Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

The Lurch Lounge

This will be the thread for the Bikes Direct, Motobecane Lurch

Please post any questions, pictures, comments, modifications........here.

mtbr member
    Now lets see who posts the first picture.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How come there isn't a Pugsley thread? I'm starting it. Haha.

mtbr member
    Signature required....I will not be home at the time of delivery. Anyone use the "change delivery" option and have the bike sent to UPS Store?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    Now lets see who posts the first picture.
    Yeah, this will be fun. Mine doesn't arrive until 9/8. Others have already posted that theirs will be arriving as early as 9/4, so I'm looking forward to watching, while I'm waiting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine is scheduled for delivery on 9/4 but may not be home to sign for it. I will probably have it redirected to a UPS store if it doesn't take additional days to do that.

mtbr member
    I tried to change delivery, but it would not allow me to do so. I was able to change it allow for delivery without signature. I will just have to wait and see how that goes. Delivery set for Thursday. At least I will be off on Friday to take delivery if they do not leave it Thursday. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickngas View Post
    I tried to change delivery, but it would not allow me to do so. I was able to change it allow for delivery without signature.
    Same here. The UPS site is not all that user-friendly wrt this action - I had to goof around for a while. I first went into the normal tracking screen and tried to use the 'Change Delivery' button,

The Lurch Lounge-capture03.png

. . . which would bring up this screen. When I logged in, it would just take me back to the first screen. And endless loop that was going nowhere.

The Lurch Lounge-capture04.png

Somehow, I eventually got to this page:

The Lurch Lounge-capture05.png

I clicked the 'Cycle Spectrum' link and it took me to this next page. I tried the 'Change Delivery' feature, and it sent me the message that I was not allowed to change delivery. Next I tried 'Provide Delivery Instructions'

The Lurch Lounge-capture06.png

. . . and it took me to this page, which allowed me to authorize the shipment release without signature.

The Lurch Lounge-capture07.png

I plan to work from home that afternoon so I am there when it comes anyway, but am glad to get the signature requirement waived, just in case it gets delivered outside of the estimated window.

I was hoping to get delivery changed to a pickup at UPS, on the off chance that this would allow me to pick it up on Friday, instead of waiting for delivery on Monday. I may try again next week to see if I can figure out a way to get this done.

mtbr member
    Exactly what I had to do Spovegas...good tutorial. Looks like the only option. Oh well, the waiting has given me time to order accessories.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    Same here. The UPS site is not all that user-friendly wrt this action - I had to goof around for a while. I first went into the normal tracking screen and tried to use the 'Change Delivery' button,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture03.PNG 
Views:	716 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	919517

. . . which would bring up this screen. When I logged in, it would just take me back to the first screen. And endless loop that was going nowhere.

Name:	Capture04.PNG 
Views:	660 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	919518

Somehow, I eventually got to this page:

Name:	Capture05.PNG 
Views:	743 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	919519

I clicked the 'Cycle Spectrum' link and it took me to this next page. I tried the 'Change Delivery' feature, and it sent me the message that I was not allowed to change delivery. Next I tried 'Provide Delivery Instructions'

Name:	Capture06.PNG 
Views:	620 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	919520

. . . and it took me to this page, which allowed me to authorize the shipment release without signature.

Name:	Capture07.PNG 
Views:	1105 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	919521

I plan to work from home that afternoon so I am there when it comes anyway, but am glad to get the signature requirement waived, just in case it gets delivered outside of the estimated window.

I was hoping to get delivery changed to a pickup at UPS, on the off chance that this would allow me to pick it up on Friday, instead of waiting for delivery on Monday. I may try again next week to see if I can figure out a way to get this done.
    Still can't get past the endless loop of signing in and changing delivery. Getting really frustrated. Considering UPS is the most expensive shipping option I figure they would have a functional website...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    Still can't get past the endless loop of signing in and changing delivery. Getting really frustrated. Considering UPS is the most expensive shipping option I figure they would have a functional website...
    I have not tried 3 different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE) and none of them (no matter how many 'loops' I do of signing in and changing shipping) will let me progress to the calendar screen shown in spovegas's post. I have also noticed the website is too stupid to 'Remember Me' even when that box is checked.

mtbr member
    hedz0r,

Google 'ups my choice delivery planner' and pick the link shown.

The Lurch Lounge-capture08.png

It should take you to this page.

The Lurch Lounge-capture09.png

Follow the login process from here and it should take you right to the calendar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The easiest way to change delivery option is to call Ups on the phone with your tracking number and tell them what you want. The web site bites. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    hedz0r,

Google 'ups my choice delivery planner' and pick the link shown.

Name:	Capture08.PNG 
Views:	535 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	919587

It should take you to this page.

Name:	Capture09.PNG 
Views:	610 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	919588

Follow the login process from here and it should take you right to the calendar.
    Yes I did end up doing this after I posted my last comment(rant). I have 3 packages being delivered this coming week, one on the 2nd, one on the 3rd and of course the Lurch on the 4th. My first two packages are listed on the Delivery Planner calendar and the Lurch is not. (go figure..) Begrudgingly I called UPS and their CSR was about as helpful as the website is. Unfortunately I was not able to 'release' my package via her, but she informed me I could on the website (......great......). She told me that since UPS only got the package yesterday it may be too soon to be able to control the shipping change on the website. This makes no sense to me as everyone's pre-ordered Lurch shipped yesterday and obviously people are able to change the shipping on their bikes. She told me to check their webpage the next few days to see if I will be able to change the shipping info then. Otherwise I need to call their Tech Support line. Since I am I am a software programmer I find this very frustrating and am positive she is feeding me a like of bull.... but will wait to see if I am every granted control over shipping on their awful website. My distaste for brown has just increased significantly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    Yes I did end up doing this after I posted my last comment(rant). I have 3 packages being delivered this coming week, one on the 2nd, one on the 3rd and of course the Lurch on the 4th. My first two packages are listed on the Delivery Planner calendar and the Lurch is not. (go figure..) Begrudgingly I called UPS and their CSR was about as helpful as the website is. Unfortunately I was not able to 'release' my package via her, but she informed me I could on the website (......great......). She told me that since UPS only got the package yesterday it may be too soon to be able to control the shipping change on the website. This makes no sense to me as everyone's pre-ordered Lurch shipped yesterday and obviously people are able to change the shipping on their bikes. She told me to check their webpage the next few days to see if I will be able to change the shipping info then. Otherwise I need to call their Tech Support line. Since I am I am a software programmer I find this very frustrating and am positive she is feeding me a like of bull.... but will wait to see if I am every granted control over shipping on their awful website. My distaste for brown has just increased significantly.
    Sorry, man. Hope you have some better luck in the next few days.

Candlestick Maker
    Delivery scheduled for 9/4 and I should be home. :-)
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    The easiest way to change delivery option is to call Ups on the phone with your tracking number and tell them what you want. The web site bites. Good luck.
    Calling a person on the phone? what is that, sounds way to easy...
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

banned
    Sep 2008
    lbs.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Subbed. I want to live my Fatbike life vicariously thru you guys. Just emailed my signed contract to my new house tonight. Post lots of pics of your bikes and I promise to post a pic of my "New" house !

mtbr member
    You guys should change the title of this thread to "the ins and outs of UPS delivery" and start a new Lurcher thread, lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I learned something!

AOK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, I never bother with all of the online delivery rescheduling stuff. I just leave a yellow sticky note taped to my front door that says "UPS (or Fedex) please leave delivery without signature". Hasn't failed me yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    You guys should change the title of this thread to "the ins and outs of UPS delivery" and start a new Lurcher thread, lol.
    Not as exciting as pic of new bike but the information is pertinent and timely because many of us are going through this same issue due to work schedules and what not.

mtbr member
    No sh*t! By the time one of us gets his Lurch, there will be 5 pages of this crap. lol

mtbr member
    I recently was having the same awful time trying to get a package (handlebar bag) left at my door without a signature. It finally worked after signing up for UPS My Choice through Facebook. https://apps.facebook.com/ups_mychoice/ I signed in through FB and then clicked the link in the FB UPS My Choice app for "Will Call" so I could pick up the package at a UPS Customer Center nearby. It was best option for me since I work during the week and was not home to sign for package after 2 delivery attempts. I just signed/picked up package today (Sat.) since their hours 10am-3pm fit my schedule on the weekend. It would be very helpful if UPS had online option so you could "Leave package at door without signature" and you could simply "check" a box that stated that UPS is not liable for packages left at residence.

The FB UPS My Choice app also has "Add Reroute Packages" = Invite trusted friends and family to accept packages on your behalf when you are away. When you click link, it brings up all your FB friends list and helps send them a message: "I need your help. Have you ever missed the delivery of an important package because you couldn't be home to pick it up? By accepting this request, you can receive rerouted packages from me in case I can't be at home. Please accept my request."

Hope this info helps someone.
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    90% of the posts in the 100 page plus Moto Bike's Direct thread are concerned with people who post to say one of three things: they ordered, their order is on the way, or they ordered a motobecane fatty vs. brand X. The other 10% is people posting to defend their direct, online purchase.

Pictures of bikes and actual ride reports appear as statistical anomalies.

mtbr member

Temporary Relief

The Lurch Lounge-10307166_10153342246284368_8409690921259103140_n.jpg

It is a stock pic from BD's Facebook page but at least it is a pic.

Mine is supposed to be team orange.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting a pic of MY bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK. I decided on a Lurch. I just need to decide on size. I am 6' 1", but have long upper torso and arms. I wear long tall shirts, as large is to short and xl is too wide. My pants are 32" inseam. I have rode large Proflex 957 for 12 years (stolen), large Kona ht, large Specialized FSR Expert.

I would assume a 20".

Opinions?

This will be my only bike. Mainly used for towing kids in Burley and fun. Rare trail use. Lots of winter use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    OK. I decided on a Lurch. I just need to decide on size.
    I would assume a 20".
    UPDATE

Ordered the only 20" they had in stock. Not the color option I wanted, but a first fat bike is better than no fat bike!
    Welcome: One more Lurch owner!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: The Lurch Lounge

UPDATE

Welcome: One more Lurch owner!
    Thanks. Looking forward to trying it out.

mtbr member
    I plan on taking the Lurch apart, before even riding it, to check everything out and replace/repack bearing grease. I figure it will be good insurance since I will be mainly riding the beaches of NC. On a mission. What grease would you guys recommend to help stave off the salt water as best as possible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickngas View Post
    I plan on taking the Lurch apart, before even riding it, to check everything out and replace/repack bearing grease. I figure it will be good insurance since I will be mainly riding the beaches of NC. On a mission. What grease would you guys recommend to help stave off the salt water as best as possible?
    Marine grease is generally accepted as the best option for "ocean going" bicycles. You can use Phil's if you really want to be baller, but it basically repackaged marine grease.

While adjustment and lubrication is a very good practice with a new bike from BD, I don't know how much you can actually repack on a Lurch. According to the specs and what i can see in the pics, the bottom bracket is sealed and the wheel bearing appear to be sealed also.

The head bearings would be recommended since they are the first to get splashed if you don't run fenders.

Please let us know what you find when you do your initial inspection.
    Last edited by rex615; 09-02-2014 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Will do. Pics as well!

mtbr member
    According to the UPS website my Lurch sat in Houston TX all weekend. At 6:13 am it left Houston. Still a long way from North Carolina.

Delivery is still scheduled for Thursday.

Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ordered a lurch on Sunday. Waiting to get s shipping or tracking email. I know they were closed over the holiday weekend. Just never got a tracking number when I ordered like most seemed to have.

mtbr member
    Ordered a lurch on Sunday. Waiting to get s shipping or tracking email. I know they were closed over the holiday weekend. Just never got a tracking number when I ordered like most seemed to have.
    I believe the tracking number is usually sent the next working day after you place an order. They have to process it and get in touch with UPS who actually activates the tracking number. So you should get one later today or tomorrow.

In the case of the "pre-ordered" Lurches, an inactive tracking number was issued the next day, but it didn't show activity until the bike actually shipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ordered my black lurch a month ago. UPS says it will arrive by Friday. The only thing I have planned is to apply frame saver the inside of the frame and fork. I have some thomson bits from my 29r that might go on the lurch but I really wanna just leave it stock and just ride the damn thing! I would like to try tubeless at some point but I will wait till other folks do it first.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    90% of the posts in the 100 page plus Moto Bike's Direct thread are concerned with people who post to say one of three things: they ordered, their order is on the way, or they ordered a motobecane fatty vs. brand X. The other 10% is people posting to defend their direct, online purchase.

haha! nailed it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post

You forgot to mention, "What size bike should I get?"
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    You forgot to mention, "What size bike should I get?"
    i
    And a bunch of replies telling you the size you picked is wrong for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My approach to the Motobecane Lurch (mine will be arriving tomorrow) was this:

I looked at the frame geometry of the Lurch on BikesDirect's website. It is uncannily close to the Surly Moonlander. I went to one of my trusted local bike shops, spoke with them about what I was planning on doing (transparency here was important to me) and took a few different size Moonlanders out for test rides. Now I'm 5'8" with a 30.5" inseam and freakishly long arms. I ended up deciding on the 16" Lurch. This may not be a luxury or opportunity that everyone has, but taking a look at the frame geometry and then finding a comparable bike in a shop to test fit yourself to has worked for me in the past and will likely work for me here.

Though these bikes come "90%" assembled, it'd be wise to make sure to torque the stem face bolts properly, check caliper alignment, and bed the discs gradually. There are some pretty good tutorials about bedding pads and rotors for optimal function. This one has served me well in the past: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/art...ke-pads-31337/

One of the great things is BikesDirect is producing a fat tire bike with a decent frame at a price that will get people that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford them, on a fat bike. The bike can easily turn into a tweaker's dream. Hope everyone that gets one enjoys it. I just wish I would have been a little more patient because now the purple is in stock (mine will be black).

I'll post some photos of the ride when I get it together this weekend and will be riding it in the last underwear bike ride of the year in Milwaukee.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Lurch Lounge-frame-compare.jpg For those interested in geometry comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genefruit View Post
    I just run across the Acros Blocklock headset that's been out for a few years but I'd never heard of it. I have not experience with it (yet) - BLOCKLOCK - ACROS
    Neat solution to limit Fork travel. Might be useful for running a Bluto on the Lurch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That right there is very interesting. $71.00 for the upper headset assembly from Universal Cycles.

mtbr member
    Don't be afraid to weigh your brand new Lurch and/or parts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll say upwards of 40 lbs depending on frame size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My lovely Yellow Lurch land in Wenatchee on Thursday

Yes Dorothy, we will go riding fat on Friday!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackinator View Post
    I'll say upwards of 40 lbs depending on frame size.
    Since we are guessing, I say my 22" will go 38lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You are probably close, not 40lb. Lg Boris was 35lb. I'd guess 37/38
    I cancelled a week ago but back in with 20/Grape. The small dia. tubes are just too nice

Edit/ I was referring to the first generation Boris/72TPI
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 09-03-2014 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    I cancelled a week ago but back in with 20/Grape. The small dia. tubes are just too nice
    And most of that weight is in the wheels and tires, when ever I took them off the frame is super light.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I will put mine on the digital scale this weekend when I build it at the shop and snap a photo for verification.

mtbr member
    In that case, I will revise my guess to 37lbs. The Lurch's steel frame is prolly only 2 pounds heavier than the Boris' aluminium frame. The tires on the Lurch are probably lighter too.

mtbr member

No bike yet, but the goodies are starting to come in.

The Lurch Lounge-20140903_201018_resized.jpg

My summer tires and a spare toob.

I will probably save the Snowshoes for that first snow. (like we get much snow in the Carolinas)

Plus these tires remind me of trials universals like they run on trials motorbikes.

mtbr member
    In that case, I will revise my guess to 37lbs. The Lurch's steel frame is prolly only 2 pounds heavier than the Boris' aluminium frame. The tires on the Lurch are probably lighter too.
    Boris X9 tires are 120 tpi, Lurch tires are 72 tpi...so probably not lighter than the Boris tires. At least look at provided specs before guestimating. Is this entire thread going to be dominated by you guessing about sh!t and spouting conjectural crap? Because if so, I will start a different Lurch thread with actual info when mine arrives with useful information that can be utilized by other rider/owners. LOL to that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I will start a different Lurch thread with actual info when mine arrives with useful information that can be utilized by other rider/owners. LOL to that.
    Be my guest, there is plenty of room on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    At least look at provided specs before guestimating. Is this entire thread going to be dominated by you guessing about sh!t and spouting conjectural crap? Because if so, I will start a different Lurch thread with actual info when mine arrives with useful information that can be utilized by other rider/owners.
    Calm the hate if you can, man. Seems to just be people excited about their new rides. Seem like intellectual people that will share helpful information once the bikes arrive. Ain't no thang. If anything just let people know that commonly higher threads per inch mean lighter.

mtbr member
    He is just upset that his call to stop the use of LOL fell on deaf ears.

Post #3179 over on the "Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!" thread

Candlestick Maker
    Boris X9 tires are 120 tpi, Lurch tires are 72 tpi...so probably not lighter than the Boris tires. At least look at provided specs before guestimating. Is this entire thread going to be dominated by you guessing about sh!t and spouting conjectural crap? Because if so, I will start a different Lurch thread with actual info when mine arrives with useful information that can be utilized by other rider/owners. LOL to that.
    I guess we'll see about tire weights soon, but 120 tpi vs 72 tpi isn't the only difference with the tires.

Boris X9 tires - VEE Rubber 26"x4.0 MISSION 120TPI FB F/V
    Mission | VEE Tire Co.
    1370 (probably 120tpi folding) -1930 (probably 72tpi wire bead) claimed
    Tire Weights for Fat-Bikes | FAT-BIKE.COM
    1370-1420g measured

Lurch tires - VEE RUBBER 26X4.5 Snow Shoe SBK 72TPI Foldable
    Snowshoe | VEE Tire Co.
    1260g (probably 120tpi) -1485g (probably 72tpi) claimed

Supposedly, Vee is conservative with weight estimates, so the tires might actually be quite comparable in weight.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/vee...ht-879551.html
    baker

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looking forward to see what people think when they receive their bikes Thursday.

I will be getting mine on Friday. Hoping not too many issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So you're mad about someone not providing concrete evidence to support their claim, then you say "so probably not lighter than the Boris tires". Go home, Steve.

Candlestick Maker
    "We were unable to dispatch the trailer on time. This may cause a delay." Ha! Good thing I stayed home from work today for the signature....
    baker

mtbr member

Arrived

Packaged as expected, no issues as of yet, but this is just the initial assembly. Didn't receive pedals. Initial impression - pretty impressed. Paint job is beautiful, welds are clean, packaged well and survived transport, pre assembly on par with the 100+ other bikes i've built out of the box. Time to tune and hit the trails (and steal pedals off another ride). Specs and weights to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-img_3476.jpg  

The Lurch Lounge-img_3477.jpg  

The Lurch Lounge-img_3479.jpg  

The Lurch Lounge-img_3480.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Packaged as expected, no issues as of yet, but this is just the initial assembly. Didn't receive pedals. Initial impression - pretty impressed. Paint job is beautiful, welds are clean, packaged well and survived transport, pre assembly on par with the 100+ other bikes i've built out of the box. Time to tune and hit the trails (and steal pedals off another ride). Specs and weights to come.
    That purple is freakin' awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Another purple here. Bike box had a few small holes at top and there is a bit of damage to clear coat on top tube. I can live with it but I'll ask BD about it. Otherwise bike is awesome, will hit local single track tonight. Weighs in at just under 40lbs for the XL with spd.

The Lurch Lounge-img_20140904_113452.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_20140904_113357.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_20140904_113506.jpg

NeedGod.com
    Those purple bikes would probably look good with the red rim strips that are supposedly included in the box.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes the red rim strips are included but you know how it is when you just want to get it together and ride it around the block. Might try red tonight when I attempt tubeless.

mtbr member
    Some initial weights - medium stock w/cheap plastic platforms - 38.5 ish lbs (headed to bike shop for ghetto tubeless supplies next - will weigh there with swapped out thompson elite setback post and stem and different (but same weight) wtb saddle.
    stock saddle - 306 g
    stock post - 340 g
    stock stem (100 mm 7 deg.) - 158 g
    red rim strips - 152 g/per strip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Damn I shouldve got purple...looks surprisingly good.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

The Lurch Lounge

Well Rex, looks like we were both wrong about the weight
    The frames look beefier up close
    Look great

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As a complete and utter voyeur on this thread (me, one of the many 'guys still shopping for his first fattie' types), finally glad to be seeing, you know, actual bikes :-) and not invoices, shipping directions or accessories.

Looking forward to the ride reports and pictures in the wild Gentlemen...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The Lurch Lounge

So the bike didn't come with pedals? I thought it was advertised as sold with pedals. My orange lurch just arrived at my apartment, and before I head home I'd like to know if I'm going to need to buy pedals beforehand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think you answered your own question. You should buy pedals.

mtbr member
    Should have come with pedals: Pedals VP-530 ALLOY BLACK W/CPSC REFLECTOR

But that purple looks A W E S O M E

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The Lurch Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Should have come with pedals: PedalsVP-530 ALLOY BLACK W/CPSC REFLECTOR
    What he said...thank you.

mtbr member
    Well Rex, looks like we were both wrong about the weight
    The frames look beefier up close
    Look great

Pedaling
    My guess was wrong by quite a bit. Wishful thinking.....

Those purple bikes are looking awesome! Congrats guys.

Still waiting on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi all,
    Just pulled the trigger on a lurch, was wondering if one of you guys who have received yours could post a pic of the rear wheel seat stay clearance. Just curious how much room there is for larger tires.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackinator View Post
    upwards of 40 lbs depending on frame size.
    I still lost because I went over on weight :-). Just got mine delivered to the office. I'll be assembling it at home in an hour or so. Photos to come.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Would LOVE to see detailed pics and get some "first ride" reports. Also let us know if there were any problems in the assembly process. Thank you so much to those who are taking the time to share information with the rest of us. Congrats on your beautiful new bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So SOOO jealous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeking101 View Post
    Hi all,
    Just pulled the trigger on a lurch, was wondering if one of you guys who have received yours could post a pic of the rear wheel seat stay clearance. Just curious how much room there is for larger tires.

Thanks in advance.
    The Lurch Lounge-imag2409.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-1409867866113.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Awesome, thanks for the pics

mtbr member
    To the individual that asked again - there were not any pedals in the box.
    No assembly issues whatsoever. The only thing I've found so far is that there was one loose chainring bolt, and that tightened down easily enough.

First ride report: This bike is awesome. Snowshoes are great, minimal to nonexistent self steer. BB7's, once bedded in work great - not as good as the XT's on my Yeti, but damn close enough.

Samox - cranks seem fine and stiff, Q factor not as bad as I thought it was going to be. However, after several miles, as the front derailleur set in, I did drop the chain over the big chainring, and the pin to keep the chain from wedging between the crank arm and chainring is NOT long enough to keep the chain out, so stay on top of your high end limiter screw on the front derailleur. Maybe there's a bashgaurd in my future.

Fittment - I'm 5'10", 31 in inseam, 18" fits fine with sufficient standover for my preferences. I could not imagine going down to a 16" to gain a little more clearance. In fact, even on the 18", I'm using a Thompson setback post to gain a little room and would feel cramped if I went with less than an 80mm stem. But, I prefer to be stretched out more than some others.

More weights:
    Front wheel with rim strip, skewer and 8" rotor = 1886 grams

I didn't weight the tubes, but they are meaty beasts.

Snowshoe - 1335 g

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

The Lurch Lounge

so how many folks who got their lurches with pedals? just trying to figure out if it was an error or if they really aren't shipping w pedals? don't want to finally get it and then not be able to ride...Friday shipping date for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Note: If you plan on assembling the bike yourself make sure you have a T25 Torx bit to install the front disc brake rotor bolts onto the hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Help out a noob to the FatBike Scene...

In the 'budget' fat bike arena.... the Motobecane Lurch, with it's tapered head tube and 'thru-axle ready wheels' (per Bikes Direct website) is the lowest price option that could readily accept the RokShox Bluto fork, AND accept a 5" tire. Am I correct in that statement?

If a Bluto is on one's the radar, perhaps the Sturgis Bullet becomes a better choice?

Lurch, Sturgis, super-cheap Boris X-5...having a heck of a time deciding what to do.

Gotta say the purple-colored Lurch...WOW!

Candlestick Maker
    To the individual that asked again - there were not any pedals in the box.
    No assembly issues whatsoever. The only thing I've found so far is that there was one loose chainring bolt, and that tightened down easily enough.

First ride report: This bike is awesome. Snowshoes are great, minimal to nonexistent self steer. BB7's, once bedded in work great - not as good as the XT's on my Yeti, but damn close enough.

Samox - cranks seem fine and stiff, Q factor not as bad as I thought it was going to be. However, after several miles, as the front derailleur set in, I did drop the chain over the big chainring, and the pin to keep the chain from wedging between the crank arm and chainring is NOT long enough to keep the chain out, so stay on top of your high end limiter screw on the front derailleur. Maybe there's a bashgaurd in my future.

Fittment - I'm 5'10", 31 in inseam, 18" fits fine with sufficient standover for my preferences. I could not imagine going down to a 16" to gain a little more clearance. In fact, even on the 18", I'm using a Thompson setback post to gain a little room and would feel cramped if I went with less than an 80mm stem. But, I prefer to be stretched out more than some others.

More weights:
    Front wheel with rim strip, skewer and 8" rotor = 1886 grams

I didn't weight the tubes, but they are meaty beasts.

Snowshoe - 1335 g
    Thanks for the feedback and great to see the Snowshoes come in at a nice weight for being 72tpi 4.5's.

Annoyed that UPS didn't deliver on time today and hoping my bike is successfully delivered tomorrow...
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    who's going to be the first to slam the rear wheel forward in the dropouts? Since short chain stays seem to be in vogue .

mtbr member

Different Lurch Frames?

OK, let the weirdness begin. Hackinator, you're black frame is different than mine. Yours has a seat stay gusset, mine a cross bar, and I've got close to 3/4" tire clearance, one each side. You're showing <1/2". What size frame did you get? Looks like I already lost a cable housing clamp.
    FYI - the snowshoes measure out at exactly 4" wide @ 10 psi.

Frame Flex - not noticeable, and I'm a pedal mashing clydesdale. Even when standing and pedalling hard, I don't notice much lateral flex at all. On my 575, if I really get after it, the rear carbon triangle flexes enough that the rotor briefly rubs. Maybe the massive 190 spacing adds some sort of additional structural strength.

This might be the prettiest bike I've ever rode. I don't normally name my bikes, but this one, I think, needs one.
    The Lurch Lounge-img_3484.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_3482.jpg
    Last edited by watermonkey; 09-04-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added content

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What size frame did you get?

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	921009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3482.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	921010
    Mine is a 16" frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Lurch Lounge-1409872586541.jpg

In the wild. Loving it! I'll post a review and more photos later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

The Lurch Lounge

you guys all running high psi or does rim tape just pop outl ike that even at low pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Where did you get your scale at?
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    No pedals with mine either. :-( I know they weren't going to be top of the line, but I wanted what was advertised. Anyone else going to make a complaint?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That purple sure is pretty, it was a close tie with yellow, but I just wanted something light colored for once; all my bikes are black.

If my wife likes it, the second one will be purple

NeedGod.com
    Got my size Medium Lurch today. Took my sweet time putting it together and just admiring it. I have ridden a lot of fatbikes, and I am very impressed with the quality of this bike. Frame is beautiful, components are good quality from what I can tell, paint job is great, packing job was good. There were a couple of minor scuffs on the left side of the frame, but not very noticeable. Pedals were not in the box. I wasn't planning on using them on the Lurch, but I was planning on putting them on my wife's bike. So yeah, I will send an email to BD about it. Derailleurs were dialed in right out of the box. Brakes work very, very well for mechanical. I've always had hydros and I'm impressed.

Looking at the tire clearance, there looks to be plenty of room for 4.8's in the front and rear.

From previous posts, I know this bike is heavy. However, it really doesn't feel heavy when I'm riding it. Going up hills are fine. I can tell it's heavier than my 29er, but it doesn't seem to affect the ride. It just rides more like a tractor instead of an SUV. It'll drop a couple of pounds when I convert to tubeless this weekend. I didn't get in a thorough ride since it's almost 95 degrees today. I'll post a better ride review later. For those who have ridden a Pugsley, it rides just like one of those.

It doesn't fit the bike carrier, but it will with a few modifications to the carrier.

The Lurch Lounge-lurch1.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-lurch2.jpg
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    YESSS!!!! First in with Metallic Gray! So many purples my head is spinning!

First off, let me say this bike is VERY well put together, everything fits amazing and the frame welds are beautiful. Assembly went together just like every other mail order bike I've received (including 2 Airbornes) however I was not totally thrilled with the packing; more on this later.

As you can see from the box pics there were a couple 'blow-throughs' that had me concerned, but since all the pointy bits (axles and the like) had plastic protective covers this was a non-issue.

Heres my issue with the packing, upon opening the box everything looked okay. I lifted the bike up by the top tube and the frame and front wheel came out in one piece. The crank arm was 'threaded' through the spokes in the front wheel, immediately I noticed the front wheel was all kinds of dinged up (not just scratches, this is down to bare metal and rough) however the crank arm seemed fine.

Please note I have not spoken to BD yet to see what kind of resolution we can come to on the obviously damaged wheel.

Bike in the air, some red goodies thrown on already

and the money shots:

I tried very hard to get some pics of the beautiful Metallic Gray paint, but since I took delivery of the bike at 5:30 and it was well after 6:30 once everything was put together I was not able to capture how nice it REALLY looks but here are some attempts with the flash turned on.

Also my Lurch did not come with pedals or pedal washers. I cannot comment on the quality of the stem or handlebars or Avid FS5 brake levers as I changed all these out for other parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow, those Lurches look really nice in the pictures. So much nicer than the image BD has on their website. Enjoy them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The Lurch Lounge

Here's my orange.
    Pictures don't do it justice. This color is juicier and richer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast