Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,437 of 1437
    mtbr member
    I've finally got the spacers all in house for those wanting to fit bigger tyres to the STD models.
    There are three spacers, Comp models use all three (incl travel adjust), Pro uses two of them. Take a look and tell me if this makes sense:

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mastodo...t-manitou.html
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Does the unmodified (no extra spacers) Mastodon STD fork take 26x4.8 tires? Some website reviews say yes but the company's chart says no. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2018
    it works with JJ 4.8 on my canyon dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    Does the unmodified (no extra spacers) Mastodon STD fork take 26x4.8 tires? Some website reviews say yes but the company's chart says no. Thanks
    Clearing my Bud no problem.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    That depends entirely on who made the 4.8" tyre and what it actually measures at. I've got a Mastodon customer with Jumbo Jim 4.8's that he measured at 766mm. So close to the 758mm OD that he decided to run with it stock. This is possibly the same website review you mention.

Officially the max you can run at standard height is (29.8" OD - 22" rim)/2 = 3.92" height.
    The 766mm measurement puts the JJ 4.8 (as measured) at 30.16" OD which makes them 4.08" tall from rim bead.

Bottom line, is step outside the manufacturers specs at your own risk.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks. Going with the Extended version. I don't want to change to a different tire down the road only to discover that it doesn't fit. The 120mm Extended version has an axle to crown of 551mm so going with the 100mm Useful information here. Thank you

mtbr member
    Thanks. Going with the Extended version. I don't want to change to a different tire down the road only to discover that it doesn't fit. The 120mm Extended version has an axle to crown of 551mm so going with the 100mm Useful information here. Thank you
    Unless you need 150mm travel with 5" rubber you're probably better with the STD version and some extra spacers under the bumpers.

A 120mm STD can be configured with a few spacers to do exactly the same tyre fitment and travel as a 100mm EXT. While still being able to fit up to 150mm travel with 4" rubber and having options in between.

It maximises your future options. Where a 100mm EXT version limits them.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Is it hard to change spacers on the STD ? Also, any advantage to going with the std with spacers versus 120mm Ext ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Is it hard to change spacers on the STD ? Also, any advantage to going with the std with spacers versus 120mm Ext ? Thanks
    Changing spacers is lower legs off and they're right there.

A standard has the option to go lower A-C if you fit smaller rubber in the future, the EXT can't without swapping shafts. That's basically it.

If you're buying a fork to fit to one bike and never going to change it's not an issue. But I know the average MTBR forum user likes to swap stuff.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It will be used 95% in the winter so 120 to 100mm will be fine. Leaning toward the 10Omm because the Big Jion is specíd for a 511 axle to crown. Thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi, sorry if I missed the point, but have not been following the thread for a long time.
    I have bought a Pole Taiga with 5.05" 2xl Vee Tyres. I suppose the only model to use for that tyre is the EXT version.
    But have I understood correctly if you want to go for a smaller tire, that it is possible to take down the length on the EXT, so it will be similar to the Standard version, with taking out spacers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    Hi, sorry if I missed the point, but have not been following the thread for a long time.
    I have bought a Pole Taiga with 5.05" 2xl Vee Tyres. I suppose the only model to use for that tyre is the EXT version.
    But have I understood correctly if you want to go for a smaller tire, that it is possible to take down the length on the EXT, so it will be similar to the Standard version, with taking out spacers?
    The EXT has longer internal shafts and cannot be lowered as far as the STD.

The STD with spacers can do the same tyre size as the EXT, but loses 20mm of travel due to the shorter rods internally.
    The STD with spacers is 5.25" max tyres and 130mm max travel.
    The EXT can do 5.25" max tyres with 150mm max travel.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

The STD with spacers can do the same tyre size as the EXT, but loses 20mm of travel due to the shorter rods internally.
    Dougal...I think you need to emphasize the STD needs the "bottom out" spacers ( seeing so many people here are confused)
    The VEe 5.05 will slightly rub the crown when it bottoms.....the EXT has plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Dougal...I think you need to emphasize the STD needs the "bottom out" spacers ( seeing so many people here are confused)
    The VEe 5.05 will slightly rub the crown when it bottoms.....the EXT has plenty of clearance.
    Absolutely. What's the OD of the Vee 5.05? These guys say 31.25": https://fat-bike.com/2015/08/product...2xl-5-05-tire/

If that's true at 793mm then you need the full 20mm of spacers under the bottom-out bumpers in the STD fork. Which gives it the same bottom-out clearance as the EXT.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Absolutely. What's the OD of the Vee 5.05? These guys say 31.25": https://fat-bike.com/2015/08/product...2xl-5-05-tire/

If that's true at 793mm then you need the full 20mm of spacers under the bottom-out bumpers in the STD fork. Which gives it the same bottom-out clearance as the EXT.
    Yup....it's a big tire. You might be able to get away with just 1 10mm spacer....but , yes, the full 20 would be better.
    I took a 120 STD...and with all the air let out, bounced it to compress the bumper and got the 5.05 to slightly rub while rolling along slow. It may or may not be worse at speed ( I wasn't going to try that)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You can technically can take out spacers....but because of the longer air shaft.....it won't work out well ( I tried it)
    Don't over think it and buy a EXT

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Going to pull the trigger on a Mastodon Pro Ext for my medium Scott Big Jon tomorrow. Mostly winter riding with post holes 100mm or 120mm? Thanks

mtbr member
    I have a 120 Mastodon STD PRO in very good condition, low miles, uncut steerer! Steerer has never come loose

PM me

SOLD!
    Last edited by mikeetheviking; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:53 AM. Reason: sold

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    I have a 120 Mastodon STD PRO in very good condition, low miles, uncut steerer! Steerer has never come loose

PM me

asking $450.00
    That's a great deal. If I was l was Lookbiker, or if I had not bought one 2 months ago, I would be all over that. With all the variations Manitou makes, the 120 STD seems to be adjustable enough to work for 95% of people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I donít want to deal with spacers for the wider tires so going with Extended version from the start

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    Small Wozo frame has clearance issue with knob. A light grind of the black knob could prevent a bent adjuster shaft.

Should i leave it? Should I grind it?

Other Questions:
    Mine gets 110mm travel. Is the new bottom out bumper available from Manitou?
    Is it easy to install?

What are you guys preferring: slow rebound to handle drops, jumps and chunky stuff or fast rebound to get it active for high speed runs?

Untitled by avyoung, on Flickr
    Sent you PM also. Looking at a small 2017 and want to put on the mastadon. Did the thicker race work for you? Thanks.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Found another Wozo 2017 brand new in the shop. Made the deal on the bike and traded in the Bluto, got a Mastodon 120mm Comp EXT. The bigger Crown Race will be installed.

Rode the 2019 Wozo for a test ride to see what the Mastodon would do. Far better than I thought possible.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Bumpyride,

The taller crown race takes care of the clearance issues on the small wozo. I have been running 140mm travel for a year now. I think I will pull it apart and set it to 150mm instead. Bike rides great with the mastodon. Enjoy your new ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Found another Wozo 2017 brand new in the shop. Made the deal on the bike and traded in the Bluto, got a Mastodon 120mm Comp EXT. The bigger Crown Race will be installed.

Rode the 2019 Wozo for a test ride to see what the Mastodon would do. Far better than I thought possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    Hi Bumpyride,

The taller crown race takes care of the clearance issues on the small wozo. I have been running 140mm travel for a year now. I think I will pull it apart and set it to 150mm instead. Bike rides great with the mastodon. Enjoy your new ride!
    Thanks. Reading through this whole thread helped me not make a mistake. Your 2017 small picture kind of sealed the deal. I looked at the 2019 and it was not the bike I wanted. It was, however, pretty insightful to ride the 2019 with the Mastodon and see what a difference in the ride it made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I have been too busy to thank for the recommendations here, sorry for late reply!

For me it needs to be a EXT, with pictures with spikes hitting the crown on the STD, it seems not possible to use STD.
    Since I am going to use a 120mm travel fork for the Pole Taiga, with the largest diameter tires out there in 27.5"x 4,5 including studs. Bontrager Barb and GnarWhale. Want also to have the Cake Eater 4.5 that is the same diameter as the 2XL Vee.

So for me the choice of EXT/STD should not do any difference of AC since a modified STD will have same AC like EXT. STD AC length with 120mm travel will be 20mm+20mm= +40mm minus 20mm less AC length, AC length as exactly like EXT.

mtbr member
    I have been too busy to thank for the recommendations here, sorry for late reply!

For me it needs to be a EXT, with pictures with spikes hitting the crown on the STD, it seems not possible to use STD.
    Since I am going to use a 120mm travel fork for the Pole Taiga, with the largest diameter tires out there in 27.5"x 4,5 including studs. Bontrager Barb and GnarWhale. Want also to have the Cake Eater 4.5 that is the same diameter as the 2XL Vee.

So for me the choice of EXT/STD should not do any difference of AC since a modified STD will have same AC like EXT. STD AC length with 120mm travel will be 20mm+20mm= +40mm minus 20mm less AC length, AC length as exactly like EXT.
    The addition of spacers in the STD will stop the spikes hitting the crown. With 2x10mm spacers in each side it has the same clearance as the EXT.

A-C will be dictated by clearance and travel.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The addition of spacers in the STD will stop the spikes hitting the crown. With 2x10mm spacers in each side it has the same clearance as the EXT.

A-C will be dictated by clearance and travel.
    Yes so my calculation is for a STD fork:
    Increased clearance +20mm
    Reduced travel -20mm (from 120 to 100mm
    Increased travel +20mm
    =Total increased AC lengt +20mm

Is that not exactly the difference in EXT and STD AC length?

mtbr member
    So.....now that my mastodon has been sold, I figured I would take a moment here to share some thoughts

I ran a pro std 120 in 29+ mode with no internal mods on a FS Waltworks

Just wanted to say that I loved the fork and HIGHLY recommend it if you are in the market for a fat fork.

It never felt heavy, I could lift it and wheelie with ease. And it behaved like any fine piece of equipment should.

Just get one!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I read that there's a new Mastodon Pro with IRT but don't see anyone selling it yet. I wonder will Manitou sell IRT upgrade separately?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    I read that there's a new Mastodon Pro with IRT but don't see anyone selling it yet. I wonder will Manitou sell IRT upgrade separately?
    The IRT unit is sold separately, so just buy it and put it on the fork. It is around 60USD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The IRT unit is sold separately, so just buy it and put it on the fork. It is around 60USD.
    As far as I know earlier IRT was sold only for Mattoc forks. I have contacted Manitou a year ago if I can put IRT into my Mastodon and they replied they aren't compatible.

mtbr member
    Iím running an IRT in both of my Mastodon forks as well as my Mattoc. I love the tuning options and the benefits to both are similar. They are definitely compatible. Itís odd Manitou would say itís not, maybe the CS did not know when the Mastodon first came out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    Iím running an IRT in both of my Mastodon forks as well as my Mattoc. I love the tuning options and the benefits to both are similar. They are definitely compatible. Itís odd Manitou would say itís not, maybe the CS did not know when the Mastodon first came out?
    I have used on three different Mastodon forks, so that is wrong. They fit. It is the IRT for Mattoc Expert, you can see it here:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2172736.html?q=irt

You will even see en the bottom of these page on Manitou site, that it is Setup guide for Mattoc and Mastodon.
    https://manitoumtb.com/product/mrd-irt/?cat_id=26

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Ok, great. So you guys can confirm that Mattoc IRT can be installed ninto Mastodon Pro fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Ok, great. So you guys can confirm that Mattoc IRT can be installed ninto Mastodon Pro fork?
    Check here it says "Mattoc/Mastodon IRT Set-up Guide" on the IRT web page for Manitou, so yes for the secon time I can confirm that is possible to install it and I have done so for 3 different Mastodon Pro forks.

See link https://manitoumtb.com/product/mrd-irt/?cat_id=26

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Check here it says "Mattoc/Mastodon IRT Set-up Guide" on the IRT web page for Manitou, so yes for the secon time I can confirm that is possible to install it and I have done so for 3 different Mastodon Pro forks.

See link https://manitoumtb.com/product/mrd-irt/?cat_id=26
    Ok, thanks.

They have updated their website recently. Previously, there was no mention about Mastodon forks. In the product description it still doesn't have Mastodon listed: " This tool is compatible with the following fork models: ē Mattoc Pro 2 ē Mattoc Pro ē Mattoc Expert ē Doradro Pro ē Dorado Expert Trail"

Yeah, I know that Mastodon is basically is fat version of Mattoc 2 fork...

mtbr member
    Regarding IRT. There are two different stanchion internal diameters.

Pro models and Comp models. Comp models are smaller ID due to thicker stanchion walls due to softer 6000 series aluminium stanchions.

Mattoc Pro & Expert used the same stanchions with same ID since the start and IRT screws straight into those.

I have not yet tried to fit IRT into a Mastodon. I would try it but I'm currently out of Mastodon stock. Given @Rumblefish2010 and @Aresab have run it, it is clear they fit and work.

Standard caution for IRT: Make sure the shaft is greased during install, or the seal inside the IRT piston wears out quickly.
    SPV Devolve

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415