Minnesota 1.0 V. 2.0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Cool-blue Rhythm Minnesota 1.0 V. 2.0

Alright, I'm looking for my first fat bike! I need cheap because I'm a broke college student but I need something that will be really good in snow. I've exhausted myself looking for something on craigslist and had no luck!
    I've been looking at a women's Minnesota 1.0 or a 2.0 and just can't see what the big difference is other than front gears, price and a 2oz. weight difference. Thehouse.com has them listed for a $50 difference. What are your thoughts on these bikes? Can someone explain the difference in a single front gear versus a double front gear?

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    The double adds more gearing options and weight, the rest of the bike is about the same. Keep in mind that with a double drive train your widest tire can only be 4.0, with a single you could go up to 4.6.

If going for a Minn and can afford it go with the 3.0, it will allow you to put a suspension fork in the future due to having a tapered head tube, the rest is the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've done very well with used bikes on Pinkbike.com. This site also has classifieds but I have never used them.

I suspect that there are a fair number of people who buy fat bikes and then discover they don't love them and sell them out a couple years later, so I think there are some good deals out there.

Also, technology in fat bikes have changed extensively in the last 2-3 years, so a lot of people are upgrading from offset frames (Surly Pugsley & Moonlander, and most 4-5+ year old models) or are upgrading from rigid bikes to ones with a suspension fork. So there are probably a fair number of used bikes coming on the market at attractive prices.

I am very happy with a 2x setup on the fat bike because I have a reasonably high end gear for riding on the road when I'm coming home from a ride, but still have plenty of low gears for snow and for steep hills. My mountain bike has a 1x setup which is great for trails (less to break, no chance of dropping a chain) but it is horribly slow on the road, so I end up throwing it in the car to get to the trail instead of riding there. I'm not that fast so I think the 2x is great because it gives me more range on what I can do with the fat bike. Racer types looking for performance or to ride super technical trails would tend to like 1x setups.
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro