mtbr member

Made a NEW FAT BIKER YESTERDAY

Took a buddy who is interested in fat bikes yesterday. Let him ride my Amarok XLT and he LOVED IT! We did 14 miles and he did not fall 1 time. He crashes a good bit on his trail 3. He was really doing great. He is going to buy the Amarok and I am buying a nice shiny Farley7!!! I explained how much riding the fatty will improve his overall riding abilities. I could se the transformation taking place. The gleam in the eye. The smile on the face. The clothes got too big as he regressed back to 12 years an BAM! He was hooked!!! Am glad to get someone to buy it and enjoy it!

Will be ordering the Farley this week!! Trying to decide which size as there are not many around my area to test ride. am 6'1" and thin I am going with the 21.5 as it is really 20.5 . The flash is 21.5 and fits me well.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice job.
    I think fatbikes actually reduce skills since you don't need to pick lines or avoid small obstacles but your friend doesn't need to know that
    I like my fatbike for those reasons though.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    Nice job.
    I think fatbikes actually reduce skills since you don't need to pick lines or avoid small obstacles but your friend doesn't need to know that
    I like my fatbike for those reasons though.
    Not necessarily.... on a fat bike you can pick more difficult and challenging lines which require more skill and will make you a better rider. If you don't take advantage of the extra capabilities of the fat bike, then yes it can make you a lazy rider, but if you up the anti, your skills can improve while riding more difficult lines/terrain.

mtbr member
    I found myself doing just that with the fatty N8R. Did it without thinking about it. Also found that on the occasional ride on my lefty I have grown into a better and smarter rider which = faster. Now the Amorok is a 40lb behemoth of a bike but it made me a stronger rider. My buddy is learning and he was not afraid like he is on his c-dale. He did things that he would not have tried on his other bike. The confidence that a fatty gives is amazing!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6