Mayor vs mukluk 3 help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Mayor vs mukluk 3 help

I'm a noobie and am getting a fat bike. I pretty much have decided on a black muck 3 or a mayor. I plan on doing a lot of bike packing and camping with the bike. Wondering what is best. I read the mayor components are much better but I would need another ring and derailer?
    Probably better to spend that than deal with cheaper muk components?
    Mayor for bikepacking? Rack? Etc

Rocking on a Rocky
    If you want the racks mounts go with the Mukluk. The Mayor is a nice bike.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's what I read about the mukluk. That it is great for adaptability. Just wondering if The mayor has potential for a good rack and handling for hauling more gear. Given that it has much better components makes me think it would be better maybe to kit it instead of trying to bring the mukluk components up to snuff. I'm set on black too.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Mayor has an interesting build - a review his here,

RSD Bikes ? The Mayor Fat-bike Enters the Scene! | FAT-BIKE.COM

they like it as a play bike, would have to use bags to camp, etc. It does have a 190 mm rear so it will take the really wide tires - Buds and Lous but barely. A ten speed 11/36 cassette will get most things done, a second ring might not be feasible nor get you that much really. Chain clearance on the tire could be a problem with a second ring. If it can be fitted and a front der would be needed with probably a mount of some sort for the wide BBracket. If the second ring is really a must go with the Muk 3. The Muk 3 would be pretty solid and has the mounts for racks front and rear. The components are not bad, my 2012 Muk 3 has been bulletproof except the chain. While I like the idea of a galvanized chain for corrosion resistance I have some reservations about the galvanized chain as it broke with less than 600 miles on it. Took the hangar bracket with it. Put a Sram PC950 in; have had really good results with those over the years. Hope this is useful!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Very useful, thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a Mayor and love it. I would say the simple solution for your gearing concerns would be to add a 42 tooth on the cassette. You will want it for snow riding anyway. The only thing you really lose with the mayor is a set of rack mounts on the fork. It is carbon and stiff, but has no mounts. Maybe there is a rack that can adapt to that, but I am not sure. The bike rides really well. It has a slightly slack head angle that makes the bike feel safe. That may be a nice thing if you are riding it loaded down with gear. As an aside, I didn't feel a need to change anything(ok, I put grip shift on it). My medium , with mid-grade pedals on it, comes in at 31lbs. The Snowshoe tires have been good on dirt. In the winter I will run a snowshoe on the rear and a Bud up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I wanted the mayor to be it but the rack options on the muk have won me over I think. Anyone have a solid rear rack on their mayor? Not just a seat post rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Also, on the black muk 3. The top tube blue and red part. Is that a decal or paint ?

mtbr member
    Mayor vs mukluk 3  help-image.jpgI think it is paint. I will go outside and look. I love my muk 3. I have loaded it with my big ass and gear and it's awesome. The 2x9 setup will go anywhere especially with stock nates.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looks awesome, mine will be here soon !

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Mayor vs mukluk 3 help

Great pick!

I bought Muk3 as my first fat bike and loved it!!! You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk