Mechanical discs on Farley?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Mechanical discs on Farley?

Anyone know of a mechanical REAR disc brake that will fit a Farley 9.6? BB7s work fine up front, but experienced local mechanic couldn't fit rear BB7.

Spykes maybe?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    It looks like the issue is no clearance for the lever that actuates the caliper. Be expecting that issue for any mechanical caliper. Overall size of mechanical calipers is wider to the outside because of this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I don't know if this is any use to you, it's a thread discussing the same problem on a Stache:

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...s-1013451.html

The person fitted TRP's in the end, there's some good photos showing the different physical shapes of the two brakes.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks, looks like I'll try the TRPs. Trek had the same suggestion, but oddly enough didn't know for sure if it would work... I have nothing against the hydros it came with, but they corrode quickly on the beach.

mtbr member

Mechanical discs on Farley?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
    Thanks, looks like I'll try the TRPs. Trek had the same suggestion, but oddly enough didn't know for sure if it would work... I have nothing against the hydros it came with, but they corrode quickly on the beach.
    I measured up spyres i had on a gravel bike and they were narrower than deore hydros i had on my farley 6. Im going to put TRP spykes on my 9.6 with avid speed dial levers soon.

I had zero issues with my deores for the first winter. I probably should have bled them but the second year they got stiff in the cold and one real cold ride i grabbed fists full of brakes and then i had squeely brakes. Some fluid must have made it past the pistons. TRPs will be fine, I liked the spyres. Center them, tighten the slack, adjust the pad screws till they are perfect and they are awesome. If you put the cable on the inside of the screw it shortens the pull. Also the best part is they fit shimano pads matched with shimano rotors they rocked. I had xt rotors with the spyers and imo worked as well as my sram apex hydros on my tcx.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Using TRP Spykes on my Farley 9.6. Plenty of clearance. But my axle is all the way forward, which is where mine stays even with clownshoe/4.5 tires. If you want to move the axle back it might be a problem-looks it could go back maybe 3/8". Also, I use 160 rotor- I think a 180 rotor would also work with axle forward but further reduce how much back you could go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    Using TRP Spykes on my Farley 9.6. Plenty of clearance. But my axle is all the way forward, which is where mine stays even with clownshoe/4.5 tires. If you want to move the axle back it might be a problem-looks it could go back maybe 3/8". Also, I use 160 rotor- I think a 180 rotor would also work with axle forward but further reduce how much back you could go.
    How are they for power?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    How are they for power?
    Fine for me though definitely not as good as good hydros. On the steepest downhill stuff my hands sometimes get a little tired, but there's always enough power to do the job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Okay, thanks Teton, you settled it as far as I'm concerned. Spykes it is.

mtbr member
    Fine for me though definitely not as good as good hydros. On the steepest downhill stuff my hands sometimes get a little tired, but there's always enough power to do the job.
    Suppose i could up the rotors too. I did this on my gravel bike in the rear a 140 to a 160 and it was night and day.

Thanks.

Thingamejigger
    2 year warranty on Shimano, warranty the originals??

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    2 year warranty on Shimano, warranty the originals??
    Well, that's a good question, and I'm considering it. Mine are Avids, but I take your point. I could get another several hundred miles free before paying for new mechanicals. Might do this, even though I'm anxious to put the hydros behind me.

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of mechanical brakes, but the Spykes that came on my bike were actually really pretty good. I definitely liked them better than the BB7s that I have on one of my loaner bikes.

I replaced the Spykes with OEM Formula C1s which can be had really cheap. The reviews on this product tend to be less than stellar, but they've been awesome in my experience.

mtbr member
    I know this is a very old thread and was wondering if you had a picture or could take a couple pictures of the Spyke Caliper on the rear ?

I would gladly buy you lunch

MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims