Merry Christmas ya filthy animal! Stolen bikes! :incazzato:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Merry Christmas ya filthy animal! Stolen bikes! :incazzato:

Hey all, hope it was a Merry Christmas for everyone. And in many ways I had a tremendous, emotional family bonding Christmas experience.

However, the day before Christmas Eve my new Giant Momentum Rocker was stolen, as was my daughter's Raleigh bike she's had for a while. It was her first nice bike and she named it Princess Raleigh-leia.

The so-called good news? For some reason they left me my SE Stout 29er

Ok, so it's part my fault, which is to say I trusted too much on humanity. STUIPID!!! I've lived here for several years and in all that time I've not had one single issue with any sort of crime. Plus, my house is set back a good distance from the street.

I left the bikes, including my other 29er on the front porch and I know for a fact that the bikes were stolen between 3pm when we all left the house to 4pm when I got back home. It was down pouring rain as well in that time period.

I filed a police report and gave them photos and the serial number. Today I will be going to other local police depts. to put it on their radar. Also, one of my best friends is a self employed septic truck driver and he goes to many houses so he will keep an eye open for me. I'll also talk to the mail lady and show her photos and ask her to let me know anything she may see. And of course several time a day right now I am checking Craigslist.

This sucks of course having someone to be so bold, at Christmas time no less, to come on my property...on my porch. Whoever it is had to have been scoping it out and/or know our "at home/work" rhythms. Scary.

And, no I do not own a garage or have a shed or a camera system. And now, I plan on at least two investments. A shed and at least some sort of hunter's camera placed somewhere very hidden.

Ok, so my rant is over on that. Now I have to RE-friggin' save up money for a fat bike! Especially hard for me at this time due to all the Christmas money spent and car insurance that was just due! Ugh

Going forward I'll have to consider used bikes on Craigslist and such. My question to you all then...PLEASE look over the geometry of the Giant Momentum Rocker (don't worry about components) and please let me know of any other bikes with identical or VERY close geometry and chain stay numbers and all that, please. I really love the feel and ability to wheelie the Rocker, but need to look at others IF they can replicate the experience for less money in a used fat bike I might come across.

btw, one bike which had the fit and feel that worked for me was a Fatboy if that helps?

Here's the specs available on the Rocker which is not very exhaustive...

Regular size:
    Optimal Rider Height
    5'7" ~ 5'11"
    Standover height*
    29.5"
    Head Angle
    71 degrees
    Seat Angle**
    73 degrees
    Toptube***
    23.0"
    Headtube
    4.8"
    Chainstay
    18.0"
    Wheelbase
    43.0"
    All you have to do when you fall is to get back up

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    That sucks man. I F-n hate thieves, nothing but scum sucking a-holes.

Unfortunately, tis the season for thieving douche bags. People always say, "But I live in a good neighborhood." And that is where thieves go to find stuff. Nothing of value to steal in the ghetto hoods so head to the "nice" neighborhoods.

Hope you get your rides back.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Said it before, I'll say it again, bike thieves, like horse thieves in the old west, should be shot at dawn.....

Sorry for you loss.

Another situation where one of those motion activated little security cameras might have been of help.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I don't live in a fancy neighborhood at all but it's not a bad place either. It's rural not urban. Very middle class. I lost most everything material before in my life so this too will pass. I just hope karma is a *****!

mtbr member
    Sorry you have to go through this. Remember each year, people are out following the package carriers, stealing stuff right after the driver makes deliveries. They are opportunists, so it's a bad time to leave anything exposed, no matter where you live.

RAKC
    Thing with living in a rural community, not too hard to find stolen stuff. Usually just jackass kids pulling crap. Just make sure everyone you know around the area knows what happened. Sorry people had to mess up your holidays, definitely lowest scum out there.

Check the local trailer court too. Sounds mean, but I have lived in rural community most of my life. And half the time driving through the local trailer courts had located friends stolen items. They don't usually steal to sell, the kids just saw the bikes and wanted them for their own use. Probably why 29er was left behind. Wouldn't have been surprised if they rode off on them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    That really DOES suck. The only thing worse than a liar is a thief.

Two years ago someone stole the rear wheel off my wife's Trek. The bike was not chained, hell they could have taken the entire bike. But whoever it was apparently only wanted the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry for your loss. don't let it get to you

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the pep talk and sharing similar experiences.

Also, great advice tigriss about the trailer parks. Will do!

Rippin da fAt
    Do you have homeowners/renters insurance? Sux when some jerk pisses on your holiday... Hope the cops find and return your bikes.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    No, I've learned my lesson. I plan on getting renter's insurance now (bundle and save with Flo!)

I've been trying to recover from a massive financial crisis from a few years ago and made many cutbacks to our budget allowance. Hence, no shed yet for example. I should have, could have had them locked to the railings but...living and still learning ya know.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am pretty sure I just saw your ads on Craigslist. I thought "didn't someone just post this on the mtbr forums?"

That area is getting pretty rough these days. Where'd you get the momentum? Looked into Mojo for one and he said they "Weren't friends" with Giant anymore.

mtbr member
    Yep that's my ad. Just put it up today. I know Mojo shop. I bought mine from Erlton bikes. I live down near the Newfield end of Vineland btw and it's nice here but no one is protected from crime.

Rippin da fAt
    Demon, just don't lead the jerks into temptation. Lock em up, stick em in the house where they're safe, warm and happy. Hope the ads and such work to your advantage.

Best wishes,

BR
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Demon, just don't lead the jerks into temptation. Lock em up, stick em in the house where they're safe, warm and happy. Hope the ads and such work to your advantage.

Best wishes,

BR
    No more. Not even a minute out of my sight!

Rippin da fAt
    I am rather over protective of my bikes. They are my favorite things, so if I ride places, my bike stays with me. One time I was asked to leave my dirt couch at the bike rack while I was in the grocery, I said not a chance in bloody hell and left for Safeway down the street. At Safeway, the manager always greets me with a smile and requests a ride report. Rather pleasant. I haven't been back to Kroger since that cvnt wouldn't let my bike carry the hand basket for me. I'll remain in possession of my bike without giving my dough to those that want me to place my bike on display for the thieves to shop for a free dirt couch.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Thieves are dirtbags, but they are opportunistic dirtbags. Don't give them the opportunity. My bikes live in the garage. My best security device is my dog, who sounds like a hell hound when someone comes around. People don't want any part of him. You might also consider a basic security system by Simplisafe. If guys like that come around and manage not to be deterred by the dog or the thought of being filmed, there is a good chance they will find themselves on the wrong end of a man who is a light sleeper with a 12 gauge or an AR15 in his hands. But, I do live on more than 5 acres so anyone coming around the house aside from delivery guys is unexpected and suspicious. Good luck, be smart and keep them inside/lock em up good!