mtbr member

Looking at new wheels and need a lesson on Front disc space vs Rear disc space

I have a 2014 Motobecane Boris X7 that I'd like to get new wheels for.

It's a cheaper FB and for the money I'm looking at pretty low end wheels.

A pair I have my eyes on online have a disclaimer that says they are FRONT DISC SPACED and for owners of Salsa, Surly, 9:Zero:7 to check their spacing before ordering.

I *think* I'm ok to go ahead but am wondering how I could determine what I have is either front or rear disc spacing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Bike is sitting indoors nice and warm and I've got a caliper and other measuring tools here if needed..

(posting in Fatbikes and not Wheels since I haven't encountered this difference outside of the fatbike realm)
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hope this is "slightly" helpful even though it isn't 100% what you are after. I have the 142mm front disc spacing on my Jones Plus. I measured 2 of the hubs (both fronts) to have 14mm give take spacing between the end of the axle and the face of the disc brake mount. Both of those measurements are without rotor on hub and from the end of the through axle.

Previously, I had attempted to use a rear DT hub just for the sake of seeing how it would fit. That hub is a 135, but I used the 142mm end caps. With the 135mm end caps I measured 15mm from end cap to disc mount face, so add 3.5mm for the thru axle end caps and I was at 18.5mm; when I "mocked" it up in the fork, no way I was going to be able to adjust the caliper over enough.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

turtles make me hot
    My buddy bought a Boris X7 for his wife. She originally hated it. He had me build new wheels for it and then she loved it. I'm racking my brain trying to remember what front hub I used on the build as that will tell us what brake spacing it is.
    I text'd him and asked but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. As soon as he does I'll have an answer for you.
    If I used Bike Hub Store it was front. If I used 907, it was rear. I think it was 907.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Hope this is "slightly" helpful even though it isn't 100% what you are after. I have the 142mm front disc spacing on my Jones Plus. I measured 2 of the hubs (both fronts) to have 14mm give take spacing between the end of the axle and the face of the disc brake mount. Both of those measurements are without rotor on hub and from the end of the through axle.

Previously, I had attempted to use a rear DT hub just for the sake of seeing how it would fit. That hub is a 135, but I used the 142mm end caps. With the 135mm end caps I measured 15mm from end cap to disc mount face, so add 3.5mm for the thru axle end caps and I was at 18.5mm; when I "mocked" it up in the fork, no way I was going to be able to adjust the caliper over enough.
    Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My buddy bought a Boris X7 for his wife. She originally hated it. He had me build new wheels for it and then she loved it. I'm racking my brain trying to remember what front hub I used on the build as that will tell us what brake spacing it is.
    I text'd him and asked but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. As soon as he does I'll have an answer for you.
    If I used Bike Hub Store it was front. If I used 907, it was rear. I think it was 907.
    Thanks for asking your friend, curious if you got an answer?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Appreciated

Thanks for asking your friend, curious if you got an answer?
    I'm sorry. I did. I forgot. It has a Bikehubstore hub which means front spaced.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm sorry. I did. I forgot. It has a Bikehubstore hub which means front spaced.
    Hey thanks a lot! Big help.

Here's some turtle smut for ya

Name:  three_turds.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  12.4 KB

turtles make me hot
    Awesome. I am gonna hit the ceiling tonight!
    I like turtles

mtbr member