mtbr member
    Oct 2005

manitou mastodon question

I am waiting for manitou to get back to me, and thought I might find my answer here faster. I have a new Mastodon that is working great on my Skookum. Really pleased with the performance of this fork. My Bluto is for sale! I have about 8 rides on it which total over 70 miles. When I pick up my bike, the fork slides down a about 3/8 of an inch with a noticeable klunk. Thought my headset was loose until I watched the fork as I lifted up the front end off of the ground several times. Any Mastodon owners out there that have experienced this? If so, is there a fix as it doesn't seem quite right.

Thanks,
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are some owners that have had a loose steerer as pressed in the crown. They mention similar symptoms to what you are reporting.

User: Shark, I believe, has a thread with pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply and info BME. Probably a different issue than the one in that thread. Manitou returned my call and they think that my air chamber needs to be set up correctly. The fork has worked so well out of the box that I haven't touched anything except the knobs. Directions from Manitou: invert fork, let air out. With air valve open, extend fork to full travel while inverted and inflate. I will try this tonight and report.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info BME. Probably a different issue than the one in that thread. Manitou returned my call and they think that my air chamber needs to be set up correctly. The fork has worked so well out of the box that I haven't touched anything except the knobs. Directions from Manitou: invert fork, let air out. With air valve open, extend fork to full travel while inverted and inflate. I will try this tonight and report.

urmb
    Sounds possible that fork pressure was set without the fork fully extended. I was about to recommend the same thing.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Guidance from Manitou did the trick. Fork is back to normal.

urmb

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I miss read the 3rd last sentence, talking about (not) loose headset. Glad you got it sorted.