mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Lowest pressure possible on non tubeless ready wheel

I have jumbo jims 4.8 which are tubeless ready, coupled with a weinmann non-tubeless ready wheel, I already went tubeless and it was leaky at first but it has fully succeeded, how low of a pressure can it handle? (I know that the wheels might separate at very low pressures, I have not tried it yet but it is not Tubeless ready.
    i own a 2017 Fuji wendigo 2.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How hard is it to let some air out and see how low it will go?
    That's a rhetorical question.....btw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I could damage something like that.

mtbr member
    Too many variables to give you an answer. Your weight, snow/trail conditions, riding style, rim width, etc. will all have an influence. The only way to figure it out is to try it. Go down 1 psi each ride until it burps, then go back up 1 psi or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Use fattie strippers as they bond to the tire after a week or so. Might be a solution if you are worried.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Pikachu View Post
    Seriously? One only needs to air way down for soft conditions that require max float. What are you going to hurt? (Just don't be stupid and ride a bunch of rocky stuff at 2psi)

6-8psi for trail riding should not be a problem. Air down to <4psi and you can expect to start to have burping/failure.

bikeny has the right idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So....you are making posts about tires and how fatbikes should be designed....but you can't adjust your own air pressure???

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have jumbo jims 4.8 which are tubeless ready, coupled with a weinmann non-tubeless ready wheel, I already went tubeless and it was leaky at first but it has fully succeeded, how low of a pressure can it handle? (I know that the wheels might separate at very low pressures, I have not tried it yet but it is not Tubeless ready.
    i own a 2017 Fuji wendigo 2.1
    You canít go very low on non tubeless wheels as they blow out at the bead. If I were you Iíd go back to tubes or buy tubeless wheels. But be prepared for a sticky sealant mess somewhere down the road if you do pop a bead at low pressures..

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The mayor, I am fully capable of adjusting and understanding pressure, but it is easier for me to ask in case some people have tried similar tire combinations before. I know very well I could pump it down low, burp the tire and learn but I am a busy adult and I don't have time to clean up a mess all the time, just for the sake of testing.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Too many variables to give you an answer. Your weight, snow/trail conditions, riding style, rim width, etc. will all have an influence. The only way to figure it out is to try it.
    this man speaks the truf. if i run less than 10psi, rims get bent. if i run less than 6 psi, rims get broken, and there are long walks out of the woods...

...I am a busy adult and I don't have time to clean up a mess all the time, just for the sake of testing.
    Last edited by Rodney; 1 Week Ago at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    The mayor, I am fully capable of adjusting and understanding pressure, but it is easier for me to ask in case some people have tried similar tire combinations before. I know very well I could pump it down low, burp the tire and learn but I am a busy adult and I don't have time to clean up a mess all the time, just for the sake of testing.
    In that case, just to be safe, ride the maximum pressure allowed by the tire manufacturer at all times, ya know, just so as to not break anything. That will save a busy guy like you plenty of time to do important things like taking the tires off to clean out sealant.