ML/Lou vs CS/D5/Vanhelga for deep snow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ML/Lou vs CS/D5/Vanhelga for deep snow

I know everyone is focusing on the non snow season, but I'm trying to build a rear wheel for next years snow. My question is regarding rear traction/flotation in deep snow only. I'm either going to throw a Lou on Marge lite or a D5/Vanhelga on a Clownshoe? I've recently heard of rides liking a D4 on CS and that's what sparked my interest. I don't care about rolling resistance or weight if one is a superior performer over the other. I'm about 185lbs geared up and am usually breaking my own trail, what

Why not the Lou on CS?

I haven't experienced Vanhelga's yet. Seems like a burly tire. Lou has been excellent for me, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Why not the Lou on CS?

I haven't experienced Vanhelga's yet. Seems like a burly tire. Lou has been excellent for me, though.
    I no doubt would be running that combo if there was room. I'm not willing to sell my bike, just want to maximize it's potential.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would just do marge lite if you are looking for a good winter and summer combo.

No one else shall respond, as I have answered his question perfectly.

NEXT!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I would just do marge lite if you are looking for a good winter and summer combo.

No one else shall respond, as I have answered his question perfectly.

NEXT!!
    That would be the easiest way, but I'm not looking for one good all around wheelset. I'm looking to have a the best possible combo with my restrictions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    He's right. Just go with Marge Lite. Been there, done that. Have two wheelsets, marge lite gets used the most.

beer thief
    Nothing works in deep snow. Skis or slowshoes

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    From the thread title you can be sure no one will ever search and find this topic haha ...

All these tires have many threads where you can read how they're like in snow.

Honestly, Dillingers are not to break new trails as that is what you're(or want to) ride on. Little difference front or rear. This comes down to Bud/Lou or Vanhelga as discussed many times. What do you mean by deep snow? There's no magic here, you can push a bit in say a foot of snow, but you'll come down to a halt quick.

As far as rims the wider the better for deep snow and flotation. I have only used 80mm rims so far. Rider weight has an impact on this too.

Chris.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You don't put a studded d5 on for deep snow, you put it on because it's pretty damn good at everything, including deep snow. This year I felt unstoppable on 90mm rims and the rims and tired seemed like they were separated at birth in terms of tubeless and low pressure, but if you want the absolute best for deep snow, you still have to step up to an even more aggressive tread pattern on a wide tire. The d5 is an amazing all around tire IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

aka bOb
    I actually prefer the Ground Control in the back over the d5 but the front is a different story.

mtbr member
    I've read every thread on each tire sadly more then once! The question is basically 100mm rim/4" tire vs 65mm rim/Lou on non groomed snow. If you had both of these combos in your garage, which one would you mount up on those rides you're not seeing groomed single track. From the responses so far I take it doesn't make much of a difference, which is fine. I can assume the differences, but was hoping some that has tried both set ups I've described could give me some feedback.

aka bOb
    What about the new 45nrth Beist whatever rear tire that's coming out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    What about the new 45nrth Beist whatever rear tire that's coming out?
    Ya, looks like it has some potential. I'm willing to try any other new tire that comes out between now and then. Looks like I might have to buy the CS and compare myself.

mtbr member
    I actually prefer the Ground Control in the back over the d5 but the front is a different story.
    I agree! I was just using the D5/vanhelga as an example for all the 4-4.5" tires.

So are you guys suggesting the tire size and tread is more important then the rim width?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post

So are you guys suggesting the tire size and tread is more important then the rim width?
    I don't know about that, my best riding bud and a very experienced rider was running d4's on 65's and switched to 90's and it sure seemed to help a lot at least in the 5-8 psi range. Maybe at super low psi it's wouldn't make as much of a difference, don't know.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feed back bOb! I'm around the same psi majority of the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Knock knock.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Knock knock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ML/Lou vs CS/D5/Vanhelga for deep snow-10382170_734752136602139_7585500250532188117_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Please use the standard format when replying my knock-knock joke you window licker.

aka bOb
    Ok, who's there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok, who's there?
    I eat mop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Time to bring this up again and throw the beists into the mix. They look pretty awesome. I will also note I have seen plenty of thinner riders on bigger tires at races I've done, they are not so much breaking new trails but there were some sections where 4.5"+ would come in handy. I currently have 27tpi nates that have not ever let me down but am thinking of upgrading this year. I'm a 170 rider weight.

45NRTH Releases Flowbeist And Dunderbeist Front And Rear Specific Fat Tires | FAT-BIKE.COM