Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 2,001 to 2,076 of 2076
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was one of the 2014 pre-orders and have been riding my Lurch year round for over 2 years now. Fantastic bike! After browsing this thread, I checked my dropout screws and they were bent, so I replaced them. The seatpost is garbage and was replaced after only a handful of rides. The cockpit was also too flexy and I upgraded that with a sturdier stem and handlebars. These items are pretty much standard to get replaced anyway reguardless of bike, so overall, this has been a fantastic bike.

I recently found a screamin deal on a 100mm Bluto on eBay that I couldnt pass up. Larry at BikesDirect sent me the front hub adapters at a great price and they also came with a complementary flask (thanks!). Overall, favorite bike in my stable!

IMG_2930 by ckcoolic, on Flickr

IMG_2929 by ckcoolic, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I thought folks might be interested in seeing my Lurch with the 29er+ wheel set BD is selling. If you have the Bluto or carbon fork with the through hub, the front wheel will work out of the box. Otherwise, the wheels come with a QR converter for the rear wheel but none for the front. BD said I could order one from Novatec, but a phone call to them received no response. I found one from MTB Tools for 21.99 and it seems to work well. Clearance is mostly quite good on the wheels. The only tight spot is where the front derailleur cable is cable tied to the raised eyelet on the frame. I'm thinking of moving the cable off the top of the eyelet and maybe eventually filing the eyelet off. Anyone have experience with doing that?
    So far the wheels are working well and I like having the 3 inch tires for general trail riding. The wheels are about 3 lbs. lighter overall than the Mulefuts (still running tubes in both).

The Lurch Lounge-img_20171024_125102-effects.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricColo View Post
    So far the wheels are working well and I like having the 3 inch tires for general trail riding. The wheels are about 3 lbs. lighter overall than the Mulefuts (still running tubes in both).
    How are you finding the wheels, do they alter the bike geometry at all? Thinking i should invest in a pair as a cheaper alternative to that n+1 bike I've been considering
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch
    2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    How are you finding the wheels, do they alter the bike geometry at all? Thinking i should invest in a pair as a cheaper alternative to that n+1 bike I've been considering
    I can't say I've noticed a change to geometry. Because the tires are smaller than the 4.8s on the Mulefut rims, it mostly offsets the taller rim size. My standover is still about the same. Probably less than 1/2 inch change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricColo
    I can't say I've noticed a change to geometry
    Thanks, that's good to hear. I see the 3inch 29+ wheelset on sale on BD right for 250 bucks for the lurch, they also have a 3.25inch 2.75+ set with same front and back hubs.

Now I'm unsure of which to get.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    After I ordered the 29+, I thought about the 27.5+ and wondered which would work out best. As I mentioned, the 29+ tire does have tight clearance with the front derailleur cable. Seems like the 27.5+ might also be a little more lively for trail riding. They probably are a little lighter as well.
    Part of my reason for buying the Lurch is to tour off-road. I'm looking at doing a section of the Great Divide route, and having done a section previously, know it will be a mix of forest service type dirt/gravel roads and some pavement. I figured the 29s would roll all those surfaces nicely with a load. A friend who I road the previous section with, and who has since ridden another section, did them on a Pugsley and that worked well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EricColo View Post
    After I ordered the 29+, I thought about the 27.5+ and wondered which would work out best. As I mentioned, the 29+ tire does have tight clearance with the front derailleur cable. Seems like the 27.5+ might also be a little more lively for trail riding. They probably are a little lighter as well.
    Part of my reason for buying the Lurch is to tour off-road. I'm looking at doing a section of the Great Divide route, and having done a section previously, know it will be a mix of forest service type dirt/gravel roads and some pavement. I figured the 29s would roll all those surfaces nicely with a load. A friend who I road the previous section with, and who has since ridden another section, did them on a Pugsley and that worked well.
    Eric, What kind of pressures do you run on the WTB 29 wheelset and how have they been? They're a great price (can't even get the hubs to build my own for 250), but curious if the i25 rims are too narrow. Have you gone tubeless yet? Any thoughts are appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've been running about 12 psi, mostly doing mountain trail riding, lots of rocks and some drops, and a little worried about pinch flats from running less. Would have liked to tried it on some sand riding in Moab but decided I didn't want to carry two bikes.
    For anything bigger than the 3" tires the rims are likely narrow, as you suggest. The 3s seem to inflate to a good shape.
    I've decided against tubeless for now. I wouldn't mind losing the weight but didn't want them to set over the winter with sealant drying. This isn't my regular ride, so in general I'm a bit concerned about the sealant just coagulating in the bottom of the tire.
    I reached the same conclusion on the wheel price and figured I'd get more riding out of having the two different sized sets of wheels. Haven't had much snow yet in Denver to really try out the fatties. Hoping to get up into the mountains in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    I'd been thinking of getting a new 29er FS bike but instead just ordered the 29+ WTB wheels for my lurch from BD, I already got spare 180 and 160 rotors. Now just gotta order the cassette and should be ready to ride on them as soon as they arrive until the snow arrives in New England. Hoping that makes the bike a little snappier as fun as it is to ride in any conditions I feel like I'll get more out of the bike with these wheels 3 out of the 4 seasons of the year.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Would love to see more photos of peoples lurches out in the wild, here's mine pretty much as spec, only had to replace a broken chain so far. Not had any issues with the handlebar, seat post or drop screws as mentioned by others and I'm a 210lb+ guy, getting lighter each ride tho

The Lurch Lounge-motobecane_fatty_64.jpg

I've since taken off the reflectors, will be adding a light for some night riding that I got on order, and of course the 29+ wheels once they arrive.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Got out to the local trails in the Boston area today before it got dark and had them pretty much all to myself.

The Lurch Lounge-img_1665ss.jpg

I realized pretty quickly I need to adjust the tire pressure as I was running too high and not getting the tank like traction i did earlier in the year. Also I'm out of practice at hauling all this weight up hill having been riding my hardtail trail bike all season. Looking forward to the bad weather
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    My 29er wheelset set for my Lurch came from BikesDirect this afternoon, the box was a bit beatup and wheels will definitely need truing but I figured that would be needed anyway.

The Lurch Lounge-motobecane_fatty_wheelset_nt-29-plus-2.jpg The Lurch Lounge-motobecane_fatty_wheelset_nt-29-plus-7.jpg

Took me over an hour to get them on, having not initially realized the rear hub needed to be taken apart and the axle on the wheels replaced with the one sent separately, not sure why this wasnt attached by default?? But anyways got the axle swapped and now have the wheels mounted on the bike, too dark to get out and try it today but looking forward to trying them this weekend. For the most part the brakepads dont catch the new rotors and the wheels spin freely, but as I said will need truing at some point.

Last edited by haymaker; 12-10-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been on the fence of buying a fat bike, and which to get. Finally settled on a lurch with a bluto, but damn I wish I could get it in purple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey50 View Post
    I've been on the fence of buying a fat bike, and which to get. Finally settled on a lurch with a bluto, but damn I wish I could get it in purple
    Heard that. I don't have my lurch anymore, but I really wish the purple was available with a bluto. I really liked the metallic gray that I had. Still kind of regret selling it, but I like my ice cream truck a lot too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'd been thinking of getting a new 29er FS bike but instead just ordered the 29+ WTB wheels for my lurch from BD, I already got spare 180 and 160 rotors. Now just gotta order the cassette
    What cassette did you get for your 29er wheelset? After only one round trip of swapping the stock cassette between the mulefuts and i25s, I'm ready to go plug and play.

I was suspicious about the 3" Trax Fatties working with the i25 rims, so I put a set of 2.5" Surely Extraterrestrials on mine. Are you guys noticing a need to run higher pressures than you'd like in order to avoid squirm/roll with the Trax Fatties?

mtbr member
    May 2009

Itís here and mostly built.. canít wait til tomorrow to ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesFloat View Post
    What cassette did you get for your 29er wheelset? After only one round trip of swapping the stock cassette between the mulefuts and i25s, I'm ready to go plug and play.

I was suspicious about the 3" Trax Fatties working with the i25 rims, so I put a set of 2.5" Surely Extraterrestrials on mine. Are you guys noticing a need to run higher pressures than you'd like in order to avoid squirm/roll with the Trax Fatties?
    I bid and won a auction for a Shimano CS-HG62 MTB Cassette 11-36T 10-Speed and got one for 30 bucks, seems to be working well.

I've not noticed any squirming, running them the pressure they came in from BD but i've only ridden them once, I've put the true fat wheelset back on to enjoy the snow here in New England.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

I haven't noticed a problem with the 3" squirming. I've been running about 12-15 psi. The trails I've been riding are fairly rough, so I didn't want to go lower for fear of pinch flats (still running tubes).

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

I have been ridding the 3" Trax Fatties since last spring when I got the wheels. I have ridden almost everything with these tires; gravel, pavement, hard dirt, technical rocky rooty single track, mud, and snow. pressures were mostly set by feel but probably ranged from about 12-20psi. I don't have a tone of MTB experience, but did not notice much squirm (if I did it was probably at lower pressures on hard surfaces). The Trax Fattie is a very fast rolling tire that still has plenty of grip on gravel, dirt, rocks, and roots. The tires are fast in light to moderate snow, but may require more skill to stay upright. As of now I'm designating the Trax Fatties as my "All Season tires" and I'm getting some studded Snowshoe XL tires for snow and ice. the Trax Fatties are not the best tire for any situation, but they work better than expected for most situations.

singletrack mind
    Would love to see more photos of peoples lurches out in the wild, here's mine pretty much as spec, only had to replace a broken chain so far. Not had any issues with the handlebar, seat post or drop screws as mentioned by others and I'm a 210lb+ guy, getting lighter each ride tho

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MOTOBECANE_FATTY_64.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	1170114

I've since taken off the reflectors, will be adding a light for some night riding that I got on order, and of course the 29+ wheels once they arrive.

The Lurch Lounge-15369064_10154765964960948_9048601695146886768_o.jpg
    Here is Lurch and I in the "Badlands" of Island Lake Rec Area in Brighton MI. This is our "the trails are shit but still want to ride" place to go. Hundreds or acres of sand dunes, two track, rock piles and some singletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bumping this because I just ordered a rigid Lurch this morning. Can anyone tell me if the newer rigid Lurches still use a front hub that can convert from 9 mm to 15 mm?

Very stoked on this bike after shopping used for a while. I plan on going 1x11 and swapping out the cockpit for Race Face 70 mm stem and 785 mm bar. Other than that, this things is nicely spec'd to roll right outta the box.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The Novatec hubs can be used with QR or thru-axle. The Lurch only comes with the QR parts so you will need to email Bikes Direct and ask for the spacers to use the front hub with a thru axle (about $20). When you get them remove the QR end caps and put the thru-Axle end caps on. I did this with when I installed a carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    The Novatec hubs can be used with QR or thru-axle. The Lurch only comes with the QR parts so you will need to email Bikes Direct and ask for the spacers to use the front hub with a thru axle (about $20). When you get them remove the QR end caps and put the thru-Axle end caps on. I did this with when I installed a carbon fork.
    Thanks for the info. I decided to scrap the rigid fork and cough up the extra $200 for the Bluto. I realized I can't use my roof rack adapter with a 9 x 150 mm drop outs. Kind odd they use a QR on such a wide axle. Oh well, Bluto here I come.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My new Lurch FS showed up yesterday and I gotta say I'm impressed. I was skeptical about buying from Bike Direct but it exceeded my expectations. The bike was packaged nicely and mostly assembled. Wheels and rotors were true, tires were seated and the fork was installed. It was a breeze getting it together and swapping out a bunch of parts.

The damn thing is heavy, (which I expected) so I swapped some parts out to shed a little weight:

2x10 GX drivetrain swapped for a 1x11 GX drivetrain
    OEM bars, stem, seatpost swapped for lighter Race Face bar, stem, seatpost
    tubeless conversion

Rain and lack of daylight will push my first first ride back to a few days but I'm looking forward to getting it in the snow.The Lurch Lounge-img_1384.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ive had mine for a few weeks and did a 1x front setup too and also scrapped all the stock alloy parts for carbon pieces, Iím guessing it saves 1.5-2lbs, im also going tubeless, hope to do that tonight, my orange goo and stems showed up last night.
    Even riding it in stock trim it carries its substantial weight very well and handles impressively, but Iím pretty excited to see what the reduction in rotating mass does for it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey guys. Anyone have any luck putting Eagle on their Lurch? I have a 2016 FS, and I have an extra GX Eagle shifter and derailleur that I want to throw on the fattie. I currently have a 1x10 setup with a OneUp 42t. It has an standard free hub on the Novatec D202SB-QR-S4S. I need to put on the XD driver on it to make it fit. Can anyone tell me if Novatec makes those drivers for my hub? I have tried reaching out to them a few times with 0 response. HELP.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Iím not sure, but if you hit a snag and canít get it done, the sunrace 11-42 cassette is direct fit and works terrific.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brockcot View Post
    Hey guys. Anyone have any luck putting Eagle on their Lurch? I have a 2016 FS, and I have an extra GX Eagle shifter and derailleur that I want to throw on the fattie. I currently have a 1x10 setup with a OneUp 42t. It has an standard free hub on the Novatec D202SB-QR-S4S. I need to put on the XD driver on it to make it fit. Can anyone tell me if Novatec makes those drivers for my hub? I have tried reaching out to them a few times with 0 response. HELP.
    Sun Race makes 12 speed cassette that fits a standard Shimano driver. Problem solved.

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmz90

mtbr member
    How are the BD 29+ and 27+ wheelsets holding up? Iím on the fence on which one to pick for my ICT. Does it mess with geometry much? How are the hubs? Does anyone plan on upgrading them or are you just happy with the $250 and youíre going to run them until they break?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    My new Lurch FS showed up yesterday and I gotta say I'm impressed. I was skeptical about buying from Bike Direct but it exceeded my expectations. The bike was packaged nicely and mostly assembled. Wheels and rotors were true, tires were seated and the fork was installed. It was a breeze getting it together and swapping out a bunch of parts.

The damn thing is heavy, (which I expected) so I swapped some parts out to shed a little weight:

2x10 GX drivetrain swapped for a 1x11 GX drivetrain
    OEM bars, stem, seatpost swapped for lighter Race Face bar, stem, seatpost
    tubeless conversion

Rain and lack of daylight will push my first first ride back to a few days but I'm looking forward to getting it in the snow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	1179612
    Matt - I'll be interested in your report on how your like the bike and changes. There's one for sale locally and its pretty enticing. You going to make it down to Wompatuck for SNOWPATUCK in 2 weeks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Matt - I'll be interested in your report on how your like the bike and changes. There's one for sale locally and its pretty enticing. You going to make it down to Wompatuck for SNOWPATUCK in 2 weeks?
    Local MA riders? I was there yesterday.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    How are the BD 29+ and 27+ wheelsets holding up? Iím on the fence on which one to pick for my ICT. Does it mess with geometry much? How are the hubs? Does anyone plan on upgrading them or are you just happy with the $250 and youíre going to run them until they break?

I have the 29+ wheelset and I love it. I measured the 29+ wheels/tires to be about 3/4 inch taller than my 4.25 Snowshoes mounted to the 80 mm mulefut rims. The bike is noticeably taller with the 29+ wheelset. I think the 29+ is closer diameter to ~5 inch fat tire and the 27+ is probably closer to 4 inch fat tire diameter. The tires roll fast and have served me well on gravel, grass, dirt, technical rocky terrain, and even some light snow. I have had no problems with the hubs they are the exact same hubs on my mulefut wheels. The hubs come set up for thru axle front and rear but also has the parts to go QR on the rear. The front hubs need different spacers on the ends to work with QR. I am happy with the 29+ wheelset and the only thing I have thought about changing are the tires, but these are serving me pretty well so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    I hope to make more weight saving upgrades and will certainly update as that happens. I'd love to make to SnowPatuck in a few weeks but living in Vermont now makes it harder to get down that way these days.

I really miss riding Wompy, I hope to get a ride in there when I'm down visiting family at the end of Feb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks VTSession! That is the solution to my problem. I was able to get in touch with Novatec, and they are currently working on a XD driver for the 202 hub, but nothing is finished yet. They expect to have the driver out mid 2018. For now, I ordered the Sunrace you recommended. It looks like a perfect solution for me. I may be sacrificing the 10t, but its for my Lurch; I am more worried about low end, not high.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brockcot View Post
    Thanks VTSession! That is the solution to my problem. I was able to get in touch with Novatec, and they are currently working on a XD driver for the 202 hub, but nothing is finished yet. They expect to have the driver out mid 2018. For now, I ordered the Sunrace you recommended. It looks like a perfect solution for me. I may be sacrificing the 10t, but its for my Lurch; I am more worried about low end, not high.
    Glad I could help. I've got SunRace wide range cassettes on 2 of my bikes and they're great parts for the money. You'll also love the low end gears on the fat bike, makes snowy climbs just a little easier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So what's the Lurch seat post collar/clamp size? Website says 29.8 so I got a Thomson in that size and its way too small. What gives? The QR one just won't clamp tight enough.

mtbr member
    May 2009

The Lurch Lounge

31.8 for the forte clamp from performance, they (performance bike) offer 2 sizes and itís the smaller one. I tried ordering a 29 clamp off amazon and had the same results, I actually took the stock q/r clamp into the shop and matched it up

Last edited by monkey50; 02-02-2018 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Whatís everyone using for a rear wheel skewer? Iíve got the stock one cranked crazy tight and I still keep kicking the wheel out of alignment at the worst possible time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey50 View Post
    Whatís everyone using for a rear wheel skewer? Iíve got the stock one cranked crazy tight and I still keep kicking the wheel out of alignment at the worst possible time

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Is there any way to use a stiffer, 10 mm axle on the Lurch? I recall being able to do this on the last bike I had with a 9 mm QR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Finished product (Eagle on my Lurch FS)

Attached are the final photos of my Lurch with Sram Eagle GX, courtesy of the Sun Race 12 Speed cassette. Stoked to try it out. Last item is to throw on the Eagle chain (tonight after work).The Lurch Lounge-img_6084.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_0297.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_1391.jpg

Sun Race makes 12 speed cassette that fits a standard Shimano driver. Problem solved.

SunRace | CSMZ90

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    New Lurch owner here. 2018 Lurch FS. I upgraded from a Bullseye Monster LTD. Just received it Saturday and put 10 miles on it. Loving it so far. This is the 22" frame model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-29389039_1097549410387678_1460160448232947712_o.jpg  

The Lurch Lounge-29356557_1097549333721019_122218190670397440_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

I had a set of the 29+ wheels and tried them. They were unrideable imo. The 25mm internal rims were way too narrow. You had to run over 30 psi to keep them from folding over the rims and that kind of defeats the purpose of having plus tires.

The wtb rims were rebuilt onto my surly commuter where they fit my 38c tires perfectly. They're nice rims but the sizing is all wrong for plus tires. You'd want a 40-60mm rim for a 3" tire.

I tried them twice and realized I'd just rather ride the 5" tires. I might rebuild the hubs with some 27.5 fat rims and try that

mtbr member
    Still enjoying riding my lurch with the 29+ wheelset around the Boston area through the extended winter season.

The Lurch Lounge-snow6fkgwcy.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_1613.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-img_1600.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-img_1613xxx.jpg  

Last edited by haymaker; 03-25-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    I had a set of the 29+ wheels and tried them. They were unrideable imo. The 25mm internal rims were way too narrow. You had to run over 30 psi to keep them from folding over the rims and that kind of defeats the purpose of having plus tires.

The wtb rims were rebuilt onto my surly commuter where they fit my 38c tires perfectly. They're nice rims but the sizing is all wrong for plus tires. You'd want a 40-60mm rim for a 3" tire.

I tried them twice and realized I'd just rather ride the 5" tires. I might rebuild the hubs with some 27.5 fat rims and try that
    I do know what you mean about the tire pressure, I am running at close to 25-30psi myself, but do still prefer to run them to the full fats for distance treks, but the fats are more fun in the snow, on the beach and in general. I wouldnt say the 29+ are unusable, I'm enjoying having the option of swapping back and forth, see my previous post.
    Last edited by haymaker; 03-25-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

29+ tire pressure

I do know what you mean about the tire pressure, I am running at close to 25-30psi myself, but do still prefer to run them to the full fats for distance treks, but the fats are more fun in the snow, on the beach and in general. I wouldnt say the 29+ are unusable, I'm enjoying having the option of swapping back and forth, see my previous post.
    Just wanted to give a different perspective. I've been running mine with about 15 psi with no problems. I weigh about 175. I've even run them a little lower, maybe 12 psi, but that does make me a little nervous about pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Clydeworthy Lurch?

Quote Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
    New Lurch owner here. 2018 Lurch FS. I upgraded from a Bullseye Monster LTD. Just received it Saturday and put 10 miles on it. Loving it so far. This is the 22" frame model.
    Hey man, how big are ya? I'm 6'7'' here with a 34in inseam and I've been eyeing a 22'' Lurch for a while now. How's she fit and ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Hey! New to fat biking and this forum. Assembled 2 Lurch FS bikes from BD. Did 1st ride with wifey along lakeshore past weekend -- all good. Then I noticed her bike's rear wheel is out of dish. Only learned that terminology after online research last couple days. My bike has rear wheel centered between frame. Her bike has tire just 5mm from frame on brake side. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but no bike mechanic. Have watched the vids, but don't think I should be attempting a fix on a new bike. Sooo, first, is this a problem to be concerned about? Second, if it is a concern, should BD make good on it? Many thanks for your thoughts on this! Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force2016 View Post
    Hey! New to fat biking and this forum. Assembled 2 Lurch FS bikes from BD. Did 1st ride with wifey along lakeshore past weekend -- all good. Then I noticed her bike's rear wheel is out of dish. Only learned that terminology after online research last couple days. My bike has rear wheel centered between frame. Her bike has tire just 5mm from frame on brake side. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but no bike mechanic. Have watched the vids, but don't think I should be attempting a fix on a new bike. Sooo, first, is this a problem to be concerned about? Second, if it is a concern, should BD make good on it? Many thanks for your thoughts on this! Mike
    1.) Make sure her quick release axle is fully seated in the dropout.
    2.) Try swapping wheels with your wife's bike. You need to determine if the problem is with the wheel's dish or if it is an issue with the frame. If her wheel sits centered in your frame, then the issue is with her frame.
    3.) BD should correct the problem...assuming its not fixed by #1 above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Geez, it was as simple as the axle not fully seated in the dropout. I feel dumb even posting about it. Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam. I have maybe 1" of stand over space on my 20" when wearing a light winter boot. Arms are 36" and it's just right for me with seat in back position. BD site says Bluto adds 1".

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

New Bike Pics

Hey Lurchers! Pics of FS model on my property from 2 weeks ago. Road Lake Ontario shoreline for ~5.5 miles last weekend -- AWESOME!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-fb-3-sm.jpg  

The Lurch Lounge-fb-1-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    And my better half (not the dog ) showing-off her new toy. She LOVES it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-mo-bike-3-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great to see some new Lurch pics on the thread, keep them coming

Here's mine from my first day back on the trails this season, great to be back out there in the wild, even if it is cold, wet and windy as hell with trees down everywhere!

The Lurch Lounge-img_1672.jpg
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force2016 View Post
    I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam. I have maybe 1" of stand over space on my 20" when wearing a light winter boot. Arms are 36" and it's just right for me with seat in back position. BD site says Bluto adds 1".
    The Lurch is a tall bike for sure, I also got the 20" am 6' with 31" inseam and have the same crotch clearance issues as you, it's even worse with the 29+ tires, i think it has added another inch to the height. A very high riding bike, i need to rebuild up my confidence on the trails being this high off the ground for sure!
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I recently picked up a set of Borealis fat bike wheels with surly bud and lou tires.

What parts do I need to make them plug and play similar to the factory wheels?

I have currently Vee Apache on my current wheels for urban riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Wheel set parts advice needed

I recently picked up a set of Borealis fat bike wheels with surly bud and lou tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delock View Post

If they are the same width hub set with quick release skewers, they should slide right into your drops. If you didn't make sure to by the right size hub spacing, you may still be able to use them with some adaptor caps to convert from through axle to quick release in the proper width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Badlands

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy_mike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15369064_10154765964960948_9048601695146886768_o.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	1177278
    Here is Lurch and I in the "Badlands" of Island Lake Rec Area in Brighton MI. This is our "the trails are shit but still want to ride" place to go. Hundreds or acres of sand dunes, two track, rock piles and some singletrack.
    The Lurch Lounge-2016-01-badlands.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-180714-badlands-map.jpg
    Use the 3 Winter Access (WA) points to avoid damaging the Blue trail.
    Enjoy Island Lake Badlands while you can before they close it off in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Tall Riders Note: I'm 6'7" with long legs. Ordered the biggest frame in Jan 2015. To keep handlebar height even with seat height, used about a 2 1/2" riser stem. Immediately destroyed the stock seat post, so bought a Thompson bent post.

Bent Rear Axle Drop Screws Fix: Bent the rear axle drop screws, so cut, reversed them to secure 1/4" fabricated spacer blocks. You can cut off bent screws with a 1/8" round tile hacksaw blade while still bent in the fame. Bought a quality axle QR. See early Lurch posts.

Now it's a fantastic well fitting bike with many miles!

mtbr member
    So I have the 29+ wheelset on my lurch and was wondering due to the height of 29+ wheels and the squishiness of them in the rims would I be able to get away with putting normal 29 2.4s on these instead of the trax fatty 2.9 3s? I think there's still enough BB clearance to get away with it.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So I have the 29+ wheelset on my lurch and was wondering due to the height of 29+ wheels and the squishiness of them in the rims would I be able to get away with putting normal 29 2.4s on these instead of the trax fatty 2.9 3s? I think there's still enough BB clearance to get away with it.
    I have been using 2.1 thunder burts for gravel and some trail riding with no problems. I have had a pedal strike or two on high spots, but I'm not the only one hitting in those spots.

mtbr member
    I have been using 2.1 thunder burts for gravel and some trail riding with no problems. I have had a pedal strike or two on high spots, but I'm not the only one hitting in those spots.
    Awesome thanks for the feedback! I just ordered two Continental Trail King II 2.4 , will try setting them up tubeless with the WTB i25 rims, looking forward to a more snappy feeling bike until the bad weather returns.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Awesome thanks for the feedback! I just ordered two Continental Trail King II 2.4 , will try setting them up tubeless with the WTB i25 rims, looking forward to a more snappy feeling bike until the bad weather returns.
    I used the WTB tubless tape for the i25 (30mm I think) and had no issues setting up tubless with the thuder burts.

mtbr member
    I used the WTB tubless tape for the i25 (30mm I think) and had no issues setting up tubless with the thuder burts.
    Yeah Just realized tonight that I would need the rim tape after taking the trax fatty tires off the wtb rims and seeing the inadequacy of the tape that was in there with the tubes. So ordered some of the width u mentioned after double checking on the WTB site. Hoping the trail kings are as easy as your thunderburts were!

mtbr member

29er wheels on the Lurch

Managed to get the new Trail Kings setup on the WTB rims and ready to ride, just waiting for the heat and humidity in New England to cool later this week! Looking forward to a less squishy ride vs the Trax Fatties from BD.

The Lurch Lounge-tires.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-front2.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-rear.jpg
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm a full-time traveler, so the Lurch is my only ride. I run a set of Geax Tatoo 29 x 2.3s with my BD 29er wheelset for pavement and groomed bike paths. I'm content with the fit and feel.

mtbr member
    I see BD no longer has the Lurch on their website. It kind of makes me sad. Iíve always wanted one, but when I was going to buy one I found a screaming deal on an Ice Cream Truck that I couldnít pass up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm sure this was covered but searching the thread turned up tons of results.

Any luck setting up the stock Maxxis tire tubeless with the existing Mulefat rims? I'm pretty sure the OEM Minions are not tubeless ready according to Maxxis but I figured someone was able to make it happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm sure this was covered but searching the thread turned up tons of results.

Any luck setting up the stock Maxxis tire tubeless with the existing Mulefat rims? I'm pretty sure the OEM Minions are not tubeless ready according to Maxxis but I figured someone was able to make it happen.
    I had some non-tubless (120 tpi) Minions I set up tubeless on mulefuts. I set them up 2 times. I bought them used and the previous owner had at least attempted tubeless because there was sealant residue with glitter inside. The 2nd time I set them back up I did have to use a strap around the outside to help keep them flat and force the beads onto the bead shelf. Once on the wheels they were hard to get off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I had some non-tubless (120 tpi) Minions I set up tubeless on mulefuts. I set them up 2 times. I bought them used and the previous owner had at least attempted tubeless because there was sealant residue with glitter inside. The 2nd time I set them back up I did have to use a strap around the outside to help keep them flat and force the beads onto the bead shelf. Once on the wheels they were hard to get off.
    Thanks man. I'll try the strap technique to get the bead in place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Always thought Orange was the coolest color for the Lurch. Is it ever coming back?

mtbr member
    It's Lurch Season!

The Lurch Lounge-img_4512-fells-ice.jpg
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    I'm a full-time traveler, so the Lurch is my only ride. I run a set of Geax Tatoo 29 x 2.3s with my BD 29er wheelset for pavement and groomed bike paths. I'm content with the fit and feel.
    I had enjoyed the Conti Trail kings 29x2.4 (see photos above) for the majority of the last few months, but it's snow and winter season here in NewEngland now, so the fatties are back on and the true reason I love the Lurch returns
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

Incredulous bastard
    So my lurch is looking a little different these days...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021