Looking for Summer Wheelset for Salsa Blackborow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Looking for Summer Wheelset for Salsa Blackborow

Hi Y'all,
    My new summer bike (Evil Wreckoning), doesn't have the ability to pull my Bob Ibex trailer due to its two piece rear thru-axle design. So I was thinking about trying to use my Blackborow frame, but don't really want to pedal up the hill with my 100mm rims and Snowshoe 2XLs, as our typical camp trip is 25 miles and 5k of climbing. So was looking to get a 29+ or 27.5+ summer wheelset for it. Since this wheelset will really only be used for just pulling a trailer (as my Wreck will be used for everything else), I don't really want to spend much on it.

So for the price, would the Bikes Direct 27.5+ 150/197 wheelset with 2.8" Rekons for $250 setup tubeless be a good setup? I don't mind paying more for a better setup, especially if I could get a 29+ setup instead. Or anyone have a summer wheelset they are looking to get rid of?

Thanks for any info - BS

turtles make me hot
    I guess those BD wheels are good for the price but remember, nothing's for nothing.

My son and I both run 29+ on our fat bikes when we aren't fat. We both have Raceface Arcs in 40mm with either Hope or Bike Hub Store hubs and double butted spokes. He has a 29x3 WTB Ranger on the rear, I have a Bontrager XR2. Up front we both run Vee Bulldozers in 3.25 inches. Tubeless is simple and perfect.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Be careful, I think 27.5 plus will leave you with a REALLY low bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If youre pulling a trailer uphill maybe the wheels wont make that much of a difference. Id just air up the meats and enjoy the big gear.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have a 29+ front wheel for a fat bike that is brand new I would sell you.... just the wheel no tires.. it's a framed pro x, has a framed pub hub 150x15, 45mm rabbit hole style rim.. $125 shipped. I bought it for my fat bike summer wheel but ended up spending $$$$ on a fancy set of wheels in a weak moment..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex View Post
    Be careful, I think 27.5 plus will leave you with a REALLY low bottom bracket.

This.

mtbr member
    I used 100mm rims in the summer for years and loved them. Just get faster rolling tires in the 4.5 to 4.8 range.

If you got a smaller wheelset and did a time trial vs your existing rims pulling a trailer, I think you would be extremely disappointed at how little you gain with the new wheelset.

Sitting at desks on the internet, many people think fat tires are massively slower rolling. They are not, unless you are on pavement. In real life, with the right pressure and small knob tires, you roll as fast or faster than smaller tires. I coast faster than my 27.5+ and 29er buddies all the time with the fat bike. Uphill is where I pay the penalty. So it's all about the weight savings, which you wouldn't notice much pulling a trailer, especially if you don't invest in a high end wheelset.

turtles make me hot
    I had Clownshoes with Bud and Lou on my fat bike for a while and while they were awesome on snow, they were slow just about everywhere else.
    I then switched the rear Lou to a 4.8 Knard and the bike became way faster.
    I continue to use Bud-Knard in all conditions except snow, when I switch the Knard out for Lou. I since switched the Clownshoes with My Other Brother Darryls. Bike feels great.
    I use the Clownshoes on my beach bike with Big Fat Larrys. Rolls on sand and pavement great.
    The bike is a lot faster though with 29+ wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm liking everyone's advice to stay with my current wheelset, and maybe just get some new tires for my rims. If I stay with my current 100mm rims, what would be the tire people would recommend to get. Running 2XLs front and back doesn't seem to appealing.
    Was looking at the Jumbo Jims, but wasn't sure if I should go with the 4, 4.4 or 4.8 widths. Any better options? Would like to go smaller, so my kids don't laugh at me too much.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Going downhill, pulling a trailer, you are going to like the traction wider tires provide.

turtles make me hot
    If you're going to stick with the 100mm rims, run Bud on the front and 4.8 Knard on the rear. You don't want to go too small or you'll get rim strikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I went with 26x4.4 Jumbos for summer use. They keep the bottom bb height reasonable and roll really well. On dirt trails they have lasted pretty good too. They roll better than the Maxxis Minions (27.5x3.8) and are about the same diameter on my second wheelset.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I'm liking everyone's advice to stay with my current wheelset, and maybe just get some new tires for my rims. If I stay with my current 100mm rims, what would be the tire people would recommend to get. Running 2XLs front and back doesn't seem to appealing.
    Was looking at the Jumbo Jims, but wasn't sure if I should go with the 4, 4.4 or 4.8 widths. Any better options? Would like to go smaller, so my kids don't laugh at me too much.

Thanks again - BS

The smaller you go the lower your bottom bracket becomes.

The taller you go the more rollover you have with respect to ledges, etc...

Pulling a loaded trailer is *hard*. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

If it were me, I'd put some 29 x 3" tires on this bike for summer use.

mtbr member
    And if you got a decent 29+ setup, you might just find that you enjoy that bike for more than just a trailer puller. Or when your complicated squishy bike is waiting for shock service, bottom bracket, hub warranty or anything else that happens to take a bike out of service.

Heck I just lost some nice spring riding time because both my main bike and backup were waiting for parts so I'm thinking maybe I need a back up back up bike