiser gearing), look at those $ and see if you can get closer to a "real" bike instead of a BSO(bicycle shaped object)/department-store-bike.

If you can't do more $ and get either, due to dust, dirt and too often metal bits in them, you MUST completely clean out the hubs and bottom bracket, and preferably the steering too, and regrease them BEFORE you ever ride it (or sit on it). Because of that, you don't want to buy one assembled off a sales floor (who knows how many sat on it, or rode it out back...). You want it in a box and you do the "assembling".

In addition to the Dolo thread, see
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ne...d-1137459.html
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/mo...s-1137203.html
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/mo...s-1136347.html
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    p.s.

At 6'2", you also don't want a one-size-fits-all frame. "Real" bikes have frames in small, medium and large, sometimes an XL. With a one-size BSO, you can get a longer seat post and riser handle bars and longer crank arms, but you're trying to make the frame do for what it's not sized for. Some succeeded enough for their use with the Dolo; you'll have a large thread to search to find what they did/used. Use google to search it.

There's a fat bike at Costco for a bit more than a Dolo/Malus. It's a lot more bike than the Dolo/Malus, but there are some odd sizes in components that mean some parts of it can be difficult to upgrade. I forget those specifics, so you'll have to google for those. It's in between a BSO and a "real" bike.

My nephew was going to get yet another BSO bike after his latest fell apart (he's tall and a Clyde too) with gentle use, but I got him to look at the 29er version of that bike at Costco. A longer seat post, some pedals to match his large feet (off of my fatbike...), crank arms were long enough (he says), and I tuned the wheels to be sure they wouldn't taco with his weight, along with adjusting the brakes, and he loves riding that around the trails through the woods (he insists the stock tires hold the trail in the rain, mud and with muddy tires on the wet wood bridges). Until his latest job, he was riding it to work in the sun, rain, snow & ice. He loves it. I haven't heard firsthand from someone getting the fatbike version.

There is a BSO that at least has better brakes and gears, and gears that at least aren't cruiser range, but are somewhat into the fat bike range, so much better for your weight. I don't recall its BB and hubs. I'd expect the BB could be replaced like the Dolo/Malus. I believe I posted it in the Dolo thread somewhere towards the back. I should be in the store that sells it sometime in the next few days (not getting bike parts...), so I can check on what it is.

I haven't kept up on the first teir of real bikes in fat bikes (I have a Dolo and a Beast; but I love working on bikes, I can get used parts at a local bike co-op, and I'm a lot lighter than you).Usually the used bike market is a good place to look for a first fat bike, but with COVID-19 there's a lot of bikes being bought right now, so choices are said to be limited (I haven't checked). Hopefully someone here will chime in with some budget suggestions at are appropriate for your needs.

Do check out the pinned "Fatbikes under $1000"
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fa...-937739-3.html
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ramaka;[URL="tel:14762581"
    14762581[/URL]]Hi All:
    I am also keen to know if the bike frame has holes to fit the below baby carrier: https://www.amazon.com/CoPilot-7064487- ... ion&sr=1-2.

Thank you,
    AR.
    I donít think the carrier will work on a fat bike. The spot where the kids feet go straddle the back wheel. If you watch the video in the link on amazon youíll see what I mean. You might be better off with a trailer for the kid.