Looking for input on faster 27.5 tires.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Looking for input on faster 27.5 tires.

So I recently got a new Growler American Stout which comes with 27.5x4.5Ē Maxxis Colossus tires.

The fist time I took it out was on a pretty damp trail and they had fantastic grip, my son was dropping me on the straighter sections though.
    I had been on a longer road bike ride the day beforehand so I just chalked it up to to burnt up legs.

The more I have ridden it though the more I realize how slow these tires are.
    On tarmac With them inflated to 20+ psi. if I stop peddling come to a screeching halt it seems like. I even slow down when going down hill.

My guess is these tires will be great in the winter but for the other three seasons I need something a little less... aggressive.

What is out there?
    I really liked the JumboJims (4.4Ē in the front 4.0 in the back) on my Gravity BEM but they donít make a 27.5.

Or should I just bite the bullet and pick up a set of 29+ wheels?

This place needs an enema
    It's a fatbike. It's only going to go so fast. Swapping to a set of Barbegazi's or (to a lesser extent) Cake Eater's or D4 will help, but only so much.

Now, installing a set of 29+ wheels with a pair of Bontrager XR2's will make a substantial difference. Like HO-leee shiznit kinda difference.

I personally don't think a fatbike is complete until it has a set of plus wheels for non-winter use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Did a road coast down alongside a pal who had 2.5 and 2.3 DHF 29 vs my JJ 4.8 at 9 psi, my JJs actually rolled faster.
    Schwalbe really needs to bring out some 27.5 JJs!
    Building up some 27.5 wheels myself once I get a chance,Alex Blizzerk 70 weíre so cheap I couldnít resist. Havenít decided if I am going Hodags for speed or Van Helgas for traction yet. (Have private property trails so I can do muddy days) Project also slightly on hold as I have discovered my old knees really like 165 cranks so need to replace all my bikes cranksets with next disposable funds available. Have rims spokes hubs already so will build them and put aside.

Note riding in Southern Indiana so snow not an issue.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    Did a road coast down alongside a pal who had 2.5 and 2.3 DHF 29 vs my JJ 4.8 at 9 psi, my JJs actually rolled faster.
    Schwalbe really needs to bring out some 27.5 JJs!
    Building up some 27.5 wheels myself once I get a chance,Alex Blizzerk 70 weíre so cheap I couldnít resist. Havenít decided if I am going Hodags for speed or Van Helgas for traction yet. (Have private property trails so I can do muddy days) Project also slightly on hold as I have discovered my old knees really like 165 cranks so need to replace all my bikes cranksets with next disposable funds available. Have rims spokes hubs already so will build them and put aside.

Note riding in Southern Indiana so snow not an issue.
    JJ 27.5 would be in my tire collection immediately... If they were available! The Blizzerk is a great value and I too took advantage on a pair of b70's. Finding a 157mm hub that wasn't bandwagon black was a chore tho'.
    I have VH's and FBR's for em. Going on a Sergeant V3, they will.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the responses.

Yea Iím not expecting to get road bike speed but just trying to get back to at least something closer to the JumboJims I am used to.

Iíll first take a look at the Barbigaziís.

Trying to justify a new wheel set after blowing the budget on the bike is a hard sell.