Manitou Mastodon? - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,616 of 1616
    fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    thanks to Dougal, i have serviced a quite a few mastodons now. I am getting quite comfortable with it.

Locally, i am becoming quite the Mastodon expert... Seems like everyone needs a service or a travel change. I think i have 2~3 more forks coming my way this week...

The rebound damper piston was stuck in one of them. Using the Manitou sliced cassette tool, if you put too much pressure on it, it would skip and start to strip the damper nut. i was able to remove the seal and associated parts to get a standard cassette tool on the damper nut. I then needed a breaker bar and an assistant to hold the fork... GOT IT!! lucky for the fork, as i was going to use my impact gun or my air chisel next...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    Capt,

Which 120mm fork did you get- Pro or Comp? Std or EXT versions? Did you happen to need a 5mm extended crown race to prevent downtube contact?

Hayes recommended the EXT version to clear 29+ but I have read that many people have ben getting along fine with the STD versions and say 29x3. I plan on running 29x3 Minion DHR 2 on a 35i carbon rim.

I had the alloy version frame but this time I have a carbon Bucksaw frame
    Thanks!
    I think a 29 x 3 knobby tire like the DHR2 will require the spacer under the bump stop (EXT) to be safe
    I have a 29 x 2.6 Ikon on 35mm rim and there's just enough clearance considering tire and rim deflection under load.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    I think a 29 x 3 knobby tire like the DHR2 will require the spacer under the bump stop (EXT) to be safe
    I have a 29 x 2.6 Ikon on 35mm rim and there's just enough clearance considering tire and rim deflection under load.
    Hmm, thanks Racer. I ordered the Pro EXT version in 100mm to be safe since the head angle will be a wee bit slacker running 27.5x4F / 26x4R in winter and 29+F / 27.5R in summer. I'll report back on the DHR2 clearance.

mtbr member
    Hello all,
    I am hoping for some guidance here. I have a Mastodon comp 100 EXT.
    I put a nick in the stanchion , and replacing the SCA (stanchion crown assembly) I had purchased through LBS as instructed by Hayes, when I received the new SCA it looked a bit long, so I called up Hayes support and they assured me it was the correct updated part for my fork. I am in the process of changing it, and not convinced it is correct. The part number on box says it is. but is longer than my existing part. Yes it will slide into the lowers without the guts. I temporarily screwed the air piston into the new unit and tried sliding it into my lowers and the travel is hindered the pics show the fork in full compression for comparison. Is this indeed a an updated part??? I am thinking this is a csa for the 120 -140 fork. Anyone have one apart that can give me measurments? Do I need to make changes to the spacer setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_152943.jpg  

Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_160636.jpg  

Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_160415.jpg  

Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_153015.jpg  

Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_153004.jpg  

Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_155017.jpg  

Manitou Mastodon?-20200829_155010.jpg  

Last edited by Blaster182; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm guessing your original was for 80-100 mm travel and the new one is for 120-140mm travel.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Or there is a bump stop hindering the last few mm of stroke?? IDK, just speculation on my part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    Hello all,
    I am hoping for some guidance here. I have a Mastodon comp 100 EXT.
    I put a nick in the stanchion , and replacing the SCA (stanchion crown assembly) I had purchased through LBS as instructed by Hayes, when I received the new SCA it looked a bit long, so I called up Hayes support and they assured me it was the correct updated part for my fork. I am in the process of changing it, and not convinced it is correct. The part number on box says it is. but is longer than my existing part. Yes it will slide into the lowers without the guts. I temporarily screwed the air piston into the new unit and tried sliding it into my lowers and the travel is hindered the pics show the fork in full compression for comparison. Is this indeed a an updated part??? I am thinking this is a csa for the 120 -140 fork. Anyone have one apart that can give me measurments? Do I need to make changes to the spacer setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    From short travel (short stanchion) to longer travel (long stanchion) the shafts are the same but the bottom-out bumpers on the short stanchions will have extra spacers underneath them.

These spacers should match the length difference in stanchion. Take them out and you're all good. If they don't match, then you need to juggle spacers so the new length of stanchion plus bottom out spacers match the old length of stanchion plus bottom out spacers.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    From short travel (short stanchion) to longer travel (long stanchion) the shafts are the same but the bottom-out bumpers on the short stanchions will have extra spacers underneath them.

These spacers should match the length difference in stanchion. Take them out and you're all good. If they don't match, then you need to juggle spacers so the new length of stanchion plus bottom out spacers match the old length of stanchion plus bottom out spacers.
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Ok, so as of 2019 all forks utilize the longer legs and I will need to remove some lower spacers and add 3 top out spacers p#121-29113 to achieve 100 mm travel. Contacted Hayes and they are sending me the top out spacers needed FOC! 😁👍
    Last edited by Blaster182; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    FYI Hayes is having a labor day sale for anyone who was waiting to pick one up:

https://hayesbicycle.com/collections...ivity_Fat+Bike
    Strong, Light, Cheap; Pick Two.

mtbr member
    So,
    The saga continues, I received the top out spacers today from Hayes continued on with the CSA replacement, and yet another hitch when trying to install late model CSA, the old top caps will not thread into the new crown the new one has a smaller diameter hole and will not let the caps thread in. Gonna have to make another call to Hayes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    So,
    The saga continues, I received the top out spacers today from Hayes continued on with the CSA replacement, and yet another hitch when trying to install late model CSA, the old top caps will not thread into the new crown the new one has a smaller diameter hole and will not let the caps thread in. Gonna have to make another call to Hayes.
    You have been given a CSA from a comp model. These have thicker stanchion walls than Pro so nothing will fit.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Just to reiterate I have a 2017 comp ext 100,
    I believe the transition to the longer CSA was fazed in 2019 to give more travel options, 80-140
    The part that I received was the updated part. The new 19 on have a small white dot on top of the iva cap which I believe is the smaller diameter one, and probably helps differentiate the long and short legs when assembled. For some reason they don't want you to mix the parts. I wonder if the shorter csa is still available? Will need to make another call. I'll keep you posted. Don't want anyone else going through this.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Sent you PM also. Looking at a small 2017 and want to put on the mastadon. Did the thicker race work for you? Thanks.
    Cane Creek sells 3 & 6mm extended crown races; look under the Solutions tab (+3 or +6mm 52/40 alloy crown race)

https://canecreek.com/product/headse...s-accessories/

I was able to use my existing split race and lower bearing from my Bucksaw with enough clearance. Anyone know how to post pics on this site?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone interested in a 120mm Pro non EXT model??? I have less than 6 hours on it and it's just not what I wanted it to be. Don't get me wrong I really like it but it adds to much weight for my carbon build and its REALLY noticeable. I took one spill on it and has a scuff on the lower right of it and I can get pics, other than that it's mint. If anyone is interested let me know. Steerer tube length is 8 7/8"!!!
    Last edited by justin51; 4 Days Ago at 05:51 AM. Reason: Adding Info

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    Cane Creek sells 3 & 6mm extended crown races; look under the Solutions tab (+3 or +6mm 52/40 alloy crown race)

https://canecreek.com/product/headse...s-accessories/

I was able to use my existing split race and lower bearing from my Bucksaw with enough clearance. Anyone know how to post pics on this site?
    Scroll down a bit and select "advanced" and there will be a button, "upload pictures"...

Quote Originally Posted by justin51 View Post
    Anyone interested in a 120mm Pro non EXT model??? I have less than 6 hours on it and it's just not what I wanted it to be. Don't get me wrong I really like it but it adds to much weight for my carbon build and its REALLY noticeable. I took one spill on it and has a scuff on the lower right of it and I can get pics, other than that it's mint. If anyone is interested let me know.
    I know that feeling all too well. Tried a squishy fork and didn't really care for the 90# sack of concrete on the handlebar feel. A little lower pressure in the front tire takes the edge off well enough but I would like a fork with a 520mm axle to crown to improve the stance of my bike.
    Also, do mention the steer length for folks to determine if your fork will serve their needs.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

My2019 - hsc

hi photo is sample from the internet but the knobs of my mastodon look the same
    my problem is i cant turn separately black one ... is it fixed or i dont understand anything?

Ive bought the fork as a pro_ext_120
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789