Lurch vs. Minnesota- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    106

    Lurch vs. Minnesota

    I've narrowed down my bike choice:

    Between the Framed Minnesota 3.0 and the Motobecane Lurch FS - which way would you go?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    375
    The Minnesota has the aluminum frame, so I'd go that way.

    Then I'd replace the brakes with Hydraulic & larger 180mm rotors.

    Otherwise she looks like a nice ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    The Minnesota has the aluminum frame, so I'd go that way.

    Then I'd replace the brakes with Hydraulic & larger 180mm rotors.

    Otherwise she looks like a nice ride.
    It feels like the Lurch has better components and a steel frame.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    375
    Most riders don't want a heavy steel frame. Most are bragging when they remove a few ounces of weight from a bike.

    You also should spray Framesaver in all the tubes of a steel bike and hang it in different positions for a few days WHEN BRAND NEW (you need to do this before it starts to rust). Grease all your threads BEFORE you spray the Framesaver. This gives you a slight delay before you can start riding, but it's a step that you should not skip.

    The Lurch does have one 180mm rotor (and one 160mm), so at least one of the rotors is better.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eve6e8epKQ

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    375
    Tone emailed me asking why old BMX bikes took forever to rust from the inside out, and new ones seem to instantly rust out.

    I believe it's two things:

    1. The steel on new bikes is many times thinner than back in the day. Since riders only want their bikes lighter and lighter, bike frames have become thinner and thinner.

    2. The grade of "chrome molly" USA steel probably was much better than the Chinese steel used today.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Most riders don't want a heavy steel frame. Most are bragging when they remove a few ounces of weight from a bike.

    You also should spray Framesaver in all the tubes of a steel bike and hang it in different positions for a few days WHEN BRAND NEW (you need to do this before it starts to rust). Grease all your threads BEFORE you spray the Framesaver. This gives you a slight delay before you can start riding, but it's a step that you should not skip.

    The Lurch does have one 180mm rotor (and one 160mm), so at least one of the rotors is better.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eve6e8epKQ
    Good idea.

    The lurch uses the same steel as Surly, CroMo: Some Things About Our Steel | Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveMaine View Post
    Good idea.

    The lurch uses the same steel as Surly, CroMo: Some Things About Our Steel | Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes
    Yeah, I've got a Surly Moonlander.

    It would probably be 5 pounds lighter and a little stiffer if made from aluminum.

    But I love it because it's a fun bike.

    (I did put larger 180mm Hydro brakes on it after I had it for awhile)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Yeah, I've got a Surly Moonlander.

    It would probably be 5 pounds lighter and a little stiffer if made from aluminum.

    But I love it because it's a fun bike.

    (I did put larger 180mm Hydro brakes on it after I had it for awhile)
    Do you use it for trail riding?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveMaine View Post
    Do you use it for trail riding?
    Yes, of course.

  10. #10
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,253
    Personally Lurch. Better cranks, bottom bracket, better rims (easy tubeless conversion not fuss no muss), everything else is comparable. The only advantage I see to the Minnesota is replaceable derailleur hanger and ability to run a more modern dropper post if that's your thing.

    With regards to the hanger, I've ridden and known people who've ridden Surly's for years and never had an issue with a hanger, so to me I wouldn't be concerned. Dropper post Gravity Dropper still makes the most reliable 27.2 posts but you'll be stuck with 100mm drop if you go lurch. Anyhow that's my 02$

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    127
    Lurch. My family has two 3.0's. Decent bikes but nothing extraordinary IMO. Wolftrax is another story. If you're considering Framed I'd highly recommend considering wolftrax. Lurch looks like a nice ride.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    Lurch. My family has two 3.0's. Decent bikes but nothing extraordinary IMO. Wolftrax is another story. If you're considering Framed I'd highly recommend considering wolftrax. Lurch looks like a nice ride.
    yeah, I started looking at the Alaskan, but I have concerns over the geometry (low bottom bracket). And I started looking at the Motobecane Sturgis Bullet...decisions, decisions.

Similar Threads

  1. The Lurch Lounge
    By rex615 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 2079
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 02:45 PM
  2. 2016 Lurch FS with Bluto
    By SurferBugs in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 01:57 PM
  3. Next fat bike: Pugsley or Lurch?
    By riverat in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
  4. Stripping Lurch
    By djrez4 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.