mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Lou fits on surly Wednesday

I have a moonlander and a Wednesday. I want to pair down to 1 fat bike so tried the Lou on 80's and they fit great. Today's ride was a mixture of ice, mud and water crossing. Pretty much the worst case for buildup short of clay and everything cleared just fine. The frame is a small. Sorry if this has been covered before, the search feature didn't turn up anything. Photos for reference. There is more clearance than it looks. Camera angle makes it look like less.

P.s. the Lou is a few years old so fully stretched.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    wtf?!
    tubeless?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Tubeless and with an older tire. I had to make some drive train sacrifices. I removed the 3rd and 4th cog from the smallest and put them behind the 50t cog in order for the chain to clear the tire. I am running a stainless steel 30t up front. I live in the middle of the gear range for most of my riding so this works for me in the winter. I had a little rubbing in the 50t today on a very steep short climb. It wasn't a big deal and I routinely got rubbing on my pugsley with a nate on the same type of climbs. I just thought someone out there might want to know that this works as it adds to the versatility of the bike if you can live with the drive train limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    wtf?!
    tubeless?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    I had to make some drive train sacrifices. I removed the 3rd and 4th cog from the smallest and put them behind the 50t cog in order for the chain to clear the tire.

Probably should have included that in the OP.

And it appears your running a 2x crank in the outer position?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes on 2x crank on the outer ring but the wolf tooth 30t brings in the outer chainring a mm or so. It would be better with a 32t or a direct mount. Before chainline is brought up; I would reiterate that a 30t allows me to keep it in the middle of the gear range for most riding. I am only in the lowest 2 rear gears when climbing steep hills.

I would run a wider crank and 197mm rear but the wider crank makes my knee hurt, so this is a viable option for trail riding(for me.) I would need the higher gears in the summer, but I don't typically ride this bike in the summer but if I did; I would put on 3.8's.
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Probably should have included that in the OP.

And it appears your running a 2x crank in the outer position?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Yes on 2x crank on the outer ring but the wolf tooth 30t brings in the outer chainring a mm or so. It would be better with a 32t or a direct mount. Before chainline is brought up; I would reiterate that a 30t allows me to keep it in the middle of the gear range for most riding. I am only in the lowest 2 rear gears when climbing steep hills.

I would run a wider crank and 197mm rear but the wider crank makes my knee hurt, so this is a viable option for trail riding(for me.) I would need the higher gears in the summer, but I don't typically ride this bike in the summer but if I did; I would put on 3.8's.
    That's fine, you came up with a custom setup that works for you, but you shouldn't have implied that a bone stock setup was capable of running a 4.8.

You gave partial information instead of clearly stating all the facts.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It was a developing setup. Started as 2x and went to 1x. There was no implication or mention of the drive train in the OP, only that "they fit." Perhaps I should have been more thorough in the OP. Luckily you were here to bring it up AFTER I posted the drivetrain update.

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    That's fine, you came up with a custom setup that works for you, but you shouldn't have implied that a bone stock setup was capable of running a 4.8.

You gave partial information instead of clearly stating all the facts.

mtbr member
    NTM!
    You rock. Thanks for this. Your first post was plenty fine- gave me all I needed to know.
    Just put the Lou on mine. Stock rims. 2x11, not stock set up in case someone is losing sleep over this.
    Slight rub in the granny/large cog. I’ll tune that out with the limiter and will be fine. Or maybe space the cassette out a bit. Lose the smallest cog.

I didn’t think you were lying- but I was dubious.
    It fits great. Thanks!

—JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Threads like this are awesome and help out people trying to go beyond the limits of what was intended! Bravo to the OP!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Just put the Lou on mine.

Good god man -- finally real tires on both ends! At last you can ride soft snow -- or you can go ride road somewhere instead...

mtbr member
    This is my bucksaw with a well worn tubed Bud. I had to cut the side knobs off to make it fit. Running 1x11. Works nicely on the snow that we have gotten this year.

Posting here because it isn't worth its own thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lou fits on surly Wednesday-20190217_141738.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I had this laying around and drilled it out to use on the Wednesday in order to keep the axle from slipping under hard acceleration. Not that I am condoning this potentially fatal axle setup as I am sure someone will be along to correct me on this too. Here is a pic, view at your own risk:

mtbr member
    Hamsters, like cigarettes, are only dangerous if you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 2 Days Ago at 10:02 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    MikeSee-
    You just settle it down there fella.
    I am keeping the Merle Haggard hand me down Jumbo Jim’s, just in case you’ve found another desert drainage to stumblephaaak our way thru. With boats that lose air faster than a wall loses funding.

But yes. Now my fat bike finally has fat tyres though still skinnier than those on my skinny wife’s bike. Dammit. But at least she’s way lighter than me, way more fit, and just generally faster.

Now- where FJ put his Spanish resumes?
    I gots a trip to prep for.

And NTM- Jesus man. You might as well go BASE jump. It’ll be safer than running that axle set up. Plus you’ll shoot your eye out.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.