Makwa fork ride reports- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Makwa fork ride reports

Before I pull the trigger on the upgrade from the recall I would like to get a ride report. If you have a beargrease or have installed on Mukluk any thoughts and reports would be awesome. Does the thru axle make things feel much more solid? I know I want to thru axle my rear end.
    Thank
    Zach

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've been happy with mine and would do it again. Front end seems more solid but yet more forgiving but I don't know how much of the ride improvement is real or just in my head justifying the purchase lol

Plus it just fit the theme of my bike to well

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bberck View Post
    Front end seems more solid but yet more forgiving but I don't know how much of the ride improvement is real or just in my head justifying the purchase lol
    Hey...

You there.

Points for honesty.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

mtbr member

Makwa fork ride reports

That looks great same color red 2014 muk that my dad had that was stolen. We got it back but the ******* had a chop shop and ground out all the serial numbers on bb and stamped a new one. In the process ruining the bottom bracket.

My only worry is strength. I am a big dude and load my bike down for bikepacking.

What hubs are you running and wheels? That is a beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nice photo. The fork looks great on there.

I've been happy with mine and would do it again. Front end seems more solid but yet more forgiving but I don't know how much of the ride improvement is real or just in my head justifying the purchase lol

Plus it just fit the theme of my bike to well

Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's my 29plus wheelset built with Hope Fatsno hubs and Surly Rabbitt hole wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here is the stock wheels I drilled holes in.

mtbr member

Makwa fork ride reports

The red just stands out awesome. I am gonna drill my white rims and use red marge lite strips under my gorilla tape. It fits the middle of the Darryl perfect and covers the spoke nipples.

Man so it looks like you have deore xt brakes. Went to a single chain ring and is that a Wolftooth out back? That is what I want to do minus the brakes. Just not sure on a 30t. I think I am gonna try the absolute black 26t 64bcd NW. Did you switch derailluers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ya its a 42 wolftooth on the back and a 30 tooth on the front. I had to switch the cassette and rear dérailleur both are XT. The 42 only works with certain 10 speed cassettes and mine came with a nine speed.

mtbr member
    Beautiful Bike!
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    man, this thread went ot quick!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Uh, yah. Nice muk, but does anybody have anything substantial to say about this fork?

I'd love to hear from somebody that has also ridden other carbon offerings...ie. Carver, Chi-whatever. Not a lot of 483mm AC options, so my interest is piqued on the Salsa fork for sure. This and I've seen a few takeoffs up for grabs cheapish from folks gone Blutonian.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I put a makwa carbon fork on my mukluk ti last winter right after buying the frame, mostly to save weight. Steering stiffness is excellent. It's a burly carbon fork, not noticeably compliant. I have fr and rear thru axles on all my normal mtn bikes and find the old school QR dropouts in the fatbike world endemic to a low tech Surly type of mentality. Not surprisingly, the trend is toward thru axles front and rear in the FB world...better late than never I guess.

I don't think many here really get, or discuss, the Salsa design philosophy. A salsa frame set meets CEN standard for strength. Putting the bad batch of ALU forks aside, the Salsa frames and forks are all about strength at moderate (not light) weights. Meanwhile the mystery Chinese brands, and the branded imports like Borealis and Lamere, say nothing about meeting any strength standards AFAIK. The makwa is over 200 g heavier than several chinese carbon forks.

Whether that's a plus or not is your decision. I'm a bigger guy riding rocky trails when climbing to snowline, so for me the decision was to go with Salsa ti frame and the makwa. I know my bike will never be 23 lbs but that's ok .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here is the stock wheels I drilled holes in.

What is the rear spacing on that frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The Salsa is the only one with the 51mm offset or rake, all the other carbon forks I have seen are 45mm. The Bluto is also 51mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbiker74 View Post
    I put a makwa carbon fork on my mukluk ti last winter right after buying the frame, mostly to save weight. Steering stiffness is excellent. It's a burly carbon fork, not noticeably compliant. I have fr and rear thru axles on all my normal mtn bikes and find the old school QR dropouts in the fatbike world endemic to a low tech Surly type of mentality. Not surprisingly, the trend is toward thru axles front and rear in the FB world...better late than never I guess.

I don't think many here really get, or discuss, the Salsa design philosophy. A salsa frame set meets CEN standard for strength. Putting the bad batch of ALU forks aside, the Salsa frames and forks are all about strength at moderate (not light) weights. Meanwhile the mystery Chinese brands, and the branded imports like Borealis and Lamere, say nothing about meeting any strength standards AFAIK. The makwa is over 200 g heavier than several chinese carbon forks.

Whether that's a plus or not is your decision. I'm a bigger guy riding rocky trails when climbing to snowline, so for me the decision was to go with Salsa ti frame and the makwa. I know my bike will never be 23 lbs but that's ok .
    Thanks for the great feedback. Mukluk or Custom Carver Ti + the Makwa is one endgame I'm plotting for a 170mm spaced SS'able ripper for next summer. Until then I'm thinking about it on my ICT. Only prob there is 15 x 150mm stock hubs, Makwa = 142mm. Maybe it means I get to rationalize an early purchase of the 142mm convertible Marge Lites I had planned...

mtbr member

Makwa fork ride reports

What do people here think of the carver forks? I know that Bjorn used one to ride across Alaska so that is a good testament. They have a few carbon options. As with the makwa you would need either the front hub they sell to use a thru axle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just put a Makwa on my 2013 Mukluk and I love it. The turning seems much more responsive - it seems easier to weave around stuff.

As far as things feeling more "solid" - I think it does, but I dunno how much of that is due to the thru axle vs going from CroMoly to Carbon.

I should mention that I also went from the stock unholy rolling darryls/Nate tire to a Marge Lite/45Nrth unstudded Dillinger, which reduced the weight as well.